Work

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Work

Post by Mawane »

Thought would be nice to share a part of life that usually stays hidden when you're away after work.
  1. Are you working, if so where?
  2. Does it imply new appartment or something?
  3. What is that company main goal?
  4. How is the system working there?
  5. What is your position into that company (job)?
  6. What are your tasks?
  7. How is the people at work?
  8. Is it permanent, seasonal or temporary job?
  9. What is your schedule?
  10. What is your salary?
  11. Does it satisfy you?
  12. Do you like your job?
  13. What are your plan in the futur about it?
  14. Tell us everything.
About 2 months ago, I applied for a stage related to my studies: Laboratory technician in chemistry. The company is Agnico-Eagle and is main goal is to produce gold, copper and zinc. Here is a video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtaUsT1Ib_0 (I am working in the bottom left building in the video at 1:00)

I firstly rented a room in a city near the job. I brought everything in the car. It took me about 12h to arrive to destination. The 2 first days to Agnico-Eagle were formation, every basic things to know about system: health, security, padlock system, the important people to know, history of company, giving the clothes, boots and stuff, etc. The following next 2 days were cleaning the whole field: removing all the crap on the floor like plastics, wood, metals, cigarettes, etc. Imagine ~50 students doing it, that was very efficient!

I start my main job tomorrow. So my tasks are to analyse various metals in the extracted ore by various techniques like x-ray and many more, but haven't tried yet. We're gonna be about 20 people in the team working on various analysis. My schedule is mon-fri 8-16, but there are other schedules too for some people. I'll get 15$ CAN /h, but i wished to get ~20, I guess it will increase if it turns permanent job because it is only a stage. Pretty sure i'm gonna love my job!

And about the future, I'd like to stay there until at least 2024 (yeye, you gonna tell me that i've always told the end is in 2012) and then, they might ship me in another building but same company. They just extremely rarely fire their employees, its their philosophy.

What did you think about my story? And what is yours?
Last edited by Mawane on 31 May 2010, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Igge
38mins club

Re: Work

Post by Igge »

They just extremely fire their employees, its their philosophy.
I didn't just get fired... I got extremely fired!

Ont: Mawane is proud of getting a job. Congratulations.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I like how you even the day before work can say you plan to stay there until at least 2024. Sounds like you're excited and like that kind of work is interesting to you, but ez wait til you at least have started :)

Yes, SF Bio

No, I live in the same apartment as I did before I got this job. Uni and work are both in Luleå.

To present to the customers the greatest cinematic experience possible.

Every day there are one projectionist and two-three guys working at the ticket/candy counters. We have one boss locally but we all work for the SF group which operates nationwide and in some extent Norway and Finland (I think) too.

Projectionist

6. What are your tasks?
    Mainly loading projectors prior to shows. There are 6 auditoriums so there are 6 projectors to load. On a normal shift there are 12 shows on weekdays and 18 or such on weekends. After loading I go down to the gates to rip tickets and welcome the customers, point them to the right auditorium and so on. After all movies have started I go up to the machine room and make sure the movie is looking good and that the 35mm is running as it should through the projector (film quite scratch-sensitive). Sometimes I have to take apart movies to send them to another theatre or put together new movies which just arrived. We recently installed digital 2D/3D projector but I haven't worked with it yet.

The best, seriously. Usually in social groups there are people who you more or less dislike. No such thing here. Great team.

Unfortunately only extra. During summer it gets more intense though, full-timers going on vacation.

17.00 - 00.00 roughly on weekdays. 12.00 - 00.00 on weekends.

10. What is your salary?
    It's ok

11. Does it satisfy you?
    The salary or the job? Both

Love it. I get to work around a hobby of mine. Only astronaut or commercial pilot can beat it (ok, maybe a few more).

Work as much as possible. Prolly going to quit around christmas because I'll move from Luleå. But most likely I'll come back to Luleå later in my education so I might get work back too if I want. If I haven't gotten some more career building job in Kiruna (swedish space center) that is.

14. Tell us everything.
    I think I just did :)
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

- I wish.

Congratulations, Mawane. Hoppas it's as nice as you anticipate. :)
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

John wrote:After loading I go down to the gates to rip tickets and welcome the customers, point them to the right auditorium and so on.
oo, I thought you were the behind-the-scenes guy at work. Ez should go there in smyg and say "kul att du är aktiv på lauta i alla fall" and then go to the right auditorium. :P
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

nice job, John!

Documentary Film Production (and various other things, I'm a freelancer)
Nope.
Interesting question. I would say to spread and inform people about culture and personal life of people and countries, in an artistic way.
My Boss tells me what to do. I make suggestions what else I could do or how to improve things for him.
Maybe "Personal Assistant"? Or "Production Assistant"
6. What are your tasks?
Submit a feature film to festivals world-wide, manage all the festival stuff, edit footage, make subtitles, translate things, burn & print DVDs, various things when we are on a shoot like camera and lighting.
It's only my boss and me, I work at his home. We get along very well. There are some other people working for him but I rarely see any of them.
Permanent until ???
Two days a week, usually 10-18 - very relaxed. Some exceptions though (I just came back from a three week shoot in Morocco)
10. What is your salary?
Compared to my friends who also finished their study not long ago I earn very much. Compared to a normal job it is below average, but I was always aware of that you can't get rich in "film-biz".
11. Does it satisfy you?
Usually.
Usually. There are bad days of corse.
I hope to go to Morocco again this year, otherwise I want to continue at least until next year, when the project we are working on at the moment is more or less done. I dunno what my boss thinks though, but he keeps paying me since September 2009 so I guess I'm not a total idiot.
14. Tell us everything.
I learn a lot about documentary film making and all things that go along with that. Although my personal focus lies on fiction films, I really appreciate this great chance. This was very cool to actually THINK about what I am doing there. Thanks Mawa, you made my life more conscious.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Igge wrote:
They just extremely fire their employees, its their philosophy.
I didn't just get fired... I got extremely fired!

Ont: Mawane is proud of getting a job. Congratulations.
I meant they very rarely kick employees, didnt know how to say. And thanks, I'm glad you all liked :)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I am going to be a music therapist one day, youll see.
God Bless America
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

You should be happy about the salary, I started my practical training yesterday and they pay me 1,56€/hour =)
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Nice story Mawane!

Today was my second day in University of Jyväskylä's nanoscience center as a trainee =)

No.

Me and my instructor should learn to cover silicon chips with a layer of aerogel with thickness of only some nanometers or micrometers. Aerogels are the least dense existing materials (because they are mostly air) and therefore they are also excellent thermal insulators. And some researchers need good insulation for their low-temperature nanoelectronics stuff.

We can do pretty freely everything we want there and just try to manage to achieve some progress and try to be there some 8h/day. But so far it seems to be not so strict - actually my whole week seems to be over already since my instructor haven't been studying to some exam enough so he will skip tomorrow to study and overtomorrow to do the exam. And I will stay home too then because I can't do much yet without my instructor. But after I have learnt to use some machines myself I guess I pretty much must really start going to there 8AM every day etc.

I'm a trainee.

6. What are your tasks?
So far it has been some playing with chemicals and using the cleanroom laboratory. Using the cleanroom laboratory isn't that nice because you'll have to use an uncomfortable cleanroom suit and be very very careful but on the other hand all the coolest machines are placed there.

I don't know much yet but I guess they are ok. I'm the only student working with the aerogel project there so I mostly just do stuff with the instructor guy.

I'll be doing this for two months as a summer training.

9. What is your salary?
It's not really big but this is also useful for my studies and I get some studyings points from this too. But this isn't anything compulsory.

10. Does it satisfy you?
Yeah since this the biggest salary I have had. I have previously only worked on my parents's farm though and they have been paying only very little.

11. Do you like your job?
Yeah it's interesting, I've been thinking all kind of job things on my freetime now too.

12. What are your plan in the futur about it?
Well I think I'll become a scientist so it will be something like this =)

13. Tell us everything.
In aerogel making you'll first make a mix from chemical ingredients which should react and form a fabric-like solid nanostructure with lots of liquid inside. It's like wet jelly at this point.
But there are impurities in the liquid and the next thing is to remove them by letting some pure liquid to diffuse inbetween slowly. Then they must be dryed which is the fun part. If you dry them normally all the surface tension forces would destroy all the nanofibers and the gel would shrink to some sucks form. But you can avoid the surface tension forces by using supercritical drying. There you put the gel and some liquid to the supercritical dryer and with great pressures and temperatures you go around the critical point of the liquid in the phase diagram and with this trick the liquid becomes gas without any surface tension forces. Then you can just let all the gas away from the dryer and you'll have gas inside your gel which should be ready now.

We practiced the procedure by making only some nab recipe (that should give not-so-light aerogel as a result, but do that easily). We tried to cover some chips with it and also make some macroscopic (a cubic centimeter or two) samples. The macroscopic samples are still in the diffusion stage because it takes so long for them, but the chips have been dryed already. We didn't have time to check the results with the electronic microscope yet so it will go to the Monday. Let's see then if we managed anything. xd I'm a bit worried that the long wait might let them suck some moist from air and make them jelly again (we use only a nab recipe that doesn't give hydrofobic aerogels) but they should be at the vacuum space atm so should be no problem.

If we manage this first experiment well we'll try some other recipes that should give much lighter (better isolators) and also hydrophobic aerogels.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

fucking super interesting nom!!! inspired me to read a lot at wiki about that supercritical drying and stuff, reaaaly cool :>
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

14. Were you late for work the first day?
yes
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

nice pawq

prkl roope
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

i dont have a job but i do a lot actually
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I just finished my job as a sausage packer. It was ok once I got to know the people I worked with. Was actually quite sad to leave them.

Now this monday I start working as a gardener in the swedish city of Kungsbacka. Perfect job to have in the summer!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

my first job was gardener or something like that for 3 weeks ^^ obviously it rained for about 10 of the 15 days, however yes it is fun to work outside in the summer
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

niN wrote:Now this monday I start working as a gardener in the swedish city of Kungsbacka. Perfect job to have in the summer!
I just have to share this. Two days ago I posted on a spam thread called (741 ambien side effect):
LousQ wrote:Number synchronization; I'm taking bus number 741 tomorrow (or actually today). o,o </spam>
Although I intended to take that bus, I didn't. But here's the reason I'm posting now: That bus was a bus to Kuninkaanmäki, which in Swedish is "Kungsbacka" (every place's name has a translated Swedish name here). OMGOMGOMG 8O

On topic: Good luck, niN! :D
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

niN wrote:I just finished my job as a sausage packer. It was ok once I got to know the people I worked with. Was actually quite sad to leave them.

Now this monday I start working as a gardener in the swedish city of Kungsbacka. Perfect job to have in the summer!
Imagine your stekar-tan after a few weeks. Btw, why did you change your job? The other one was only temporary?
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

yeah :D my gaddame schteekäär tän :D

Yeah, I got this gardener job first, and I promised the guy I would do it. But I needed a job until that gardener thing started, so I applied for that sausage job. I got it. They wanted me to stay throughout the summer, but as I said: I had promised the guy I would do the gardener job. So I quit the job and now shall do the gardener job!
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

2. I have started my own company. I work on the internet, currently from Thailand.
  3. Does it imply new appartment or something?
  4. I got a new apartment when I started the business, but then I lost it... moved to Thailand and looking for new apartment 8)
  5. What is that company main goal?
  6. To supply me with money.
  7. How is the system working there?
  8. Somebody contacts me for a job. I give them an estimation for how long time it will take and how much it will cost. Then I can work at my convenience.
  9. What is your position into that company (job)?
  10. Manager, accountant and computer consultant.
  11. What are your tasks?
  12. To create and upgrade websites and their CMS, to teach people how to update their websites, and to keep track of all the incoming and outgoing money. Also, sometimes, to represent my business and do some marketing for it.
  13. How is the people at work?
  14. Incredibly appreciative and respectful.
  15. Is it permanent, seasonal or temporary job?
  16. It's a freelancing job.
  17. What is your schedule?
  18. Do it anywhere and any time I want.
  19. What is your salary?
  20. It varies a bit, but the least I take is 25€ per hour after all taxes and fees.
  21. Does it satisfy you?
  22. Yes.
  23. Do you like your job?
  24. Yes.
  25. What are your plan in the futur about it?
  26. To make a living off of it. I have some plans to cooperate with others too and making bigger projects. It's very open and there are a lot of opportunities. Other than websites I can make movies, software, music, voice acting, to name a few. I'm not sure in which field I will proceed, as many times jobs come unexpectedly. I also wish to meet talented people and produce works with them (movies, arts, books...).
  27. Tell us everything.
    Actually have another job starting. To be a yoga instructor. I've had this job before and I do it again because I like to. And uhnm... I guess it's enough writing for this time.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

ribot make a moped game based on real physics model :)
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Zweq, it's been raining every day so far...
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Guess who's got the "Twilight movie night"-shift ;x All three movies in a row in our largest auditorium with the last movie having a starting time at around midnight I think. Doesn't bother me what movies it is, it's just that it's gonna be max annoying to keep all minors out and to organize the pause-food for all (prolly not my task tho).

Spent 6½hrs cleaning projectors today. First time I've done a thorough cleaning like that.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Are you working, if so where?
Yes, in Lilla Edet municipaltiy's forest team.
Does it imply new appartment or something?
Nope.
What is your position into that company (job)?
Normal member of the team.
What are your tasks?
My main tool so far:
How is the people at work?
Nice.
Is it permanent, seasonal or temporary job?
For the rest of the year, at least.
What is your schedule?
07-16 on monday-thursday, 07-14 on fridays
What is your salary?
Average.
Does it satisfy you?
Yes.
Do you like your job?
So far.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Had Twilight Movie Night tonight. Alongside the ordinary schedule in our other 5 auditoriums we showed all three Twilight movies in a row in our largest one. It was almost fully booked, minus some seats which had been booked by minors who didn't get in >:D We gave away Eclipse bags, pins, soundtracks and other stuff. During the evening we gave them Coca Cola + popcorn and later mineral water and sandwiches from Subway. Very appreciated, and my boss got roaring applause. In the middle of New Moon we had lightning take out our power so the projector stopped, but there was no damage to the film or projector so I just had to push a button for manual restart, ez. Other than all that, it was a normal day, just logged out about 1½h later than normal. Breakfast for tomorrow is two sandwiches and mineral water :) Have to show up earlier tomorrow due to mad booking even though we show Eclipse in the two largest auditoriums at once. Twilight Movie Night had 15 year limit, tomorrow the limit is just 11. Enough.
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

what do you mean with age limit? why would people over 16 be forbiden to watch movie? and why giving free stuff? to get them to come back more often, to be appreciated, to buy them with that kind of advertisement? :D just wondering, makes me happy to know you love your job :)
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Mawane wrote:what do you mean with age limit? why would people over 16 be forbiden to watch movie? and why giving free stuff? to get them to come back more often, to be appreciated, to buy them with that kind of advertisement? :D just wondering, makes me happy to know you love your job :)
Of course the age limit is the other way around. You can't be under the limit and see the movie. Don't know why the special event tonight had 15 year limit. It must be because of the quite massive event with a hot auditorium (drink!), lot of people, long time in late evening. Or maybe it's just a matter of maturity for 6 hrs.

Giving away free stuff we did just because it was such a special event. The event was actually held nationwide and all theatres did the same thing. Also, we wanted to reward them I guess, and make this night something special and make them feel their money was well spent. Cinema isn't just the movie, it's also an experience :)

Thank you, I love it indeed!
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

A girl fainted in the lobby today. I noticed she bumped into another girl and that she had trouble keeping balance but I thought it might've been some minor CP ;s and didn't want to be rude and ask if she was ok. But when she leaned against the wall and her head tipped over followed by her whole body hitting floor I realised it wasn't, a bit too late perhaps ;x Looked like she was almost epileptic so I asked her friend if she knew, she didn't. Then we helped her over to a bench and I went for a glass of water. Then back to ripping tickets. I think it was just the heat because she went into Eclipse without any problems 10 minutes later.
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Here's more about my job, did three places yet and there are many more coming.

1st week: that is the Preparation room 1.
At the beginning of the day, samples of ore are delivered in that room. Each is in an individual plastic bag of ~5-15kg with its number of sample. Samples maybe be big chunks of 1 dm of diameter and/or small gravel mixed with sand and dust of ore. They can be muck or not, anyway, they are all put in baking pans in the oven at 110°C to remove humidity and water if muddy.

Once it's dry, we start to crush samples in this machine to reduce the size, then we take a certain weight of sample, so we must select the good bowls (5%, 10%, 15%, etc). Then we make powder with the ore by spraying it with heavy rings that will crush the small gravel with their weight and spinning in a machine. Those are steps to homogenize the samples, which is a very important step to get a representative result when analyzing.

2nd week: Preparation room 2.
Pretty similar, but this one is mainly for bigger samples because it requires more sample when ore is less homogeneous. (You know, the goal of analyzing samples is to get concentration of elements in an area. We usually always want the mean, so we take samples in various places of the area. If we sample only one place, it might not be representative, unless you're lucky.) 1st steps are the same, the changing things are that after the crusher, there is a roll crusher like this: -> 8 -> . 2nd thing changed is the sprayer, since sample is bigger, bowls are bigger. In room 1, bowls were like 10kg but in room 2, they must be like 18kg, so this is why we use a suspended machine to move bowls

3rd to 5th week: Wetlab.
This room is called like that because we make solutions there and the sinks are there. There are many kinds of samples entering there. Let's start with the sprayed ore samples. We weigh them in numbered tubes. (It is very important to avoid mixing sample names and/or numbers obviously.) We add controls (concentration already known, so we can know when analyzing if it's wrong or not) and blank (no sample, just the matrix in what other samples are immersed. so if blank has a concentration of wanted element, it gonna be removed on samples). Then, we add nitric acid to turn sample in solution instead of solid, we add bromide to remove sulfurs (they turn to gas), we add chlorhydric acid to help dissolution and then we put tubes in a digester (it heats tubes to 110°C). We complete to make 50mL, shake, dilute then they are ready to analyze Atomic absorption spectroscopy.

There are also gold/silver marbles (~2mm diameter). They come in glass test tubes and i attack them with nitric acid, then i put tubes in heated water bath (~95°C) for 10min. I make sure marbles are almost totally dissolved, I add chlorhydric acid and I put them again 10min in bath. Mix of those acids is called Aqua regia and is very corrosive. A precipitate of silver is formed, which is wanted to analyze only the gold in solution. Once it's cooled down, we complete to 10mL, shake them and it's ready to analyze by Atomic absorption spectroscopy once again.

Incoming samples can also be liquid. If there's no gold, and metals are dissolved, we can simply shake sample then, put into test tube and it's ready to analyze. Approximated concentration of gold will determinate the method to use:
  • >15g/ton: 10mL (or 5mL if solution's color is pretty dark) of sample is put in a powder mainly made of lead and silicon (let's call that Fondant, I'll explain what happens to this sample later in pyroanalysis)
  • 0,2-15g/ton: 20mL with same technical
  • <0,2g/ton: We put ~600mL of water (no need distilled water since sink's water doesn't contain gold), we add 50mL of chlorhydric acid and about 15mL of lead acetate. Now we put 200mL of liquid sample, we make a spike (any sample added with known gold quantity) and, like everywhere, a blank. Now we put beakers on hotplate with an aluminum rod to turn lead acetate (white) to lead (dark gray). Once no more acetate left, we remove liquid and make sure to avoid loosing the solid which is like a sponge. We make a ball with it with our fingers (ofc, we do wear gloves all the time). Then we put the ball in the Fondant
6th week to now: Pyro lab
The name says all: we put samples in furnace. But well, we do more that this. I past only one week in this section, so there are still many things i don't know or remember yet. In a first time, we put Fondant (couldn't find english word so here are links of definition: 1st and 2nd) in melting-pots and we weigh samples. Now it is the time to add extra stuff to play with the lead's weight. We add potassium nitrate (KNO3) or basic flour to (and I don't remember the following part) increase or decrease lead's weight. We stir the mixture and we cover with borax (sodium borate) samples with flour and we cover with soda (sodium carbonate). Once again, there are controls and blank.

Then we take sample board to bring in the furnace, which are ~1000°C. I wear the aluminum suit to avoid skin burns obviously and a tinted visor because light from furnace is pretty intense too. We enter four-by-four pots in the furnace with a capacity of about 24 pots, wait 50min then comes the HOT part: pouring melting-pots in diamond shaped molds. Lead goes in bottom because its heavier. (I'll try to get a picture of myself doing that) Seriously, I've never been so hot in my entire life! (and more, these days, it's so hot outside. Like 36°C everyday including humidity. So, just imagine in the furnace room, must be like 45°C and more...) It takes me like 15 long as hell minutes! And about 4min for used people... Well, I'll become faster with practice for sure. We wait a bit to let them cool down and now it's my favorite part: HAMMERTIME! :D I hit the samples with a hammer to separate the lead in the bottom (containing silver and gold) and the glass over. Then with pliers, I hit the lead to make a badly shaped cube. Afterward, I put each lead cube in crucibles into the furnace. Lead is absorbed so only silver and gold left, a small marble is made, then it is hammered and gone to the Wetlab.

That's all for now, more coming when I'll try other sectors :)
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Mawane wrote:Here's more about my job, did three places yet and there are many more coming.

1st week: that is the Preparation room 1.
At the beginning of the day, samples of ore are delivered in that room. Each is in an individual plastic bag of ~5-15kg with its number of sample. Samples maybe be big chunks of 1 dm of diameter and/or small gravel mixed with sand and dust of ore. They can be muck or not, anyway, they are all put in baking pans in the oven at 110°C to remove humidity and water if muddy.

Once it's dry, we start to crush samples in this machine to reduce the size, then we take a certain weight of sample, so we must select the good bowls (5%, 10%, 15%, etc). Then we make powder with the ore by spraying it with heavy rings that will crush the small gravel with their weight and spinning in a machine. Those are steps to homogenize the samples, which is a very important step to get a representative result when analyzing.

2nd week: Preparation room 2.
Pretty similar, but this one is mainly for bigger samples because it requires more sample when ore is less homogeneous. (You know, the goal of analyzing samples is to get concentration of elements in an area. We usually always want the mean, so we take samples in various places of the area. If we sample only one place, it might not be representative, unless you're lucky.) 1st steps are the same, the changing things are that after the crusher, there is a roll crusher like this: -> 8 -> . 2nd thing changed is the sprayer, since sample is bigger, bowls are bigger. In room 1, bowls were like 10kg but in room 2, they must be like 18kg, so this is why we use a suspended machine to move bowls

3rd to 5th week: Wetlab.
This room is called like that because we make solutions there and the sinks are there. There are many kinds of samples entering there. Let's start with the sprayed ore samples. We weigh them in numbered tubes. (It is very important to avoid mixing sample names and/or numbers obviously.) We add controls (concentration already known, so we can know when analyzing if it's wrong or not) and blank (no sample, just the matrix in what other samples are immersed. so if blank has a concentration of wanted element, it gonna be removed on samples). Then, we add nitric acid to turn sample in solution instead of solid, we add bromide to remove sulfurs (they turn to gas), we add chlorhydric acid to help dissolution and then we put tubes in a digester (it heats tubes to 110°C). We complete to make 50mL, shake, dilute then they are ready to analyze Atomic absorption spectroscopy.

There are also gold/silver marbles (~2mm diameter). They come in glass test tubes and i attack them with nitric acid, then i put tubes in heated water bath (~95°C) for 10min. I make sure marbles are almost totally dissolved, I add chlorhydric acid and I put them again 10min in bath. Mix of those acids is called Aqua regia and is very corrosive. A precipitate of silver is formed, which is wanted to analyze only the gold in solution. Once it's cooled down, we complete to 10mL, shake them and it's ready to analyze by Atomic absorption spectroscopy once again.

Incoming samples can also be liquid. If there's no gold, and metals are dissolved, we can simply shake sample then, put into test tube and it's ready to analyze. Approximated concentration of gold will determinate the method to use:
  • >15g/ton: 10mL (or 5mL if solution's color is pretty dark) of sample is put in a powder mainly made of lead and silicon (let's call that Fondant, I'll explain what happens to this sample later in pyroanalysis)
  • 0,2-15g/ton: 20mL with same technical
  • <0,2g/ton: We put ~600mL of water (no need distilled water since sink's water doesn't contain gold), we add 50mL of chlorhydric acid and about 15mL of lead acetate. Now we put 200mL of liquid sample, we make a spike (any sample added with known gold quantity) and, like everywhere, a blank. Now we put beakers on hotplate with an aluminum rod to turn lead acetate (white) to lead (dark gray). Once no more acetate left, we remove liquid and make sure to avoid loosing the solid which is like a sponge. We make a ball with it with our fingers (ofc, we do wear gloves all the time). Then we put the ball in the Fondant
6th week to now: Pyro lab
The name says all: we put samples in furnace. But well, we do more that this. I past only one week in this section, so there are still many things i don't know or remember yet. In a first time, we put Fondant (couldn't find english word so here are links of definition: 1st and 2nd) in melting-pots and we weigh samples. Now it is the time to add extra stuff to play with the lead's weight. We add potassium nitrate (KNO3) or basic flour to (and I don't remember the following part) increase or decrease lead's weight. We stir the mixture and we cover with borax (sodium borate) samples with flour and we cover with soda (sodium carbonate). Once again, there are controls and blank.

Then we take sample board to bring in the furnace, which are ~1000°C. I wear the aluminum suit to avoid skin burns obviously and a tinted visor because light from furnace is pretty intense too. We enter four-by-four pots in the furnace with a capacity of about 24 pots, wait 50min then comes the HOT part: pouring melting-pots in diamond shaped molds. Lead goes in bottom because its heavier. (I'll try to get a picture of myself doing that) Seriously, I've never been so hot in my entire life! (and more, these days, it's so hot outside. Like 36°C everyday including humidity. So, just imagine in the furnace room, must be like 45°C and more...) It takes me like 15 long as hell minutes! And about 4min for used people... Well, I'll become faster with practice for sure. We wait a bit to let them cool down and now it's my favorite part: HAMMERTIME! :D I hit the samples with a hammer to separate the lead in the bottom (containing silver and gold) and the glass over. Then with pliers, I hit the lead to make a badly shaped cube. Afterward, I put each lead cube in crucibles into the furnace. Lead is absorbed so only silver and gold left, a small marble is made, then it is hammered and gone to the Wetlab.

That's all for now, more coming when I'll try other sectors :)

with your look i wouldn't look for any social interest, either
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
infected
Kuski

Post by infected »

niN wrote:I just finished my job as a sausage packer. It was ok once I got to know the people I worked with. Was actually quite sad to leave them.

sweet! i live in Lindome and wörk in Kba aswell! were in kungsbacka are you spending your days?
geomatric hallucinations
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

infected wrote:

sweet! i live in Lindome and wörk in Kba aswell! were in kungsbacka are you spending your days?
Nice! All around mate, Me and my friend drive around in a car and cut grass all over kungsbacka. Our 'headquarter' is located pretty close to the city, the place is called Hammerö I think. And we're quite often at a place called Fjärås, that's where we have lunch.

What about you?
infected
Kuski

Post by infected »

Fjärås is quite known for inavel och raggare, to bad you have to spend your days there!
atm i work at Hemköp in the middle of Kungsbacka
geomatric hallucinations
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

infected wrote:Fjärås is quite known for inavel och raggare, to bad you have to spend your days there!
atm i work at Hemköp in the middle of Kungsbacka
What are your working hours? I can easily come visit you when you are working there.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Last few days has been somewhat coal at work.

This thursday we had a gala premiere of a new swedish movie called Bröderna Karlsson (The Karlsson Brothers). The director came to watch along with the leading actor in the movie. The director has roots up here and parts of the movie are shot around Luleå hence the place of the premiere. Invited people were local celebrities (not that many :p ) and extras from the movie. We had a red carpet and such.

We also started showing Inception this week and after having a reviewer over who gave the movie good reviews (4/5 quite original etc) we've had quite a nice weekend so far. Actually we are running one copy of the movie in two auditoriums at the same time at 21.15 every night just because the pressure is so insane (both are almost sold out still). Out from a platter on projector 4 and in on a platter on projector 5. There is a ~30 second delay from one auditorium to the next so if you have a favorite scene you can watch it twice. For example I've seen the ending shot several times now, love it :)

I've also seen this in 3D several times by now. I remember BoneLESS looking forward to it in the "Upcoming movies" thread and I must say I do too.
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

red carpet :o
nice john
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

I work from 5:30 to 13:30 in a gas station. Awful. :cry:
:mrhat:
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

better than nothing ;)
i was going to work in a cinema too this holidays, unfortunately my visit to a hospital spoiled all my plans :( maybe next year :)

John:
in Legend of the Guardians, the animation seems to be brilliant, but isn't it like a 10y old children movie? just askin
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

I work as an Idiot
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Pawq wrote:John:
in Legend of the Guardians, the animation seems to be brilliant, but isn't it like a 10y old children movie? just askin
Ye, it's a family movie. Those can be nice once in a while too. Looking forward to Toy Story 3 3D too.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

John wrote:Looking forward to Toy Story 3 3D
:O? here its in theaters for a long time :o
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Pawq wrote:
John wrote:Looking forward to Toy Story 3 3D
:O? here its in theaters for a long time :o
what? For real?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

lul, premiere here was on june 18th :s
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

My work has been over a week now. It was pretty nice - cooler than studying. I'll now do my bachelor's thesis from what I managed to do there. My achievements could have been much better than what they were though because there were many problems and many things went wrong. But I made several small pieces of aerogel like some hydrophobic ones here: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 8188_n.jpg
I tried to make much bigger ones too but they didn't become good.

Also I managed to cover some silica chips with a really thin aerogel layer (which was the main goal) and in some rough tests (a water droplet on a hot plate) they seemed to be much better insulators than chips without the aerogel layer. :)

One funny thing in there was that there was a special comp for elma with which many university staff people played. xd There were a big bunch megaold external levels from moposite and I played them pretty much in there. There really weren't any pro recs so all internal records were pretty poor but well-hoyled by many different players. I adviced one some 50-years-old laboratory engineer in Circuitous and he managed to improve the record with 20 seconds. xd I hope that if it's up to him I'll get a job next summer too.
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

thats max cool nom :D and weird too :mrgreen:
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

We are losing employees for different reasons (no one is fired) this fall so I just contacted my boss to see if I could be taught the post of Kassa/Godis in which all the quitters work. After more than 1 year of projectionist work I guess he knows I do put effort in my job so he replied right away by giving me 2-3 practise days in september. So from then on I can work both in the booth as well as behind the counter selling tickets and candy. Another advantage that I just realised is that there will be more opportunities where two projectionists are in the building at the same time (only one other projectionist frequently does Kassa/Godis atm). It can be quite damn hectic if something goes (really) wrong in the booth during some saturday night as we are only operating at one projectionist a day. Win-win teh...
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

nice john o/ so when we play teh lab pro :oops:
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Going to work in an hour to learn how to change 3000W projector lightbulb :) Only heard how to do, never seen how to do.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Cool day at work tonight. Been working 3 days in a row now, friday - sunday, at different posts every night. Today I got to work behind the counter with 2 of my best friends at work. They pushed me and supported me to go welcome the customers, something I've been reluctant to before. Somehow I felt more ready/safe today and after a few minutes of preparation I thought "fukk it, lets just do it". I went into our largest auditorium, jumped up on the stage and said welcome and a few words about the length of the movie, where the toilets are, the code to the toilets and that they shouldn't hesitate to talk to us if they experience something being wrong. Felt great afterwards, got high fives from co-workers and stuff :) 30 seconds later they called for me "John, come on, go to #5!" and I just ran into our second largest auditorium without hesitating and did the same shit again. Mental block is broken. Now I can practise more to perhaps remove all the fear I feel for such presentations and ace upcoming presentations in school.

Also for the last set of shows I had already finished my duties so I couldn't work behind the counter anymore. Instead I went upstairs and supported people at our new Biomat (terminal where u can buy or collect tickets) since the usage % of teh has been kinda low. I had no experience of using it myself but with some basic knowledge about the booking system I guided quite a few people through it.

Feel like I gained a few IRL XP today.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I don't work, but basically I have a 9 to 9 job with the chairman function of this study association, interspersed with classes and some random studying. Pros: meeting people, gaining experience in networking, creating efficiency in your life, because you have no spare time whatsoever. Cons: no money, no time to develop guitar skills. But I am cutting down on classes from the next half of the semester on, eventually not following any in the 3rd period.

And I already know work is gonna be a piece of cake when this year's done. 9 to 5 is for pussies.