Mopolauta

Elasto Mania board
It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 17:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Author Message
PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 15:42 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2010, 20:31
Posts: 1007
I'm Russian and I do it too. I think it's a cute way to express doubt about your own feelings. Like, "hmm, this seems kinda retarded... or maybe I'm just not looking at it the right way or something... not sure...".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 15:48 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 18:07
Posts: 688
Location: Oslo, Norway
Bludek wrote:
ofta wrote:
... it feels retarted?

... wich feels weird for me?

Why do you end regular sentences with question marks? Is it common in your native language (swe)?
I see it on interwebz from time to time and it looks ultra weird to me.


It probably means they are some form of questions or suggestions, expressing doubt or uncertainty. In speech you can do that by raising the pitch of your voice at the end of a sentence, but since you can't do that in writing a question mark will have to do.

_________________
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 15:59 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2015, 11:36
Posts: 132
Location: Hungary
Bludek wrote:
Why do you end regular sentences with question marks? Is it common in your native language (swe)?
I see it on interwebz from time to time and it looks ultra weird to me.

Some Hungarians do the opposite: period instead of question mark... and it can be extremely confusing in Hungarian: in most of the cases we have the same word order for both types of sentences, the only difference is the question mark at the end of sentence, anything else is completely the same :lol: For example: "You have already paid it." and "Have you already paid it?" looks identical :D

_________________
Elasto Mania videos by iCS | iCS.LGR


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 16:39 
Offline
38mins club
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009, 10:56
Posts: 1418
Location: Some pub in Prague
kuchitsu wrote:
I think it's a cute way to express doubt about your own feelings

Hm, to me it feels like that the writer cannot use proper grammar. But I know what you mean, fellas.

It is kinda the same level of weirdness like using too many "..." in the paragraph. Especially in responses to other people in public chat. It is the visual representation of "thinking while speaking" and "hm" and "erm" and alike. You know, like:
Code:
I get your point... But you know... I had a tought childhood...
If you'd know my mom... But I don't really blame you. But man.....
The next stuff is that you know like nothing... bla bla bla...
These people even use "...." and "....." and "......"!! (maybe in cases, when "..." would be appropriate for others). sik

btw I am too good at making off-topics :roll: :roll:

_________________
http://elmaonline.net/players/Bludek
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 19:12 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 18:07
Posts: 688
Location: Oslo, Norway
Bludek wrote:
kuchitsu wrote:
I think it's a cute way to express doubt about your own feelings

Hm, to me it feels like that the writer cannot use proper grammar. But I know what you mean, fellas.

It is kinda the same level of weirdness like using too many "..." in the paragraph. Especially in responses to other people in public chat. It is the visual representation of "thinking while speaking" and "hm" and "erm" and alike. You know, like:
Code:
I get your point... But you know... I had a tought childhood...
If you'd know my mom... But I don't really blame you. But man.....
The next stuff is that you know like nothing... bla bla bla...
These people even use "...." and "....." and "......"!! (maybe in cases, when "..." would be appropriate for others). sik

btw I am too good at making off-topics :roll: :roll:


I don't know if I agree? I'd argue that you could put a question mark after any sentece without making it grammatically incorrect?

_________________
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 21:41 
Offline
Kuski

Joined: 5 Dec 2013, 19:46
Posts: 55
bludek: i'm not sure why you are asking this really. kuchi had the right answer, except for the "cute" part. but yes, it is common in swedish, mostly a rhetorical thing. also, my english sucks, so you are very right about that random question marks also can be viewed as a sign of my bad grammar :) but mostly as a way of communication


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 06:10 
Offline
35mins club
User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2002, 15:54
Posts: 3693
Location: suo mesta
you're mom is bad grammar

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 13:02 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2007, 08:47
Posts: 910
Of course question marks are still gramatically correct at the end of anything? It is an easy way to say what you think but make absolutely no commitment to it? I can never be wrong about what I say? Because after all it was just a question? I can say obscenely mean things and get away with it? Fuck your mothers? I can express polarizing opinions and not worry about looking extremist? Praise Allah? Elma 2 should have new internals? I can plant little seeds of ideas into all of your subconscious minds without putting judgement upon myself???? This is amazing, I feel invincible, I will post everything like this from now on?

_________________
God Bless America


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 14:49 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 18:07
Posts: 688
Location: Oslo, Norway
gimp wrote:
Of course question marks are still gramatically correct at the end of anything? It is an easy way to say what you think but make absolutely no commitment to it? I can never be wrong about what I say? Because after all it was just a question? I can say obscenely mean things and get away with it? Fuck your mothers? I can express polarizing opinions and not worry about looking extremist? Praise Allah? Elma 2 should have new internals? I can plant little seeds of ideas into all of your subconscious minds without putting judgement upon myself???? This is amazing, I feel invincible, I will post everything like this from now on?


Beware that it can often change the meaning of the sentence, sometimes even completely reversing it?

Also, what's extremist about saying "praise Allah?" By the same token, is saying "bless you" after someone sneezes also extremist?

_________________
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 20:34 
Offline
Kuski

Joined: 5 Dec 2013, 19:46
Posts: 55
wtf is this. i just wrote a random post about dark souls and now everything is just very un-norm. i didn't ask for this, guys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 21:34 
Offline
35mins club
User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2009, 10:51
Posts: 2070
Location: London, UK
Bludek wrote:
kuchitsu wrote:
I think it's a cute way to express doubt about your own feelings

Hm, to me it feels like ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ the writer cannot use proper grammar. But I know what you mean, fellas.

It is kinda the same level of weirdness ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ as using too many "..." in ̶t̶h̶e̶ a paragraph. Especially in responses to other people in public chat. It is the visual representation of "thinking while speaking" and "hm" and "erm" and ̶a̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ so on. You know, like:
Code:
I get your point... But you know... I had a tought childhood...
If you'd know my mom... But I don't really blame you. But man.....
The next stuff is that you know like nothing... bla bla bla...
These people even use "...." and "....." and "......"!! (maybe in cases ̶,̶ when "..." would be appropriate for others). ̶s̶i̶k̶ Sick.

btw, I am too good at making off-topics. :roll: :roll:

Sorry, I had to. :wink:

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 21:46 
Offline
38mins club
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009, 10:56
Posts: 1418
Location: Some pub in Prague
sik, oke

btw I rly wanted to use "alike". You know: "these words and words alike".
But maybe u r right

_________________
http://elmaonline.net/players/Bludek
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 11:38 
Offline
Kuski

Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 17:02
Posts: 398
This is elma? A community that spawned an empire of fucked up words and intentionally erroneous grammar for some unexplained reason? Probably cuz we are hipsters?

So why are you even?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 9 Jun 2016, 08:54 
Offline
37mins club
User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2005, 05:12
Posts: 2197
Location: New Zealand
Image
Sometimes I wonder whether I enjoy these old DOS games for the nostalgia or because they're actually good games.
In this case, I haven't played this one before, and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. So I've come to the conclusion that some old games are that good, and nostalgia comes into it rather minimally.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 22:26 
Offline
39mins club
User avatar

Joined: 9 May 2003, 13:30
Posts: 4440
Location: Valmiera, Latvia
Playing Rocket League, I'm really bad but it's still fun :)

_________________
39:37,91


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 06:53 
Offline
35mins club
User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2002, 15:54
Posts: 3693
Location: suo mesta
Lee wrote:
Sometimes I wonder whether I enjoy these old DOS games for the nostalgia or because they're actually good games.


Quite often I wonder the exact same, except just the graphics part. "I wonder whether I enjoy the graphics of old DOS games for the nostalgia or because the graphics are actually good". Pixelized sprite graphics ftw for my brain, so expressive and readable, compared to modern graphics realism mimicing and information overflow. Minecraft is a living example that there might be something to expressive simple graphics style. But I gues it could also be just nostalgia and minecraft is oke due to its mechanics.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 10:50 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2010, 20:31
Posts: 1007
Information overflow is a good phrase to use here. When you're playing something like Megaman, there are not that many details on the screen, so you can appreciate pretty much every little thing that you see. Every different tile feels important and they all come together to form a complete picture. This feeling of harmony and completeness is very awesome imo. But of course it's pretty much impossible in games where you see thousands of polygons everywhere. Something will be always sticking out and there's no way you will care about every single tree or whatever you see on your way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 12:20 
Offline
38mins club
User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2003, 06:04
Posts: 918
Location: Russia
Yeah that's true, kuchi, and also it's way easier for devs to make the picture appear more tight and focused when they're limited to 2D, 10 sprites on screen, and 256 colors and whatnot. Like, this stuff was drawn using only 16 colors in 1993 and it looks so crisp and stylish i already want to play it again. The feeling is definitely partially nostalgia-induced, but that's not the most important factor at play here. Just look at all the incredibly popular modern indie games with pixelated old-school graphics, - they're loved both by the older gamers and new generations alike.

As for old games in general, i think they're mostly outdated and barely playable, but mainly because UI has gone long ways since 80-90s. Sometimes you don't notice it much due to nostalgia + being used to it since childhood. But most of the time you really have to close your eyes on many interface-related things and some old weird gameplay-related tropes to actually enjoy the experience. Yes, i'm looking at you, old strategy-, FPS- and adventure games. Otherwise imo they're still as good as ever, but that's just my two cents. Haven't put any thought into this post but still gonna press dat submit button, yolo!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 22:15 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2010, 20:31
Posts: 1007
The thing that baffles me the most is how apparently nowadays most popular titles are expected to always use the latest technologies, force players to go buy newest computer parts, etc. And there are surprisingly many people that will say things like "Game A has better graphics than Game B because it uses more advanced technologies". And when you show them a screenshot of an old game they'll immediately start laughing, saying things like "lol pixels" or "lol blocky models", etc. This seems to be such a silly way of thinking it almost hurts my brain. Using some advanced shaders or whatever has nothing to do with artistry and it's stunning and kinda sad how some just refuse to look into some of these older games because they apparently "look outdated". Maybe it made sense when the technologies were progressing really really rapidly, when first "true 3D" games started appearing and allowed for a completely new kind of gameplay and stuff. But as far as I'm concerned, nothing radical like that is happening right now (with the exception of Oculus Rift I guess), yet developers are supposed to crank the system requirements to the max. I dunno, I guess it's just a different mindset and I can't say that my taste is more refined or whatever, but damn in can be frustrating sometimes. Or maybe the situation isn't like that at all, it's not like I actually follow what is happening in the gaming community. xd


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 1 Jul 2016, 14:43 
Offline
Kuski

Joined: 1 Jul 2011, 15:20
Posts: 88
vorm armageddon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 2 Jul 2016, 13:42 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2007, 20:35
Posts: 968
Location: Sandnes, Norway
I'm trying out Fallout 2 (1998). But I'm not really a retro pc gamer, so the UI and gameplay feels cranky to me. I had to see the game for myself, because the gamers that hate on Fallout 4, always says that Fallout 2 is the best. And looking at the atmosphere, sounds and lore, I can see sense in what they say. And graphics are pretty cool.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 2 Jul 2016, 19:51 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 18:07
Posts: 688
Location: Oslo, Norway
Polarix wrote:
I'm trying out Fallout 2 (1998). But I'm not really a retro pc gamer, so the UI and gameplay feels cranky to me. I had to see the game for myself, because the gamers that hate on Fallout 4, always says that Fallout 2 is the best. And looking at the atmosphere, sounds and lore, I can see sense in what they say. And graphics are pretty cool.


I absolutely love Fallout 1 despite its fair share of problems. Even though the Fallout 2 story is somewhat less engaging for me, they fixed every problem from F1, and improved on everything that was already good. F2 is the best Fallout imo, but the vast majority of gamers only seem to care about fancy graphics and slick UI, and won't be able to appreciate F1 and 2 for what they are. And in our age of fucking gorgeous games (The Witcher) that is quite understandable. Still, I find the stylized models of old sprite-based games much more interesting than the more bland aestethics of modern games.

TL;DR: Fallout 1 and 2 are great games, but certainly not for everyone.

_________________
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 2 Jul 2016, 20:36 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2016, 17:59
Posts: 295
fallout 2 is easily the best for me but the original version is quite buggy (some even totally game breaking) so polarix if you havent already you should download the "fallout restoration project" or something like that which fixes 99% of the stuff

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 2 Jul 2016, 23:35 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 18:07
Posts: 688
Location: Oslo, Norway
Vermin Supreme wrote:
fallout 2 is easily the best for me but the original version is quite buggy (some even totally game breaking) so polarix if you havent already you should download the "fallout restoration project" or something like that which fixes 99% of the stuff


Yes it's quite nice. iirc it fixes a very gamebraking mechanic which allowed you to skip all combat if you clicked fast enough. The speedruns of Fallout 1 massively abuse that sneaky little devil.

_________________
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 3 Jul 2016, 12:04 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2007, 20:35
Posts: 968
Location: Sandnes, Norway
Okay. At the moment, I am on a quest where I have to find a spare Radio, and bring it to Vic the trader. Also I have become a slaver. Mega fun, haha.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 3 Jul 2016, 13:37 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 18:07
Posts: 688
Location: Oslo, Norway
Polarix wrote:
Okay. At the moment, I am on a quest where I have to find a spare Radio, and bring it to Vic the trader. Also I have become a slaver. Mega fun, haha.


A lot of that game is about choices, different choices offer different possibilities. Playing like a total douche can sometimes be incredibly rewarding, but you'll make enemies no matter what you do.

_________________
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 3 Jul 2016, 16:55 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2010, 20:31
Posts: 1007
Hmm, somehow I can't play douches in such games, I feel too bad when I see innocent mans reacting to my inhuman choices. I always have to be a paladin kind of guy.
I think I'm actually nicer to NPCs than I am to people in real life. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 3 Jul 2016, 22:15 
Offline
38mins club
User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2003, 06:04
Posts: 918
Location: Russia
I played a 16yo slutty psycho girl in fallout2 once and it was one of the most memorable gaming experiences for me. Super amazing possibilities to be an asshole, and not just a dumb mass murderer. For example, I walked around with Myron, laughing at his pathetic horny lines, looking down at him and replying in the most cruel ways, until eventually getting bored of his whining, which led to his body turning into a bloody mess after an, eh, "accident" at the Golgotha graveyard. Then i went back to Modoc and had some sweet lesbian intercourse with a slaughterhouse girl, then married her, and an hour later sold her to slavers for fun. They were happy. I wasn't. It felt like something was missing. So i went back to the girl's dad, told him about what i had done and laughed in his face, which immediately led to his demise from a heart attack. Now i was happy. Of course, i also banged a random guy to death, which motivated me to become a porn star; we've also enjoyed an epic ghoul farm massacre with a bunch of drunk friends one night. Lots of stories to tell!1


EDIT: I also find it difficult to roleplay a douche on my first playthroughs. Mostly because of practical reasons - i'm just afraid it'll reduce rewards or close interesting paths through the game. Or straight out remove any way of interaction with an NPC/whole location. So, only practical stuff, no moral limitations >:D Except squadmates, cuz they're usually real bros, no matter how shady their background is.


Last edited by anpdad on 3 Jul 2016, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 3 Jul 2016, 22:17 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 18:07
Posts: 688
Location: Oslo, Norway
kuchitsu wrote:
Hmm, somehow I can't play douches in such games, I feel too bad when I see innocent mans reacting to my inhuman choices. I always have to be a paladin kind of guy.
I think I'm actually nicer to NPCs than I am to people in real life. :D


Yeah I'm the same way. A very interesting second playthrough of all Fallout games is the idiot playthrough, where you play with an intelligence of 1. You won't even be able to communicate with NPC's, all your dialouge becomes gibberish. To complete parts of the main quest you have to take mentats to highten the intelligence level. I absolutely love that they put things like that in.

_________________
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 4 Jul 2016, 00:54 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2016, 17:59
Posts: 295
btw wasteland 2 is pretty much the modern version of fallout 2 and i enjoyed it very much. its more linear but all the places still have lots of options to choose good/evil way of doing things, talking or blasting your way out of things or some other like technology/sneaking. its also not quite as free-roamy when it comes to locations although some bigger ones still have a lot of things to do and subplots. the engine is a bit bad/unoptimized but compared to fallout 1-2 outdated mechanics its still a big improvement even with some performance issues

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 17:30 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 19:56
Posts: 5510
Location: Southampton, UK
The Wicher 3, and it's fucking amazing. I think it may even surpass skyrim for me, but dunno if I could come back to it so many times. but it's great. The world is massive and super beautiful, has a great atmosphere. Similarly well-developed to skyrim with cool weapon and armor design, crafting, alchemy, magic etc. And the lasses are HOT. The one thing where it really wins with skyrim tho is that the main character SPEAKS. the conversations sometimes feel so real, it almost feels like I can say what I really what, how I want to say it and with what justification. Brilliant move! Combat also brilliant, but maybe a bit too easy. Some monsters look awesome too,and hilarious NPC lines :D Also, the best depiction of a medieval world I've ever seen. Looks mighty authentic.

Highly recommended to any RPG fan!

_________________
Image
Team TR
Multi WR in Labyrinth with GRob
Best Internal Total Times, Pipe stats & Pipe archive
World kuski map, World Cup stats


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 22:11 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2010, 20:31
Posts: 1007
Started playing Doom again. Probably won't appear in EOL very often now lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 23:32 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2011, 01:07
Posts: 296
Location: Norway
Elasto Mania Online. What else is there really? Don't be fooling yourself. There is only one game in this world.

_________________
Image
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 11:09 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 5 Feb 2010, 00:25
Posts: 2743
Location: expensive land of dads
Mushroom 11 is in fakt a bush2 simuleitor!

Image

Quite coal game btw, though wrist gets tired with tons of movement back and forth.

ninjaedit: puted beter pic of bush2

_________________
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 23:19 
Offline
Kuski
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 20:55
Posts: 1602
Location: Uppsala, Sweden.
Bloons Tower Defence 3 and some other TD games
Tried some old flash games from my childhood again most of which weren't all that
Entered a few old and 'new' MMORPGs only to quit after a few minutes
Decided games are no longer fun for me except Elma and the thought of the old ones
Too little stamina to be able to play things properly anyways, luckily can play elma however long you like.

_________________
Image
kartoffel


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group