World Cup - format

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

World Cup - format

Post by Kopaka »

With world cup 6 we made some changes to the format. Added a skip (meaning 14 best results counted, out of the 15 events), and gave everyone who finished a level a point. So I wanted to hear how people liked that format, and what the format of a potential world cup 7 should look like. The same, more like older world cups or something entirely new.

The skip was added to give people the possibility of missing one event without that ruining their chances, something which can easily happen, willingly or not, during a 15 week long competition. 1 point for everyone who finishes was done largely to encourage people to actually upload their replay, something which many may neglect in the days of eol.
gimp
Kuski

Re: World Cup - format

Post by gimp »

I was happy with the skip last time, definitely keep it.
God Bless America
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

1 point just for participating is nice imo. It's nothing but at the same feels good to get.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Kopaka wrote:largely to encourage people to actually upload their replay, something which many may neglect in the days of eol.
Will this still be necessary? Can't remember I even did it in World Cup 6 but if you say so :)

Edit: Just remembered only winner replays are auto-uploaded, so I guess in that case it would be necessary, yes.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

SveinR wrote:
Kopaka wrote:largely to encourage people to actually upload their replay, something which many may neglect in the days of eol.
Will this still be necessary? Can't remember I even did it in World Cup 6 but if you say so :)

Edit: Just remembered only winner replays are auto-uploaded, so I guess in that case it would be necessary, yes.
In a cup no replays are auto uploaded. So it's a question of wether we want those as extra confirmation/security, and of course to be able to see them. If I remember correctly close to twice as many played the events as sent replays. So would get more players without that requirement, but of coruse many of those probably didnt play that much, and might like the option to opt out of results.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

One skip seems reasonable, not more as it's a world cup.

Only people who upload their recs should be included in the results.

The point system was great.

Improvement ideas:
1) Show the event in EOL, make it possible for everyone to download the level just by pressing one button (not sure if possible)
2) Automatic upload of your best rec (probably not possible)
Last edited by Madness on 7 Mar 2016, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Madness wrote:except I wouldn't give any points to people who didn't finish the lev.
It needs to be like that.. Not everyone can finish if there is a hard pipe or some other special level like that.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

You're right, it makes sense if there's a pipe level.
Ithy
Kuski

Post by Ithy »

Skip was good to allow one some break from all the hoyling..

Don't decline levels this time because "they are too hard".

Please.
Mrrrr
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Mrrrr »

I totally support Madness' idea "2) Automatic upload of your best rec". Would be great to make it pos, if pos.

The point system is good, gives norm kuskis some satisfaction. Also 1 skip is reasonable.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

In WC6 all the events were equally long and I think it would be fun to have more variety in WC7. Anything between 3 and 10 days would be nice.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Zero wrote:In WC6 all the events were equally long and I think it would be fun to have more variety in WC7. Anything between 3 and 10 days would be nice.
I think this sounds like a fun idea, but at the same time I feel that a 3-day event can be kinda hard if you have to do something special for just those days. Sure, one of the key parts of WCup is prioritizing it and trying to find every second to play, but if someone has to travel for work for 2-3 days, or a big exam/project, or moving to another city etc, they're screwed..

Also, one thing i would like for next wcup is to have a person designated to make the video before the cup even starts, and preferably someone who can start working on it while the cup is running.

Organizing WCup and making the video etc is a lot of work, so perhaps if donations will be used for a prize pool, maybe 30% or so can go directly to the organizer(s) / content creators (excluding levels ofc). I think i would be more inclined to donate more if I knew some money was going to the cup itself, and not just the players who win - I know I will never get a part of the prize pool, but I will benefit from a better cup if the organizers are more motivated. I know it's not a lot of money either way, but knowing you can get a beer or two out of doing the job might just be motivation enough..? 8)
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I disagree with three-day events for the same reasons Igge mentioned.

A video is a necessity and Zero proved he's able to make a high-quality one. Where's the video of the previous world cup by the way? I can't seem to find it.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Video from WC6 does not exist, afaik. Maybe would be cool to make it even now, so late after WC6 - before another World Cup. Stoke-level increasing stuff. I am stoked anyways :)

Imo organizers of WC7 should discuss most of the stuff in private and not on lauta, but since it is not know who will organise it yet... idk, just wanted to mention it.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Yeah as might see from the topics I've created I've been trying to get a feel for wether people are ready for a new world cup this year. If that is the case I will definitely try to push some wheels. (but also tying up loose ends in regards to world cup 6 atm. :roll: )