It's Time For A New World Cup

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

FW
Kuski

It's Time For A New World Cup

Post by FW »

*relevant post will follow later on when I'm not busy looking pointlessly into my monitor visiting facebook a couple of quadrillion times, watching the same people spew out quattuordecillions of meaningless status updates*

/fixed

I think it's quite the time to arrange a new universal Elma event, keeping the settling and coinciding community from vanishing. The past few years, there has been an unwelcome transition in our ways of playing this game. The commencement of belma (Battle Elasto Mania) changed a lot of things in the scene. First of all, the activity moved, largely scaled, from #IRC, Lauta and individual fansites to the great application belma.

With a slow pace, lesser and lesser cups were established, players wasted lesser and lesser time on pack levels (if they even gave the time to test them), and the worst part of it was that the desire to battle levels over time for the perfect result dissappeared.

New players have joined the scene, or the belma scene, whilst some of them have fine skills at both playing and level editing, and yet the old players still hang around lauta and irc at times. The new scene has been used to this fast progression of level to level, battle to battle, and has never felt the desire for these long-term battles for beating records and such. And this has had an huge impact on the old scene, in my eyes at least. We've used ourselves to not feel the need to waste far more than 20 minutes on a level. What a waste of time, we think. I feel this is what happened to me, at least.

With this splitted community, with the old and new players not quite intertwining, and yet playing together - I think it's time to show the newcommers what the community has been and ought to still be. We need to pull us selves together and break our lazy new elma habbits.

Something need to happen to secure the OLD scene from completely falling apart. I'm perfectly aware Elma is far from dying, and that many new players has come and is battling in belma, and that the community is still growing, but we need to force the old community - show another side of elma. It's about time for the next World Cup!

As the cup-activity has vanished completely over the years, this would completely stand out and be a required freshment in the community.
I'm sure the amount of players would be massive - new as old - and I'm even more sure this would kickboost the community in a direction towards the old scene.
I think this is really needed if we want to safe this.

Please state your thoughts.
Last edited by FW on 7 Aug 2009, 00:10, edited 3 times in total.
http://tinyurl.com/yz6ak9 - Home of ANB, FWPP and BO pack
Old nick: Wezz
FW
Kuski

Re: New wcup

Post by FW »

/fixed
Ecchi
39mins club

Re: It's Time For A New World Cup

Post by Ecchi »

Yea sure, I'll gladly take last place in it:D
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
FW
Kuski

Post by FW »

Jappe wrote:maybe if we make enough new topics for it, that will happen
Even though I get the sarcasm in your reply, I agree to some degree in what you are saying. Obviously, the only way we'll get this ahead of us is by proving that the need is actually there. The only way to prove it is to post in this thread or threads like it, unless you have a smarter way of doing this.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Ecchi wrote:Yea sure, I'll gladly take last place in it:D
Ez race for last place :)
:mrhat:
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I have a dream!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Yes we can!
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

that is a pretty good motivational speach there. I fully agree there needs to be a new world cup even if it isn't run by the usual guys. I am sure there would be over 100 players in the results every time. World cups also bring teams closer together too as new styles and ideas get made and everyone tries to work together.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

the working togetherness is good. i've had not a chance to do that with NK yet. we were gonna try on elimination cup 2, but i guess that's out the window. i think raven has alot of bills to pay.
FW
Kuski

Post by FW »

NOW
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Agree fully, there definitely needs to be a new World cup, it's been too long and it's a major event for the community. what would it be like if we went without the olympics for 28 years?
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

jaytea wrote:new
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

i think TAP should do it
God Bless America
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

gimp wrote:i think TAP should do it
Yep, with zebra and jappe (nice level makers and organized some nice cup already). I know that jappe is not in TAP anymore but i think he already showed that we can trust him :)
Team SPEED

Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

just need someone to take the project over. hopefully you didnt mean tap should make all the levels, tradition has been that community sends the levels. no offense but tap levs arent on the top of my wishlist :/ they're good but not enough to fill a world cup, variety is a good thing and even simplest levels should be welcome, just take a look at some of the wcup5 levs
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

didnt think about that zweq. i only mentioned TAP because i think theyd be able to organize it best. maybe zebra could organize it himself, outside of TAP, and leave the option to having multiple designers.
God Bless America
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

I have said many times that it's not world cup if it's not arranged by moposite crew. Which means that I can't arrange wcup and wouldn't even want to do that. I agree with zweq that wcup levels are bit different maybe. px used to pick all the surprising levels to the wcup and that made wcups so interesting. My levels, after all, have quite predictable styles so they don't fit very well into wcups.

If it comes to the situation that I should arrange it, community could of course send the levels. Community of course includes TAP members so there could be some tap levs too. But in this situation that elma online is maybe coming quite soon, it's maybe the best way to wait it to be finished and then arrange the next wcup with all the online features and such.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
FW
Kuski

Post by FW »

zebra wrote: If it comes to the situation that I should arrange it, community could of course send the levels. Community of course includes TAP members so there could be some tap levs too. But in this situation that elma online is maybe coming quite soon, it's maybe the best way to wait it to be finished and then arrange the next wcup with all the online features and such.
Please no, this is the whole point of the post for my case at least. I think wcup needs to be wcup, the old-fashioned way as much as it can be. If the old guys is out of duty and not able to host it anymore, well then so be it - let the community take over. But the last thing we should, is to connect wcup to Elma Online in any way possible, in my opinion. This should be left all out from the newfashioned elma additions, and stick to the good old traditions from previous world cups.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

we cannot prevent people of hoyling wcup levs in belma, but indeed i agree with FW. In my opinion, World Cup should not include online features
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

hmm, why not? In last world cup they introduced a semi-automatic calculating system where you could just upload your recs and that's it. I think everybody liked that, and I guess playing online goes to that same category: it just makes the system more automatic. There are of course those 2 players who don't want to play online but I think the rest would like it. At least you would get much more people participating if it's arranged through elma online.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
FW
Kuski

Post by FW »

zebra wrote:hmm, why not? In last world cup they introduced a semi-automatic calculating system where you could just upload your recs and that's it. I think everybody liked that, and I guess playing online goes to that same category: it just makes the system more automatic. There are of course those 2 players who don't want to play online but I think the rest would like it. At least you would get much more people participating if it's arranged through elma online.
I think the whole basic idea of the need of a new wcup is to kickboost the activity of the community as a whole. Arranging everything through elma online will do nothing but force the online elmas position further, while a wcup actually have the possibility of doing the opposite - showing new players another side of elma, as it once were.

Sure it would be easy, straight-forward, and intuitive to arrange it through the new styles of the community, online based, but it wouldn't do nothing but boost the new elma community even more, and then what's left of the good old elma community?
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

What i think:
- We have to hear from Abula and px before we start anything related to the World Cup 6. (If they plan on making it, etc.)
- Automatic uploading script was awesome last WCup, keep it or update it.
- No battle events. There could be short events (2 days) but no battles.
- Must have levels; 1 pipe level, 1 rollercoaster level, 1 surprisingly shit level, few twisted levels (banana style).
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

The_BoneLESS wrote:banana style
Yeah yeah so you could win, nab :x
FW
Kuski

Post by FW »

What everyone agrees with it seems is that we need
- permission from officials (Abula or px)
- automatic script for uploading recs

What everyone doesn't seem to agree on it seems is
- whether the new wcup should use the new online features or not
- whether a group of players or team(s) should be hosting it.

Personally I believe, regarding the hosting question, that it would be a shame to put the responsibility on a team.
If we get the permission, I think we need to pick out a group of players from around the community to make this possible. To arrange events, to keep everyone informed and all other work to make it functional.

I suggest putting together a team that are capable of different aspects of hosting such a thing, if we get the permission that is.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

The_BoneLESS wrote:What i think:
- We have to hear from Abula and px before we start anything related to the World Cup 6. (If they plan on making it, etc.)
- Automatic uploading script was awesome last WCup, keep it or update it.
- No battle events. There could be short events (2 days) but no battles.
- Must have levels; 1 pipe level, 1 rollercoaster level, 1 surprisingly shit level, few twisted levels (banana style).
i agree on all points
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Bismuth wrote:
The_BoneLESS wrote:banana style
Yeah yeah so you could win, nab :x
not so i could win but so the cup be diverse and fun.

For example: WCup512 by MP

Was a very original concept and was very fun!
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

haha Bone,

I wonder who can make our surprisingly shit lvl. I have a few kuiski's in mind.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

- Kopaka knows how to make that automatic rec upload thing
- I can easily ask what Abula thinks of all this, maybe get permission to update the info on moposite (?)
- I can also collect levels etc.

I agree with bone that no battle events, just ordinary cup with maybe 2 or 3 special events.

though it seems that kopaka just started his own cup...
FW
Kuski

Post by FW »

zebra wrote:- Kopaka knows how to make that automatic rec upload thing
- I can easily ask what Abula thinks of all this, maybe get permission to update the info on moposite (?)
- I can also collect levels etc.

I agree with bone that no battle events, just ordinary cup with maybe 2 or 3 special events.

though it seems that kopaka just started his own cup...
I suggest us to arrange the cup ahead of all known sorts of cups, so that people are aware that community attention lays upon wcup in that area of time. We'll definetly need to place the event a bit ahead in order to keep people from hosting custom events then.

Sounds great, by the way! Then this might actually be a serious possibility!
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

FW wrote:
zebra wrote:hmm, why not? In last world cup they introduced a semi-automatic calculating system where you could just upload your recs and that's it. I think everybody liked that, and I guess playing online goes to that same category: it just makes the system more automatic. There are of course those 2 players who don't want to play online but I think the rest would like it. At least you would get much more people participating if it's arranged through elma online.
I think the whole basic idea of the need of a new wcup is to kickboost the activity of the community as a whole. Arranging everything through elma online will do nothing but force the online elmas position further, while a wcup actually have the possibility of doing the opposite - showing new players another side of elma, as it once were.

Sure it would be easy, straight-forward, and intuitive to arrange it through the new styles of the community, online based, but it wouldn't do nothing but boost the new elma community even more, and then what's left of the good old elma community?
I see your point, but having it in belma might be the easiest (only) way to get all those players from belma to play it. Atleast it would boost the number of players a lot. And it would still be possible to have results on moposite, paste results in irc ect.
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

Yep kopaka that's exactly what i thought. Then we just have to wait for the elma online to be published... :)
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Only reason you don't want to start a WC is because I will win.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

Wcup = moposite px and abula, random levels and good ones too.
belele
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

Is it possible to have like "auto others off" in the world cup levs?
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

i guess it will be in every EOL cup, Bis.
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

never thought to that, but would be nice feature and making sure that finished times are not shown publically on EOL site
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

i meant no event dealing with belma, of course automatic update and such things are nice
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

Ok look:
If every player that would participate in World cup 6 should pay to actually compete in this. Then it would get to a nice pot of some houndreds of euros. Some of the money though, could go to px or the other cup creators.

Its all about money

I mean why not pay like 5 euros, its like a cheap meal!
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

5€ is also the fee that came to my mind firstly, but how are a few hundreds € supposed to gather? do you expect 100ppls to pay? o,o at first, everyone will begin whining that they wont pay in a while, also i think that its not about money for px abula or whoever.... we have already met that, remember mila refusing taking money?
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I will design level.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Okay, money was just an altarnative. So, obvious this altarnative will not through, then there are two options left:
*The Nin idea
*That someone can pursuade px and abula and give them some elma spirit.