IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by Kopaka »

Bjenn wrote:
Boomer wrote:
Bjenn wrote:John: The links in your first post does not work. Here is my movie list http://www.imdb.com/list/ls001161497/
Hmm, I only see my votes or the IMDb rating, not your votes.
Really? Because I tried the link while I was logged out, and it worked still.
I also tried the link in IE now and I have never been logged in to IMDB in this browser, still worked!

It says MyMovies: Mina Filmer "by nygrenbjorn"
Yes we see your list, but not your ratings for those movies. What you're linking is what imdb calls a list, which you can make multiples of, and have movies you've rated or not. A link to your ratings looks something like this www.imdb.com/user/ur3313723/ratings (which you need to set to public)
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Kopaka wrote:Yes we see your list, but not your ratings for those movies. What you're linking is what imdb calls a list, which you can make multiples of, and have movies you've rated or not. A link to your ratings looks something like this http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3313723/ratings (which you need to set to public)
Ah I understand now!
I can see your ratings Kopaka, but have to be in "compact view" where a smaller list is shown.
Can you see my ratings? http://www.imdb.com/user/ur16914256/ratings
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Bjenn wrote:Ah I understand now!
I can see your ratings Kopaka, but have to be in "compact view" where a smaller list is shown.
Can you see my ratings? http://www.imdb.com/user/ur16914256/ratings
Yes, works now. I didn't know ElastoMania had an IMDb entry... :D
my: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur41454399/ratings

back ontopic:
Asssault on Arkham (2014) - 7/10
Nice anim. I am a Batman fan, but don't know any other stuff from DC universe, so seeing some other antiheroes etc. was a pretty good experience. Harley will definitely bring some fun in upcoming Suicide Squad movie.
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

Deadpool (2016) - 7/10
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Spotlight: 7/10
Pretty oke/good, not amazing, but enjoyngable. Had a nice general feel to it.

Creed: 5/10
It wasn't terrible, but not really good either. Just oke. Mostly pretty expected stuff, but didn't mind it too much.

The Last Witch Hunter: 4/10
Initially quite skeptical to this, but saw some people saying it really wasn't half-bad for what it was and even better than expected. I guess those people were retarded, as it was quite bad. Did have Rose Leslie in it though so +0.5 for that.......

Blood, Sweat, and Beer: 3/10
Documentary about microbreweries. Imagined might be interesting to some degree, but all you get to see is people without any business sense and a bit of circle jerking about beer and how awesome they are. Very skippable.
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Watched Deadpool too. Dunno if it's good or bad but it's definitely not my style. Just too dark and "dirty", and not in some stylish way imo, plus the plot was quite basic and the action scenes were empty. But I've never seen any Marvel movies before so I won't be surprised if I totally missed the point. It was still kinda amusing to watch something that is SO out of my comfort zone. Such experiences can be interesting sometimes. And the humor was oke, I genuinely laughed at some phrases.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

kuchitsu wrote:But I've never seen any Marvel movies before so I won't be surprised if I totally missed the point.
Apart from Big Hero Six, Spiderman and most of X-men movies, all Marvel blockbusters have primitive plot, many action scenes, etc. etc. so Deadpool seems to be typical Marvel style.
Pascal
Kuski

Post by Pascal »

Spotlight - 5/10

I admire sublime topic, really, but it was just boring. Too many people, too many names you can't even remember. Acting was merely OK (nothing bad, nothing good), anyone from modern actors could fit it, but I don't blame the film, it just seems impossible to play some unique role of editor/reprter or wahtever. The screenplay supposed to be the main advantage of the movie, it wasn't imo. It couldn't keep me interested, the movie was too long. Overally, wouldn't watch it again.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

kuchitsu wrote:But I've never seen any Marvel movies before so I won't be surprised if I totally missed the point.
First of all, Deadpool was made by Fox, the same studio who makes X-Men, Wolverine and all those atrocious Fantastic 4 movies. They also have some trademark on the word "mutant," which is why the word is painfully absent in Marvel Studio's own movies (Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy etc). Sony had the rights to Spider-man, but Marvel recently partly reaquired him, so he'll be in upcoming Marvel Studios movies.

So to clearify, there are three studios who all have different rights to different Marvel characters. Fox, Sony and Marvel Studios. This means that although Deadpool (Fox), Spider-man (Sony and now Marvel) and Iron Man (Marvel Studios) are Marvel characters, their respective movies and production companies have nothing to do with each other. When that's said, you can't really expect all the movies to look alike, although they kinda do sadly.

In regards to Deadpool, it's nothing like any other Marvel movie, although it is somewhat similar to Kick-Ass in terms of style, but a lot more gory and crude. Kick-Ass, however, was NOT created by any of the aformentioned studios, but another studio named Marv. Not to be confused with Marvel, who hilarously aquired Marv some years ago.

Watch Guardians of the Galaxy, it's the best superhero movie ever. AND it's a proper science fiction too.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

The Lobster: 4/10
Was looking forward to this and thought maybe it would even be a little underrated because concept sounded cool and I imagined it would have some nice feeling to it. Instead it was kind of boring as shit, and I hated the whole world and the characters. Very disappointing.

The Night Before: 4/10
Barely had a few funny moments really, comedy way overdone and tryhard to teh max and just lame.

Room: 7/10
Was pretty good, could understand why people like it a bit more than I did too. Didn't feel it all the way through, something about it kinda put me off it in some way, duno what. Still liked it though and thought was good, so okenp.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I also saw The Lobster, rated the same =D Felt only megaweird and uncomfortable. Me and my gf skipjumped through the last 40mins of the movie.
I deleted it from harddrive after ;D I normally save all so that I can watch them again, but this was a big no no. 4/10.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) - 7/10 Really recommend watching =) Like a Bond movie, but with more puns.
Tomorrowland (2015) - 7/10 Interesting, imaginative.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

How To Be Single - 6/10
Actually a funny movie if you watch it like me, with your partner and a crowd not afraid to laugh. Pretty light-weight obviously but I never expected it to be anything else. Rebel Wilson is a bit hit or miss, in this one she was good. LOLd many times.

The Danish Girl - 7/10
Great performances by Redmayne and Vikander (maybe a bit biased towards Vikander, she's swedish and beautiful). Although great acting and well executed I felt something was still missing, that's why not 8/10 or higher. Tom Hooper directing, really loved The King's Speech when it came out (it's moving around in my 9/10 - 10/10 region). Still prefer that movie over this one.

Den Unge Zlatan - 5/10
A movie about the uprise of 'the young Zlatan' Ibrahimovic. Being Sweden's best football player of all time this is the story of how he moved from the poor neighborhoods in Malmö to a multi million dollar (or actually Euro) deal with Juventus. That's my main concern about this movie, it ends too soon. Zlatan signed with Juventus in 2004 and even though the title hints about an early time frame I would really have liked to see how he turned into this monster of a player he is today.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Vacation: 5/10
I was never really a huge fan of the original Chevy Chase movies to begin with, so I'm pretty neutral to this sequel and how they changed the actors etc. Like the original movies, not really my thing. Most of the time the humour is just really garbage and too obvious or lame, whatever. It did give some laughs though in the end, and it was by no way torturous to sit through or anything, so didn't mind it too much for what it was.

The Big Short: 7/10
Really more 7.5 almost 8 for me. I fucking loved this. Yet weirdly questioning myself when watching it, because it was kind of not my typical style and I kept wondering why I loved it so much. Not a bad thing though. Story is awesome, if perhaps a bit abstracted truth. Loved most of the characters and actors, editing, all that jazz. Just really enjoyable movie for me.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Point Break (2015) - 4/10
I found a little bit of entertainment in this, that is before I fell asleep during one of the adrenaline scenes. Not much adrenaline for me in this. Closer to 3 than 5.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - 6/10
Hm, quite OK action based on real life events. The Michael Bay firework explosions took away some realism. Closer to 5 than 7.

Room - 8/10
Pretty much a spot on 8. Brie did an OK performance although not really Oscar worthy imo, but both my girlfriend and I were mega impressed by the young actor playing her son. The movie was quite moving at times, mostly due to the kid's performance.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Room was fantastic, I really liked it. Recommending to everyone.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Citizen Kane (1941) 7/10
i never saw these old classic movies so decided to check few of them to see if they stand the test of time and are worth seeing (i downloaded 6 and decided i watch them all and then make final judgement). i think it was some 6-7 movie, i gave it generous 7 (old movie handicap). beginning especially you can say its very "old" style of storytelling but it got better pretty fast once the narrator stopped babbling, not the greatest movie for me but it was still worth watching, 1/6 classics watched, 5 more to go!
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Are there any Charlie Chaplin movies in your list? Imo definitely watch The Great Dictator or A King in New York. Or maybe even earlier silent stuff like City Lights (absolutely legendary film, many great filmmakers were influenced by it).
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

kuchitsu wrote:Are there any Charlie Chaplin movies in your list? Imo definitely watch The Great Dictator or A King in New York. Or maybe even earlier silent stuff like City Lights (absolutely legendary film, many great filmmakers were influenced by it).
I have around 5 Chaplin movies in watchlist/watched, including Dictator and City Lights. But I realised I need a specific nostalgic mood to be able to watch those.
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Saw Buster Keaton's The General the other day. Very good and was surprisingly both entertaining and had suspense. 8/10

As far as Chaplin is concerned, my favourites are The Kid and Modern Times. Only one left to see for me is the one where he's at a circus.
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Dial M for Murder 8/10 (1954)
North by Northwest 6/10 (1959)
12 Angry Men 8/10 (1957)

i have now watched 4/6 of my selected classics and i have to say so far it has been worth it, quite opposite of what i expected. dial m for murder and 12 angry men both took place almost entirely in single set but the story/dialogue was so well done it didnt detract from the experience at all. north by northwest was weakest so far and got little silly in the end but it was still enjoyable though a bit too long as it dragged out in certain spots. one thing that really has bothered me when watching these movies is the music, its just god awful orchestra music on full blast and no subtlety at all and really is the definite weak point in these old movies. dial m for murder and 12 angry men especially had a nice lack of music thankfully
two movies left to watch but they last for over 7 hours combined /o\
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Dial M for Murder one of my favourites =)
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Pascal
Kuski

Post by Pascal »

The Walk - 8/10
Was very nice to watch, nice overacting by Joseph Gordon Levitt and overally seemed really pleasant.

Now You See Me - 6/10
Bullshit, almost more sci-fi than thriller. Wasn't that bad too watch but amount of nonsense has overflown my stack.

Dark Places - 5/10
The book was better (nat really original sentence), I think that they didn't depict important characters very well (Ben, his mother). Also, I don't respect Moretz as an actress but she played quite well her part.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - 7/10
Nice atmosphere and plot but ending was meh. I can partially forgive since it's taken from book.

Victor Frankenstein - 5/10
Not good, not bad, just mediocre, nothing you can remember. Only for one time.

Deadpool - 7/10
I liked that they made it as Valentine's Day movie, kinda fits. Some nice jokes and some not so nice. I dunno if 7 is not too much, but what the heck, it differs from typical superhero movies so I don;t want to be that harsh.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

The Hateful Eight: 7/10
Pretty mediocre Tarantino, quite disappointing overall. Luckily it's still Tarantino so even his worst stuff is better than your average movie, still enjoyed it.

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens: 7/10
Not really SW fan, but the original trilogy still holds some memories and always enjoyed them. Prequels were all mostly shit/average at best, except the 3rd one I didn't mind too much. So I was not really excited or had any hopes at all for these new sequels. Admittedly it was better than expected. Hard to deny the writing and story is pretty fucking basic at its core, and it's a bit... circlejerking towards the old trilogy in a way, lots of homages and similarities. Whether that's a bad or good thing is debatable. I enjoyed it, while truthfully it's not really a great movie, it didn't matter to me while watching it. So: oke!
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

The Big Short was great. Didn't really understand any of the economics stuff, but that only made it more beautiful. Instead of drama or some plot devices, the entertainment value was based entirely on the acting, music, editing and things like that. It was like pure "raw" artistry not tainted by attempts at storytelling. Pretty cool and the Russian dub was surprisingly well done.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Triple 9 - 5/10
A very average movie. Imo it's kinda all over the place, it starts out in one direction, then takes off in an other and so on. Maybe you could say it tried too much but instead fell flat. A bit disappointed considering the cast.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Ben-Hur - 7/10 (1959)
Lawrence of Arabia - 3/10 (1962)

finished my classic 6 movies and gave 5/6 good ratings but none reached 9 or 10. i will continue to find/watch them though as they seem to be solid movies, plot and dialogue is usually better than modern movies. lawrence of arabia was the only one i didnt like, the pace was too slow and the desert setting didnt appeal to me. i usually have difficulty watching long movies like i said and lawrence of arabia was quite hard but ben-hur at 3h40mins didnt seem too long at all. there was a lot of story so at no point it felt like the movie was dragging on too much

The Revenant - 5/10 (2015)
disappointing, was expecting this to be a much better movie. many of the scenes were over the top and i didnt really find myself caring too much about any of the characters or what happens to them and dicaprio had nice selective mutisism at few points when it was convenient for the plot and also but bales batman to shame with his voice in this movie. it was not bad though but not very good either
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Baman against Supaman (2016) - 6/10
Was watchable, pretty cheesy all in all, not classic marvel, and DC showed it can do fantasy movies as well, after post-Nolan era. Not a great/amazing/good movie, but as long as you are a fan of franchise, it's ok.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

About Time: 7/10
Was oke nice romcom type of thing, had some oke humour parts and also sad and cute and stuff overall: oke

Momo e no tegami: 6/10
Expected a bit more going into it, so a little disappointing. Story was sort of meh, only nise part was some of the main characters. Oke relax easy going mov if bored though, definitely not mind watching in hindsight.
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) - 3/10

This was such a stupid movie. I could complain how badly it was directed or how shitty the script was but I think the real problem was that the viewer is expected to know everything about the DC universe. There were several moments where I had no fucking clue what was happening or why. Random action scenes kept popping up without any reason at all and they were never explained later. It's just a big mess that was way too long. It could have been better without the whole action bullshit scene in the end that didn't fit the movie at all.

The only reason why I don't give this movie 2 is the acting by Jesse Eisenberg, Amy Adams and Lawrence Fishburne. I could enjoy some of those moments but unfortunately the script killed most of it..

I saw Man of Steel a couple years ago and I thought it couldn't get any worse but ta-da. They did it :)
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Pascal
Kuski

Post by Pascal »

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) - 7/10

I don't really understand negative opinions. The film is different than trying-to-be-funny Marvel movies. 7/10 may be too much but the film was OK. Too much overflown with characters and so many plotlines that at one point you don't know what the film is really about. But I wasn't bored at all, even Affleck was OK. Te greatest fuckup though was casting Eisenberg. He's terrible actor, plays himself in every movie and is irritating as fuck. He forgot that he's ought to play Lex Luthor, not some grotesque version of Joker. 2/10 for his acting (which is the most severe penalty from me since I don't use 1/10 and 10/10 ratings).
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

The Finest Hours: 4/10
Thought it sounded vaguely interesting, turned out to be boring as shit, annoying characters, bleh.

Concussion: 5/10
Also sounded like it could be nice, yet another boring movie. Pretty poor writing and just horror bad uneventful and weirdly put together. Watchable I guess to some degree still.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

London Has Fallen - 4/10
Kung Fu Panda 3 - 7/10
Spotlight - 7/10
10 Cloverfield Lane - 6/10
Eddie The Eagle - 6/10
Hardcore (Henry) - 5/10
The Jungle Book - 4/10
Where To Invade Next - 7/10
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I also watched London Has Fallen.) I think it had quite a bit of potential just because it's fun to see such havoc and destruction (many presidents getting murdered, famous buildings destroyed, mass hysteria, etc). But they made only one epic scene at the beginning and that's all... Disappointing. I think it could have been pretty enjoyable if they taken it less seriously and just went wild with terrorism. Hope I don't sound like a psycho lol.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Sisters: 5/10
Was pretty disappointing, even without any expectations. Had some funny moments and it wasn't a total shit fest, so could be worse. Maybe +1 just for Tina Fey looking impsy extra sexy in it.

The Survivalist: 6/10
Left me with more questions than answers in the end, but maybe I'm too dumb. So much random shit happening without any explanation. I guess it was interesting enough to watch through, but kept having a hard time getting into it and understanding the reason behind people's actions. Had very good tits in it though so there's that.

Deadpool: 6/10
Being pretty fed up with all the stupid Deadpool cosplay shit and circle-jerking of that type of humour that's been going on the last years, I was kinda weary about this movie. The first 5 minutes almost made me regret watching it, because it felt like the most cringeworthy 12yr old humour constantly. Luckily that cooled down a little bit throughout the rest of the movie, and it wasn't completely horrible. Guess watchable, but that's pretty much it. Nothing amazing or interesting about this at all.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Tabloid - 5/10 (2010)
really strange story but somewhat poor execution from filmmakers, still worth a watch i guess (could have interviewed more people and visited more locations etc)

Heavy Metal - 7/10 (1981)
found this from joe rogans podcast when him and dave attell were talking how good it was. i tend to think comedy is the only suitable medium for comics/animation and never was into any graphic novels etc but this movie was quite good, it didnt take itself too seriously and had some funny moments, dry humour mostly and good mix of horror also. the retro heavy metal feel was also nice, some of the scenes could have been from 80s metal video

Deadpool - 8/10 (2016)
i like superhero movies in general, good entertainment if you leave your brain "in the lobby".

The Armstrong Lie - 7/10 (2013)
pretty good documentary, armstrong is a huge dick and the makers of this film make it clear even if they worked very closely with armstrong during the making of this film (though the direction of the film changed midway of making it). they also interview people whose careers armstrong ruined to keep his secret, good watch even if you dont like or know anything about cycling like me

Straw Dogs - 4/10 (1971)
watched another somewhat classic movie. this one didnt really stand the test of time, quite boring all the way through

The Killing - 6/10 (1956)
well made movie overall and good use of non-linear plot. acting and characters were interesting and unique except maybe for the dumb bimbo role that was a bit caricaturish. kubrick should have stuck with these types of movies imo instead of those artsy shitters

Le trou - 8/10 (1960)
good prison movie that manages to keep the suspense up to the very end. good writing and acting but i think camera work was a bit lacking and some scenes of people just digging were superlong for no reason, like seriously 5 minutes of digging but it didnt bother me that much in the end as it was overall a nice movie
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens - 3/10 (2015)
real bad, all the new characters had zero personality and the plot was bad, basically almost everything was bad, the fights, dialoque, story etc. only thing i liked was chewbacca and han solo. i can see why they made the baddie wear a mask for no reason since he looks like one of the members of the big bang theory without it. he did remove it at times which was a huge mistake. rey just magically learning all the force moves without any training was maybe stupidest thing in this movie when in other movies it took jedis years of training when guided by yodas

Wizards - 3/10 (1977)
another 3 movie, this one was also mentioned in joe rogan podcast at the same time they talked about heavy metal and i liked it so i decided to give this a try also. seems the interlinked short stories style of heavy metal suits these kinds of animations better as this one just seemed overly long and boring. they also took some obvious shortcuts in animation, many of the scenes were real footage made into black silhuette and it just looked bad and the antagonist nazi stuff was quite dumb
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

5tr1k3r wrote:Children of Men (2006) - 9/10
cinematography in this movie is mindblowing
Totally agree with this one! The moving shots felt super realistic, and I loved how the camera/music/sound didn't give away what was going to happen.

I kinda liked both The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything, but both were super oscar bait, and neither impressed me particularly. Just well-made films in all aspects, but without the "thing".

Hated Mad Max: Fury Road though. I can't comprehend where it got all its hype. So uninteresting...

Don't understand why John didn't enjoy Inside Out. Not only I enjoyed it tremendously, but I think it's such a clever depiction of what's going on in a person's head, especially a child! Strong 9 from me.

Also loved the Martian. Felt like a great balance between geeky stuff and humoristic stuff. The only thing that annoyed me (as hell) was the main few (lame) actors that the plot kept revolving around. The satellite video girl, NASA director and the PR woman... Why were they even in the film??

Ruben: I'll definitely watch Castaway on the Moon after reading your recommendation, thanks! :)

The Revenant was oke (great directing and cinematography), but the story was lame as fuck and I have absolutely no idea in the world why Leo got the oscar :U

As for Star Wars... I agree with a lot of things from the last post. I was so thoroughly disappointed! Well-made, which is expected with the budget, but the whole storyline was an absolute rip-off, and nothing in this film was NEW, or inventive, which is what I've always loved SW for (yes, the prequels too...). Haven't even rated it, because dunno... 0 expectations for the next films now, don't know if I'm even going to bother. A bit sad that SW is turning into another Marvel.
Pascal
Kuski

Post by Pascal »

Captain America: Civil War - 7/10
Was nice. First half pretty boring but gets better and better afterwards. Kinda funny, though I'm not really a fan of Marvel's sense of humour. Some jokes were good.

Colonia - 7/10
Very well played, Daniel Bruhl and Emma Watson did great job. Finale was too inprobable but it does not spoil the whole movie. Quite much action in ending scenes. I liked the movie, could recommend it.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Furious Seven (2015) - 3/10
cliché, cliché, cliché. All the way. Everyone surviving everything, too little good cars, too much gunfights, too many "star" actors (plus Ronda). Stupid dialogues, subpar music, flying car, ridiculous 1v1 handfights with dual wielding wrenches, minigun commando Rock, manual hacking of radio tower, flying car again,.. you must be shitting me. If it was at least interesting... but even the plot was such shit. Then Vin Diesel giving some great speech and that was the point where I almost shitted myself..
The only part that could give me feels (a little bit) was at the very end - the tribute to Paul Walker. But that has almost nothing to do with the movie...
This has metascore of 67, while 2F2F, which I find the best from the franchise has metascore 38. Tokyo drift is at 46. What the hell. How can this bullshit have 67 metascore and 7.3 stars on IMDb.

Coraline (2009) - 7/10
I enjoyed it. It is not one of the "Burton" creepy movies, but the "Gaiman" creepy ones, which is drastically better. Uncomplicated plot, not too much characters, good animation, nice storytelling and decent message. Yeah, a bit creepy, but I was interested since the beginning till the end. Good voice acting too. Some things were a bit oversimplified imo, but overall it left a good feeling.

Fury (2014) - 5/10; (6/10 at best)
It was pretty big hype around this movie, but I didn't find it that heartbreaking like other wartime movies I have seen. Ryan, Saints and soldiers, Enemy at the gates, We were soldiers, ... all those are way better movies than this one.
Not that acting was terrible, or costumes, or sets, or anything... but some parts seemed so unrealistic for me; plot was basically predictable, unsurprising and, in fact, uninteresting.
It's not a bad war movie in itself, but I have seen much better ones so far.

Fair Play (2014) - 7/10
Yet another Czechoslovak movie greatly influenced by communism, which peeks back at the times when everyhthing was under the control of our commarades. In this case, a 200m runner who was ordered to be doped for the Olympics in America.
Pretty OK movie in general, but the theme of communism in our national art movies is like whining for getting an award, because older people (40+) still remember and give a shit. I do, too, but hey, I don't want every second domestic film be about living under communist aparatus...
Judit is good actress, too bad she doesn't voice act in Czech/Slovak and has to be dubbed.
The movie was able to suck you into the atmosphere so I felt with the characters, which I value. Simple camera, long shots.. typical art film.
The thing that I hated a bit was the training parts, where it felt strange.. you know that feeling when an actress is trying to portray a top sportswoman, and fails, because her movements do not seem perfect or professional. You just could tell that the actress is no runner at all. Too sad.
Last edited by Tigro on 11 May 2016, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Bad Neighbours 2 - 4/10
Contact - 6/10
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Watched Warcraft. I had good fun with it but at the same time I was quite disappointed. It just... doesn't feel "big time". I can't see it as something epic\legendary, it's more like a mindless fantasy flick. Which is not what I was expecting. IMO it should have been wonderful and imaginative like The Lord of the Rings movies for example, but it's just too simple, I guess mainly because the world isn't developed at all. You get a few mildly curious moments like the way that orc girl reacts to what humans say or the use of the "turn creature into a sheep" spell. But overall you don't really get to see what humans, orcs and other races are like, how their societies are structured, almost nothing is said about their cultures, about the role of magic in everyday life and so on. So it's like there is nothing to capture your imagination, to make you go like "wooow, this world is so interesting, I wish I could live in it too!" (which was my reaction to the Harry Potter books for example).

Dunno, there is enough good stuff to enjoy it (I liked the orc girl, Medivh, orcs looked quite badass, the king's plan at the end was cool and properly dramatic) but I feel like it could have been sooooo much better.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

The Boy: 6/10
Pretty enjoyable to some degree as far as a horror movie goes, one of the better ones even if the story is semi-retarded and the reactions are quite dumb. Has some nice twists and gaks and was entertaining most of the way through so pretty okenise.

Tim's Vermeer: 7/10
This was great and enjoyable, nothing amazing but just had a nice feel to it and it was interesting following everything. Plot makes it seem like something totally different and it's worth checking out.

Fursonas: 5/10
Sort of biased and narrow view documentary wise, though actually in favor of furries themselves in some way even if it's a bit critical about some people in the community. Just felt a bit unfinished in the end. I guess it was an interesting subject matter with some weird people so entertaining for a bit if nothing else.

Zootopia: 5/10
This was such a fucking letdown, even going in without much expectations. Only knew it had been given high ratings and was popular. Completely unimaginative and stereotypical, without actually being very funny or cute or anything at all. Just mindless drivel. 5 maybe a bit too high for this even but oke.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi: 6/10
Well for a Michael Bay movie... not horrible. Nothing amazing here either, but at least it was interesting and had some tense moments and entertaining action and scenes. Rather weird casting and stuff but worked to some degree I guess. oke if bored enough one day, and for a mindless action movie it's alright
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

10 Cloverfield Lane: 6/10
Kinda non-spectacular, but it kept my attention through the movie to some degree, so it wasn't horrible I guess. Got a bit ultra-retarded in the end, but well oke...
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) - 5,5 / 10
I can't really say if it is 5 or 6, because it indeed is kinda mediocre in many ways, although it had some mega "aww" and "woah" and "hell yeah" moments. The way some scenes were made (Quicksilver for example), were just spectacular and I enjoyed it. The plot itself was as flat as you can imagine, but it was weighted out by the amount of different mutants presented, as well as showing something 'more' from their lives and background. Therefore I guess 5-6 is the score. (Also, JL didn't act on par I think, but Sophie Turner was pretty decent.)
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Midnight Special: 4/10
Watafak... overrated bore mov with no point to it. Was waiting for some story or idea or something but never happened. duno not horrible but duno if even oke...

edit: also;

Helly, My Name is Doris: 6/10
Was pretty cute and funny and just easy going. Something to watch if bored enough only I guess, but I enjoyed it anyway.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Now you see me 2 - enjoyed it quite a lot. I actually haven't seen the first movie yet, now I definitely will. I can't explain it too well, but somehow it feels like a legit "cool" movie, like you know in the 90's we had cool movies like Mission Impossible that everyone enjoyed... This feels similar in some way. I'm glad that this cinematic style is still alive.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Book of Eli - 8/10
After failing to agree on what movie to watch at home we started Netflix and kinda chose a movie in frustration and it ended up being a rather good one. I liked the general feel to it, the atmosphere, the angles, the cinematography. The plot is quite cool too :p Couldn't decide whether to put a 7 or an 8 but it has been a while since the last time I saw a good movie at home, it felt refreshing so I gave an 8!
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Where to invade next - very cool, I've always liked Michael Moore movies and once again he didn't disappoint. I'm sure it's very biased and shit, but it still has fantastic delivery, the overall message is nice, and I really like the idea of going around the world and seeing how different countries solve their problems in different ways, kind of helps you understand that the world is much more varied than it might seem. Some interviews and other moments were really touching and overall it made me love humans a bit more or something.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Eye in the Sky: 6/10
Was decent time waster, not very good, but ended up watching all of it at least. Plot pretty retarded and felt overly forced and fake though.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: 6/10
Was pretty funny and entertaining, but lacked some story to it. Things sort of ended up nowhere and seemed like writers ran out of ideas for what to do with it or something. Tina Fey doe so auto worth watching either way.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2: 3/10
Barely better than part 1, and more horror than first two movies, which were already some 4/10. I would advise to not start this series at all, but as I did the mistake of doing so I had to see all the parts just because. Usual terrible writing, stupid characters, events and everything, nothing new here. Still melodramatic conveyor belt movie that makes you want to barf.

The VVitch: A New-England Folktale: 4/10
This was a very big disappointment, went into this expecting a not-so-bad horror movie, instead got some silly family drama with a very small hint of horror without actually being a horror movie at all. Stupid people, idiot events, predictable and boring. Nothing about this worth watching.

Kung Fu Panda 3: 5/10
Pretty expected stuff here, so can't really complain. A little worse than the previous two movies, but still caught myself laughing at some idiot jokes still. Just extremely average and nothing out of the ordinary here.