Old levels battle day (or something like that)

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Zero
Kuski

Old levels battle day (or something like that)

Post by Zero »

Lets face it, the average battle quality isn't very high nowadays since most of the good designers are quite inactive nowadays. But that's not exactly what this topic is about.

I got an idea of some kind of old levels battling day, and the point is that people are allowed to start old battle, pack or cuplevels from a long time ago (+2 years). And obviously the same level only once. This would be very easy to arrange and if someone is worrying about the stats, we could just pick the levels which hasn't been played for a very long time.

Kopaka already said that it's fine from his part. Write here why you like/dislike this idea! The only way to make this work is that as many people as possible is interested and wants to be involved.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
VALDO
Kuski

Re: Old levels battle day (or something like that)

Post by VALDO »

I agree with zerik. I've never liked the "no old battles" rule anyway.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Sound good, but maybe should be a little older levels. I guess I could easily remember battles and their styles from 2 years ago. I would love to check out my old Elma folder and see what kind of levs I made in 2008 :D
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

VALDO wrote:I agree with zerik. I've never liked the "no old battles" rule anyway.
This. So much this.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

i think battle quality is high nowadays, rough levs, best levs
ToMaT
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Zero wrote:Lets face it, the average battle quality isn't very high nowadays since most of the good designers are quite inactive nowadays.
That's not a fact to face. I don't agree at all. There's plenty of good balles every day. But yeah, this is a good idea. I guess there will be many instances of people knowing styles, but that's not a serious problem if people just want to revive some old levels.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
DR@CON
Kuski
Team: LATP

Post by DR@CON »

Sounds interesting. But if 1/2 or even 1/3 levs per day will be old, it isn't cool imo. And that sitiation may happen. Another thing if we will able to start only own levs or whoever made before.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I'm much more interested in internal battles but this is cool too.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I strongly disagree.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Bump. Can this happen please? Like this Sunday or something.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I strongly agree with internal battle)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

since the stats are a joke anyways, i really couldnt care less, sounds fun
God Bless America
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Maybe make the limit for the levels to be >10 years old? Would be kinda cool to play that old levels, and then you realize they're not even that old compared to really old levels!
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Uploading old levels as battles requires common sense, which is very uncommon of ppls to have, which is why old levels as battles are not allowed. I have rebattled old levels and nobody ever noticed anything. Of course you can upload some 8 year old forgotten belma battle lev , but on the other hand some 13 year old 0lp level is not fine -> healo common sense -> just disallow all old battles and spend that 5 mins making new lev, it's not that hard kkk.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

i agree that as a general rule old battles should not be allowed, but doing it for one day is harmless so goddamn live a little. since i dont feel like arguing my point to all you losers i am making an executive decision that the day will be November 29th Sunday that all old battles can be battled as a way of saying thanks to all great designers this coming Thanksgiving weekend. you may battle any level despite longevity and if anybody says you cant just tell them that gimp said it was okay.
God Bless America
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

I discussed this with roope when I started the topic and to him the only reasonable way of doing it would be to start some random old belma levels. Imo that kinda kills the whole point of it and we might as well make new random battles..
But seriously, why not 0lp battles? No, I'm not asking anyone to change the rules of starting battles in EOL. Just for one day like the title of the topic says. Imo this shouldn't be a contest of any kind. Just something refreshing.
In the first post I mention the "drop of quality" in the average modern battle levels. I'm not saying that the levels are not fun to play etc. I just can't help but notice how much people like Olliz spent time on their creations. There is so much love and passion behind the design of the levels. For me personally that makes a huge difference, it is just an enourmous joy to play a level like that. Surely we still get top quality levels, just not so often. I simply want to bring back some (g)oldies : )
36 club since 02/2024
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Igge wrote:Maybe make the limit for the levels to be >10 years old? Would be kinda cool to play that old levels, and then you realize they're not even that old compared to really old levels!
Yeah sounds good)
36 club since 02/2024
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Yeh, I think my opinion hasn't changed (just looked at teh topic start date and was amazed that was 1,5 years ago). I don't know if I have or if I would orka think of any deep reasoning for my opinion, other than that I for sure wouldn't play 0lps or sach very known levs. Zamppe post is good, things would go smoothly if people had common sense. (Starting 0lps wouldn't really count as common sense to me o,o)
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

November 29th on Sunday
OLD LEVELS BATTLE DAY!

Only this day YOU will be granted permission to start old battle levels, of course with a sense of the common!

You can start battle in juha345.lev
You can start battle in Olliz040.lev
You can start battle with a level from any levelpack that is OLD, like at least 5 years old or more, not the newer packs such as HALF, EOL or Found Internals.
This day is a FREE DAY for any level, but use common sense if you don't wanna get hanged by elma community :beer:
I can update this post if we agree on other rules for this day
Last edited by Bjenn on 25 Nov 2015, 11:08, edited 2 times in total.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

is it on 29th because.. you know..?
39:37,91
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

8-ball wrote:is it on 29th because.. you know..?
:D

I will participate!
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Plot twist: everyone will get a ban
36 club since 02/2024
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

It's a trap!
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

This still seems like a bad idea to me. Just wait, till someone will win an old lev with obviously hoyled style, which noone else except him hoyled before and the blaming will start. Or some levs won't seem like "old" enough and ppl will be grumpy. For example all Olliz levs (as suggested by bj) are so well known, that I would exclude them even from this silly unapproved event. It is not as bad as starting internal lev, but close (at least for some ppl).

but w/e. Elma should be fun, just try something new with it. Or should I say old?
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I will start some external levs from elastomania.com i think
God Bless America
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Bludek wrote:
but w/e. Elma should be fun, just try something new with it. Or should I say old?
God Bless America
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Bludek wrote:This still seems like a bad idea to me. Just wait, till someone will win an old lev with obviously hoyled style, which noone else except him hoyled before and the blaming will start. Or some levs won't seem like "old" enough and ppl will be grumpy. For example all Olliz levs (as suggested by bj) are so well known, that I would exclude them even from this silly unapproved event. It is not as bad as starting internal lev, but close (at least for some ppl).

Thanks for reminding me of internals, I will add to the rules list that starting an internal battle is a go!
8-ball wrote:Is it on 29th because.. you know..?
Ehm, no comment.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Bjenn wrote:
Bludek wrote:This still seems like a bad idea to me. Just wait, till someone will win an old lev with obviously hoyled style, which noone else except him hoyled before and the blaming will start. Or some levs won't seem like "old" enough and ppl will be grumpy. For example all Olliz levs (as suggested by bj) are so well known, that I would exclude them even from this silly unapproved event. It is not as bad as starting internal lev, but close (at least for some ppl).

Thanks for reminding me of internals, I will add to the rules list that starting an internal battle is a go!
You had internals in your original post but Orcc removed it.
<@Orcc> i just had to remove one line where he, representing himself as the only member of the community, said it's oke to start internal lev battles

I very dislike doing this unapproved o,o
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Oh, yeah I thought I had it there when I first wrote it!
IT'S FOR ONE FUCKING DAY ORCC, DEAL WITH IT!
I have been in this scene, playing this game for centuries, I think me and others agree that for one day at least, in a 10 year period, we can start internal battles aswell as old battle levels, JESUS FUCK.

Why are you so negative against something that part of the community is having an idea by? It's not many people that like internal battles so there won't be many internal battles I'm sure. You can probably relax Orcc, you plan on playing elma this whole day btw?
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

gimp when you refuse to argue and instead call people names you make it hard to care about anything you say.

bjenn while I appreciate the taking initiative there's some issues. There's clearly not any kind of agreement on what common sense is. Lack of or disagreement on common sense is largely why we have rules in the first place. If we forgot about stats, a battle is still largely about competing, when there's the risk of someone having an advantage by knowing the level the competing is not very fun. Levels like olliz' and internals with no doubt have that problem. I agree with bludek on that.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Well, people who feel they will start to blame someone maybe should take a STEP BACK this only day in 10 years period.
I will play this day and not complain about anything. So statswhores can just take a break, is it that hard?

Come on, one day, you can do it!
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Kopaka wrote:gimp when you refuse to argue and instead call people names you make it hard to care about anything you say
Kopaka yes you are completely right, I guess I was just talking out of my ass and didn't expect anybody to take me seriously, I apologize if I offended anybody, I'll try not to call anybody names anymore, truly <3

Only argument I can really give is the one already stated a few times. That this will only be for one day, and that the more rules you want to make surrounding the day the more likely you will have someone break one. By claiming that people don't have common sense you are doing a great job of making people not want to do this, because nobody wants to be the village idiot. I just sense a lot of unnessecary negativity behind something that's a nice fun idea, that if you focus on the bad you will inherently make it bad. Call it levs older than 5 years or whatever, if it's not exactly that then no big deal, if somebody remembers the level and had previously hoyled it then great, they can have that nostalgia back (that is the point right). So I personally see no problem with old popular lev packs, it may give some an advantage and others may give others an advantage as well. If somebody cares about how this one day will effect stats then speak up, but so far I haven't seen anybody worry about this. Being that the only variable that effects ranking is wins the only way this could truly impact the ranking anyways is if some kuski somehow played the entire day and had more knowledge of every lev more than any other kuski and also wouldn't have won the balle otherwise, even if this happened the effect would be so minimal it is orka. I have a feeling the best battlers will still be the ones winning as usual, and that any effect on the stats will pretty much correlate to the usual battle day. Of course I could be wrong about everything I am saying, and then still I have the argument that you can only know unless you try.

As for starting internals, I don't really care about that, but unlike bjenn I don't really want to push my luck convincing you guys of that. So maybe just old levels where we make a loose rule about how old they have to be, once you start throwing out that you can't have certain lev packs I feel like it might just complicate things too much, but hey if that's what's necessary then oke.
Last edited by gimp on 25 Nov 2015, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.
God Bless America
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I don't mind if some people have little advantage, if they happen to have randomly höyled an old pack lev. Seriously stats are not the most important thing in EOL, for most people it's only battle wins that count, if anything.

This day was supposed to be about old and forgotten classic levs. That's what internals are not, there are many people who can pretty much beat anyone with a single run. There are no new styles to be found in battling those levs. Internals are no "old" levs. If people want to have an internal battling day it's very fine for me, but they don't fit this day. How can you leave out EOL pack and Found internals, but allow the most played levs ever?

I see the purpose of this is still bringing "new" levs to most people, even if they have been designed a long time ago. It's like someone telling a joke that 90 % of the people haven't heard, it might be uninteresting for the 10 %, but still fun for most of the people. Everyone has heard that internal battles are a joke. Imagine the feeling of excitement "Oo I wonder what's in the queue" and then some Freefall pops up. Yippie. So why don't you Bjenn stop wanting to show off your skills in the levs you know inside and outside and try learning some battling skills GGGGGG

Oh and personally I would like to join for a couple battles, but I don't yet know if I have time, since I'm moving to a new apartment this weekend.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Dame my defences are now down Orcc. I added the 5 year old rule cuz igge said 10 years old at least maybe good, and I made something in between.
HALF, Found etc are not 5 years old I believe, but now that you say it, why not start battles in those levels too if people want!

I'm open to suggestions as I also said in the STOKE comment, good Orcc!

So I guess I remove the possibility to start internals this day then.. :(

When can we have an internal battles day!!?
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Maybe poss turn off stats counting for 1 day so that boring conservative nerds can stay calm? Then could also allow internals because seriously we need internal battles.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

I think at least HALF levs should be left out because the competition is still open, those styles should remain secret for another couple months. Also the newest packs might not be very interesting for the most people, even if not many have höyled those.
NoobSty2-competition

insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Good idea.

5+ years old is ok rule I think. I would include the rule that you're only allowed to start your own levs but I understand not everyone has a big archive of 1000s of levels to pick from. Also we would most probably miss out masterpieces like Olliz040 and other stuff.

Please no internals though:

Would be max frustrating to wait with butterflies in stomach to taste some sweet nostalgia and then: 40 minutes Enduro Balle wtf?

I think with internals the fun would be ruined for many people. Those who want internal balles can easily live another day without them. And they can arrange an internal battle day and no one will complain (except everyone in eol :) )
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

inb4 bjenn starts 60 mins slalom battle.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Ongoing! Remember, only levels that are over 5 years old!
36 club since 02/2024
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

How did it go? I was busy all day with moving so I couldn't play any battles.
NoobSty2-competition

Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

I played 2 very old levels by Zero, it is fun to play levels that you can see that the designer had zero intention of planning any styles.

I thought about this meme when someone said something about starting 0lp battle >D
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzsmRs ... sp=sharing
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

I had a short visit and played some Zero, bEAT and Almost Internals (AI) levs.

The atmosphere was interesting. There was a lot of talking about "back in the days" and I found it nice to hear stories about the levs (if available).
Many people got discouraged by the long queue (always 4+ levs while I was there) and didn't bother starting one of their levs.

Didn't hear anyone complain too much and some ppl who didn't know about the day and just stepped by quickly caught on the idea and started to look into their old levs.

So I think it was a fun thing to do and see no problem in doing something like this again in a year or so.

Also I found out that I used to be somehow angry 10 years ago because most of my lev titles included things like "I hate you" and "Fuck you Fuckkin Fakker" :)
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."