KEYBORD FOR FEM

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Ramone
50mins club

KEYBORD FOR FEM

Post by Ramone »

Hello!

I need to buy a new kb asap. I have old old wireless and it has lag cause wireless. I was always used to that so doesnt really matter. but! its so bad. left arrow not attached etc. And when get new will get wired kb, and last time tested took quite a while to get used to non-lag. I need good kb.

I tested steelseries and it was shit, keys started falling off in less than half a year. also too sharp edges on buttons. not good for fingers.
Also need arrows to be aligned with numpad, Left/down/right need to be on same line as "0" as 0 is my alovolt.

Also need to be open above arrows, delete/end/page down cant be exact over, need to be a gap there.

Cant be any buttons over or left of esc. And F-buttons need to be 4x3 as usual (seen kbs without this)

I wasnt a soft touch. dont want too hard resistance (as the steelseries had)

PLEASE HELP!

Max cost around 100E.

Really need help!
Elasto Mania - ez better
Igge
38mins club

Re: KEYBORD FOR FEM

Post by Igge »

Just "Steelseries" doesn't say much really. They have a lot of different keyboards, and each keyboard comes with different configurations.

As for resistance it's more a question of mechanical switches rather than the keyboard itself. Most mechanical keyboards support different kinds of switches, which all come with different characteristics. See: http://blog.wooting.nl/wp-content/uploa ... tches-.gif

I myself have a Steelseries 6g which I like very much. I've had it for 5y+ and it's still good as new with one cleaning not too long ago. Some minor wear on the letters on WASD but I guess that's expected. I chose the keyboard because just like you I want a very slim and squared design, with no extra buttons etc.

Anyway, I prefer black switches as the resistance is constant, and the keypress is somewhere around half-way down. This means I can easily tap a button and it will register, without ever tapping too slowly or not going all the way down. Since the resistance is constant there's no part where you have to "break through", but you just press as lightly or hard as you want and it will always register (sounds like you want something like this too?)
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

steelseries 6G v2, pro gaming keyboard.

But really, it was so fuckign bad quality.

The thing is, I have aplaying style that really wears the kb. I never used braking alias. and I sometimes brake with my thumb (nailside, but normally only for lowering frontwheel and some other basic stuff), but most of the time with point- or longfinger. if allready gasing I move pointfinger to down. and if need left volt I move down longfinger to down too, so can move back pointfinger to left arrow. So pointfinger is for left/up/down, and longfinger is up/down, and I move fingers back and forth, never really noticed for long time I did that. Just happened. And I press hard, and cause of this playingstyle I press hard on the edges of the buttons. So that wears them faster I assume. But I had a few logitechs and they never broke down as fast. Also this is reason for not too sharp edges on buttons wanted. Cause then my fingers hurt too fast cause hard press on edges.

And I need ofc maximum ammount of buttonpressings at same time (that worked great with steelseries) Logitech only handles 6 pressings, when try 7th it doesnt register. But 6 is oke. But less is unplayable. Also rest fingers on space over arrows while not pressing, thats why delete/end/page down cant be just right above with no distance.

Thanks for replying igge. does this extra info share more light into what may work for me? I dont rly know anything about pc/keyboard world... so. Help would be alot appreciated!

:D
Elasto Mania - ez better
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

black/red are probably best switches for elma and since you wanted "soft" press you should go with red
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I'm considering a new keyboard as well, as my current isn't in good shape any more. The "paint" is wearing off and recently the enter key partly broke so sometimes it won't register. 3 years old, so I would not recommend it (Roccat Isku), compared to my Logitech before it which lasted me over 10 years.

Never had a mechanical keyboard, they are really expensive compared to membrane, so I'm curious to know if those who have one think it was worth the extra money?

So far best membrane candidate I've found is Corsair K30 due no weird layout, proper big enter key on the nordic version, backlit which is nice if sitting in dark, basic media keys, reputable brand and pretty cheap.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

extra keys to left...

liuther has something liek that (I think thundr-/kejebra- too) and its not playable .)

Im a guy of habit
Elasto Mania - ez better
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I have same mechanical keyboard as Ramone, Steelseries 6G v2 with Cherry mx Black buttons (which are among the harder ones to push down).
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/offic ... st_6009482

If I were to buy a new keyboard it would be with Cherry MX Red buttons which are easier to push down, it took a while to get comfortable with the Black ones.

Mechanical keyswitches are designed so that they register before you bottom out, meaning faster response compared to normal keyboards, I like this a lot! Perfect for elma!

Ramone you can buy a new button for the left arrow switch if you like.
I agree that the buttons are a bit sharp on the edges, especially when you have to push them down quite hard.

What switches do you have Ramone? Red or Black or maybe Blue?
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Keytronic is all you need.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

What is good with keytronic?

also. where buy new parts to my steelseries? if can cvhange to softer switches would be nice maybe.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

you need to solder them in, max pain the in ass. you can probably buy some different keycaps that suit you better but dunno. i bought full set of replacement keycaps for some 8e on sale but they are standard norm same as previous (6gv2)
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Odd enough, I've best experience from cheap keyboards like Keytronic or Logitech. Atm using a ps/2 Logitech Internet Keyboard 350 which I've used for years and advertised in a few other keyboard threads already. Save most of that 100E and spend just 100kr instead.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Kopaka wrote:Never had a mechanical keyboard, they are really expensive compared to membrane, so I'm curious to know if those who have one think it was worth the extra money?
well i paid like 10e more for my mechanical than that membrane one so i dont think they are that much more expensive, mine is some 3-4y old now duno, its definitely worth it imo, only downside for me is the noise it makes (quite loud)
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I haven't found any from a reputable brand for less than 120e. If you look at corsair's products for example their least expensive mechanical is twice the price of the their most expensive membrane. Anyway, luckily CDON have 45% off the corsair rapidfire k70 right now, so I bought that yesterday. Will see what it's like.