Hoyling of Rubic's Cube

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

kuchitsu
Kuski

Re: Hoyling of Rubic's Cube

Post by kuchitsu »

To me it was very surprising to learn that most people never figure out how to solve the cube by themselves and instead just look up tutorials. That's like using godmode on your first playthrough of a 3D shooter! If I'm ever going to solve it I'm gonna do it all by myself imo.)
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Yeah that's pretty sick. Cross in four moves and looks like he skipped PLL by delaying a corner? I tried looking at the solution but I'm no expert so hard for me to say exactly what's going on. I wonder how many hours went into that WR.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

kuchitsu wrote:To me it was very surprising to learn that most people never figure out how to solve the cube by themselves and instead just look up tutorials. That's like using godmode on your first playthrough of a 3D shooter! If I'm ever going to solve it I'm gonna do it all by myself imo.)
Well, good luck with it.
Never thought about tutorial as a cheat. It was hard enough to solve the cube for the first time even with tutorial!

It's like assembling a new Lego set. When I start to assemble it, I have to read the building instructions, because I don't want to spend hours with experimenting with unworking brick combinations, I want to do it the easiest and fastest way.
Of course, steps can be memorized and after 10/20/100 buildings it's possible to do it superfast.

Would be really interesting to know how many pro cubers' first solve was made without tutorial...
Tigro wrote:4.74
WTF, 4.74? Soon U4 or what?
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Ruben wrote:Cross in four moves and looks like he skipped PLL by delaying a corner?
Wait, what? Didn't he use a hyperloop shortcut through a time-bending cryoalgorithm?

Fucking sick, that. No idea how it's even possible o,o
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

I solved cube without instructions, however I had heard the system how I built it (one side first, then start doing layer by layer) but I didn't know any moves. It does sound like it can be really hard but after all it wasn't that impsy, I think I finished it within 2 weeks of not very intense cubing. The way I worked was so that I would first move a piece to the place it belongs with the smallest amount of moves I could think, then check the rest of the cube and see how to "cancel" the move with a different set of moves so that the earlier placed pieces would be back to right places. Then I would memorize these moves and have rules how they rotate pieces. These moves are probably not very optimized, maybe should some time do some comparison, but haven't really been that interested in reading about moves and techniques on the Internet. The most frustrating thing was that had to start all over again so many times, but that's how you learn!
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Grats Mats.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Max respect ville_j for choosing the hard way!
My case is the opposite, 2 years ago I bought a cube because I had found a tutorial and I was quite excited about it, wanted to solve it ASAP.
First solve lasted about an hour, and I had no idea about what I was doing:D But I began to understand it's nature deeper and deeper after a couple of solves.
My goal was going under 1min, so I started to memorize 2-look algorithms for better results.
After achieving u min, I've realized that I would need enormous amount of time for better results... So I'm stucked about 50-55s average, and I don't play everyday anymore, just occassionally.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

holy cow it hasn't been even a month.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

And Mats is sitting right next to him!
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

My SD card just ran out
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting