Is there luck in elma?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

gimp
Kuski

Is there luck in elma?

Post by gimp »

I was having this debate with Max in eol about whether there is such a thing as luck in elma. In my opinion there is not. Elma is completely at your control through sub-conscious reflexes which we have developed through skill over time, this results in the output of the times you achieve. I understand why somebody might say, "lucky ride" about their own ride or somebody else's, however I don't think there was any luck involved at all in these cases. It was all under your control, no dice, no cards, no random variables involved. Only luck I can perceive is maybe the fps changing for millisecond difference, or how every ride can be wtf different in a lev where you dont press any buttons. But this is so minute and may only matter at the WR level in hoylas. I dont see luck being a part of your average 20 minute balle though.

What do you all think?
God Bless America
danitah
Kuski

Re: Is there luck in elma?

Post by danitah »

I believe there is some luck involved yeah. When people are very good there is less luck involved sure. While elma might be 'completely under your control', it is impossible to foresee exactly what will happen, so some unexpected things always happen. So you can for example accidentally find a style, or miss an apple with super small margin (also thousands of other situations). Skill is more important, but luck is a factor in elma and pretty much any game imo.

Think about it like this: If you have 'no' skill (just pressing random buttons): luck is the only factor. If you play perfectly (optimal fps, style, and button input): skill is the only factor. Anywhere in between: both luck and skill is going to be a factor.
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

is there imp in gimp?
Image Image
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

all pipe brutals are lucky runs, you did NOT have it under your control
there is a reasonable probability you do it, so if you try enough, you get the luck
but you need luck
[carebox]
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Imo every hard trick has a probability of success to it, so it's fine. With pipe I'd say the problem is that when you get very accurate brake timing, you get stronger bounce -> declined ride, so you need luck to not play too well.