Mopolauta

Elasto Mania board
It is currently 24 Jun 2017, 02:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 9 Dec 2014, 11:56 
Kuski

I know there are a lot of good chess mans here. I have started playing A LOT in the last two weeks. I've always liked the game but really only started to have a much more profound respect for it as of lately. I've started studying chess openings, defenses, and traps. I use sparks chess and have a rating of 1200 on there, but I would like to be much better obviously.

I think my strengths in chess right now is playing methodically, usually having a solid opening game and recognizing some of the opponents attacks before he initiates them. My style of play brings out longer games with opponents of my same skill level, and sometimes Ill get a quick check mate if its something ive researched. Also I have learned a variety of defenses and try to be versatile as black depending on whites opening move

My weaknesses are a lot of different things. I have trouble figuring out how to checkmate when I am up in material, sometimes it results to us going into a long end games with a lot of runner pawns and maneuvering around that. I want to be better at my end game, I find myself being able to checkmate only after I had to go through the whole process of taking out all his pawns and such. Next weakness is blunders, not even getting forked by the knight with rook and king kind of blunder but just leaving something completely open like i never saw it. I have became way way better with this since i started a couple weeks ago, but maybe one in ten games Ill just be dumb and leave something completely open and obviously it gets taken, usually when i am down in material i cant bounce back for the win. I have trouble being aggressive, sometimes Ill think i should sacrifice something and wont and can lose the game as such. Other weakness is that my opening has just been pawn to e4 everytime lately playing as white, usally going into the ruiz lopez or italian game. I still want to be proficient with this before I explore new openings.

To be more specific about one thing when i open with e4 and my opponent goes into the scandanavian defense, i am having trouble building momentum against this defense for whatever reason. Should I make his queen dance around as long as possible and develop my pieces? what should i block with if he brings me into check, the bishop or the queen? I have lost to black a few times when they start with the scandanavian for whatever reason.

Its hard to not feel like a total noob at this game when i think about how good some people are at chess, what are their secrets i wonder?

Any advice would be awesome! i really have come to love this game, wish i knew more about it in my earlier years. also id like to hear about your chess skills, ideas, or gripes.

PostPosted: 9 Dec 2014, 13:31 
Kuski

Is there a good online chess game? It's not the same as playing with proper pieces, but I'd like to play you. I'm not all that good, but as opposed to you (it seems) I excel under pressure in the midgame. Some of my best matches I've been down a few points, and been like two moves away from losing. Then suddenly I'll start hearing the thoughts of my opponent, and just pull a victory right out of my ass. Seems this only ever happens when I'm in deep shit, it's like something triggers in my brain and I can suddenly see the matrix.

Everything else I'm kinda shit at. I have no clue about openings or endgames. Never done any research either, so when you say italian or scandinvian I truly have no idea what you're talking about =P

PostPosted: 9 Dec 2014, 14:41 
Cheatless

Interhybritizer wrote:
Is there a good online chess game? It's not the same as playing with proper pieces, but I'd like to play you. I'm not all that good, but as opposed to you (it seems) I excel under pressure in the midgame. Some of my best matches I've been down a few points, and been like two moves away from losing. Then suddenly I'll start hearing the thoughts of my opponent, and just pull a victory right out of my ass. Seems this only ever happens when I'm in deep shit, it's like something triggers in my brain and I can suddenly see the matrix.

Everything else I'm kinda shit at. I have no clue about openings or endgames. Never done any research either, so when you say italian or scandinvian I truly have no idea what you're talking about =P

sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about:)

PostPosted: 9 Dec 2014, 16:17 
Kuski

milagros wrote:
Interhybritizer wrote:

sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about:)

Correct. I look at the board an move the pieces. Often that seems to go well.

PostPosted: 9 Dec 2014, 21:32 
35mins club

Hi, I play chess. Been playing competitively for almost 2 years. ELO is a bit over 2000 and has been stuck there for a while(

I rarely play online. When I do it's usually at chess.com, rarely FICS.

Probably the fastest way to improve for gimp and other beginners would be to train tactics. Many places have tactics trainers, best I know is chesstempo.com. Chess.com also has a great trainer, but like many things there, it is limited for free users. I have probably learned most of what I know from various channels on YouTube, very much good content there. Go for #elmachess too.

[10:47:49] (Hosp) tol thinks that all there is in life is a gf, status, money blabl
[10:48:19] (ANATOLIY) not all hosp =)
[10:48:29] (ANATOLIY) but elma must be at second screen

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 00:40 
35mins club

I watch kingscrusher and chessexplained blitz vids erryday while eating. I also watch some major tournaments, although super GMs are sometimes max boring, especially in classic. I don't like playing myself, I'm probably a 1000-1300 man. I hate pvp and I hate AI so I'm prety much fukd.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 03:43 
Kuski

I had some crappy 1900+ rating on chesstempo.com (which is the best, imo). Great site, works well etc.

33TT - 54 World Records - is not jaytea
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 07:02 
Kuski

I did a little bit of chess tempo tactics and it was pretty cool. Not all of the puzzles are about figuring out checkmate right? just coming up in pieces sometimes? or maybe I just couldnt figure out the checkmate :(

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 09:35 
Kuski

This pissed me off, look at how beautifully I trapped his queen! :evil: :evil: :evil: It took so much time and energy, yet as soon as he saw it he resigned and I received 0 points! I can only assume it has something to do with us having the same material taken or something stupid. They need to change their resignation settings.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 10:17 
Kuski

Idiot site gimp. Should receive full points for resignations: they are an admission of defeat, not a draw or a default. Quit site immediately.

33TT - 54 World Records - is not jaytea
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 00:09 
39mins club

I've played quite a bit lately on chess.com, around 1200 elo in rapid, 1300 in 1 day chess. I also just roughly know a couple of openings and then do what seems to make sense at the time. Endgame is terrible if it gets down to like just rook + king, can easily fuck up and let the opponent draw or put him in stalemate even. Probably need to learn various endgames.
Add "prokrastinetajs" to friends if wanna play me ;)

39:37,91

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 02:00 
Kuski

Me also, add "Ze_Rubenator" if you wanna play :beer:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 09:43 
35mins club

i am my https://fi.lichess.org/@/zanppe

PostPosted: 2 May 2017, 07:40 
Kuski

http://lichess.org/MJC7y356

Coolest game I have ever played. After he made his move kD5 I had a clear advantage because bishop couldn't take while pinned. I could have taken the rook a couple moves later but decided to promote to a queen instead for fun(would have been checkmate if he took my promoted queen). I have never had a game where I played with two queens so early, also was nice to beat a player 300 rank higher than me.

Edit: after reading my first post on here I realize how bad I was at chess I was then, AND still how much better I have become but how BAD I am still. I still have a profound respect for this game still and how incredibly complex it is. Did you know there are more possible variations of games of chess than there are atoms in the observable universe(look up Shannons number)? Truly a great game with mysterious potential, would love to see some of the community's interesting games if you have them available.