Hibernatus-zoom grassing issues

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

anonymous32
Kuski

Hibernatus-zoom grassing issues

Post by anonymous32 »

I am firing up Elma now for the first time in a long while.

I am encountering graphical problems on the fifth level: desiring to preserve the original aesthetic experience, I have doubled the resolution to 1280x960, using "2.00" as the zoom value -- that way, the background sky is almost placed as it should, which is great.

Problems started upon entering the fifth level, in which I noticed the grass is starting up way further than originally intended.

Would there be any way for output to be doubled up from 640x480 so as to fill up most of a modern 1080p screen, although preserving the intended aesthetic experience?

EDIT: an ultra-compatible wrapper program that would intercept DirectX calls, then double-scale and feed back each frame through some sort of decent algorithm -- feasible?
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Re: Hibernatus-zoom grassing issues

Post by Lousku »

Now, here's the sort of high details faggotry I can stand for!
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

Lousku wrote:Now, here's the sort of high-details faggotry I can stand for!
This is the kind of support I appreciate. :)

retro: http://i.imgur.com/evBjK.png
current: http://i.imgur.com/pT8XG.png

EDIT: another, perhaps more-feasible, solution proposal, outside of having to tinker with the graphics layer:

- crafting a bigger-textures LGR suited for integer-factor scaling (which serves to avoid artifacts introduction) -- that is, for the "1280x960" modern resolution;
Last edited by anonymous32 on 21 Aug 2012, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

I have been fiddling with this for the past hours, and unfortunately it seems the LGR-crafting route is unviable -- I have been rescaling every texture and grass picture manually (through GIMP), but the end result does not solve the zoom problem, grass still being buried beneath starting uphill-battle bricks.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Grass works in mysterious ways. There's probably nothing you can do to make it appear precisely the same as it originally looked. :/
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Nevertheless it must be challenging to explore such nuisances, I'm glad that we have a person here that is interested in these things. I don't know a thing on this topic unfortunately, but wish you see the light in the tunnel. Also might ask domi. Just to refresh: http://trivia.idiaths.ru/
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

Lousku wrote:Grass works in mysterious ways. There's probably nothing you can do to make it appear precisely the same as it originally looked. :/
Short of having someone interested enough to hack in some fix to the Hibernatus code (for this long-time-unremarked bug to be hacked out).
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

anonymous32 wrote:
Lousku wrote:Grass works in mysterious ways. There's probably nothing you can do to make it appear precisely the same as it originally looked. :/
Short of having someone interested enough to hack in some fix to the Hibernatus code (for this long-time-unremarked bug to be hacked out).
It might have more to do with how grass works. You could test this by making a bigger version of the level with the same aspect ratio including grass polygons...
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

I have found a solution: stopping worrying, and playing at original resolution, with surrounding black bars.

EDIT: operating-system virtualization; enhancement-request ticket; integer-factor scaling: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10852