belma TCP vs. UDP

This is the only place for Elma polls on Moposite. Kuski of Month polls are also here. Read more info >>

Moderator: Moporators

TCP or UDP ?

UDP only
46%
TCP only
7%
both TCP and UDP
46%

Total votes: 28

milagros
Cheatless

belma TCP vs. UDP

Post by milagros »

We did some testing of TCP vs. UDP on the moposite server and these are the results :

UDP worked perfectly smooth with 'delay' 20ms and in flagtag balle the unsync at normal elma speed caused some 1-2px diff which was fine. Small delay between frames may cause higher traffic though. For some router-nabs UDP causes problems and they can't see anyone.

TCP kinda sucked. It works reasonably ok only with 'delay' 100ms, however players sometimes lag (stop for 0.2s) and its quite disturbing - that happens when some messages get lost and resend. For flagtag the unsync caused some 1 wheel difference, but sometimes it was much larger when something got lost and flagtag was a bit unplayable. However TCP would work for anyone and it's a bit easier to make the server safer. Also internet connections may get better next years.

Other option is to keep and option UDP/TCP but that would still make router-nabs lagging and disturb others and the flagtag problem would remain.

Tables and stuff will be redone to TCP and will not cause problems. Only frames of players may be UDP.

So what do you prefer?

sveinr or someone, move to polls pls.
[carebox]
Morgan
36mins club
Team: SPEED

Re: belma TCP vs. UDP

Post by Morgan »

i think flagtag wont be battled freqently, so i prefer TCP
Image TT - 36:53.16 || 17 Polish Records || SPEED
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

UDP, flagtag balles looks very fun. And if everyone lags in the walls etc... Wont be nice.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I hate the damn lags.. people should be finally forced to figure their routers out. It usually isn't that hard.

here we go again:
http://www.portforward.com/
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

rarely spying and flagtag balle will very likely nat be popular few weeks after the initial hype

so: nat care kuhan hyppy kulkee
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

milagros wrote:
"TCP kinda sucked. It works reasonably ok only with 'delay' 100ms, however players sometimes lag (stop for 0.2s) and its quite disturbing - that happens when some messages get lost and resend. For flagtag the unsync caused some 1 wheel difference, but sometimes it was much larger when something got lost and flagtag was a bit unplayable. However TCP would work for anyone and it's a bit easier to make the server safer. Also internet connections may get better next years."

I see more good than bad sides in this. TCP only. That kind of lag doesn't sound bad at all. And everyone gets rid of portforward problem, including me!!
EDIT: Ok, why not both TCP and UDP, it's a good compromise.
Last edited by Smibu on 2 Nov 2008, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I hope for flagtag balles, they'd be cool. Whatever if it's a trend, nabs should learn to forward. You're getting the chance or something really innovating and you say like 'oh we don't need that' too easily. We hardly play 1h tt balles, but when we do I find it a great treat. Same goes with flagtalle balle YEA.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I don't know how often the lag happens with TCP but, if it happens more than once per run, it is way too annoying. If it's once a day, i really don't care.

UDP seems perfect for belma in my opinion.
Though i know security is an important issue having nerds playing around with the server. If the server can be safe using UDP, i don't see any reasons to go to TCP.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I think flagtag is kinda boring, wouldn't matter to me if it's not that playable.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

flagtag is awesome in a good level, it has it's own winning technique, it's sort of like elma PvP, predict opponent nxt action. I believe if you're really good at it you always end up in top3-5 but truth is it has a luckfactor, which can be reduced by a proper level where player clusters cant form, this means every single spot of the level needs an escape route = you cant have a horizontal wall, it has to climbable, like a loop to upper polygon.

the real problem will come later when people get bored of it, it will be like survivor or slowness(which also are awesome in good levs), abused by noobs with shitlevs and later forgotten battlemode. and whenever someone starts flagtag balle, ppl whine
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

yes. luckily we can arrange certain restrictions for those.
Palme
Kuski

Post by Palme »

I want best for everything and selected both :)
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

[quote="The_BoneLESS"]I don't know how often the lag happens with TCP but, if it happens more than once per run, it is way too annoying. If it's once a day, i really don't care.

UDP seems perfect for belma in my opinion.
Though i know security is an important issue having nerds playing around with the server. If the server can be safe using UDP, i don't see any reasons to go to TCP.[/quote]
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

[quote="The_BoneLESS"]I don't know how often the lag happens with TCP but, if it happens more than once per run, it is way too annoying. If it's once a day, i really don't care.[/quote]
It's like once every 10-20 seconds :S
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

[quote="zworqy"][quote="The_BoneLESS"]I don't know how often the lag happens with TCP but, if it happens more than once per run, it is way too annoying. If it's once a day, i really don't care.[/quote]
It's like once every 10-20 seconds :S[/quote]
well, that's bad.
UDP would be my choice.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Then ez UDP.
Maska
Kuski

Post by Maska »

mb more easy make normal sockaddr caching from recvfrom on server?
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

People with only TCP access should definately be able to play. Otherwise many players would be angry (those who can't do port forwarding for some reason).

If the lag is problem in flagtag, then you could make a restriction that only players with UDP access could play those. In other battle types (the rest 99% of battles) it doesn't matter anything, so in those everyone should be able to play.