Academy Awards 2011

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Academy Awards 2011

Post by John »

It's just a few days left until the show, can't wait! Will you watch? Who will win? Will Ben Stiller be dancing ballet, will Joaquin Phoenix be imitating Ben Stiller?

Personally, the only thing I do hope is for Colin Firth to win Best Actor. Haven't followed awards season but I've heard he's won pretty much everything (?) so far. Also wouldn't mind if Geoffrey Rush won Best Supporting Actor. Other than that I will just enjoy the show.

This year I won't have to browse 10 different unstable streams online either. This year I'll be watching it on tv o/
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: Academy Awards 2011

Post by pawq »

I'll be watching on tv too! yay!
I personally hope that The Social Network will get as little awards as possible (surely deserves some, but not 8 ffs :l), and that Inception will win as many as possible (same, doesn't deserve all ofc, but at least some, like best visual effects, directing or music). I am totally for Portman and Firth winning main awards for acting too :) can't wait!
oh, and I hope Toy Story 3 won't win the best animated feature award ;/
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

opposite of pawq ;) expcept for Portman

Of best picture noms my favourites are Toy Story 3, Socal Network and 127 hours, all really great, dream would be to see toy story win but I guess that's unrealistic, so my hope is 127 hours. Others I've seen is the kids are alright which were pretty good but nothing special and inception which were so so.

Sach annoying thing about oscars, many not out on bluray yet so haven't had a change to see.

For best actor I'm hoping for 127 hours aswell, James franco was nice in it, but again, haven't seen Kings speech so dunno about Colin Firth whom you guys mention. For best actress I'm really really hoping for Natalie Portman, haven't actually seen the movie but been a big fan since Episode I.

uh and the danish movie in foreign category ofcourse, one of the rare good movies from Denmark
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

can't you see Black Swan and The King's Speech in a theatre? o,o I haven't seen 127 hours and True Grit from those important movies, so my opinions obviously don't include those :(
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Yeah I could have seen a few more if I bothered to go to cinema, usually only do when my parents are paying ;)

won't be watching the awards till monday evening probably, let's see if I can make it through the day without getting spoiled, might be hard giving that I'll be spending that day with people from my film class :/
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Winners should be

Inception
Colin Firth
Natalie Portman
127 hours
Tangled (i know... it's not nominated.)
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

i think black swan was good))
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Kopaka wrote:uh and the danish movie in foreign category ofcourse, one of the rare good movies from Denmark
Hämnden was indeed really good. But it's the only nominated foreign movie that I've seen.

I won't be able to see Black Swan before the show (I'm not going to watch some dvdscreener) but I'll go see True Grit tomorrow.

I hope Inception won't win anything else than perhaps Visual Effects. It's nothing special moviewise imo but folding a city over itself is tricky to do.

I'm curious to see Documentary too. Exit Through The Gift Shop was coal and I would love to see Banksy win an Oscar but I've heard Restrepo was some insane stuff.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

hello, can't wait o,o wonderin if I'll last for 7 hours in the middle of the night xd
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Prolly gonna watch, but hate the fact that the most annoying media person in Finland atm is hosting the Oscar watch :x (Maria Veitola)
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

roope wrote:Prolly gonna watch, but hate the fact that the most annoying media person in Finland atm is hosting the Oscar watch :x (Maria Veitola)
I respect her for this: http://naurunappula.com/579653

Might watch, might not watch.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Lousku wrote:
roope wrote:Prolly gonna watch, but hate the fact that the most annoying media person in Finland atm is hosting the Oscar watch :x (Maria Veitola)
I respect her for this: http://naurunappula.com/579653

Might watch, might not watch.
yeah, that came to my mind too, but prolly written anyways
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

The King's Speech - 4
Inception - 4
The Social Network -3
Alice in Wonderland - 2
The Fighter - 2
Toy Story 3 - 2
Black Swan - 1
Civilisation - 1
The Wolfman - 1

(excluding documentaries and short films)

Congrats Inception :)!
Gotta see The Fighter. haven't seen only Civilisation and The Wolfman + The Fighter of those :)
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Grats Denmark!

I'm glad The King's Speech took the 4 heaviest awards, truly amazing movie. I'm going to buy it on bluray, already owning a poster of it. Colin Firth's speech was one of the better ones this year. Swedish commentators said Tom Hooper and Colin Firth hated each other, anyone knows why?

To me the biggest let down was that The King's Speech didn't win a few more and Inception a few less or perhaps the fact that Banksy didn't win at all. I would've loved to see Banksy get his name out to an even wider audience, to see a graffiti artist become a household name.

Anyway, was a decent show although Franco sucked and dragged Hathaway with him a bit but where was the middle act entertainment?
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Yeah Franco was a bit unenthutiastic when introducing some people but there were some nice moments aswell I think. Overall quite good show, can't really put my finger on what but I watched the whole thing in one sitting without ever getting bored which is quite rare for award shows.

Overall pretty happy with the winners, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, Aaron Sorkin all great people as well as Toy Story 3, Social Network, Alice in wonderland, In a better world are great movies.

Now really looking forward to seeing The Kings Speech and Black Swan.

And I agree with John about Inception, althought it was in sound and effects ect. it doesn't deserve shared first place in number of awards, would've been nice if Harry Potter had gotten one of those :)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I did NOT like Toy Story 3 :/ even though I'm a huge lover of 1 & 2 :(
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

you had sex with Toystory 1 & 2?
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||