IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by John »

Evil Dead - 4/10 :X
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Dr Strangelove - 9/10
Had no idea what to expect but was blown away. Laughed myself to tears at one point :D The fact that the movie was in black and white didn't bother me at all. Nicely filmed, great characters/actors, highly entertaining and with a message not forced on you but nicely presented. Recommended!
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

Seize the day
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Raven wrote:John, you mean this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/ ??
Yeah, perhaps it doesn't look like much fun but I can assure you it's worth a view. The rating should somewhat give a clue too.
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Hmmm, ill put in to my list. I'll watch it after Transporter 3 and give my vote here :)
Seize the day
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

which one?
Seize the day
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

I saw Crank (2006) yesterday.. Fucking awesome movie :D
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Xiphias wrote:I saw Crank (2006) yesterday.. Fucking awesome movie :D
what did i say? :D
Seize the day
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Disaster Movie: 3/10

Low 3, it only got points because it was an experience i hadn't had before, needless to say, i don't want to have that experience ever again.

as for the jokes in it - they were fucking stupid, it was too fucking random as well, the characters could be walking along the road and a fucking pedobear would fall out of the sky and eat itself whole, then they keep walking. just. so. fucked. up.

never again.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

SmaXa wrote:Disaster Movie: 3/10

Low 3, it only got points because it was an experience i hadn't had before, needless to say, i don't want to have that experience ever again.

as for the jokes in it - they were fucking stupid, it was too fucking random as well, the characters could be walking along the road and a fucking pedobear would fall out of the sky and eat itself whole, then they keep walking. just. so. fucked. up.

never again.
But there were epic song at the end :beer:
Seize the day
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

I just stay away from titles that actually has to declare that they're movies. Usually that's a bad sign.
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

Blow - 7/10
Good movie, just misses some originality.

Jumper - 4/10
maybe a 3, ended up falling asleep.

also watched Braveheart for the 517384th time last night. i don't give out 10s, but to me this movie is the closest thing to being perfect (shawshank not too far behind). think this is the first movie i ever shed a tear for, and i think music contributed to that alot. ez one of the best pieces of music ever made (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUE_BWwxjA).

what is the first movie that gave you goosebumps/tears?

what is the best movie scene of all time?

what do you think is the best use of music in a movie scene?
mcleod
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

bob wrote:what is the first movie that gave you goosebumps/tears?

what is the best movie scene of all time?

what do you think is the best use of music in a movie scene?
Hard to remember the very best and very first and so on but I have a few memories after all.

What is the first movie that gave you goosebumps/tears?
I remember 2 (but surely there has been more) movies that affected me so much that I started to sob. The first one is The Green Mile and the second one is Grave of the Fireflies. Both movies include someone who I, as a viewer, care much about. I think death is one of my biggest fears irl, not to die myself but to lose people around me.

What is the best movie scene of all time?
Very difficult to say, I haven't thought about it, I just keep track of favourite movies.
One scene I can think of is the launch in Apollo 13. It just feels so authentic while at the same time being very nice to look at. Being a spacemaniac also boosts the experience.

Another great scene is the departure of Titanic in Titanic. Yes, Titanic...

Can't really come up with a favourite scene where people actually interact. Witty dialogues and noble speeches just doesn't do it for me I guess.

What do you think is the best use of music in a movie scene?
Hard to say. I like Titanic's soundtrack overall as well as Slumdog Millionaire's soundtrack overall. I don't pay much attention to the music, I just let it set the mood for the scene and the movie.

My question to you all:
Why do you think we avoid crying to movies if we are in company with others? Shouldn't it be as natural as laughing?
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Raven wrote:
SmaXa wrote:Disaster Movie: 3/10

never again.
But there were epic song at the end :beer:
i gave it 2 of those points just for that song.

oh and i want a pet midget.
Image Cyberscore! Image
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

John wrote: My question to you all:
Why do you think we avoid crying to movies if we are in company with others? Shouldn't it be as natural as laughing?
well it is as natural as laughing, but crying - to the general public - is seen as a weakness, and people don't like to show others their vulnerabilities, especially men. which is quite sad.

women, atleast the ones in my life, are less afraid of crying infront of others while watching something emotional, but i guess there would be more tears if they were alone.

crying infront of others can be a very moving experience. think i've only cried infront of two people since 13 (10 years), and i would rather watch a 'sad' movie on my own so i am not restricted.

i really want to see Slumdog. i've only heard good things. i just hope its not one of those movies that everyone hipes up and in the end is disappointing.

was looking at Dr Strangelove clips on youtube yesterday, and it seemed semi funny. think i've seen it on pay tv before, will record next time and watch.
mcleod
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

What is the first movie that gave you goosebumps/tears?
Not sure. I guess I got sad the first time I watched like the Lion King and Mufasa died. Though I can't remember if I cried, nor can I remember if it was the first movie I ever watched. So hard to know. Gladiator had quite the emotional impact on me though.

What is the best movie scene of all time?
2001: A Space Odyssey - The monkey touching the stone thus realizing he can use a bone as a tool. (If not the entire "Dawn of man "chapter"'

What do you think is the best use of music in a movie scene?
Music should not tell you how to feel, it should take what you feel and enhance that. Also, again, 2001: A Space Odyssey has an extraordinary soundtrack. Check it out.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Transporter 3 (2008): 8/10
Seize the day
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

a bit less raven =/
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

third was the worst in my opinion.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

I har same opinion as you
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

I liked it 8O
Seize the day
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

The Day the Earth Stood Still 7½ / 10

fuckin' hated that whineass boohoo-niggajacob
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Rent 3 movies today:

Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Boomer has been nagging me to see it :p
Sunshine Been ignoring this movie until now, seemed like another bad scifi. Then I realised it was Danny Boyle who had directed it and with Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire in mind I gave this one a chance too.
Gedo senki / Tales from Earthsea Hopefully it will have some of that Studio Ghibli-magic over it.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Just watched Sunshine. It could have been a nice movie but it ended up rather dull imo. The Pinbacker-chase was pretty random and just made my overall impression of the whole movie drop. I didn't "believe" in the characters, they just didn't seem as astronauts to me. The editing and camerawork was pretty nice. However, it was really annoying when those faces of the crew came popping up in the middle :( The CGI in the exteriorshots was almost the best thing of all (Like I said some posts ago in this thread I'm easily impressed by good-looking environmental footage).

Btw watch Endeavour's launch tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10.40 GMT to see real astronauts at work ;o

Oh, I almost forgot... 4/10
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Terminator Salvation (2009) : 8/10 (don't watch the trailer, it ruins a minor element which would've been fun not to see coming)
Storywise, the movie isn't great but it does somehow continue the trilogy well (putting aside the illogicality of a few time-travel related elements). There are great scenes of action and sweet special effects. The terminators are very cool looking and they even managed to create a few new breeds that are quite interesting. But what i liked the most about the movie was Marcus Wright, a new character in the story. I even think i was more into his story than Connor's.

Anyway, an excellent action movie! One to see on the big screen!
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

The Hitcher : 6/10
The movie is about a quite evil hitcher who kills quite some people and blames the murders on a sweet young couple (to put it simply). While not being a great movie, it is a good one (as for on-the-road-slashers movies go). The acting was surprisingly good and Sean Bean was really creepy in his hitcher role and he got me screaming at the tv a few times during the movie (which, i guess, is a good thing for the sake of the film).

More of an action-horror movie, cool simple film to watch with friends or your girl.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising (2007): 6/10
Another fantasy/adventure which didn't give anything new. Still, watchable.

Paycheck (2003): 9/10
Max.
Last edited by Raven on 21 Jun 2009, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Seize the day
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Bridal Fever 7/10.
Spring Breakdown 5/10.
Costya
Kuski

Post by Costya »

Planet of the Apes (1968)

really-really-really-really good movie. with excelent ending. 9/10
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Seize the day
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Transformers 2 - 5/10
Very good-looking (almost whane buy bluray just because) but kinda lame otherwise. Didn't like first one either. (Megan Fox is overrated too) :p
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

love the soundtrack to transformers 2 :P
Image Cyberscore! Image
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Hangover - 7/10
Not hilarious but quite funny all the way through. Nice characters. The least interesting character was the one they lost.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Repo! the genetic opera: 9/10 (trailer)
First off, this is pretty much a musical movie (a little bit like Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp) so be prepared for songs all the way through the movie. If that's a turnoff for you, don't even think of renting the movie!

From the producers of Saw, you can expect the movie to have quite some blood in it (even some intestines being pulled out from a living man). For me, the movie was great. Most of the songs are quite catchy and the storyline is good. Repo! somehow reminds me of some shakespearian play. In what sense? Well, all along the movie, you follow a few charaters that have dark secrets and in the end, they all meet up in one final bloody violent scene where a few people die. For fans of rock music and musical movies (and also some violence).

Warning: Paris Hilton is in the movie. But she plays a spoiled rich girl addicted to painkillers and plastic surgery so she's right in her element.

JCVD : 10/10
A comedy, half self-portrait, about Jean-Claude Van Damme, i really couldn't ask for more. The movie is fun, sad and honest about JCVD's life (with some fiction thrown in the mix). Jean-Claude gives an amazing performance which somehow amazed me. I had heard some good feedback on his acting but he really threw me off the couch here. He also makes a quite intense 8-minute long monologue towards the end of the movie which is quite impressive.

Note: I had selected the movie in english and still 3/4 of the movie is in french (which doesn't bother me one bit since i am a french-canadian but might bother some). You'll have to read lots of subtitles.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

the_boneless wrote: Note: I had selected the movie in english and still 3/4 of the movie is in french (which doesn't bother me one bit since i am a french-canadian but might bother some). You'll have to read lots of subtitles.
I love the fact that it's in French! Maybe it's 'cause I'm living in a "sub" and not a "dub" country, but I like it when they keep some originality. And yes, the movie is awesome. I think I'd give it like a strong 8 or weak 9, which is indeed very good. I highly recommend it.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Hot Fuzz - 8/10

BoneLESS I like your reviews, unfortunately I'm too lazy to do my own :x
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Valkyrie (2008): 9/10

Fucking awesome movie. Would have put 9,5 stars if imdb would have such. Tom Cruise did a fucking nice job.
The movie is based on actual events so that makes movie much more interesting. I always knew about Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg's try to assassinate Hitler, but didn't know how etc; so now im more educated. :wink:
Seize the day
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Reservoir Dogs - 9/10
I dont get how I could fall asleep to this movie 2 years ago, I must've been REALLY tired. Awesome movie. Bad-ass all the way through and still it felt genuine. Great script, great actors. I write sucky reviews but I enjoyed the ride.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

transformers 2 - 7/10
amazing animations of robots and other effects, but too much of em. story is boring and predictable. anyway, i think this movie is exactly what it was supposed to be, a party fun film, not to be taken seriously

+ horribly many ideas stolen from other movies (like Star Wars, Matrix and Dune)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I am always a bit biased towards american films about world wars. German ftw. There was a fit screening of stauffenberg's coup earlier, in authentic german. Look it up.
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

teajay wrote:I am always a bit biased towards american films about world wars. German ftw. There was a fit screening of stauffenberg's coup earlier, in authentic german. Look it up.
yeh, you have watched valkyrie? :)
Seize the day
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

As I said, I am biased towards those kind of movies, so I haven't. But I haven't seen much other films lately anyway.
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

heh, ok. But you should see valkyrie :)

The Spirit (2008): 5/10

First, I didn't like Sin City. This movie has few things in common with the. Second, not very good storyline imo. Third, there were few parts which didn't have head or tail. Four, Eva Mendes is hot ;*

Though overally its kinda average movie so 5 is max.
Seize the day
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Spirit is just insanely boring. Tries too hard but fails miserably. Frank Miller should stick to what he knows best and leave directing to someone who knows how to do. Ok, enough, I think I've made my point... ;(

Edit: Btw, I am now a certified projectionist o/
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Ordered some movies:

Låt Den Rätte Komma In (DVD)
American Beauty (DVD)
Juno / Little Miss Sunshine (DVD doublepack)
Peter Jackson's King Kong (Blu-Ray)

Ordered with studentdiscount and used an offer they had on site so I got away rather cheap - 386kr. Blu-Rays still cost a little bit too much for me to fully go to the next generation.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Gedo Senki - 7/10
It didn't seem that promising at first, I thought it lacked that Studio Ghibli-feel. Then I got into it and discovered it was actually a rather beautiful story. Can't complain about the visuals either, very idyllic, fantasy-ish and not too dark, just the way I like it. A few steps behind some of the other Studio Ghibli-films I've seen but still a nice way to spend 110 minutes at 4 in the morning.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Which other Ghibli films have you seen? Howls moving castle and Spirited Away i guess?

if you haven't seen it, Princess Mononoke is worth a watch.
Image Cyberscore! Image
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

SmaXa wrote:Which other Ghibli films have you seen? Howls moving castle and Spirited Away i guess?

if you haven't seen it, Princess Mononoke is worth a watch.
My Neighbour Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies
Porco Rosso
Tales of the Earthsea

Interested in seeing:
Nausicaä
Laputa
Kiki

Somehow I've gotten the impression those could be typical Ghibli-films that I would like :p

Seen more than half of Mononoke but then fell asleep, was so-so, but should give it another chance I suppose.
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Seize the day
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Inside Man (2006): 9/10