What kind of notebook you prefer?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

snajdig
Kuski

What kind of notebook you prefer?

Post by snajdig »

I am about to buying a new notebook, but I don't know much about the brands.
Could you give me some advice?
Personal experiences?
What specifications offered to check?

I will use it for playing elma, watching movies, surfing on Net, nothing special.
I have max 400-450 Euro for this.

http://ipon.hu/webshop/product/acer_asp ... ros/186387
opinion?
Lousku: Snajdig, forgive all my subtle and not so subtle hostility towards you in the past. I can't go on harassing anyone who produces sach sweet wisdom.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Re: What kind of notebook you prefer?

Post by Bjenn »

acer = crap (their chassies is made of plastic and you can bend the whole thing with your hands)
I have had HP and recommend it, also ASUS have nice chassies. But if you don't care about that, sure buy a cheap acer but don't expect much from it.
Measure the processors, those are the most important for not getting a slow computer which would be a shame.
DDR3 memories with a slow cpu that can't even handle the RAM speed is pretty stupid.
If you are going to play elma only it will work with integrated graphics card for sure. I guess you can turn off vsync on any card nowadays so I think you are fine there.
Im not going to look for specific models for you, but I made some points. gl
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Duh, I have Acer Aspire 5740G and it's been working nicely for over two years. Who cares about that plastic body, it's not like you're going to throw your laptop around the room.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I hate the look and feel when a laptop is all plastic. I think it's a bit how your own taste is too.
So if you can have all plastic I guess you can go with a better overall performance. Since Acer puts more expense in their inside.
What did we learn here: inside counts sometimes too =o
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Spiral binding, A4, 7mm grid.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I wouldn't recommend Acer - it may seem good for price from the beggining, but because of bad materials it will actually brake down much sooner than other laptops.
I have HP myself and it is great. Nice looking, powerful and it wasn't expensive, coz I bought it from internet shop.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Advertising
Advertise your levels, contests, sites, notebooks etc.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

SONY vaio.
works pretty well. when you compare it to hp, acer,asus, it´s 500% better. dont personally like toshiba, dells are nice, but i wouldnt buy it, lenovo has crap keyboard for me, dont know anything about samsung. VAIO fits all my needs, just a bit more expensive.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I have also acer and liking it.

As bjenn said cpu is important factor, and don't just look at clock speed, make sure to not get an atom for example.

Also you should always read some reviews, in order to know about things like how good keybaord, battery life etc.

If you have stationary at home and it's mostly for taking places I would suggest a smaller one, I have a 12.x inches which is perfectly fine for taking notes and playing dolphin olympics at lectures and such.

When it's for elma good keyboard is important, for movies a good monitor is important, and these are things you need to find out from reviews or checking them out irl in stores, you can't know that from specs alone.

It's hard to suggest specific brands cus that's almost a religious thing, but aside from acer the feeling I have is that HP and lenovo have good reputation but possibly a tad more expensive, at least lenovo. Asus possibly good too.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I prefer the samsung netbooks. I have one, it's my only computer and it works great. Don't know how elma works on here though.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Buy something with big HDD, good touchpad and long battery life. And to play elma you don't need dedicated video card. Integrated card will save your battery. If you want to watch movies you may need to pay attention on speakers. Some laptops have horribly silent speakers. I'm not sure you will need full keyboard with numpad, at least I don't need. I don't know about your preferences.

Also if you want to use linux make sure that this laptop doesn't come with some custom distro, because you may have problems with drivers when using mainstream linuxes.

Too bad you can't really buy laptops with 16:10 screens anymore, just 16:9 now and all are glossy... :(
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Kinda hopeless to try to find a laptop with good speakers. Just use headphones.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

i have an acer aspire for 2 years. unfortunately, it's overheating often when under heavy usage, the fan is NOT easy to access and i can't even figure out how to access and clean it after unscrewing every screw..
39:37,91
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Lousku wrote:Kinda hopeless to try to find a laptop with good speakers. Just use headphones.
You are right. I just suggested that some speakers are horrible. My speakers are nothing like my pc speakers or TV, but they are quite good as for a laptop speakers.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
snajdig
Kuski

Post by snajdig »

Lousku wrote:Kinda hopeless to try to find a laptop with good speakers. Just use headphones.
i know, it's obv:)
Lousku: Snajdig, forgive all my subtle and not so subtle hostility towards you in the past. I can't go on harassing anyone who produces sach sweet wisdom.
snajdig
Kuski

Post by snajdig »

teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I want to buy this: http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/taichi.htm and have a usb with 3g I guess

Mind you, these days I am using a samsung nf310 as main computer. Typing is no problem, and this taichi has amazing specs for the size. I could use one computer for home and on the road; use office everywhere (and outlook!). What's your opinion on this? I thought about buying a cheap laptop (so I can play Rocksmith :)) and having a small tablet for being online whilst being away, but I really like being able to type and be able to properly edit docs and spreadsheets properly. Another option would be to buy this: http://www.laptopshop.nl/product/266370 ... -w700.html, but I don't know (it has no anti-glare screen and no touchpad, has only 64 gigs ssd, though 700e instead of 1300e or 900e with same processor and 128 gigs ssd).
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

I have a nice pocket-size notebook with a picture of some old buildings from Prague. Very handy.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

My advice is unless you literally need to take the computer with you on the road or something like that, just get a desktop and for the money you save get a decent tablet.
snajdig
Kuski

Post by snajdig »

I don't like tablets :)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Xarthok wrote:My advice is unless you literally need to take the computer with you on the road or something like that, just get a desktop and for the money you save get a decent tablet.
But honestly, I can't seem to find proper desktops these days for a good price. Especially because I have to buy a monitor with it. If you can supply me with some pointers to cheap desktops, you would make me very glad.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

teajay: the initial purchase probably won't be cheaper than a laptop. It's an investment and with the upgradability it pays off. I strongly suggest building your rig yourself instead of buying a prebuilt. It's a fun process, too.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I bought a laptop now, sorrey. It's pretty good and I don't regret not buying a desktop.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Seriously, follow these steps:

First of all, take your dominant hand. Wrap this around your penis, firmly but not too tight. Proceed to masturbate until you ejaculate. Use the semen to mold an entire computer, complete with the latest specifications. Once you have completed this task, I would strongly recommend not taking fucking drugs you hippy ass-hole! Go buy a cunting computer you vagina-ass.

Second of all, review your needs and wants, balancing them up against your proposed budget, being of course ready to break it just a little if need be. A tablet might actually be a good idea, with all the acceptable tablet/laptop hybrids coming out onto the market. Some of these are seriously worth a look.

Finally, install google earth and scour each part of the globe. Once you have done this, tell North Korea the exact location of the jaytea and send a missile to explode him.

cum

EDIT: I spelt "worth" as "work, so I had to change it.

cum
Last edited by A.K.B. on 22 Feb 2013, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

nice akab! i haz hp pavillion dv6-6b57er, everything is najs
Image Image
snajdig
Kuski

Post by snajdig »

what is A.K.B.?
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

snajdig wrote:what is A.K.B.?
all kops bastartds
Image Image
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96