Milestones of elma

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Domovoy
Kuski

Milestones of elma

Post by Domovoy »

Straight to the point: is there any kind of elma-scene milestones list collected in one place?

The reason is simple: I left the scene about 7.5 years ago and, naturally, a lot of things have happened since and I'd like to kinda bring myself up to the date, get the grasp of what is going on.

Who joined the community and what is he famous for? Who became inactive? What new programs and tools were created? What new levelpacks were released and what competitions were held? What tricks and styles were invented? How these styles affected the TT? What are the new trends in playing elma? How the balance of the top players changed over time? Who are the top kuskis? Who are the strongest coders? Who are the best levmakers? Who are the most active community supporters? I think you get the idea of what I'm interested in.

One way to get the answers is to carefully read lauta, but the "View unread posts" link kindly stops listing after the first thousand topics which is around summer 2011.

Another, preferred, way is to keep track of the important events in one place as Abula once did in Milestones of General and as it was done in News forum. I think it'd be very useful not only for me, but for everyone who joins or returns to the community. I honestly wandered around for some time, but failed to find such list for the last several years.

And if there's truly no such list, can we probably start it in this here topic? Please spend couple of minutes and tell me what is going on. I'm just lost in all these belmas, EOLs, Elma2s, Elmas for iOS, 32 TTs, publicly available cheats and lots of people I don't know :)
Domovoy
Kuski

Re: Milestones of elma

Post by Domovoy »

Oh, and is there any kind of eolish<->plain english dictionary or intensive training?
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

A good list would probably be GAA winners and nominees. You can find them here up till 2011 http://wiki.elmaonline.net/Golden_Apple_Awards including links to lauta topics which has the nominees etc. More recent years you will have to find the lauta topic but should be easy to find.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

No, IIRC there isn't anything like that. Now to think of it, it really would be a cool and helpful thing to have; I would love to browse through such too.

Some very basic info what's going on nowadays:
EOL is the core of Elma scene nowadays. You can't even have an official world record if it isn't driven in EOL. IRC channel #across @ ircnet is still going strong, and Mopolauta is still used for a lot of stuff, but the activity here goes up and down. Moposite is pretty much only used for WR tables.

Just a while ago Zweq and milagros shared a special saveload tool made by milagros where you can save a run any time you want and go back to it later, with different FPS and stuff (didn't try it myself but that's the image I got).

We had World Cup 6 eight (?) years after the last one, which Kazan won.

Kazan also made internal 30 WR with the always-speculated start shortcut last summer; http://kopasite.net/up/92nk38vd92my64c/30K3029.rec
That was beaten by Finman in second-to-last WR table though.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Lousku had the Elma monthly -site, which pretty much contained just those kind of things. Too bad he ended up being too lazy to update after a couple months.
Domovoy wrote:Oh, and is there any kind of eolish<->plain english dictionary or intensive training?
Here's something http://wiki.elmaonline.net/Acrossish
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Orcc wrote:Lousku had the Elma monthly -site, which pretty much contained just those kind of things. Too bad he ended up being too lazy to update after a couple months.
9 months in reality. It was a stupid project. The effort of writing paragraphs about everything was for no value, it only made the actual data less clear than it would have been as e.g. a sortable table. And if I had made that instead, it would have deserved a lot more data, so the plan was to make it a collaborative project. There was no interest in that.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I think elma mothly was a really good idea and really well executed. I loved reading news about anything elma-related in bite-size chunks. It was something I really appreciated, and I would really like to see it making a comeback.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I have actually liked it quite a bit too. Even though I am pretty active in scene I guess, sometimes I missed 1 or two things and it was good to know 'em. Also reks there 'n such.
But I believe it could have been a bit Sisyphus work for u. With no point, for seemingly noone.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

It was great indeed, especially for guys like me who check scene here and there and are not actually playing or haning on #irc.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Alright, well, it would have to be collaborative or run by someone else now; I haven't been as active as I was then.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

This topic should just be called bring Elma monthly back.
God Bless America
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Sign petition below if you are in favor of bringing back Elma monthly.

Signatures:

Code: Select all

igge
Bludek
Tigro
bene
Labs
Lee
Orcc
Spef
niN
Last edited by Igge on 10 Feb 2015, 11:14, edited 4 times in total.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Signed
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

+
Team SPEED

Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

yesh
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Yes, it was a handy site.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Spef
34mins club

Post by Spef »

Was very coal thingy to have, would like to see again.
[10:47:49] (Hosp) tol thinks that all there is in life is a gf, status, money blabl
[10:48:19] (ANATOLIY) not all hosp =)
[10:48:29] (ANATOLIY) but elma must be at second screen
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I too would like to see it return. But it needs to be done diffrently like lousku said. I Think that ppl could send a request for publication. i.e. if I am hosting a cup and I want it to be announced then I need to fill in a form on the website, or something. The only way that the old way would work now is if someone genuinely enjoyes searching for EVERYTHING elma interesting in the scene. Which I think is hard to do in the long run.

The problem with my suggestion is that a lot of people would simply not bother to have their shit announced, so it would miss out on a lot of important info.

would sign the petition but dunno how to!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

(Or make a poll about it I don't know how to.) :D

Maybe it's not a bad idea that it is not dependent on just one guy to handle, anything can happen - illness, further lack of motivation, death, etc. So there would be more people who would take care of this to keep it up constantly.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

I hacked together a small platform for what I think could be an interesting way to collectively gather and observe whatever's been going on all these years if anyone even cares, heh.

https://demiters.github.io/elma-timeline

Entries are updated from this sheet in real time (it's free to edit btw, just enter valid values if you do): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... YZHc#gid=0

It would take a bit of effort to get it going content-wise but should be a nice memorial eventually. Hope this is of interest to anyone. GitHub: https://github.com/demiters/elma-timeline
39:37,91
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

That seems great! I'm wondering what can be deemed worthy of adding. "roope joined the scene"? I would like to see when players joined but dunno if it's too trivial.
Cups probably are good to have there, and I already added World Cup 6 and doing older world cups next (if I can find accurate enough info).
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Maybe I could look into extending the library so more could be done with tags - categorizing, filtering, prioritizing, searching etc. Even the most mundane statistics can be interesting if enough of them are gathered and if they don't stand in the way of the real milestones.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Yeah, agree. Also, gotta think up a good category for things like "darmoed caught cheating".
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

At least need some objective way for putting more impactful events on top when zoomed far out and everything overlaps.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Yes. I think the default zoom could be much bigger anyway, now there's a lot of things overlapping and a lot of space in the sides.

Couldn't find exact starting and ending dates (god those old Moposite news updates by px :D) for World Cup 1 and World Cup 2000, I hope someone can fill them in.

Some ideas for what could be added:
- patches and new versions (Belma, EOL etc.)
- major things in internals like minute breaks in WR tt or making a major shortcut for the first time
- scene stuff like darm caught, TorInge retires
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
lompe
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by lompe »

2011 lammas joined elma
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Bring back Elma Monthly! :beer:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

I actually added some new stuff to the Elma timeline thing (https://demiters.github.io/elma-timeline) just yesterday. I'm kinda sad that it hasn't caught on, IMO that's a great concept that just needs people to work on it.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

In case you didn't notice: http://elmaonline.net/news/37
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Thanks Louskop! Good to add this kind of news :)
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Posted third summary this year: http://elmaonline.net/news/43

Dunno how many people these posts reach. Some emails were lost a couple of years ago, so if you want to get mail about news posts, check that your address is in your settings.

Also I'd really appreciate more help with gathering content (I'm not that often on EOL these days etc), so send me stuff that should be included. #eolnews on IRCnet or lauta PM or whatever.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I read every news post by you, I get notified by email. Very appreciate, now I know what a dick PELUSON27 really is! =P
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Lousku wrote:Posted third summary this year: http://elmaonline.net/news/43

Dunno how many people these posts reach. Some emails were lost a couple of years ago, so if you want to get mail about news posts, check that your address is in your settings.

Also I'd really appreciate more help with gathering content (I'm not that often on EOL these days etc), so send me stuff that should be included. #eolnews on IRCnet or lauta PM or whatever.
Your news posts are epic!
I would have wished something like that during my years of abstinence.
The variety of topics is great, it's well wirtten and I enjoy every line of it. For me it could be even longer (if people sent you more news), but I think it can quickly get overwhelming if too many not important things are presented.

Thanks for the work you put into it. I hope you find the motivation to keep this going, I appreciate it a lot!
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Thanks an lot for feedback! =)

July summarized: http://elmaonline.net/news/45
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Very got news, keep write more or bane. Could ez write 100x longer news also thx
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

These posts are seriously great lousku! You seem to be collecting a lot of useful info for kuskis. I've been busy lately, and will be even more busy these past few weeks, but I will do my best to donate something in a while. Thanks for sharing info put on nindex too :)
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Yes really nice to have those! I have been quite busy as well and for example had missed some of those most notable recs, was really great to see them now!
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

I very like this as I am too lazy to actively follow elma scene nowadays so a few of those recs and info have slipped past me. ty
ToMaT
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Very nice write-ups. I found the noobstyl competition thanks to one of your previous summaries and I wish I had been in that competition, because channeling my inner nab is easy as pie (wide pie).
:mrhat:
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I liked Elma Monthly very much
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Me too. Would be cool if someobiwan ken dobit again sometime
ToMaT