Kuski map

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Kuski map

Post by pawq »

Hi all!

Some time ago I thought it that would be amazing to visualise on a world map where all the currently active kuskis live - to find out if any live near you, whom to visit, etc. Luckily, a website (grafetee.com) exists which allows people to do just that (thanks to whoever sent it to me!), so let's create the...

Kuski map!

In the above link you will be able to see all the already-marked kuskis, and most importantly you can add your own marker for where you live - all you need to do is click on the map on the right spot, enter your nick in the panel on the left (item) and click send it!

It doesn't take a lot of effort and I think in return we will get a truly fascinating representation of our community's diversity and spread :) So go ahead and make your mark on the world! ;)
Ruben
Kuski

Re: Kuski map

Post by Ruben »

Very cool. There's a really obvious collection around here it seems (no surprises there), then some odd nodes here and there scattered all over the world.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Nice. Added. :)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Added
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Found juka the islam man.
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

added
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

kuchitsu wrote:Found juka the islam man.
klassik juka :)
https://ru.dotabuff.com/players/116378900
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

added but i clicked wrong house, how delete?

edit:
Fixed, ty.
Last edited by Polarix on 9 Mar 2017, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Also, why none except juka the muslim and me, no picture. Boring zzZzzZ.

Also, cfilorvy is blocking me if watch whole europe. None will see me :(
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I can delete markers if anyone clicks wrong or sth, so just let me know :)
Pascal
Kuski

Post by Pascal »

Add markers with pics if possible. :) I tagged myself!
iltsu
37mins club
Team: EF

Post by iltsu »

Added
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

The idea is very good but seems the site needs an update to make users avaible to edit their location, add/remove/change pics, etc. Also the possibility to avoid fake users and locations. Hope site will be updated some day.
Added pic.
Nice stuff pawq.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Added. Where are all the Czech dudes?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I can turn on approval for tags, so that I have to check all those added, but thought there's no point cuz there's so few of us that I can actually just check all, and no point delaying :) Editing would be useful though, yeah.

There's obviously tons of people missing, so keep bugging people in eol to add themselves! Thankfully the link is really simple :)

Edit: I can actually add pictures for people, as well as move their markers. So if you want a pic added you can send it to me in a pm, on discord or on whatsapp :) (or here if you're that brave!)

Edit2: added my pic :)
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Another bad thing on this map is that if two or more people are tagged near to each other there is no way to know that there are several people there. You really need to zoom in hard to see that oke there are actually several people tagged here. Like me and lompe live very close and now you only see me tagged unless you really start digging into Oulu.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

I don't know why but I got surprised that Cfilorvy lives in Norway - it says Norway in his lauta profile location.

Kazan lives <100km to this thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Karachay
https://www.google.fi/maps/dir/55.16865 ... 40!1m0!3e0

If I have understood it right, the 100km distance holds for anpdad too. And for quite many others as well (1.1M inhabinants in Chelyabinsk alone), so quite norm thing in Russia maybe though.

Suddenly very many mans popped in St. Petersburg. One guy added them all? But shouldn't matter if they are correct? BBC is from Belarussia at least, but of course he could have moved there. Anyway some of them should come to FEM if there's so many of them close to Finland. =)

Twipley troll location unless he really lives next to quarry in an abandoned mining town in the middle of Canadian prairie?
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

nick-o-matic wrote:Suddenly very many mans popped in St. Petersburg. One guy added them all?
I believe it was Frosty (perhaps some people better remember him as DeaD_MoroZ). He has been at many Petersburg kuski meets throughout the years, so I'm not surprised he knows all these locations.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Nice post nom. Clearly there is reason to believe radiation gives you skillz. WR table might explode if Kazan staples a floppy with Elma on the town bulletin board.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

nick-o-matic wrote:Twipley troll location unless he really lives next to quarry in an abandoned mining town in the middle of Canadian prairie?
ain't trolling this time! :)

edit: here it's mostly forest, lakes, and small mountains though, but not quite as peopled, but still might feel or look quite similar to norway, sweden, or wherelse.
All bounces are equal, but some bounces are more equal than others.

i've just made head through poly; thought i'd share:
http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=323 http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=324
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

So you actually live at an abandoned quarry next to a ghost town with only pavement left?
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

ville_j wrote:Another bad thing on this map is that if two or more people are tagged near to each other there is no way to know that there are several people there. You really need to zoom in hard to see that oke there are actually several people tagged here. Like me and lompe live very close and now you only see me tagged unless you really start digging into Oulu.
Yeah, me Cfil and mats live within 20 km radius, and if you watch from whole Europe you cant see there lives more people in Sandnes.
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

Lousku wrote:So you actually live at an abandoned quarry next to a ghost town with only pavement left?
i don't know how it is in europe, but here when i look around i do not see houses; only wood.

it gets to -40 celcius sometimes, but mostly just -20 c as of this morning (i am 8 hours difference from kuski-time). in the summers it can get to +30 celcius or more, so we have about a 80 range on the celcius scale.

it might be difficult to imagine... for people in europe. i exchanged google-street pictures with someone in the scene (yeahs) some time ago, and we both realized that we live in a quite different world. i do not know about the rest of you europe kuskis, but it all seems very crowded at times, and at the same time quite ancient -- both attributes which i might not dislike if i went there. but my plans to visit or get there have never materialized.

to give an example, i now am living in this street: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Refuge ... 85!6m1!1e1

there is plenty forest for me to tread on. i take at least 1h rides on the snow with my snowshoes, here, every night after work, with my two dogs. yesterday and the day before that, it got kind of dark when i got back, and i got worried i might be followed by wolves or some kind of predators. but mostly, i guess i shouldn't really worry about that.

yesterday i spent the afternoon at the 'refuge pageau' (https://en.refugepageau.ca/), which i found to be at walking distance from the place i am currently living at. then i went following some private trails in the wood when i got back home. i keep in trails since i could get lost and die if i went offroad too much, since i never carry a compass nor a cell phone.

http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=323 http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=324
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

nick-o-matic wrote:Twipley troll location unless he really lives next to quarry in an abandoned mining town in the middle of Canadian prairie?
I just checked and the position of mine is misplaced. It should be near 'Amos', a little more south -- even though the place I am renting for my material possessions is still in 'Palmarolle', at the awesome beach of the Lake Abitibi (see https://www.nfb.ca/film/blackfly/), near 'La Sarre' to the west from where I currently am.

dunno how to fix this

Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Cool. Are you some kind of Survivalist?
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

Polarix wrote:Cool. Are you some kind of Survivalist?
Really not, but I guess I could become an adept of self-sufficiency, which I find cool. I want to grow edible mushrooms and many kinds of plants in the future. I am locating myself outside the mainstream as such, for example every kind of media. I dislike watching tv or listening to the radio, and every kind of advertisement.

Most people here are normal and not like me in those spheres -- I just am some kind of a solitary dog. :)

EDIT: And I lived in the woods for 16 months to advance various projects, living in voluntary solitude (with my dog). I know nobody else around here who has ever done something similar. :)

Came back some months ago...

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I moved your marker to the place you attached (near Refuge Pageau), if you want I can delete it and let you place it again, or you can tell me where exactly to move it :)

On a side note: I'm jealous. Not of living a completely solitary live, but of your closeness to nature and a more natural way of life (as well as the climate). I've been recently pondering that one day I'd like to move to Greenland for a few months to try and live that life, see how it would change me. I think those circumstances would be quite similar to yours atm.

I feel like I need to talk to you a bit more at some point :)
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

ley wrote:i don't know how it is in europe, but here when i look around i do not see houses; only wood.
It really depends on the place. Central Europe is mostly pretty crowded and you can't really get away from noise in places like NL, but e.g. Nordic countries have lots of really secluded areas. Here's a population density map: https://i.imgur.com/18BoVSI.jpg
ley wrote:to give an example, i now am living in this street: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Refuge ... 85!6m1!1e1
This is more understandable. The quarry seemed way too fun to be true. :D Anyway that seems great, and I would prefer to live away from cities too, if not for limitations. Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a good peaceful place to live.

What I find funny and impressive about Canada is that your road networks are vaguely grid-like even way out in the countryside. In Europe, even cities are often not clear grids. It has to be mostly due to the age of the roads, and terrain, but it's a funny difference anyway.
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

ley wrote:I just checked and the position of mine is misplaced. It should be near 'Amos', a little more south -- even though the place I am renting for my material possessions is still in 'Palmarolle', at the awesome beach of the Lake Abitibi (see https://www.nfb.ca/film/blackfly/), near 'La Sarre' to the west from where I currently am.

dunno how to fix this
That makes much better sense now, nobody questioned that you could be living in a remote area but that Joutel ghost town was just weird. =)

As Lousku already brought up, Finland (and other Nordic countries) have similar areas as well. We don't really have really densely populated areas at all and even around biggest cities it is possible to find at least semi-pristine nature. Some parts of Finland also have about 80-degree temperature scale as well.

I find your lifestyle really interesting although I would not like it in as extreme extent as you. I like northern nature and we will go on 4-day skii'ing hike to Lapland on Easter with my family. My parents have an organic farm and my father values being close to nature and he has built very nice log house from logs from own forest etc. We (like pretty much any farm) could in principle go self-sufficient quite easily at least if fuel for tractor etc doesn't count... =)
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

nick-o-matic wrote:I find your lifestyle really interesting although I would not like it in as extreme extent as you.
Well, I must say that my period of great solitude was necessary to be productive, or original, in various 'creative' projects, and that it might have been a once-in-a-lifetime thing. But usually yeah, I might be having a lifestyle similar to yours: my father was really close to nature too, and I find myself at peace the more I am surrounded by quiet nature -- after all, who isn't? :)

As a matter of fact, I have to bring up that I will probably never go the way of what could be called 'actual self-sufficiency', although I -- as most of you probably are -- am quite fond of the concept.
nick-o-matic wrote:As Lousku already brought up, Finland (and other Nordic countries) have similar areas as well. We don't really have really densely populated areas at all and even around biggest cities it is possible to find at least semi-pristine nature. Some parts of Finland also have about 80-degree temperature scale as well.
This is really interesting. I will have to visit this at some point in my life. I guess that in addition to what we have here, you have easier access points to big mountains and to the nice landscapes that are coming with them.

I have often considered moving to Europe, me who have never even visited it. If only my diplomas and job situation would be compatible -- and perhaps that, to a certain extent, they are -- then I might be tempted. Hard to tell why, but I am feeling, deep inside, that I am belonging to Europe.

Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

ley wrote:
nick-o-matic wrote:you have easier access points to big mountains and to the nice landscapes that are coming with them.
finland is as flat as can be, our biggest "mountain" is some 1km high glorified anthill, norway and parts of sweden are very nice though, i envy them. ofc they are still relatively close but not that close unless you live near the borders but its still requires a planned trip
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

:beer:
Last edited by Polarix on 29 Mar 2017, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Vermin Supreme wrote:
ley wrote:
nick-o-matic wrote:you have easier access points to big mountains and to the nice landscapes that are coming with them.
finland is as flat as can be, our biggest "mountain" is some 1km high glorified anthill, norway and parts of sweden are very nice though, i envy them. ofc they are still relatively close but not that close unless you live near the borders but its still requires a planned trip
The highest point in Finland is in the middle of a mountain. The summit is in Norway. Kinda sad really. Some people wanted to change border so the summit would be in Finland, but it never happend it seems.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I'm checking out this map for trip. Maybe when I get locations more confirmed I can try and get more kuskis together in one spot for a meet?
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
error
Kuski
Team: 27

Post by error »

added
twitch streams | one-handed | EOL winrate 20.1 %
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Przzt is in Moscow twice :o
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I kinda want to bump this. It tells me that 142 kuskis are marked on the map already!!! It grew into an amazing geographic elma resource, would be max to keep it growing :)
mena
39mins club

Post by mena »

Due to changes in Google Maps API pricing, all Grafetee services and maps will close PERMANENTLY IN COUPLE OF HOURS! Thanks everyone, it was a fun trip!
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

mena wrote: 9 Oct 2018, 17:02
Due to changes in Google Maps API pricing, all Grafetee services and maps will close PERMANENTLY IN COUPLE OF HOURS! Thanks everyone, it was a fun trip!
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Hi, yes, sorry, I kinda forgot to post here eventually. I noticed this a few weeks back (it's only been saying "in a couple of hours" since, well, a bit less than a few weeks, but quite some time anyway). I downloaded a backup so it's safe with me. Since then I tried several alternatives, including Google's My Maps, but sadly (and annoyingly!) they all have one major flaw: there are only two user modes: viewer and editor, where a viewer can't even add new markers, and an editor can do everything, including clearing the db. Grafetee had the amazing third option of being able to add new markers but not edit existing ones, and it's beyond me why nobody else thought of this, but it is what it is.

I'll pull myself together to do another search, maybe this one will be more fruitful. If worst comes to worst, we can just have a public one and backup the db every now and then. In that case the worst that can happen is we lose the data since the previous backup... which is probably better than having no map at all. Of course if somebody knows of a reasonable alternative, PLS YELL :)
Domovoy
Kuski

Post by Domovoy »

pawq wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 00:31 if somebody knows of a reasonable alternative, PLS YELL :)
I think having our own thing is a reasonable alternative. I'm happy to create and host it if it's still needed.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

If you can indeed and if it's not an unreasonable amount of effort, then it would definitely be great! Pm me to talk about details (or come to discord), if you're still interested in making something :)
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Wondering if this thing is still a thing and/or if there are any other options to get a kuski map back up and running?
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

You're reading my mind dude! I actually forgot to post here, but a week ago or sth I searched for a suitable platform again, didn't find any, so Kopaka took the matters into his own hands!

https://test.elma.online/map

(you may have to switch to a different page on the site and back for it to work)

These are markers exported from the old map at grafetee, as soon as it's deployed to elma.online everyone on EOL will be able to add/update their own! :)
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

very coal!
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
ROKKEBOL
Kuski

Post by ROKKEBOL »

Cant login on the site nor register, but i guess it's because test stage. Still very nice that the map is back, gj :beer:

a l v i n
Kuski

Post by a l v i n »

I can't log in. It says I llready had register .. and I forgott my password.. I didn't remember my register...
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

pawq wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 15:50as soon as it's deployed to elma.online everyone on EOL will be able to add/update their own! :)
Read carefully :wink: As ROKKEBOL correctly figured out, it's a test version of the site (test.elma.online), so nobody but Kopaka has access. Once it's deployed to the main site (elma.online), everyone with an EOL account will be able to add/edit their marker.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

So finally, after more than 3 years since the idea's conception, we now have our own, fully-functional integrated solution!

https://elma.online/map

Huge thanks to Kopaka for implementing it and importing the old data. I linked the grafetee export to EOL ids, so if you added a marker to the old map, then it should be there on elma.online, linked to your account. If you place a new one while logged in, the old will simply be removed :)

Go for update all!

Edit: looking at tomator's marker in Tromso, I wonder what % of the world's population lives further north than him :D