My Pipe Pack

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Mrrrr
Kuski
Team: BAP

My Pipe Pack

Post by Mrrrr »

Guess I'm too enthusiastic to be among pros. :roll:

Please check one of the posts below for more advanced and interesting pipes. Thanks.

Levels are as follows:
01 - Attention! Narrow road! - boring
02 - Do you have ballz? - ok?
03 - Killer Triangle - boring
04 - OctoPipe - annoying
05 - Landing on the pipe! - unfinishable
06 - Beyond infinity! - fun without gravity
Attachments
MrPipes.rar
Pipes 1-6
(11.28 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Last edited by Mrrrr on 16 Nov 2010, 20:46, edited 4 times in total.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Igge
38mins club

Re: My Pipe Pack

Post by Igge »

1. Boring and uninspired.
2. I guess decent as a balle.
3. Boring and uninspired.
4. Annoying.
5. One of the worst pipes i've ever played. No one will ever finish this.
6. Could be fun without gravity.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Sounds good.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is. There's none in these levels.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

LousQ wrote:I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is. There's none in these levels.
fucking lol'd :mrgreen:
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Haven't checked the levels yet but
Igge wrote:5. One of the worst pipes i've ever played. No one will ever finish this.
Is that a challenge?
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

The_BoneLESS wrote:Haven't checked the levels yet but
Igge wrote:5. One of the worst pipes i've ever played. No one will ever finish this.
Is that a challenge?
Yes, and a deadly one too. You either finish the level or you will commit suicide.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

:D i love your quotes, Lousku ;)
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Thanks for all your comments.

What would you suggest (if you have time or want to) me to do to make my levels better (but also for them to remain different)?
Last edited by Mrrrr on 16 Nov 2010, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Start battle levs in EOL and ask for feedback there.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Okay... all those sucked (all but the ball pipe maybe).

Aaaaanyway....
I tried something different. I can't finish these yet as they are outa my league for now, but maybe you'll enjoy them.

Waiting for feedback again.
Attachments
4Pipes.rar
(16.8 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Alright! Now we're talking!

Mrrrr, you are improving incredibly quickly. These levels are actually quite fun to play, and they look like something that might just be battled on EOL. These levels are much better than the ones you posted before, and that's great. Sick improvement. Sick improvement indeed.

Mrpipe01: It's a nice short pipe. Could have been either a bit tighter or longer, but still, it's always nice to have some cruisable pipes.
Mrpipe02: Interesting level. I don't know if you had a bounce (check the rec) in mind when you made it, but it certainly adds a little spice to the level. Really nice pipe.
Mrpipe03: I'm sorry, but I have to say this is the worst level of the 4, ebcause I believe it's impossible to finish, or if not impossible, at least very hard (see rec).
Mrpipe04: Fuck yeah! Awesome pipe with turns and everything. The end was really really hard to get right. I probably played the lev for some 20 minutes or so, but I finally managed to get a good end. thi is not a bad thing though; as long as the part before the end is fun, the end may be very hard. This is the best level of the four, with 2 right behind it and 1 also not far away.

When you make more levels (and please do!) please don't overwrite these 4 levels at least. They are definitely keepers. Keep going from here with mrpipe05, and never ever stop. I want more!
Attachments
mrpipe igge.rar
(27.06 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Awesome improvement! Keep them coming!
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Oh.... glad I finally had some inspirational inspiration :D
Thanks for the impressions and feedback!

I just thought I'd start from easier levels to harder ones. That's why level 01 is like that.
Yes, I had a bounce in mind for level 02.
For level 03, couldn't it be possible to get the wheel past that corner? I made it this way so it wouldn't be too simple, didn't think it could become impossible :roll:
I made a slight modification in level 03, see if it's doable now.
Glad you liked level 04 as it's my masterpiece till date LOL

I did these at 4 am... so that must be the hour of true inspiration for me :roll:
I will make some more! :beer:
Attachments
MrPipe03.lev
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I'm gonna get a bit picky now, and perhaps "complain" about things you couldn't possibly know. Just remember though I'm trying to give you hints, because I know these things are pretty much impossible for you to know without having made and played pipes for years. Read it knowing I love to see how you improve, and know that these are things I still see in pipes made by players who have made thousands of levels and played thousands of pipes in their lives. Anyway, here we go.

For starters, one thing separates an average pipe from a really good one are the pipe entrances. In a good pipe, the hard parts are surviving inside the pipe, but the rest - the parts in between the pipes - are really smooth. The entrance to the pipe plays a big factor here. Sometimes, no matter how much you try, you just die every time you are to enter a pipe, and this can be due to many things.

Let me take your Mrpipe03 as an example. To enter the first pipe smoothly and as quickly as possible (which is always the aim, of course) you have to time your left-volt so you can enter without losing any speed at all. This means the front wheel has to clear the vertex without touching the "outward" side of it (basically what i mean is you never want to touch even a pixel of the wall, but just enter the pipe directly). In this level, this is very hard because of the speed you have before the pipe, and the fact that both wheels are firmly on the ground. I uploaded 3 recs to illustrate my point:

http://up.k10x.net/pdjjsaznhgqvr/early.rec
http://up.k10x.net/ytgyxgsocgsdg/late.rec
http://up.k10x.net/poosigmybmwyu/perfect.rec

I don't know if you have ever tried to do the "pro" start in internal 41, framework, but that "pipe" is pretty much the same. There is this very, very small window of opportunity for when you can volt and be able to pass the pipe without dying or losing a lot of speed. Generally, these entrances are pretty annoying, especially because if you die a lot in the start and have to play it over and over again, after a while you go crazy because you've just spent a minute re-playing the very first second of a level so many times in a row. What you want is for the player to either have a lot of time to prepare for the next pipe, so that he can put himself in a good position (though sometimes "a lot" is just a matter of a fraction of a second). Or you can just make sure that when he exits the pipe before he will be in a good position that will make him able to enter the next one easily as well. I went through the trouble of making 3 levels to show you what I mean.

http://up.k10x.net/jvrlxjzlbgugy/entrances.rar

entr1 shows a "bad" entrance, as you either have too little space to get into a good position, and the exit of the first pipe does not allow for a smooth transfer into the next pipe.
entr2 shows a good entrance in that you have a lot of time to prepare and get into a good position
entr3 shows a good entrance in that you can smoothly enter in from the way you exit the pipe before it.

So I guess that's it for entrances. And now another thing about Mrpipe03 which is probably very hard for you to know, and that's about the very last corner before the flower. Basically, to survive a corner in a pipe you almost always have to brake. Look at the start of my Mr04pipe rec, and you will see that I brake just before the corner so that I can smoothly enter the next pipe. This very technique applies to the end of mrpipe03 as well, as you have to slow down or else both wheels will hit the rightmost wall and it's impossible to get into a piping position if that were to happen there. So why not just brake and cut the corner in mrpipe03 then? Well, since the last pipe starts out way wider than it ends, breaking there is a million times harder. What you want to do is brake right before you exit the pipe, but because the pipe is getting thinner, after you brake you still have to squeeze through the last couple of millimeters, and this is very hard since it's getting tighter. Imagine it being like you have to brake in an uphill - it's very hard to get going again. Were the pipe as wide as it is in the start, or even as tight as it is in the end all the way through, braking wouldn't have been a problem. It's just that it's getting thinner and if you brake you lose all speed, which means that getting past the corner after braking is extremely hard.

http://up.k10x.net/myuduezyigbrp/corner.rar

You can see how hard it is for me to regain my speed after breaking in the middle of the last pipe, and had i braked even later, there is no way I would have gotten any speed back at all. So if you're gonna make a ~90 degree corner, or any other pipe exit where you have to brake, try not to make the pipe get tighter right in the end.

Anyway, these are just mere details, and nothing you should be worried about really. Just keep on making pipes, and more importantly, keep on playing pipes and you will soon enough get the hang of what works and what doesn't. I really like playing your levels, and I hope you can take these tricks to heart, and not feel like I'm too harsh. I'm just trying to help, 8)
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Thanks for the advices, I'll try and take them into account when making any kind of levels. I'm not (yet) into the physics part of the game because I haven't yet made so-hard-that-i-can't-finish-myself levels. These are the first.

I really appreciate your tutorial, I think it'll really help.
Maybe you could make a forum section with tutorials and stuff for beginners. I know there are some tutorials on youtube, but still, this is an Elma dedicated forum. Just saying, it's merely a suggestion.

Aaanyway, I made another level tonight, a combined pipe level. I must change the beginning part of the pipe, because now I know why. :roll:
I'll retouch it and post it after I make a few more levels, hopefully tomorrow and the day after.

Thanks again for taking so much time to explain me how to deal with pipe entrances and 90 degrees turns, I will do my best in making them as smooth as possible. Great tutorial!

Have a good night y'all.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

You're welcome! I just love making levels and sharing what I've learned doing so. If my knowledge can help someone out, I'm always happy to assist. Making levels really is a passion of mine, and the more I can give the more I get in return.
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

I have a lack of spare time on my hands these days... so I'll post only the 3 levels I have done till now and hopefully I will work on some new ones in the following days.

Here are pipes 5, 6 and 7.

Please tell me if they are finishable, what you liked, what you didn't.

Thanks.
Attachments
Pipes5-7.rar
MrPipe05
MrPipe06
MrPipe07
(47.82 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

9 downloads... some criticism please. Anything. :?
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Mrrrr wrote:9 downloads... some criticism please. Anything. :?
Who don't you start battles on EOL?
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

:000 Hadn't noticed you made new pipes, but I just took a quick look at them and they look fucking awesome. Especially the last one.

Tell you what. Get EOL (either figure it out on your own or I'll help you tonight/tomorrow), and start all your new pipes as battles there. They will surely be appreciated.

But right now I'm in a hurry, so I can't give you any feedback until tonight. either way, just by lookign at them I can tell they're pretty damn good. Hope that'll do for now.
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

I didn't put them on EOL as suggested because I can't finish any of them :roll:

Can I put them on EOL without having to play them?
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
trew
38mins club

Post by trew »

Mrrrr wrote:I didn't put them on EOL as suggested because I can't finish any of them :roll:

Can I put them on EOL without having to play them?
Actually, if you start them as battles, you can't participate.
Fucking broken image every month
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

I'm waiting to be given some rights and than I'll put these on EOL.

Thanks for the advices. :wink:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Mrrrr wrote:I'm waiting to be given some rights and than I'll put these on EOL.

Thanks for the advices. :wink:
Just to be clear: You can' start levels that you have shared or that people in some other way already have played. To start a level as a battle it must be unplayed by everyone, or if someone already has played it, that person must not participate in the battle (and it's your job to make sure they don't).

Basically, this is to prevent some people from getting an advantage over others. For instance if you were to battle the pipes you've shared here, I for one would get an advantage over someone who has never visited this topic, as I would know how to play the levels from the very start of the battle.

So make a new pipe, battle it, then upload here. 8)
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Oh... okay, thanks for the advice.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

@bump

Pasibel to reupload, or does anyone have any of these? Thanks! =)