Norm in Acrossish

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Norm in Acrossish

Post by Bludek »

AndrY wrote:I tried to play with ddraw in win8.1 three months ago but it didn`t worked. Perhaps I load it from other place. This ddraw is norm
finally someone uses "norm" correctly again!
I mean, I am not surprised that a guy from Russia uses it correctly (since it originates from russian laguage, afaik), but I very dislike, when ppl use it as a synonym to "normal". It is a part of "acrossish" language and ppl should know that.

just wanted to mention this, thx, bb, kk, gz.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Lukazz
36mins club

Re: windows 8.1

Post by Lukazz »

sorry for being nab, but i always thought norm is just short for "normal". what does it actually mean and how does it originate from the russian language? o,o
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Had a little conversation about "norm" in EOL, since it is an interesting topic and also to summ up my thoughts. It turned out, it does not come from any russian word, as I thought. It does indeed come from "normal", but the meaning is a bit shifted. Mans who use it in its shifted meaning use it as "ideal, optimal" or "great, amazing". Example: norm WR b0ne, gz
In some very rare cases it means "normal", but only if it is obvious from context.

It is the same thing as with "ez" and "impsy". As it was stated before, "ez time" usualy means "I (or someone better than me) can beat this besttime in a reasonable amount of time (like several hours or so)". Almost never it means, that it is actually easy to beat that time without dedication. U can also spy Ramone's signature for further reference.
"Impsy lev" for example means, the lev is somehow odd or bad (and it does NOT mean, that it is impossible to finish). "Impsy time" on the other hand means the time is very good and the person saying that is probably unable to beat it in given battle time (so again, the time is actually not impossible to drive, it is just very good).

From the examples above it is obvious, that mans in elma just like to exaggerate and it is no different with word "norm". Maybe it meant "normal" in the past, but, as I understand it and always did, it is used for something that is far superior to normal everyday stuff.

feel free to discuss
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Post by 5tr1k3r »

im agree with previous post
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Imo norm often means normal too. For example, when you're talking awith someone and you don't really have anything particularly interesting to say, but you still want to comment just to show that the person has your attention. Like:
- how was your day?
- i did some shopping, went to the cinema and then just sitted at home playing elma
- norm
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Norm is normal as ez is easy. You can use norm when something is normal or abnormal as you can you use ez when something is easy or hard.
You should move this norm discussion to some other forum and topic.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

im generally use "norm" to show that i have nothing to object, grading from acknowledgement (see kuchitsu example) to approval ("norm linguistic discussion") then to delight ("i managed to feel emma watsons titties, norm")

but i also use it to express sarcasm from time to time:
— i went to a pub yesterday, there was this nice girl. she was so cute and i guess she liked me. so i had a pint, and then i went home
— norm story
A.K.B.
37mins club

Re: Norm in Acrossish

Post by A.K.B. »

I was at convo. Hoho. Norm = normal, but with some elma connotations. Braggadocios in a way.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Ez norm = normal
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

It's just Elma abbreviations, there's no real difference in meaning, except that they are often not meant/understood literally, because of the way they are overused.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Also one thing to note is that people originally used "norm" to suggest that an incredible run/trick is so easy to them because they are so good at the game, making it "normal" to pull off for them.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I don't think all these stupid words were ever meant to be analyzed in so much depth. I have seen people call fucking anything norm, ranging from shitty levels to zweq spinning and call something ez they could never do in a million years and norm time or whatever the fuck. Luther will call a battle impsy if It is 5 seconds or 10 minutes despite any noticeable difference of difficulty. It all has no meaning, it's just something we now say for no reason. Its all a norm ez impsy CONSPIRACY of ambiguous adjectives.

An example of acceptable usage of the word norm and it's meaninglessness.

YOU: I played tennis with my niece today.
ME: norm

YOU: I just skull fucked a dead horse.
ME: norm
God Bless America
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Why can't we people just talk/write gramatically and semantically correctly? Norm question.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Tigro wrote:Why can't we people just talk/write gramatically and semantically correctly? Norm question.
Acrossish grammar, semantics and vocabulary differs a lot from English, mainly due to Finnish and Russian influence it seems, such as the omission of an "anticipatory subject/object" where it would normally be used in English (It is good -> Is good). I don't mind, you just have to get used to the lexical and semantic changes. Idiomatic acrossish is quite far removed from English xD
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

The day to day irony lives in many generalised words
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

What I find interesting is the use of )))) and (((, which I presume is because people use different styles of keyboards, but in eol it uses international keyboard so mans don't know where : key is. Never seen elsewhere. Also "mans", "xiit"
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

sunl wrote: so mans don't know where : key is.
Not really, ppl know where the key is. It's just that when Nekit first came to EOL, he wrote ")" or "(" after every sentence. Like:

Code: Select all

hi:D)
how mans?)
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD)
i super evil(((((
want N2((
:D)
At first it was annoying, but after some time people got used to it and some of them (including me sometimes) use it like that, coz fun.
A lot of ppl in EOL is able to write grammatically correct sentences, but they choose not to, because it is fun to use unusual words and sentences. Also it brings the community together a bit, imo.

quality "norm" examples in this thread. I agree with rus mans.

The last thing I find funny is abbreviation of word "possible". Since people use "impsy" a lot, it would be only logical they use "psy" as opposite, but since it is the name of famous kuski from the past (and former WR holder), they use "poss" instead.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Bludek wrote:The last thing I find funny is abbreviation of word "possible". Since people use "impsy" a lot, it would be only logical they use "psy" as opposite, but since it is the name of famous kuski from the past (and former WR holder), they use "poss" instead.
As far as I know the abbreviation "impsy" derives from the name of said kuski.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I remember there were some Elma grammarians in the past who would always insist that the usage of "psy" meaning "possible" was incorrect. I believe that there should be a discussion on this matter again as psy is not even an active player any more and a lot of newcomers don't even know who he was. Also, it would be much more convenient to just write "psy" instead of "poss", because it would save you the whole of one letter, which makes it several letters a day and several thousands of letters a year, which could considerably extend the life of your keyboard.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Saves more time writing pos/poss than psy because the letters in psy are more spread.
Psy will never have any other meaning than kuski name btw.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Yes, but most people don't type using one finger. Writing "pos" (with one s) is absolutely unacceptable as it's an acronym for something completely different. Don't do it, please.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Imo "psy" just doesn't sound good, makes you think of psychopaths or something.

I think talking in acrossish is a lot more enjoyable than in English. No stupid shit like "mouse -> mice", you can just say "mouses" and people won't look weird at you.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

writing ( or ) is a russian thing, used by a lot of russians even in public(ish) chats like twitch. rusmans explained it as them being too lazy to write down the :'s.

afaik, "mans" started as nekit's grammar mistake or something and spread quickly to other people, might have been used before too just like many other thing but getting more common along with nekit.

and as mats said, "norm" is a perfect example of day to day irony, just like "ez" used as in "possible" etc.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Bludek wrote:At first it was annoying, but after some time people got used to it and some of them (including me sometimes) use it like that, coz fun.
A lot of ppl in EOL is able to write grammatically correct sentences, but they choose not to, because it is fun to use unusual words and sentences. Also it brings the community together a bit, imo.
Yes. I also found it annoying, but then I got used to it and now I like it. It's part of unique elma folklore.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Madness wrote:Yes, but most people don't type using one finger. Writing "pos" (with one s) is absolutely unacceptable as it's an acronym for something completely different. Don't do it, please.
Are you implying I'm using one finger while typing? Look at your keyboard and you will understand, jesus man.
And lol "absolutely unacceptable" like acrossish would have such rules written in stone.. Take a look at the language, I see "pos" written every day in EOL. Get good.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

psy and pos should take no time difference to type because it's 1 press by 3 fingers either way.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Haruhi wrote:psy and pos should take no time difference to type because it's 1 press by 3 fingers either way.
That's not how you normally type. You keep index fingers on "f" and "j" while resting and reaching "p" and "o" quickly is easier than "p" and "y".
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I use one finger and look for letter, norm imo.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Chris wrote:
Haruhi wrote:psy and pos should take no time difference to type because it's 1 press by 3 fingers either way.
That's not how you normally type. You keep index fingers on "f" and "j" while resting and reaching "p" and "o" quickly is easier than "p" and "y".
It takes the exact same time.
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Madness wrote:
Chris wrote:
It takes the exact same time.
Probably if you try hard, but people are lazy.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I'm wondering if there's any record of when the word "impsy" and "ez" were used for the very first time and who actually came up with it. :)
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Impsy is very oldschool, Abula first used in lauta 2002. It became very popular use in 2008 in belma.
SveinR wrote:
Kopaka wrote:actually impsy means impsybility if I'm not mistaken, which is an old word for a pipe, but I know many uses it for impossible, I even do so myself
Impsybility isn't an old word for a pipe, it is a pipe (WCup317). Which was based on the older pipe Impossibility (MOPOCO08) (of course you already know this Kopa). So impsy obviously means impossible.

You can of course use it somewhat like Bismuth said, for instance in a battle ("dame impsy timz"), but it still means impossible.
SveinR wrote:
teajay wrote:either way, I always thought - and I still do - that impsybility was a pun on psy's ability on pipes. errr?
Sure. Because psy was the first to finish Impossibility. And of course, he went on to win the World Cup event on Impsybility.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Yes impsy came from wcup lev name Impsybility, which was invented by Abula or px, I guess Abula
NoobSty2-competition

Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Oh, I've heard of this cup level before. Thank you for the info. Any record of "ez" origins? :)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

The point at which ez was invented certainly wouldn't have a clear or patented point of origin. Think about how easy is used normally and how it could evolve unnoticed.

It would be easy to get under 31 seconds.
30 seconds is easy.
Easy for 30 seconds.
Easy 30 seconds.
Ez 30 seconds.
Ez 30.
God Bless America
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Ez was just a common abbreviation in teh internets (because of the pronounciation e-z = easy) and also widely used in across scene, then it just started to live a life of its own regarding how it was used
NoobSty2-competition

Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Orcc wrote:because of the pronounciation e-z = easy
Is it only me who actually pronounces 'ez' not as eezy, but EZ (similar to letter s)?
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Orcc wrote:Ez was just a common abbreviation in teh internets (because of the pronounciation e-z = easy) and also widely used in across scene, then it just started to live a life of its own regarding how it was used
E-Z has been used for probably hundreds of years. There's one in the short film Donald's Vacation from 1940.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

hue lovely tropic i orked to read it all.
For me: "pos" means position but is not so popular word, im not sure i always used "poss" as possible and never just "pos", but one s seems a little wrong. I was instructed very early in the scene at belma to not say "psy" as abbreviation for possible ever. When i started belma i was also new to english chatting and abbreviations in general, even smileys, elma chat saw my english grow, i was born in it, molded by it.
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I specifically remember talking to Stini about int23 WR-route when it was new (some 2003?) and using 'btw' as short for 'between'. Good times, good times...

Never used norm. Also never used blind smilies )
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

ez first use was sierra I think in #battle soon before belma was released. That's at least the first time I saw it being used.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Haruhi wrote:ez first use was sierra I think in #battle soon before belma was released. That's at least the first time I saw it being used.
No, ez is way older than that
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Searched my old #battle logs, others surely have older logs but this is what I found for first instance of "ez" being used there:

27th February 2003: <Cloud_IC> ez for a norwegian

With regards to the usage of "ez time" etc, this was the first in my log:

8th March 2003: <jsim[EMA]> 4x ez

And these are surely not the first instances by any means :)
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

SveinR wrote:Searched my old #battle logs, others surely have older logs but this is what I found for first instance of "ez" being used there:

27th February 2003: <Cloud_IC> ez for a norwegian

With regards to the usage of "ez time" etc, this was the first in my log:

8th March 2003: <jsim[EMA]> 4x ez

And these are surely not the first instances by any means :)
Haha you seriously save that old logs? Some effort :)
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Dats some old logs
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Bjenn, you can always count on Svein!
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

It saves automatically, Bjenn.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Madness wrote:It saves automatically, Bjenn.
Orka create a poll.
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

fun topic