EOL events

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

kuchitsu
Kuski

EOL events

Post by kuchitsu »

The "let's make the longest queue ever" event was incredible: the number of people participating turned out to be way larger than anyone could expect, and these two days EOL felt very fresh and exciting. Clearly we need more stuff like this in our community. Perhaps we could organize something similar once in a month or two months. Let's use this thread for discussing potential events and hopefully arranging them.

So, two questions for now:

1) When do you want the next event to happen?

2) What kind of event should it be?
- internal battle day (preferably mostly special modes like cripped, FF, etc? or maybe normal is ok? iltsu?)
- multiplayer battle day (try to find a partner in advance if possible)
- old levels battle day
- first finish/apple/flagtag battle day
- "effort lev" day (everyone spends a lot of time preparing hardworked levels, probably with battle time of 30-60 minutes)
- designer's exclusive day (Andry prepares 30 levels and only he is allowed to start balles that day; hard to arrange due to the way startballe.exe works?)
- ???

Also it is important to note that some of these events would require more promotion that others. The queue thing was very simple: even if a person didn't know anything about it, they would come online, notice the incredibly long F3 and immediately become interested in participating. But something like an old levels day would need more awareness I think. Anyway, discuss! :)
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: EOL events

Post by pawq »

Sounds good, already tried doing this a few months back, starting different weird special battles throughout the night, I think some mans really enjoyed it :) Happy to do it again (or to participate)!

I'm also up for an old levels day/weekend, can't see why not :) (anybody still care about the ranking? ;D)
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Elma is dying, please let it die with dignity.
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

kuchitsu wrote:(Andry prepares 30 levels and only he is allowed to start balles that day; hard to arrange due to the way startballe.exe works?)
WTF it is :mrgreen:
Even thought it, where I will find 30 levs? me would more like to have chris-apple-battle-day for example. but imo not very good too.

internal flagtag day would be nice, but it looks like finman don't like this stuff :mrgreen:
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

I would personally prefer an effort lev day out of those options. There are many people who are up for making a quick lev once in a while, but I would like people to pull up their best effort to see what they actually can do. I like making effort levs but often it feels hard to add them to queue because I would like to have at least a) some pro players, or b) quite many players regardless of skill level. It just feels like the lev has been made in vain if I've spent a lot of effort in making it and there's no one to properly appreciate it.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

LOM type of contest as a battle event. Could be 24h or so

Certain theme in all levs (enough room for imagination) and the "winner" will be voted afterwards with a poll
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Zero wrote:LOM type of contest as a battle event. Could be 24h or so

Certain theme in all levs (enough room for imagination) and the "winner" will be voted afterwards with a poll
Very good idea :beer:
Themes in levels are a very forgotten/underrated area of level designing. Many people I've discussed level designing with have said that the hardest part of starting to make a lev is the very start. At least for me, even a simple theme gives a great boost in imagination. That being said, as the last attempt of reviving LOM pretty much failed since I don't think it reached enough people: we have to think of a way to reach the majority of the actually active people.

Getting many people to participate in the queue event was relatively easy, because the concept was extremely simple: just add a battle. People who weren't even aware of the event beforehand could conclude what's up easily from checking out F3 (and chat), "I just need to add a whatever battle". To properly pull off something more advanced would require even more communication. For example, many people haven't ever made special battles (and therefore I doubt that they could make enjoyable ones), and the definition of a "quality lev" is very vague.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

You mean people get 24 hours to make a level and then everyone votes?

I like the idea, except I would prefer a much stricter time limit. In Doom we have similar contests where you have 4 hours or so. But it's a 3D game so obviously it requires much more time. In Elma 1 hour should be enough to make a pretty cool lev imo. Something like 30 minutes could be even more sick, just imagine the rush that you'll feel! Or maybe that should be a separate event, called speeddesign contest or something. Anyway, I'm very interested in anything design-related. But I guess what I want to say is that I won't be able to stay interested in the same lev for 24 hours. I will get bored in 3-4 hours max imo, probably even less. Although 24 gives a chance even for Uruguay mans, etc.
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

kuchitsu wrote:You mean people get 24 hours to make a level and then everyone votes?

I like the idea, except I would prefer a much stricter time limit. In Doom we have similar contests where you have 4 hours or so. But it's a 3D game so obviously it requires much more time. In Elma 1 hour should be enough to make a pretty cool lev imo. Something like 30 minutes could be even more sick, just imagine the rush that you'll feel! Or maybe that should be a separate event, called speeddesign contest or something. Anyway, I'm very interested in anything design-related. But I guess what I want to say is that I won't be able to stay interested in the same lev for 24 hours. I will get bored in 3-4 hours max imo, probably even less. Although 24 gives a chance even for Uruguay mans, etc.
I just meant that people could start the levels within 24 hours to keep the event fairly short and more accessible.

Not everybody can make a good level in 30-60m btw. Sometimes there is just no inspiration. The theme could be announced a few days prior in lauta.

The contest that you are suggesting could also be interesting but if we want true quality levels and that LOM feel I think we should give enough time to design
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

Sometimes I can make a good lev in 10 minutes. Other times it takes 3 days.

LOM is the greatest.

Edit: I make levels regulary, but ain't adding them, because think too cool to use on balle with few players.
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Just commenting on the first question: Maybe after World Cup, unless we think of some fun side event related to World Cup. No idea what that could be, ideas?
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Lousku wrote:Just commenting on the first question: Maybe after World Cup, unless we think of some fun side event related to World Cup. No idea what that could be, ideas?
Remixes or remakes of wc levs?

As a separate event, some apple battle day?
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Need some elma calendar if we start doing this fun stuff
ToMaT
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Reminder - possibly we can do it sometime after egp

Here was the poll: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9627
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Ok, so pretty much all current events (wcup, fem, etc) are over I believe. Seems like a very good time to do something! In the poll three options won, each with 10 votes:

- Old level battles day
- First finish
- Effort level day (like, quality levels made with care)

Should we choose one of the three? Which do you want the most? Keep in mind that we already had a "old levels day" in the past so maybe this time we should do something different? And also there was a FF cup recently, so perhaps that means the third option is the best? Or not?
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

about the effort level - good idea, for sure would like to see it, but i believe it would be just enough if people stopped adding 10s juka-likes shit for one day. im overwhelmed by these inambitious dwarfs. people must be having no shame to start them all over. it cant be that hard to make +30s map that is not few bumps and a loop.

ff day - well, theres never too much of ffs and aples
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Fejm
39mins club

Post by Fejm »

- Effort level day (like, quality levels made with care)
this
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

jblaze wrote: ff day - well, theres never too much of ffs and aples
this.
Team SPEED