Best Movie of the 00's World Cup

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Re: Best Movie of the 00's World Cup

Post by ville_j »

Keep in mind that this voting is only about which one of the two movies is better. Not like anyone is saying it's the best movie of the decade. But some might think that too.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

NO, it didn't win in all previous rounds.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Ehm, what?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

The fact that it's in the final means that it's (according to the community) one of the two best movies of the decade. All other movies were defeated by one of these two, either directly or indirectly. Keep that in mind please.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

You really seem to lack some logical understanding, seriously.

Can you please first justify this statement:
Pawq wrote:NO, it [Inglourious Basterds] didn't win in all previous rounds.
Then we can come to this ridiculous statement:
Pawq wrote:The fact that it's in the final means that it's (according to the community) one of the two best movies of the decade.
This kind of 1 vs 1 knock-out method does not give the "ultimate" solution. Do you really think, if each of us was to name one movie (the best movie of the decade), that the solution would be exactly the same? This system is good for entertaining purpose, not for the ultimate solution. You should also understand that your so-called "indirect defeating" cannot apply in movies where there aren't any absolute truths how good movies are.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

The problem lies also in different genre's of movies. You might put the best documentary up against the best animated film and then it's just down to personal taste.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Ville_J wrote:Can you please first justify this statement:
Pawq wrote:NO, it [Inglourious Basterds] didn't win in all previous rounds.
oh yes, i can:
Ville_J wrote: Then we can come to this ridiculous statement:
Pawq wrote:The fact that it's in the final means that it's (according to the community) one of the two best movies of the decade.
This kind of 1 vs 1 knock-out method does not give the "ultimate" solution.
Yes it does, finalists have defeated some movies, that previously defeated other movies (finalists doubly better), that previously defeated other movies (finalists tripply better) etc until they have defeated all movies. If one movie defeats another - it's better than the other one (not objectively, according to the community). Therefore the elma community decided, that Inglorious Basterds is one of the two best movies of the decade. It's also doing quite good in making it to the P1. That's what I call ridiculous.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

You just don't seem to think much when posting ok? And no, it does not give the ultimate solution because you might end up voting "irrationally", meaning you can't rank the movies like this: x > y > z. Also, you don't need to vote on each round or all pairs, you might see a movie in the middle of the cup and just then start voting a movie and sometimes coin toss defines 'the winner' so that just gives the final touch of randomness this system has. Just face the fact. You clearly don't see the flaws of the system and take it way too seriously, this is supposed to be fun! If something here is ridiculous it's your attitude. After all if Inglourious Basterds ends up winning, it is the community's vote and it sure does weight more than a single opinion of yours.

And after this shitty cup is over I don't want to read any comments how 'wrong movie won' or any shit like that, because that just is incorrect. This cup had rules, everything went by the rules, so how the fuck could the solution be wrong? I'm in seriouz business here!
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

hard to win all rounds with a coin toss ok
and the fact that you might vote in only one round if you want is so irrelevant, im not talking about votes of particular mans but about basterds winning the whole cup
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

GO LOOOOTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D
ToMaT
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

You are not making any sense, I will stop here.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

pawq has to be drunk... look, if in the first round one pair was inception vs. lotr: fotr already we would obviously have a different final now, but the movie taste of the lauta guys wouldn't have changed. what now?
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Lukazz wrote:pawq has to be drunk... look, if in the first round one pair was inception vs. lotr: fotr already we would obviously have a different final now, but the movie taste of the lauta guys wouldn't have changed. what now?
In that case I would have made a mistake in including Inception since it wouldn't be eligible :P.

Anyway, Pawq is correct in saying that the ultimate winner of the cup will indirectly have beaten all the other movies. Both movies in the final, however, have not indirectly beaten the other 94 movies, but the final winner will. But this is of course all according to the Mopolauta community, which may or may not be the same people in each round. If everyone had seen every movie, and everyone voted in each round, and everyone voted consistently, then the final result shouldn't differ with the randomization of the pairs. As it is now, it will differ, so both Pawq and Ville_J are correct.
Edit: Or maybe not.. hmm. It would be true for every single voter.. but as a whole.. blah, they might not be the same after all :P
Haruhi wrote:The problem lies also in different genre's of movies. You might put the best documentary up against the best animated film and then it's just down to personal taste.
And here I thought this was all about personal taste...
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Well ok, it depends on how you think about it. But in my opinion 'indirect wins' are meaningless, not wins at all, and should not be given too much thoughts in this game.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Yeah, after all, it is just a game. Not meant to be anything else than entertainment :).

The final winner will still be the deserved winner according to the rules of the cup. And generally people accept such a system for crowning a champion, as a cup is used for determining the FIFA World Cup winner, for instance, or the Snooker World Champion. One major difference of course is that they rely on a seeding system and not randomized pairs. But seeding the movies based on IMDb rating or something wouldn't be as entertaining in my view; it's exciting to see which movies are paired next.
Rules | FAQ
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

It's ridiculous how seriously Pawq is taking this whole thing. At some point he contacted me on MSN and asked me to vote for some Star Wars movie in a pair I had skipped because I disliked both movies in it. Just... chill, please.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

SveinR wrote:
Lukazz wrote:pawq has to be drunk... look, if in the first round one pair was inception vs. lotr: fotr already we would obviously have a different final now, but the movie taste of the lauta guys wouldn't have changed. what now?
In that case I would have made a mistake in including Inception since it wouldn't be eligible :P.
damn, meant inglourious basterds of course. ;)

and ye, sure, winner would still be the same with randomization of pairs, but the second place would be something else probably.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I thought it would be interesting to see which movies the two finalists had to beat in order to reach the final:

Inglourious Basterds
--------------------
The Dark Knight
El laberinto del fauno / Pan's Labyrinth
Slumdog Millionaire
Snatch.
Requiem for a Dream

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
--------------------
Big Fish
Das Leben der Anderen / The Lives of Others
In Bruges
Die Welle / The Wave
Requiem for a Dream
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Rules | FAQ
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Jappe wrote:on topic: seems like inglorious basterds had much harder path, lotr got lucky
I thought the same.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Inglourious Basterds VS The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Note: Due to me not being able to post during the next couple of days, the deadline has been postponed to Friday 19th August, 23:59 CET (GMT+1).
Rules | FAQ
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Have you lost your hands and they won't be re-attached until Friday? I hate it when that happens.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Markku
38mins club

Post by Markku »

Inglourious Basterds VS The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Spoiler

Another spoiler: LOTR won.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

RESULTS FROM THE FINAL

Inglourious Basterds 8 - 12 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Mopolauta has spoken: The best movie of the 00's is The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring!

Comments on the results:

The total number of voters in the final were: 20
The total number of different voters in the whole World Cup were: 29
The highest number of voters in a single round was 23, in the semi-final.
The most votes recieved for a single movie in a round was 12, achieved by The Hangover in Round 2, Inglourious Basterds in Round 3 and Round 5, and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in the final.
The most votes in a single pair was 20, achieved by the Inglourious Basterds VS Requiem for a Dream pair in the semi-final.
Rules | FAQ
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

I'm proud of you, Elma Scene!
ToMaT
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i hate the lord of the ring movies. worst movies i've ever seen :<
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Lukazz wrote:i hate the lord of the ring movies. worst movies i've ever seen :<
Kinda same here, wasn't affected by the movies at all, which was a great letdown. But the books are astonishing though. I remember being stunned for like 2 weeks after reading teh, and just couldn't accept the fact that the story is over. Used to go for a long walk in forest each day, imagining and re-experiencing the scenes in my mind, until i've finally got my feelings straight and could get back to the real world. One of the best and strongest feelings i've had, so ye, thanks to lotr.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

yea after finishing the book all the extra material (timeline, maps etc)was suddenly super interesting, ofc also had to read all other tolkien books that might be even slightly related to lotr

on tropic: seems about right winner although had seen only like 4 of the nominated movies =D
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

anpdad wrote:Kinda same here, wasn't affected by the movies at all, which was a great letdown. But the books are astonishing though. I remember being stunned for like 2 weeks after reading teh, and just couldn't accept the fact that the story is over. Used to go for a long walk in forest each day, imagining and re-experiencing the scenes in my mind, until i've finally got my feelings straight and could get back to the real world. One of the best and strongest feelings i've had, so ye, thanks to lotr.
The movie is obviously not as good as the book. Obviously. But still I would consider it one of the best movies of this decade, easily.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

What I think:
If there were no books (the story/world was created by the script writer) the movies would easily be best of the decade. However they are based on brilliant books that we know and were amazed by, hence we don't rate the movies by the story. Other movies often get their credit largely due to their stories, lotr doesn't. Without a story it's much harder for a movie to impress, and lotr clearly did impress all by being rated so highly both by critics and the elma community. Yes, I know that some of the credit it gets is nevertheless thanks to the story, but not in such a massive part as when it comes to other movies.