More clarity and usability for new users

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

k0en
Beginner kuski

More clarity and usability for new users

Post by k0en »

I made this topic because it seems to be very unclear for new users on how to buy and play EOL.

So I've got a friend who bought Elastomania on the official homepage (http://www.elastomania.com/) and he received Elastomania 1.11a.
Although when installed, he had no idea on how to get the newest version of EOL and get it up and running.
Is there any page for new users with a full description on how to do this? Because if there is not, I don't get how new players will get to play this game.

As far as I can remember, when I first got the game, I had to update to belma, and later to EOL, and change a lot of settings in the process.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Re: More clarity and usability for new users

Post by roope »

http://wiki.elmaonline.net/Installing_EOL

But yeah, I agree, instructions aren't very available. You pretty much have to know where to look from to find that guide too. There's been very many tickets for EOL moderators from new players asking how to install the game. Pretty much everything from "where to download Elma.rar" to "elma.res is missing!!".

I guess would be good to make a more extensive package too, with the right original Elma version and all included (dunno what Balázs would say about that though because it's still chargeable).
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

I think he should release the game as freeware and hand over the reigns to the players to do what they please with his creation. Im sure he made more money than ever anticipated and has probably moved on long ago from this game. IMO it should be downloadable in one simple easy to find package with basic and clear instructions on how to get it up and running and online. I think it would be great for this scene, bring some new life into it of course.
-brag
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Maybe EOL front page should be a very clear introduction for those who are not logged in or something? Something very simple: big links to EOL trailer (to show what it's about), installation instructions page (to show how to join) and Mopolauta and/or webchat with #across (to get help if the installation page wasn't enough).

Currently, to find installation instructions, you click "Help" -> "Wiki" -> "Installing Elma Online" (which is on the bottom of the page). And that's after Why not have that link with big font right on the front page? After registering, it can be less visible (or if that's still a problem, you could detect those who haven't played a battle and keep showing them the huge clear instructions xd dunno).
devin wrote:I think he should release the game as freeware and hand over the reigns to the players to do what they please with his creation. Im sure he made more money than ever anticipated and has probably moved on long ago from this game.
I don't believe that at all. I think he obviously sees potential in still making significant money from the game, as he released the iOS version only last year. It would seem stupid of him to give up that potential for the enjoyment of a small online community. Of course we want it, but he's more likely to lose money that way.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Lockyon
Beginner kuski

Post by Lockyon »

The main problem I ran into was after I bought the game and Installed it was that this
version was Elma 1.11a - Now because I have played it before I knew I had to update the game.
(In de past I would always have a friend send me the correct files so I could update it).
But this time I wanted to do "legal" install to see where it lead me. After multiple sites giving me instruction that I had to update to 1.2 and than update to EOL.
I could not find any link to a download page for the actual update. so at this point I knew what to do but I didn't have the files to do so.
And at this point I gave up on trying to find the right (legal) download.

x Lockyon
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

There's no perfectly legal download as those patches enabling you to play online weren't made by Balazs.

However, if you actually bought the game, I guess you can download this and still sleep with a clear conscience: http://teamspeed.eu/data/eol.zip
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

With different downloads from here and there it will only make new players more confused, good job Madness.
And btw, warez o,o
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Madness wrote:There's no perfectly legal download as those patches enabling you to play online weren't made by Balazs.

However, if you actually bought the game, I guess you can download this and still sleep with a clear conscience: http://teamspeed.eu/data/eol.zip
Link broken. No more elma for me I guess :|
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

ToMaT
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

I made a draft for a complete guide, lots missing still and some stuff I don't know myself. I don't have time working on it now, but if you want a look I'll pm it. Sent it to Kopaka already.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

Cant we just place the elma.res file in the folder on elmaonline.net and just see if balasz will care or not?
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

New link is broken as well.

:(
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Hosp's link works fine, if you're looking for a full Elma/EOL installment if I understand correctly?

http://www.jappe2.net/elma/ElmaOnline.zip
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Oh link was not working earlier, nevermind :)