Dino Run 2 (FF Cup): Feb 4 18:00 GMT / 20:00 EET / 13:00 EST

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

sunl
Kuski

Dino Run 2 (FF Cup): Feb 4 18:00 GMT / 20:00 EET / 13:00 EST

Post by sunl »

FINAL STATISTICS ARE RELEASED:

FULL STATISTICS: http://kopasite.net/up/0/DinoFinal.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone! Due to popular demand, Dino Run is back!

Countdown timer: Saturday February 4, 18:00 GMT / 20:00 EET / 13:00 EST
Please use normal zoom (1.00x)
Please use an lgr with default pictures on high quality as your default lgr: Default.lgr / Ghost2.lgr (default with 2nd player ghost)

Last time on Dino Run, a giant meteor almost caused the extinction of all dinosaurs and kuskis. Thanks to the fast speed of the kuskis, both the dinosaurs and kuskis managed to escape the meteor. Now kuskis and dinosaurs live together in peace, partying all the time. However, a menace will soon threaten the world peace, requiring you to run. It's time for...

DINO RUN LAND! (Dino Run 2)

What is Dino Run?
Dino Run is a new competition designed by me. It was inspired from a series of 8 unofficial battles I started at night where the battletime was 1-minute long. These battles were accompanied with a storyline for extra tension to beat each level on time. The first official Dino Run took place in December 17 of 2016, and was very well received. You can see the original Dino Run thread here: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic ... 3&p=252789
The original Dino Run had 9 levels. Feedback from several players indicated that they all felt that the competition could have gone on for twice as long and still be super exciting. In addition, most levels are easier so that people of all calibre can participate fully and enjoy.

Competition Details
Dino Run Land
Time: Saturday February 4, 18:00 GMT / 20:00 EET / 13:00 EST. Click here for countdown.
Levels: 20 levels
Battletype: 1-minute first-finish battles, 40 second countdown, shown to others
Points: (see examples from the original Dino Run: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic ... 3&p=252789)
-20 points for fastest finish
-11-19 points if not fastest or slowest (linear interpolation)
-10 points for slowest finish
-0 points if level not completed within 1 minute
e.g. If 5 people finish the level: 1st place gets 20 points, 2nd place gets 17.5, 3rd place gets 15, 4th place gets 12.5, and 5th place gets 10.
(Equation for points: 10*(2-(x-1)/(n-1)), where x=xth place, and n=number of kuskis who beat level)

Art!
Dino Run is very artistic! Please use the default lgr in high quality. Also, a zoom of 1.00 or 2.00 looks much better than a zoom of 1.25 or 1.50.
Default.lgr / Ghost2.lgr (default with 2nd player ghost)

Prize
-1 postcard from Canada will be sent to the winner with the most points at the end.
-If the winner has already received a postcard, the next place who has not yet received a postcard will receive the postcard.

Lag Adjustment
Disclaimer:
As the battles are run in first-finish mode, due to lag between players and the EOL server, sometimes a player with a faster time will be ranked slower than a second player. These are the rules to fix issues caused by lag. An approximation of these rules was used in the previous Dino Run with great success.
1) If a kuski finishes with a time of 59.00-59.99 on his first run at approximately the time that the balle ends, and the time is not registered, the time will count.
2) A kuski (A) may be bumped up in ranks over a kuski (B) if the following conditions are met:
a) Kuski A has a slower first finish time than Kuski B by no more than 1.49 seconds inclusive
b) Kuski A has a faster level time than Kuski B
c) Kuski A's first finish time is slower than his level time by no more than 1.99 seconds inclusive

----------

Old request for levels:

In order to get more quality levels, (size=150)I am looking for levels from the community(/size). You are all invited to design a level for Dino Run Land (Dino2). There is NO PENALTY for designing a level (see below for exact balancing mechanics). The requirements for level designing are explained right below.

Level Creation Guide:
1) The theme is the most important part of the level. Levels in Dino Run must have a very clear theme. Some examples from the first Dino Run are: Dinosaurs running from a meteor strike, Running on the top of buildings, Penguins in Antarctica, Prison break, etc. The theme should be very prominent in the level and the level must be graphically pleasant and colorful. Plain levels, or random grass/polygon levels are not acceptable.
2) Generally, aim for a first finish time of about 40-45 seconds. Remember that this is a first finish level, and so people may take longer than you think to complete the level, so if possible it is best to design the level with minimal hoyling. Ideally, even an "average" kuski should have a decent chance at being able first finish the level.
3) You can see examples at http://elmaonline.net/statistics/levelpack/DinoRun from the original Dino Run, or look at pictures in the original thread http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9593.
4) Please make the level as a locked level as much as possible. You can send me the level via pm on mopolauta

What happens to my score if I design a level?
If you design a level that is used for Dino Run 2, there is no penalty for score. You should not play your own level, but you will get points anyways. I explain how this works here with an example:
Let's say the competition has 4 levels, and you designed the 3rd level. Your points for the 1st, 2nd and 4th level are 10, 20 and 0. So you got 30 points over 3 levels, making on average of 10 points/level. Therefore, you get awarded 10 points for your own level.
Mathematically, the equation is Points(own level)=∑(points(other levels))/(# of other levels).
This way, you are NOT penalized for making a level. (Extra adjustments may be made if one level is overwhelmingly easy/hard)
Last edited by sunl on 28 Jan 2018, 03:55, edited 18 times in total.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Re: Dino Run 2 eventually!! Looking for level contributions!

Post by kuchitsu »

I will try to make something. A little question... You're saying that there will be plot but you're not telling us much about what the plot is. Will you somehow string it together based on the levels that you receive or what? How do I figure out what's a good theme to use?
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Hey kuchitsu, awesome!

Don't worry too much about the overarching plot. The theme and design of the individual levels is so much more important; there's just an overarching plot to make things vaguely connected and interesting. I'll make the plot near the end based on the levels I receive as well as the levels I make.

In terms of the theme for your level, it can be absolutely anything and everything you can think of from plain to crazy, e.g. ("forest" or "space invaders" or "ant mailman delivering letters to other ants in a hive in 2059". Whatever inspires you!

Hope this helped a bit

Cheers
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Ok, got it! Actually I've always had a thing for themed levels, but for some reason I haven't made that many... I think this is my best: http://elmaonline.net/battles/113735

edit: oh ok, I see you commented there already)
sunl
Kuski

Re: Dino Run 2 early February! (?Feb 4)

Post by sunl »

Tentative date is Saturday February 4 18:00 GMT / 20:00 EET / 12:00 EST.

If Sunday is better or you think the competition should start a bit earlier/later in the day, send me a pm and based on responses I might adjust the time. I will confirm the set time in 1-2 days.

sunl
Kuski

Re: Dino Run 2 early February! (?Feb 4)

Post by sunl »

Official date is set. February 4.

By the end of level-making, I will have put 40-80 hours of work into the levels, plus 20 hours of work into a top-secret project which shall be revealed during the competition. I guarantee that everything is GAA quality if not even better!

sunl
Kuski

Re: Dino Run 2 (FF Cup): Feb 4 18:00 GMT / 20:00 EET / 12:00

Post by sunl »

Will make live recording of competition and upload an elma video of competition sometime after too.
sunl
Kuski

Re: Dino Run 2 (FF Cup): Feb 4 18:00 GMT / 20:00 EET / 13:00

Post by sunl »

Dino Run is coming soon this Saturday! Check countdown timer on first post!!

sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

3 hours until competition starts! Get ready!
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Was max fun, thank you for organising! :beer:

A few levs were quite hard or ez to die in but I guess that's somewhat the point given the narrative =)

Stunning visuals, great levs and overall good feeling in chat etc)
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

great cup and sick nice graphics especially and sorry for being so negative before the cup started. i would consider one-life for future dino cups though since currently people really dont know their standing (because of ff lag times) unless they piece results together from f7 and at least i couldn't finish any level in time if i died even quite earlyish
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Really fun intense contest, fun atmosphere in chat etc. =) Also insane things managed to do with default pics, wtf!
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

As Kazan already has a postcard, adi wins the postcard.

A second competition was to bring the total time of the level pack below 14:01.00. After the competition, the total time was around 15-16. In a few hours, jblaze, Kazan and boomer brought the total time down to below 13:30.00. As the total time requirement was reached, I will shortly be releasing fancypic.exe.

http://elmaonline.net/statistics/levelpack/DinoRun2

More to come...
Last edited by sunl on 5 Feb 2017, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Here is a post-dino run questionnaire to make dino run 3 even better! Just takes 2 minutes. Please complete it if you participated in Dino Run.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rm?c=0&w=1
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Decided to continue play the Dino levels for TT)

Some hours later and finally 13.58.99 TT =)

WR TT: 13.16.25

Under 13 soon surely! :beer:
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Thanks for hosting, I had a great time. Note to self and others: play extra carefully and you'll end up being higher in total standings than with many good positions and several deaths. Also do not read Ramone's chat lines during countdown or you'll end up starting the level late.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

I started many events too late. Just overall no focus during the contest, also had to check all visuals so forgot check where bike was many times. One time I even forgot the contest and during third testride in editor I realised the battle was on. Overall great time! Also maybe reading chat hurted me, dunno. Orcc prolly correct
Elasto Mania - ez better
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

Great cup and levels! Also was nice to have 20 levs instead of 10. About point system: Seems quite perfect to me. I probably wouldn't like the idea that 1st places were valued much higher.

About levs: It was nice to have variety and in general levs could be even harder. I lowered my zoom a bit for this competition but still had problems in levs like 202 (couldn't see at all where to drop), so I personally like small scaled levs. I think there was some tough/dangerous spots in every lev, which was nice.

I can also recommend trying DinoRun2 levpack. Did base TT 12:58
Team MiE
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Sick adi!

Everyone who has wr in Dino Run 2 or good times should send recs to me so I can make video eventually ))
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

how about new?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that