Future cup formats

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Future cup formats

Post by Kopaka »

Some people were talking about possible new cups in eol chat today, so I thought it would be good to have a discussion about what kinda cup formats people prefer. So that future cup makers can take that into account.

There's the basic 1 level at a time, each level lasting 1 week, for 10 weeks or so.
Then there could be longer or shorter events.
Battle events.
Elimination cup.
Team cup.
Total time cup.
Multiple levels at the same time.
1on1 events.
Another format I've thought about is having 1 event a week but only lasting 3-4 days. So for example from sunday to tuesday and rest of the week nothing untill next event next sunday. You won't get as bored of the level as you might by playing it longer and the cup doesn't take up all your time. There's time to play battles or other stuff rest of the week without feeling like you're handicaping your own chances. On the other hand it may mean some doesn't have time those specific days, worse winner replays and people feeling even more stressed to get a good time.

What do you prefer?

(Edit: No idea why I made this in advertising.)
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Re: Future cup formats

Post by Mawane »

Kopaka wrote:Some people were talking about possible new cups in eol chat today, so I thought it would be good to have a discussion about what kinda cup formats people prefer. So that future cup makers can take that into account.

There's the basic 1 level at a time, each level lasting 1 week, for 10 weeks or so.
Then there could be longer or shorter events.
Battle events.
Elimination cup.
Team cup.
Total time cup.
Multiple levels at the same time.
1on1 events.
Another format I've thought about is having 1 event a week but only lasting 3-4 days. So for example from sunday to tuesday and rest of the week nothing untill next event next sunday. You won't get as bored of the level as you might by playing it longer and the cup doesn't take up all your time. There's time to play battles or other stuff rest of the week without feeling like you're handicaping your own chances. On the other hand it may mean some doesn't have time those specific days, worse winner replays and people feeling even more stressed to get a good time.

What do you prefer?
-8-12 events (end of wcup felt a bit like people got bored and didn't hoyl that much, so I think 15 was too much)
-Each event lasting various durations depending on difficulty and lenght but a minimum of 1 week so that people with weird schedules have time to play.
-And I like the idea of having longer break between events.
-I know it's easier to remember, but what about start/end times not always same day of the week?
-Some events with multiple levels at once

Don't want:
-Battle events, because I wouldn't want to miss some.
-Total time cup, because it makes hoylas useless, unless all levels same lenght and difficulty which is not gonna happen.
-Elimination cup, because I want to play all events.
-1on1 events is a cool concept, sounds like an elimination cup but without the elimination.
How did you expect this concept to work out btw? Not saying it's not gonna work, curious.

-Team cup is an interesting concept, but wouldn't want it to be like WCup, or any normal cup, where only 3 best players of the team count towards the points. I think this system needs revamp. Something like paired people, or any amount of people per team but only best of the team counts. I'd like to see more concepts for a team cup.

Thanks Kopaka for starting this thread, looking forward to see this going live :)
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

just do a yearly wcup imo
ToMaT
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

- levs that are pretty easy to just finish
- hoyla and multi style levs < 1 min
- 3-4 days events, maybe 2 days for simple levs
- no pies (even in shortcuts)
- can have 1 or 2 unique events that are a bit different (multiple levs, best average time from top10 wins, etc)

A battle cup would be welcome too. Also I'm a weak player from the very bottom of the results table so my opinion isn't really important.

p.s. Maw, quoting a huge post right above yours seems silly to me. :)
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Elimination cup or league system is the most fun.

I would not play in any other cup.
Team SPEED

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I totally loved elimination cup like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWf748Wwrw . First phase where all players play and then top 32 (or top 16 or w/e) go for elimination. This and Banana cup 4 were the best cup I've played. But I'm not rly motivated in playing cups atm... Just sharing my thoughts.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

nice cup, looks like i gave up on teh lev :/
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Elimination cup would be a blast.. Something similar to TEC.
Also if someone hasn't heard yet, I will host a battle cup with ramone in the future, once he gets his computer fixed
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Zero wrote:Elimination cup would be a blast.. Something similar to TEC.
God Bless America
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I remember the first Elimination cup by Raven. It was many years ago now, but I got kicked out in the first event by Rasken =)
Such a bummer.