Picture placement tips & preferences

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

kuchitsu
Kuski

Picture placement tips & preferences

Post by kuchitsu »

So I'm one of those people that like to put pictures in their levs. However, I don't think that I'm particularly good at it, so can you guys give me some tips please? One thing I noticed is that small "compositions" made out of several pictures usually leave a much bigger impression than some random bushes and trees scattered around the level. Anything else to think about?
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Re: Picture placement tips & preferences

Post by roope »

I really think pictures are part of the "authentic" elma experience, and just a few pics really liven up a lev. However, I personally have very strict preferences. I hate when there's a lot going on, especially in the middle of the playing route. Pics can look very pretty, but can also do a lot of harm to my playing by being distracting. A barrel here and a tree there doesn't hurt (actually in some cases pics help timing volts etc.) but too much is too much. I prefer to put pictures a bit to the side, so you can see them, but they don't "jump" to your eye. And for me, the biggest no-no is changing the sky texture. Always such eyerape and gives me a headache after a few minutes of playing.

Innovative compositions are always cool, and there's pretty much endless possibilities what to do with them.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Pictures could be cool if theer was some sensible way to add new ones (if you could add them to lev files or something (although that would get bloaty when inevitably abused)).

I just can't get excited about the same 15-year old clipart. They can be fine when placed away from the mopo, but often designers don't use pics like that, so I can't be arsed with going to options all the time, so I'm just low details always, except when someone spends sick much time using tons of pictures for some unique logo or other detail, ofc hev to check that out. Sorry for monster sentence.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

My only advice regarding pictures is to use them at places where u dont drive. Easy parts can have some pictures but pictures at hangs and in important turn and such is terrible.
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I hate when people put apples inside the end of a spike, so that you can't see the edge of it.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Bjenn wrote:I hate when people put apples inside the end of a spike, so that you can't see the edge of it.
That's why you shud get Lee's hollow aples =) http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9069
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?