Elma Windowed mode

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

infected
Kuski
Team: LOS

Elma Windowed mode

Post by infected »

ok so i did some search, spent atleast 15sec on it and didnt find anything usefull. so is there any patch or something to run elma in windowed mode?
geomatric hallucinations
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Re: Elma Windowed mode

Post by 5tr1k3r »

d3dwindower
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

D3dwindower decreases max fps to 60, but is nice to spy irc while playing. Also, the editor is impsy to use (because of cursor position) unless you pin the window to top left corner.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Lousku wrote:D3dwindower decreases max fps to 60, but is nice to spy irc while playing. Also, the editor is impsy to use (because of cursor position) unless you pin the window to top left corner.
tested long time ago, tested again, UseDDrawEmulate=1 in hook.ini gives 800 fps for my system
trew
38mins club

Post by trew »

I got only 4 checkboxes checked. Those are
  • DirectX1-7(DDraw)
  • DDraw Color Emulator (UseDDrawColorEmulate=1)
  • DDraw Color Converter (UseDDrawColorConvert=1)
  • DDraw Primary Blt (UseDDrawPrimaryBlt=1)
I got around 730~ fps with 1440x900.
Fucking broken image every month
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Alternatively you can run virtual machine in window and elma in full screen mode. You can grab different windows xp images with outdated internet explores here. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=11575 It will use a lot of resources. You may need to play with priorities both on vm and native windows to get good performance. Remember those images expire after some time.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Hello,

I tried many times but never got D3D Windower to work, so no windowed elma for me. I am generally okay with that, but now I want to do some screen capturing and I refuse to deal with 1000s of annoying .pcx files from the in-game export.

So back to D3D windower: Although I think I am close, it still doesn't work. I followed a tip to delete ddraw.dll from elma folder but I still get the following error:

Once I start up elma from D3D windower, the small "grey" square that indicates elma is starting appears in top left corner. Then a nice and promising looking window appears that is all "elma grey". I get a loading cursor symbol and after 3 secs or so the window closes and I am back in D3D windower.

Has anyone ever had & fixed that problem? Would be happy to get a tip!
Thanks
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I don't have a solution for your specific problem (works for me in win 10 without ddraw), but wanted to mention that using d3dwindower doesn't rid you of 1000's of pcx's. It's the same export. The point of using it, is that it records way faster. Alternatively have you tried a screen capturer like obs? (That works for me as well, with ddraw).
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

insane guy wrote: 6 Apr 2020, 14:07 Has anyone ever had & fixed that problem? Would be happy to get a tip!
Thanks
Every Elma is different, hard to tell 100% working tips :S
Yesterday, while i was trying to help to ILKKA with D3Dwindower, realized that a clean EOL install (elmaonline.net/help/download) and a clean D3Dwindower install can fix issues. (although he had internal error, not the grey square problem)
Also (although nowadays it's usually auto-updated) check if newest graphics card drivers are installed.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Thanks for the tips!
Kopaka wrote: 6 Apr 2020, 17:29 I don't have a solution for your specific problem (works for me in win 10 without ddraw), but wanted to mention that using d3dwindower doesn't rid you of 1000's of pcx's. It's the same export. The point of using it, is that it records way faster. Alternatively have you tried a screen capturer like obs? (That works for me as well, with ddraw).
I was under the impression that screen recorders do not work when running full screen elma. Thats why I wanted windowed. I'm gonna give obs a try!

edit: OBS is the solution to all my problems! thanks so much!! https://obsproject.com/
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

For the record, screen recording in Nvidia's GeForce Experience works great with elma for my, and iirc for others too.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Yup Nvidia master race
ToMaT