New EOL site mockups

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

New EOL site mockups

Post by 8-ball »

Some people have started creating design mockups for new EOL site to gather some feedback and maybe inspire others to create mockups with their own ideas as well.

Check out the work of me, skint and ville_j and leave some comments here: https://github.com/elmadev/elmaonline-site/issues/24

And maybe try to be more descriptive and specific than "I like" or "I don't like". Then we can take the best parts of all ideas and come up with something great.

Also be sure to come by #developers on Elma Discord to be among the first to find out and talk about new developments of EOL site, Elma 2 and other stuff.
Last edited by 8-ball on 1 Apr 2017, 09:26, edited 2 times in total.
39:37,91
umiz
Kuski

Re: New EOL site mockups

Post by umiz »

I like the cumiz-design :beer:
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Would be really nice to get some feedback and comments on these. We are slowly starting to choose tools and frameworks, now it's still easy for everyone to have their say and input on how the new eol site will turn out. Of course things can be changed later too, but would be nicer to get it right from the start rather than witness "omg horror eww" comments once we have already started writing the site =)

So if you have any thoughts please share. Would be nice to hear how much people (would) use the site with mobile devices for example and how important the whole mobile aspect is. Also keep in mind that recsource.tv is very likely to get axed and features implemented on the new eol site instead. Possibly other things like YALE etc. could be integrated to the new site to create this centralized place where online tools exist (ensuring whole community can collaborate on the open source project to develop the tools further).

If you have some reference layouts you like and think might work with eol site too then those would be interesting to see. Remember that eol site should be able to display a lot of data in a clean and understandable way. I think the general layout is ok, with a vertical navbar on the left (like in both 8-ball and skint layouts). I'm not a big fan of material design look and components, but if it works it's just fine.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

If you migrate from recsource, will all the old comments remain or would that be difficult to achieve?

On this picture I don't like the small horizontal distance between sections (Personal\Site\...) and subsections (Settings\Messages\...). I think the distance should be either larger or nonexistent. Maybe try experimenting with that.

I love the idea of using actual pictures of apples and killers, in my opinion it works much better than how it's done here (kinda feels like too much effort to read these stats). I wonder if it's possible to come up with a good pictogram for vertexes and polygons as well.

Don't have a smartphone, so hard to comment on that.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

kuchitsu wrote:If you migrate from recsource, will all the old comments remain or would that be difficult to achieve?
I don't think it should be a problem. We haven't really had any detailed discussion about this, but my idea is that all the data will be saved/transferred from recsource to the new eolsite.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

It's hard to comment on how important mobile is for this site. I almost never check anything on EOL site on mobile atm, but would that change if it had a beter mobile layout? I think personally no, because I don't mind wrestling with desktop layouts (using lauta regularly on android etc), but it's hard to say. The worst thing would be if some content was omitted to make the layout work better on small screens.

All 3 mockups look well suitable for the amount of info they're showing, but what about more content? If you make more mockups, could you include all the types of info you can get from a current battle/level page (including everything behind "more stats" and maybe also the esoteric "detailed time data" from clicking a time), plus whatever you have in mind for the new site?

Options panel is great, solves issues with too much data on small screens. That should also be made to remember your settings across the site (but not between different devices..? not sure).

Navigation as a sidebar instead of on the top is good, and hiding it behind a button for mobile things works very well. Sidebar also allows showing more links neatly than current site.

Sticking the map to the top like vj's example looks great. Potential problem: how does it handle different proportions, like a narrow lev with ~max height? Also, can I poke at that map to drag around and zoom it, and does that interfere with scrolling the page? Or does it take an extra tap to enable those map view controls, or are those simply disabled on mobile?

I would probably rather have the level info (object counts etc) as a boring list instead of those buttons, because there's more info you can display about a level than currently shown, and Elma 2 is planned with even more. These things can include level description, designer name, date designed, date uploaded, date battled, height and width... Some of those don't fit as buttons but they seem like roughly the same kind of info, so should they be shown under the same table? Dunno. Anyway, again, stuff that could be included in future mockups.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Lousku wrote:The worst thing would be if some content was omitted to make the layout work better on small screens.
In design tradeoff situations the desktop experience will obviously be more important. However, a win-win solution does usually exist so I wouldn't worry about this, it's gonna be great on both.
Lousku wrote:All 3 mockups look well suitable for the amount of info they're showing, but what about more content? If you make more mockups, could you include all the types of info you can get from a current battle/level page (including everything behind "more stats" and maybe also the esoteric "detailed time data" from clicking a time), plus whatever you have in mind for the new site?
More stuff coming in next iteration of my mockup.
Lousku wrote:Sticking the map to the top like vj's example looks great. Potential problem: how does it handle different proportions, like a narrow lev with ~max height? Also, can I poke at that map to drag around and zoom it, and does that interfere with scrolling the page? Or does it take an extra tap to enable those map view controls, or are those simply disabled on mobile?
I think the view height will be fixed for mobile and desktop alike but the level in question will be initially zoomed out enough to have all of it visible. And yes, that will be the same map viewer that you can use on WC7 site. Not sure how it would work on mobile yet but probably not an issue and touch can be used intuitively.
Lousku wrote:I would probably rather have the level info (object counts etc) as a boring list instead of those buttons, because there's more info you can display about a level than currently shown, and Elma 2 is planned with even more. These things can include level description, designer name, date designed, date uploaded, date battled, height and width... Some of those don't fit as buttons but they seem like roughly the same kind of info, so should they be shown under the same table? Dunno. Anyway, again, stuff that could be included in future mockups.
Will include these in next mockup.

Thanks for the feedback!
39:37,91
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

I dont like that there are no flags next to nicks on results page.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()