METAL

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Igge
38mins club

Re: METAL

Post by Igge »

I'm stuck in 70s and 80s prog myself atm, though mostly rock, not metal. Genesis, Marillion etc. Very najs music.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I still listen to metal quite a lot. When i go out, I use closed headphones (sennheisser HD 202) and I play it loud to my ears. I have to travel a lot (~2h a day in public transport I guess - uni far away) so I have a lot of time to listen to new bands I dl. But when I am home, I enjoy many "softer" music genres; pop mostly or anything I find amusing. Dunno why, maybe coz it's cozier at home and I do not feel like waking up all the neighbors :)

Some of the less known but interesting modern-metal bands I found lately:

The Browning (electro metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8MlLcBQvE )
Buried in Verona (metalcore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEZpiMDX9ic )
Caliban (metalcore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO1FE62TuXw )
Debauchery (german death metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkkYxmMj-Oo )
Septic Flesh (symphonic death metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFY_RuQQgYU ) not so modern tbh :D
Shemales From Outta Space of Death (electro dance deathcore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGkmiwP--o )

and I dl-ed everything released by all-time extreme metal classic - Pig Destroyer. Decent shiat, but regular albums are better. (i already posted this, but it's cool song :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_SqtCNhv44 )
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

FinMan wrote:
Lousku wrote:
Tigro wrote:HB
raff :D I had their album as a kid.
I was in their concert. :beer:
they will be in SVK, and for free, so i will maybe go.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

jonharkulsykkel wrote:
Zweq wrote:I guess there's no going back when you try 70s PROg.
tru dat :d recently tried to listen to some metel i used to like, doesnt work anymore
still theres a very few good ones though (opeth, russian circles)
same. every word.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Going with Polarix to see Sabaton tomorrow :D
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

awesome to see that you kept touch with polarix, max nice guy
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I am considering Nightwish + Sabaton on 14th June too.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

ye he's a nice guy, been hanging with him much lately.

Nice Tigro, new nightwish artist is much better than last one, still not same as Tarja though but I would love too see them once.

Sabaton brings lot of good energy and fun in their conserts, was great performance yesterday. They had guitar contest, playing riffs from metallica and dragonforce.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Anyone with tips for good unknown metal groups? Maybe even known groups :)

I listen mostly to the fastest genres available (high beats per minute), preferably without clean vocals. I also enjoy modern metal (with electro influences). Or just electro stuff with growling (but there ain't many of them), or just very high bpm electro (speedcore, breakcore).

Lately I've discovered Zardonic (interesting columbian DJ, who blends DnB and metal. Lot of cover songs too),
Hentai Corporation (popular genuine czech group, they categorize themselves as Thrash-Rock'n'roll),
Squarepusher (simple bass melodies, but nicely complicated beats. He is maybe the biggest name in his genre - Drill n Bass),
The Crown ("just" very very good melodic death metal),
also Babymetal is wtf interesting (J-pop + various metal genres).
Also can't forget Pig Destroyer again (my all time favorite grindcore).

Still listening to other classics like Daft Punk <3 (I know, very not metal, but it's ez number one group I wanna see live atm), Behemoth, Porcupine Tree, even Bring me the Horizon.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Ever heard of Buckethead? Pepper's Ghost, The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock and Inbred Mountain are fun albums, Crime Slunk Scene has some cool stuff too. Here's a popular song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxpOdMRUcRc
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

impsy listen to metal duno what hapent but totally impsy, i used to only metal
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Zweq wrote:impsy listen to metal duno what hapent but totally impsy, i used to only metal
Same here! Wasn't just metal, but was a lot. Nowadays I can barely stand it, and listen to pretty much anything rather than metal. I don't know if it got too repetitive or what, but it just completely lost its magic.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I had to take a break from metal too, started listening to all sorts of stuff (maybe with the exception of rap), mostly epic soundtracks like Two Steps From Hell, movie OSTs, etc., and then started Nightcore (because im retarded) and here and there I can listen to metal again without having strange feels. I think in the soon future I will be able to listen to it regularly again ez. One of the possibilities is that I can't listen to metal just as a background music, I need to focus on it entirely to have an effect. Other genres can be listened as background to learning, clubbing or whatever you are doing. But metaling only when I am not doing anything else in particular..
It can be an interesting sociologic phenomenon going on, so if someone knows more about why I cannot listen to the music i loved before...

Bludek, i guess you are listening to Amaranthe then, since they aren't that unknown. Just 3 albums so far but pretty energetic and not repetitive.
From the not-so-famous groups I listened Eagles of Death Metal (ye, they are not metal), but then Bataclan happened and everyone knows about them now.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Zweq wrote:impsy listen to metal duno what hapent but totally impsy, i used to only metal
I'm in the same boat here. I still listen to it, but not nearly as much. On top of that, though, i have lost most of my love for music in general. I used to be super passionate about it, and would often listen for hours while focusing intensely on music. Every album was like a journey that would leave fond memories and a long-lasting impact on my brain. Nowadays i carelessly put some random light crap in background simply for an ambient effect, until it becomes too annoying. Then i switch to another random crap that fills the air and doesn't distract me from what i'm doing.

I haven't properly listened to music in years and have no desire to do so. It probably correlates mostly with a trainwreck of a mental state i'm currently in, rather than age or something like that. I can see myself going back to loving music and metal in the future, some day. I still love and appreciate it somewhere deep inside, i just don't want to listen to it. It's probably a different thing to what you, igge and tigro are experiencing, but who knows :D
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

While I used to listen to metal exclusively and not quite so anymore, I still get in the mood for it every other day for at least an hour or so. My go-to's off the top of my head are mostly quite proggy lately but also some bangers I've been listening to for over 10 years without getting tired. Whether I'll be into it just really really depends on the mood and mostly requires a lot of attention to give so can't be background for working.

Tool
Alcest
Devin Townsend
Strapping Young Lad
Opeth
Mastodon
Isis
Russian Circles
Rosetta
Summoning
Moonsorrow
Windir
Be'lakor
Enshine
Agalloch
Eluveitie
Epica
The Gathering
Nine Inch Nails
old In Flames
Amon Amarth
Dark Tranquillity
Arch Enemy
Soilwork
Blind Guardian
Arcturus
Solefald

and lots of heavy-leaning post-rock.

I think that the decline of interest in metal directly correlates with the amount of time I have to dedicate to finding new music, learning more about the artists etc., which hasn't been much since I've started to support myself. I think there's maybe 3-5 metal bands I've discovered in the last 5 years (favs being Be'lakor and Enshine) that have stayed in my playlists but I just can't say I've tried much, I'm sure there's plenty of omg awesome, fresh material coming out right now as there's always been. But it's mostly rediscovering that happens now, as that seems to require lower effort and higher immediate reward than digging through new stuff that might be mostly garbage.
39:37,91
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I love metal, but most metal bands are just the same boring repetitious crap and listening to the few good ones can get boring too, so maybe that's the reason. Also, your taste in music changes over time, that's normal. Maybe in a few years you'll listen to Justin Bieber (just like Bjenn does now).
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

I know it can get old, I'm sure I've had periods of 3 months or longer without listening to any metal. I mostly listen to electronic music nowadays anyway. But I still come back to it.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

im also become very unmetal last years. still have old favs that play now and then. i would actually love to find new good metal, but it's so much effort finding right type. i like a bit of various genres, but the things i end up liking are very specific and anything else just becomes super bore generic idiot to me so it's hard to find something that speaks to me right away. think last year i found maybe one new band i enjoyed. also impsy try and get suggestion because if say what like to someone they recommend same stuff i either know about whether like it or not, or stuff not remotely similar and then just want to fuk them in face for being dumb
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

8 ball, what do you think of the ambient of Burzum?
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Not my thing. I very much enjoy the ambient of Ulver, though.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I listen to music very differently than before: I don't play elma anymore, and what I do on the computer is mostly work-related. At work there's a radio with shit I can easily tolerate these days. At home I put up stuff I still have from my early adolescence. Some is metal, some is jazz. But when it comes to playing the guitar, I play a lot of metal. I've bought all extra DLC in Rocksmith and I (try to) play it all. Even "the Metal" from Tenacious D, which I think was the inspiration for this very thread.