Wisdom that has been passed on

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

gimp
Kuski

Wisdom that has been passed on

Post by gimp »

My great grandpa is 95 years old and has outlived the rest of his generation and friends. He has talked a lot about death lately and seems ready to die, but not in a sad way in my opinion, he seems very at peace with the idea. He and his wife were together for 75 years. Stangely he is atheist which seems rare for his generation. I asked him if he had any advice to give me since he has lived for so long. He told me three things, I wanted to share them and post here so I don't forget.

He said family unequivically came first. That your friends come and go but that your family always seems to be there, and that if you are good to them they will always be there and you will never be alone.

Next he said the almighty dollar. That you had to make money to support and take care of your family, to stay busy doing so and to be able to do the things you want to do. He also said that to realise though that you will never feel like you have made enough and that you will always feel like you should have done more. Make enough to be comfortable and busy.

Lastly he said to have passion and hobbies. To stay focused and to do what you want and not compromise doing the things you love to do.

I thought this was all good advice and that this was a rare and important conversation. Do you guys have any wisdom that has been passed on to you by some rare conversation?
God Bless America
Mats
39mins club

Re: Wisdom that has been passed on

Post by Mats »

Someone once told me to avoid cars when crossing road. I didn't, so have scar in head after hit by car straight in the face when I fell down running across the road. Only remember looking death in the eye, when looked up after falling. Were only 2 weeks in hospital, which I can't remember at all, and mom later told me. Then under a year later fell down again with head on sharp steelcovered concrete stairs. Got a deep cut and remember the blood from my head covering the stairs. Then can't remember more but obviously went back to hospital again. So best wisdom words is: Be careful :wink:
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Tigro
Kuski

Re: Wisdom that has been passed on

Post by Tigro »

Thanks gimp for starting this topic, I was thinking about exactly this some days ago. I was walking down the street and then it just hit me like a truck: If my father just died tomorrow, the biggest grief I would be because of not talking to him enough. He has so much to say, so much wisdom and experience. I would be very sad if I didn't learn as much as possible from him.

But so far, what I've learned from my dad, and his dad:

"At the end, you will be left only with things you gave to others."
By this they encouraged me to be generous and not selfish, because people will remember one day. And even if they don't, it's worth doing it.

"The hardest thing to do is to be normal."
This is basically the same as saying: "Don't do what is simple, but what is right". Many times, when facing hard decisions, this comes up to my mind. It's very difficult, however, to do what is right.

"Never go to sleep without settling things."
Some people say that after an argument it's better to let things go through your head and deal with it in the morning. My father, however, said, that in the morning it's sometimes too late already. Get things OK again as soon as possible.

"Start at 100% and then accelerate."
Do everything as best as you can, and strive to do it even better.

Maybe I will recall some others as the time passes by.