eL mA 1.2

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

ribot
Not banned

eL mA 1.2

Post by ribot »

el ma 1.2 is out!

well some time it will be if le pilote hib wanna make it :P , i can gladly help . so everyone come with suggestions and tips pls :]

A:
elma 1.11h had alavolt, remote controlled replays, two brake buttons (in el ma there is a difference between break and brake)

B: eL1.mA2 - what's definite
eL mA 1.2 would be to press a letter on your keyboard to jump to that .lev or rec file, should save replay in recognizable format (so that u can detect it because some ppl might think it's cheating)

C: LGR
i will make an lgr with photoshop, please come with suggestions. then maybe it's even possible to change lgrs inside the elma menu?

• D: NEW IDEAS
  • can you add levels to internal list (make .res files)? then we can have a level making contest for it...
  • reset key, so u dont have to press esc,enter
  • is it possible to run a statistix program/script after el ma quits ?
<rulez>
everyone can only post one post in here, then i will make a new post with all ideas organized
    -
    "leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
    -
    IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
    Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
    devin
    Kuski

Post by devin »

I think the editor should be able to cut, copy, paste polygons. then flip or rotate them if needed.
    -brag
    XTC
    Kuski

i think

Post by XTC »

i think that it should have different kinds of drugs, so when you i.e make a good time you get more money and there should be dealers in secret places you know?
    Im just a pretty boy or whatever you call it.
    Ky.Jelly
    Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

devin wrote:I think the editor should be able to cut, copy, paste polygons. then flip or rotate them if needed.
    if it was like that you would have to be able to reduce/increase the size of the polygon and there would need to be a lot of different shaped polygons or it would get boring...
    [10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
    [10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
    Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
    onlainari
    Kuski

Post by onlainari »

reset button: that's hard. If u die and then press reset it does nothing because of esc+enter. But in-game reset press is ok. So you still have to use 2 buttons while hoyling. Enter if you die and reset button on reset. I'm pretty satisfied with 0/ins as esc button and I don't have to move my hands anywhere when hoyling. only fingers. Despite all this I still like the idea.

jump to letter Replays/External files: one of the most wanted add-ons I think. No complains from anyone I guess.

In-game LGR swap: I heard about this idea first time now. Sounds good.

New internal levels: we need permission from the master I think. Some people might be against it. Maybe some new physics to the bike aswell(rotate left,or some even more radical) if we go this far. And maybe erasing the current levels and making whole new internals with whole new totaltimelists and wr-lists.

statistic program: Very nice. Maybe a txt file or some other file or maybe in-game. But it would be cool that it won't take much of space and then add statistic next to old ones and so the list wouldn't be deleted. Or maybe deleted is better?What statistic then we want? At least what level you wasted your time and what time. and how long you wasted in menu's. And maybe how many runs it included in some level and what was the average time on it. And maybe how many times you finished it etc..suggest..

online game: Possibility to connect to other players and play online. Flag-tag etc. That would rock,but I doubt hibernatu is ready to make such a add-on.

speed-o-meter: I heard he is working on it and it's not too hard to built maybe,so we could be waiting for this.

pause game: many opinions among people. I'm one of those open to anything so I'm not against.

save game: hehe,I think people don't want this. Though it would make the competition harder :)

build-in chat: Build in chat ..of course default = #across. It would be nice to see 2 last messages on #across all the time on the bottom of the screen if you are connected to internet while you are playing. Of course you can disable/enable it.

weather: 2 or more different physics depending what weather is there while you are playing. Animation that it's raining,snowing or very windy. Or maybe hot summer day. You could choose what weather you play or use random. This one would open lots of new aspects. You could only beg the wr owner what weather he played his WR if he don't want to send rec.

Manual transmission: 3-5 gears and 2 buttons to go up and down.

Ghost driver: Add a replay ghost driving while you are playing to see how good you are doing. That would make it look messy I think. I'm ready to try.

Across physics: Action supercross physics as alternative physics in elma. Wouldn't be so radical change as weather thing. This one I would definetely like. Back to good old across times every now and then. This one though might be as hard as building a weather itself.

------------
    All of this would lead to very edited game and it wouldn't be the good ol across anymore,but you still have the across and basic elma. You can hoyl what you like. But of course if we don't want to go to special features,then manual transmission,weather,save game,and maybe pause game and ghost driver shouldn't be included.
    Abula
    Moposite admin
    Team: FM

Post by Abula »

40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
    Abula
    Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

onlainari wrote:New internal levels: we need permission from the master I think. Some people might be against it. Maybe some new physics to the bike aswell(rotate left,or some even more radical) if we go this far. And maybe erasing the current levels and making whole new internals with whole new totaltimelists and wr-lists.
    Didn't we already try that twice? OLP and Losts. Please no any radical changes to playing.
    onlainari wrote:statistic program
    Check the statistics I suggested on Moposite (the url in above post).
    onlainari wrote:pause game: many opinions among people. I'm one of those open to anything so I'm not against.
    Is there really someone who would need this? It would only make driving easier. I think it's bad.
    onlainari wrote:save game: hehe,I think people don't want this. Though it would make the competition harder :)
    And the only thing that would matter was extreme hoyling.
    onlainari wrote:Manual transmission: 3-5 gears and 2 buttons to go up and down.
    Too complicated, Elma must be simple.
    onlainari wrote:Ghost driver: Add a replay ghost driving while you are playing to see how good you are doing. That would make it look messy I think. I'm ready to try.
    Merge replays is enough.
    40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
    kuiva
    Kuski

Post by kuiva »

i pretty much agree with abula. some small _out of the game_ updates like jump to letter, lgr menu and statistic stuff would be ok but please no _in the game_ changes. why should there be new internals?...there are lots of good external contests, where u can play totaltime etc...

i don't know if onliz was jokin but...pause game?...transmission??..

across/elma is very popular because of it's original content and simple but challengin controls..don't change it.
    SveinR
    Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I agree with Kuiva. And if new internals were to be made, I think that the only one's that should make them are Balazs and Csaba.
    Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
    Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
    Rules | FAQ
    chux
    Kuski

Post by chux »

yep, only 'offical' new levels.
    speedometer sounds good, gears sounds too complicated.
    pause game isnt so bad, just a useful feature.
    How about a built in elma text patch? One that you can use from the menu. Oh yeah, and make it free...?
    I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
    Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
    onlainari
    Kuski

Post by onlainari »

to abula: we really haven't tried new internals. New internals as really internals are whole different thing that those as externals...you would get stats primarily from them to stats.txt. And the levels have the wr-table just for them for this new game. But anyways..i'm not wanting it the most. Just one of those options out there.

to abula: ghost driver isn't really necessary I know. But anyway i'm ready to try anything.

to kuiva: those pause game and manual transmission would make it a whole new game. Maybe a bit off-topic cuz the topic is about updates "elma1.2" yeah.

I think anyways those extreme updates won't ever happen. So you shouldn't be scared. Just decided to lay them all out :) Or was it all ?
    ribot
    Not banned

Post by ribot »

i dont get this "i want new elma but nothing new" concept. i made this topic to investigate what is possible making with hibernatus's technique,, and then i would like to cooperate and make something new. so it doesn't really matter what the public wants, and the levels dont have to be official, since that's balazs business and not ours.
    -
    -
    dz
    first 39tt

Post by dz »

true, we have 2 choices: add all kind of fixes/features to the current version, or make some radical changes, new levels, features, change on gameplay and stuff.

which one ppl really wants? i know, too difficult question to answer to.
    we are too scared to take radical steps. what does it tell of us? simply that we are somewhat satisfied with the situation. but the concept is getting old,- very old. we would like to try new stuff.

ppl decide. which way do you want to go?
    chux
    Kuski

Post by chux »

Well, the change from Across to Elma was fairly small, only graghics and a couple of levels were changed. I think if there is a new version, there should be new internals, as well as a few of the old favorites, new graphics, NO changes to controls, and maybe a few new features.
    So far I think the best new feature suggestions have been: The editor's new copy, paste, rotate and flip functions with the possible additions of quarter-circle (etc.) tools for ramps :D, Speedometer, weather and ghost drivers. I've wanted a ghost driver for ages, it'd help so much with improving times.
    I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
    MP
    Hat Tricker²

Post by MP »

kuiva wrote:why should there be new internals?...there are lots of good external contests, where u can play totaltime etc...
    kuiva could you name this roxxor contest? :P
    Abula
    Moposite admin

Re: .

Post by Abula »

MP wrote:
    kuiva wrote:why should there be new internals?...there are lots of good external contests, where u can play totaltime etc...
    kuiva could you name this roxxor contest? :P
    He meant Hoyla Mission, I'm pretty sure.

People know the way I've chosen. I don't want any radical changes. Changing all Moposite lists and stuff would be too much for me. I won't do that.
    dz
    first 39tt

Re: .

Post by dz »

Abula wrote: Changing all Moposite lists and stuff would be too much for me. I won't do that.
    if new version comes out.. oh YES you would
    ribot
    Not banned

Post by ribot »

who says moposite has to host next generation elma?

who wasn't disappointed that elma had too small changes? i was, at least.
    -
    -
    onlainari
    Kuski

Post by onlainari »

And about the gameplay. Elma changed quite much. You don't really lose speed in elma when you go from vertex to vertex. Everyone gets used to the changes anyway. I want a harley davidson bike with wheels more far from each other and easier to frog bounce
    Ky.Jelly
    Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

ChuckleS wrote:there should be new internals, as well as a few of the old favorites
    yea but that would create debat over which levels are everyones favorite
    [10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
    [10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
    Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
    Karlis
    Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

yep, fair trial and on top and others back!!!!!! slippery slope is not so important......... why?½?

just leave elma alone ok.
    Tomorrow's Lucky Run Solutions Today
    Flowertouching Men
    epp
    Kuski

Post by epp »

Pause ability is not even a suggestion, it would destroy elma!!! :evil:
    It would destroy the thrill of elma :(

And new internals,
    no way!
    Think about DarMoeD, TorInge and dz. How much havnt
    they struggled to be so great :D ?¿

I have fought a very long battle in Warm Up,
    and nobody (yes, im serious!), NOBODY, is gonna take my 14:43
    (i know its not so great, but i played it for days!!! :!: )
    Image ^_^
    dz
    first 39tt

Post by dz »

eppeJ wrote:And new internals,
    no way!
    would you say that in year 2006, when you've played like 5 years?
    there are ppl who have played those (almost every) same levs wayy longer than you or for example me :wink:
    epp
    Kuski

Post by epp »

That´s right, dz.
    What i meant was, thats if it just where for a new patch...
    That would be a little stupid, right?

I wouldnt say the same thing in 5 fucking years!
    Btw, you´ve started with Across, right?

eppeJ

One more thing.
    Should the new internals (if there will be a "new" Elma),
    be designed by a Designer Team that will be picked out by
    somebody?. Or, should they be made by Csaba?
    Image ^_^
    SveinR
    Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Csaba and Balazs. To get the right vibe on the levs :wink:
    And also some other which they pick out, like f.ex. MUe with Bowling.
    Rules | FAQ
    Lucian
    Kuski

Post by Lucian »

Suggestions: :idea:

1. Higher resolution - elma on 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 :D - if you see more of the level on the screen you have more time to react. (Hacking this feature should be easy)

2. External levels - possibility to browse subfolders in 'Lev' directory (e.g. External File - 0LP - 0lp02.lev)

3. Ghost - an optional ghost-driver of your best replay.

4. Replays - write essential values (crypted) to the replay files (e.g. elasticity, acceleration etc.)

-----------------

5. Network Playing: would be great, but I don’t think you will get it work with a hack (too complicated)

6. Panic Key: e.g. press F10 will cause elma to quit immediately

More to come ….

I don’t think you should change essential elements of the gameplay (e.g. internals, manual transmissions). Also gimmicks like a speed-o-meter will be nice but not necessary.

thanx for your work 8)

_Lucian
    insane guy
    Kuski

Post by insane guy »

i think changing anything of the physics and/or gameplay would ruin elma cause its great to play how it is now...
    great would be (like others said):

folder browser inside elma
    see what lev the rec was driven on
    move polygon funcition in ed
    no poly and vertex limits
    disable the rotating trick (<- + ->)

cu dave
    Karlis
    Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

how about lower resolution? and I wanna see frames per second, more frames, smoother höyling
    Flowertouching Men
    dz
    first 39tt

Post by dz »

instead lower resolution ya could get rid of your 10 years old display card!
    eppeJ wrote:I wouldnt say the same thing in 5 fucking years!
    Btw, you´ve started with Across, right?
    no way across sux :D ive played 2 years
    Karlis
    Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

mmm, sounds like a good idea :)
    Flowertouching Men
    SveinR
    Moporator

Post by SveinR »

insane guy wrote:
    disable the rotating trick (<- + ->)
    wtf??!
    Rules | FAQ
    Kopaka
    39mins club
    Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

insane guy wrote: disable the rotating trick (<- + ->)

cu dave
    That trick is a very good thing, that should't be disablet !!!!!!!1

- Kopaka [cEp]
    MozMan
    Kuski

Post by MozMan »

dz wrote:
    eppeJ wrote:And new internals,
    no way!
    would you say that in year 2006, when you've played like 5 years?
    there are ppl who have played those (almost every) same levs wayy longer than you or for example me :wink:
    i TOTALLY agree wiv dz because new players (like me) have NO chance of catching up with the likes of jokke etc, those hoylas are way 2 far ahead to be caught, they have been playing for FIVE YEARS, elma scene will never attract any new players if the WR's are impossible, if there are new internals then people will have an equal chance to win and get WR's, then we will see whos the best player (no disrepect to jokke because he r0x) :roll:
    insane guy
    Kuski

Post by insane guy »

sure it is a great trick that gives you a big advantage but i still dont like it cause everybody uses it to make WRs and i thought no bugs on WR?
    you dont need it actually (maybe some levs are made for it)
    so i want it away!!!
    hehe
    Karlis
    Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

well, if you've played five years internals it doesn't mean that you rule on all internals......I mean, I've played as long as jokke and my total time still suck0r big time......new internals wouldn't change the fact that Jokke r0x0r :)

psst, I got my first wr before jokke :D
    Flowertouching Men
    chux
    Kuski

Post by chux »

The new internals should be too hard, like the internals now aren't really that hard compared to some of the externals some people make these days. So if anyone makes new levels, make them completeable! No compulsory pipes etc.
    epp
    Kuski

Post by epp »

Ok, MozMan and dz.
    You misunderstand me :(
    What i meant was, that if it just where for a new "version" of the game
    (like 1.11h), then it shouldnt contain new internals.
    But, if it where for a "new" Elma, then i would like it (and i said it before).
    Image ^_^
    onlainari
    Kuski

Post by onlainari »

Lucian wrote:Suggestions: :idea:

1. Higher resolution - elma on 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 :D - if you see more of the level on the screen you have more time to react. (Hacking this feature should be easy)

2. External levels - possibility to browse subfolders in 'Lev' directory (e.g. External File - 0LP - 0lp02.lev)

4. Replays - write essential values (crypted) to the replay files (e.g. elasticity, acceleration etc.)

6. Panic Key: e.g. press F10 will cause elma to quit immediately
    I cut some ideas away there from the quote, but in general good ideas. LOL @ 6. :D
    ribot
    Not banned

Post by ribot »

what i really wanted to know actually is what is possible to make with the method hib is using. now it became another of those next elma threads... well does anyone know what stuff is possible, i can't start a new thread now obviously
    -
    -
    kuiva
    Kuski

Post by kuiva »

first a real suggestion=) that if at some point new internals were added it could be done so that when in main menu player presses 'play' the game would ask: 'old internals' or 'new internals'...the old ones would be the 55 current levels. and the 'new internals' would be the 10-50 new levels. in that way it would be easy to keep total times and stuff nicely apart. and of course csabalaz should be behind the possible new levs.

to abula&mopo:
    yes i was thinking of alp-levels when i mentioned good total time contests =)...but yes there are others.

to dz:
    u said that "the concept is getting old"...yes it is quite old and the fact that it has had so many players for many years means that the concept is good. i say that the concept should not be changed...improved maybe(NOT the gameplay), but not changed. you also talked about people being afraid of radical changes. well i am.

i am afraid(and i believe) that if the game changes radically:

1. i and/or many of the players would stop playing.

2. the scene might split. some would play the old and some the new version. there are many players in the scene but not so many that 2 versions of the game could live strongly.

3. moposite would stop existing. moposite is what keeps the scene together and it's strongly built around elma's current gameplay. i don't think the scene would exist without moposite.

i have this feeling that some dudes want changes to the game just 'because it is possible'...and that's the wrong way to think.

like karlis said leave the game alone.
    onlainari
    Kuski

Post by onlainari »

to kuiva:

1. maybe hundreds of new players would start playing

2. scene would split,are you scared?-)

3. After all Abula and other's would anyway like the new game because it stays 2d and it's basically the same. And he can't resist the responsibilty what it would bring along the maybe hundreds of new players. So moposite would keep it up. Or other as enthusiastic people would join updating abula's site or make own dominating site.
    Lucian
    Kuski

Post by Lucian »

new internals are nonsense ... the same 'names' will rule the new levels... beginners dont have any chance to make a wr .... take a look at the WC levels, lets say event 1 ... the winners are the same who are on the WR table... (no offense)

@onlainari: yeahh ... the panic key :)
    - i've start writing a higher resolution hack (800x600) - it works but it's not perfect yet...

Lucian
    milagros
    Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i don't think you need to play 5 years to beat some wrs
    dmd is playing only for one and half year and he rules now
    and the others (dz, cloud, me) also made first wr after one year of playing
    [carebox]
    Karlis
    Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

of course you won't have to play 5 years to get a wr, I got my first wr after one year of playing, or maybe it was even under a year..

anyone can get a wr if you just concentrate on one level and höyl like hell.....

and kuiva, f**king good speech!
    Flowertouching Men
    leezkit
    Kuski

Post by leezkit »

i think, 'pause' can be added, but with limit of 1 pause per level start.

new internal will never decrease advantage of master-kusikis just because they're masters. but these levels will increase interest for everbody.

fast-key select in levels/replays is necessary. as pagedn/pageup/home/end

it will be fun to see names of recordsmen near flowers during playing.
    or near record time on top of the screen.
    [owning you since 1982][www.czz.nm.ru]
    MopoGirl
    Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

in the replay menu have the replay's time written nxt to the replay name! would be cool 8)
    Abula
    Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

RoniMox wrote:in the replay menu have the replay's time written nxt to the replay name! would be cool 8)
    Is pressing ctrl+alt+enter too much work or?
    Mick
    Kuski

hi

Post by Mick »

i can understand what ronimox is talking about. i dont think there should be critical changes in the game, only little features added(if changes at all..). thing like the time next to recs, or recs being longer than 8 characters. i dont like this in game changing stuff that everyone is talking about. it wouldn't be elma then, it would be something else.

/mick
    team EM - why not ok?
    chux
    Kuski

Post by chux »

Agree!

But that ctrl+alt+enter thing doesnt work properly on my version! It says that the 05mopo rec of Uphill battle is 00:06:53 when it's really 00:21:74! Whats going on?
    Abula
    Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

ChuckleS wrote:Agree!

But that ctrl+alt+enter thing doesnt work properly on my version! It says that the 05mopo rec of Uphill battle is 00:06:53 when it's really 00:21:74! Whats going on?
    You have version 1.0 of Elma. Download some newer and it works.