EOL play stats - presentation and privacy

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

EOL play stats - presentation and privacy

Post by Kopaka »

I have recently made some strides towards making play stats from EOL available. This means things like playing time, number of volts, number of deaths and things like that. I have a couple things I'd like some input on though. How to present this data, and whether there are some privacy concerns about this data to consider.

As far as presentation goes, I have made the background data processing such that the data is available in four forms:
Overall per kuski
Overall per kuski per level
Daily per kuski
Daily per kuski per level

So far I've added it to two pages, the level page as seen here: http://kopasite.net/up/0/playstats1.png this is the per kuski per level data, showing the daily here for just 1 day at a time might not be so interesting for most levels, but I imagine being able to select some day range is something I can do down the line, but that's a bit more complicated of course. An alternative to how it's shown now would be to just select 1 at a time that would be shown next to the besttime list above. That way there would be room for even more aswell, like volts per run etc.

On player pages it's shown like this: http://kopasite.net/up/0/playstats2.png showing both per kuski and daily per kuski data, that means all levels. You can select 1 day in the drop down menu to show.

So that's how it's presented atm., I'm planning to add it on levelpacks pages aswell. If you have any inputs write here.

----

Another thing is privacy. Showing this kind of data can tell a whole lot about people. How much they play every day, which levels they are hoyling. Which may simply seem creepy/stalkerish or may reveal which WR is about to be broken. How do people feel about this? Is it something I should be concerned about, should there be some sort of delay and if so how long? Something like a delay only for internals would be pretty technically difficult. (note that all data in the screenshots are bogus)
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Re: EOL play stats - presentation and privacy

Post by Mawane »

maybe show stats 2 weeks after so it doesnt spoils anything and show balles stats immediately, but afterballe stats hidden for 2 weeks? and i like stalking this kind of stuff :D good to know if someone is active recently. like we all like BoneLESS and too see if he has been on recently, could look at it ^^ Thanks Kopaka for making this awesome feature!

i like how markku has kopaka's shirt)

but isnt this kind of stats slowing down the server a lot? thats such a big amount of data to get
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Great idea as long as I can hide all my stats for everyone but me.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

bene wrote:Great idea as long as I can hide all my stats for everyone but me.
Could make some option to hide the data on your userpage for others, would you want to hide it from level page aswell (first screenshot)? which would give kind of an incomplete picture then. Others feel the need to hide it completely from your userpage?
Mawane wrote:but isnt this kind of stats slowing down the server a lot? thats such a big amount of data to get
Time will tell of course, but most likely no. The "background dataprocessing" I mentioned means it reads through new runs every hour for example, which is pretty fast when done chronologically, makes all the additions needed once and for all and saves a summary in an easy to access way, so the code that is used on the actual page you view can be simple and thus fast.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Kopaka wrote:Could make some option to hide the data on your userpage for others, would you want to hide it from level page aswell (first screenshot)? which would give kind of an incomplete picture then. Others feel the need to hide it completely from your userpage?
The stats on the level page is what I would want hidden really. Userpage stats I don't really care.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Show all stats. Most of servers from other games show all kinds of stats, like kpd, weapons usage etc etc but also which maps are played by players, show time and duration of every session. I've never seen anyone complaining about privacy. Kopaka, you can just hide stats form ongoing cup events and internal WRs. That's all.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Great idea, great stats.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Would like to be able to hide all info. But to see it myself then ofc.
ToMaT
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I have to say it's very cool :) Personally I don't think privacy is a problem, but I never hoyl internals so...

I don't know why it would be a problem to see what levels people are hoyling (except for predicting what level might produce a new wr soon, but tbh that's not a big issue for me). Maybe an alternative is to not include stats from runs where the player is hidden? but I don't think that's necessary.

Very nice! :)
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Personally I woudnt be interested in TOO much sach stats on the player profiles. Some is okay but it wouldnt matter for me if I had finished levs 35953 times or 90131 times, or picked 3149015531 apples in total or spent 43 hours of life using break or throttle. Its just a lot of long lists and random numbers not really telling anything worth knowing. Its much more interesting in the level per level format imo.

Other stats that Id also find interesting if poss:
1. total 1st places in battle, this already shown on ur profile anyway but whatevers
2. total 2nd places. Adds small reason to play for second place if think have no chance of winning for example. If 2nd places dont give u any battlerating/ranking/epenis etc, well at least it can be shown here as a secondary stat meby?
3. total 3rd places etc
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

So this might happen soon. Any further input on the privacy issues?
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

I kinda lean towards being able to hide the stats from others. I'm pretty sure there are many players who would really want that, while the majority probably doesn't really care.

Just noticed one problem during this ongoing Redesign Cup though: there are players who have accidentally played unhidden in their own cup lev. Usually this isn't this that harmful especially if the player is playing during night time and no one is watching F7. However, because it's easy to see many people's cuplev names, people can easily go check their times in teh level stats. Very specific and insignificant problem, but something to consider.
For normal cups it would be good that all playstats for the ongoing event would be hidden, regardless if the player has played shown (could be easier to do than with Redesign Cup where everyone has their own lev).
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Is this still a thing? I must say I've been dying for play time for years now! But I agree it should be possible to hide your stats from others (although I wouldn't do it).