Linux workaround for Elasto Mania

Before starting a new topic read Moposite's Help and earlier topics. Note: this forum is for Elma problems, not Moposite.

Moderator: Moporators

dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Linux workaround for Elasto Mania

Post by dz »

Updated 25.Feb.2007: Updated information, cleared overall readability.

Since there has been several questions and really no guide or how-to at all how to play Elma in Linux-based systems I thought it'd be a good idea to gather some information available.

First the basics. Elma uses Microsoft DirectX engine to run. That been said, it's pretty obvious that Elma doesn't work in any other operating system than Microsoft Windows. Well, is there no hope then? Yes of course. All we need is an emulator which emulates Windows and DirectX.

Two of the most popular windows emulators are Wine and Cedega (formerly known as WineX).

With Wine you can run many programs and games under Linux very easily. Cedega is a modification of Wine with the main idea to run Windows games on Linux. Basically the difference is that Wine is completely free while Cedega costs some money. Elma will work quite similar way on both. On the following I will cover how to get Elma working with Wine. I will not go trough the Cedega setup because I'm not so familiar with that.

When you install Wine it creates a directory '.wine' under your home directory. After that you can use the command winecfg to configure Wine settings, like play Elma in windowed mode instead of normal fullscreen. You will be fine with the default settings and Elma will work.

When you are ready with Wine configuration just save it and go in Elma directory and start elma with the command wine Elma.exe or whatever is the name of your Elma executable. Now it should start either fullscreen or in windowed mode, depending how you configured it in winecfg.

If Elma doesn't start and gives you error message, check these two things:
1. Do you have the same resolution setting at both winecfg configuration and ElmaConf configuration?
2. Do you have a desired Elma resolution set in the Linux display configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf? On that file there is a section at bottom that lists resolutions available for you to use. Add all desired resolutions there. It looks something like this (an example of my configuration):

Code: Select all

SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
3. After these steps Elma still doesnt work? Post here or send me a PM and I will help you to get Elma work. All in all its very easy to get Elma working on Linux - don't hesitate! :)

Earlier discussion about Elma and Linux:
http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=2046
http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=3752
http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=2519
Last edited by dz on 25 Feb 2007, 15:27, edited 9 times in total.
dz
first 39tt

Elma in windowed mode under Linux

Post by dz »

Updated 25.Feb.2007: Updated information, cleared overall readability.

Running Elasto Mania in windowed mode under Linux.

Elma runs natively only under resolution 640x480. On Linux you must use an Windows emulator to play Elma. Besides running Elma normally on fullscreen, Windows emulators also allows you to create a 'virtual window' on your desktop and play your games inside it.

You can set the size of the virtual window to any resolution you want, but unfortunately there is a problem. As said, Elma runs only in 640x480 resolution, and that goes for the virtual windowed mode too. Even though you can set the virtual window as high as you can, Elma will always be a 640x480-sized "window" inside your virtual window. That means, if you have a desktop resolution of 1280x1024, you can play Elma in windowed mode flawlessy, but only inside a 640x480 window. So the game window is quite small compared to your desktop size.

So therefore if you use a desktop resolution of 800x600 Elma windowed is quite big, but as I use 1440x900, and some people use 1600x1200 or higher, Elma in 640x480 window is rather small.

Fortunately Elma 1.2 has an option to choose resolution size. That way, you can indeed make the window bigger. Only downside is that it will stress more your computer and Elma might get laggy and unplayable.
dz
first 39tt

Linux & Battle Elasto Mania (belma)

Post by dz »

Updated 5.May.2007: At the moment Belma is completely broken with Wine... hopefully fixed soon.
Updated 14.May.2007: Good news! Wine (0.9.36) and belmaServerCfg.exe now works with the latest version 1.006. Have fun!

Linux & Battle Elasto Mania (belma)

Belma aka Battle Elasto Mania was recently released. While there are being made improvements constantly, it is ready in general. It works well with the latest version of Wine and Belma.
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Re: Linux workaround for Elasto Mania

Post by nick-o-matic »

Hello, I'm trying to play elma under linux and I'm using wine for that. And everything is fine until you start playing - the game has small but annoying lag. There's a delay between a buttonpress and an action and also the movemements of the bike aren't smooth (there's slight twitching). Also all recs and levels are not in any kind of order that would make sense :D They seem to be completely randomly in there.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

try virtual box

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

you must have an iso of windows somewhere on your hard drive if i'm right, and then you'll be able to run windows... under linux :

http://www.virtualbox.org/attachment/wi ... /gnome.png
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

yo dawg we herd you have linux. we also herd you like windows, so we put windows in your linux so you can windows while you linux
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I get just the same kind of pressing delay when I set vsync on, have you tried it off?
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Thanks totem, I will try the virtual box later. :)

I have "force v-sync off" marked in eolconf and it has worked perfectly on windows. But now that I checked, my fps is still very low (fps not limited in eolconf) so maybe the vsync is really on actually. The low fps might explain the twitching too. Anyway now I should get the vsync off in linux but the levels and recs are still completely messed up.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

turn on sorting in eolconf, linux directory listings are diff from windows i think, in windows its usually sorted already
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

jonharkulsykkel wrote:turn on sorting in eolconf, linux directory listings are diff from windows i think, in windows its usually sorted already
Hah, it really was that simple! :D Haven't noticed that option in eolconf before.

Also the delay problem was indeed caused by vsync being on. Actually it turned out that I had forgot to install my graphics card. But it wasn't simple to install it because the drived found in package manager actually caused whole system to crash and it had to be deleted in safe mode. Same thing for drivers in the ATI website. But with people from Linux forums and my friend we finally managed to get it working and I can now set my vsync to off from the Catalyst Control Center. Now there is no delay in the button presses but the lag remains and I think that it comes from wine. It's really huge with big resolution but with 800x600 it's pretty small but still annoying. So maybe I'll try totem's virtual box idea soon.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

That's why I always sucked so much at elma - I run linux ;)
wipley
Kuski

Post by wipley »

I cannot seem to get it to work using the latest VirtualBox (v4.1.0). Anyone else experienced issues further than entering the game, that is, entering a specific level, or watching a specific replay? The screen does not update, whether vsync is ticked on or not.

I just wanted to take a look at the EOL level pack.

Somebody with viable advice?
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

I got it to be working. First, install the Direct3D experimental drivers, tick it in the VBox options, then start the game. Only works if 1440x1080 here or something, though, or 1280x960, so as for the original 4:3 ratio be maintained. The framerate leaves to be desired, though. I have opened a bug ticket about this issue: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10025

Anyone that founds something helpful towards the solving of this issue is welcomed to post anything useful to the linked-to ticket.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Who made this thread? Linux! Go play some games on your PC! Next you ask for a Mac workaround? Gay homosex.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Palme
Kuski

Post by Palme »

Had the urge to start elma again. The normal elma exe works quite nice with wine, even though i don't know how to turn vsync off and such things.
But eol.exe - even in offline mode - is just aweful. Screen freezes for half a sec every now and then and overall its just slow, pressing delay and judderish.

Any suggestions?

Also i get this message (in elma.exe and eol. exe): Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.

I Have no idea what i have to do, but this doesn seem to be the main problem!

Thanks in advance!
Apoku RuLeZ! X) http://teamapoku.funpic.de

- me signature is good signature -
Markku
38mins club

Post by Markku »

First you should update your Wine to version 1.2.3, if you haven't already done so. This update has fixed the lagging and delays for some other people as well.

I don't have any other suggestions, so let's hope that's the issue here.
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Palme
Kuski

Post by Palme »

Meh, unfortunately I have Version 1.2.3 installed! But thanks for the hint!
I tested a completely new eol folder, it was still laggy and shit. Im confused, because the normal Elma.exe is really smooth!

But anyway, i did some configuring (actually i just used some tips for other games without knowing what i am doing) and now it runs quite nice. I think i can live with that! Better than no elma at all :)

Thanks again!
Apoku RuLeZ! X) http://teamapoku.funpic.de

- me signature is good signature -
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

pls make elma for linux
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

Lukazz wrote:pls make elma for linux
pls make one
Image Image
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

sorry for digging this up again again: is anyone playing EOL under linux without any bigger issues? if yes, do you use wine or a virtual machine?
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Lukazz wrote:sorry for digging this up again again: is anyone playing EOL under linux without any bigger issues? if yes, do you use wine or a virtual machine?
Not on Linux, but I'm playing on Mac through Wine. Some weird things happen, though, like suddenly it was perpetually stuck in fullscreen. The framrate seems to be stuck to 58 fps, I still haven't found a way around this. It might be hardcoded into Wine, although there might also be some Winetricks I've overlooked. The screen also flickers sometimes, but I can live with that. The only time it crashes is when I try to open new levs while in the editor, but exiting and entering again isn't much effort so it doesn't matter.

Operating system: OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite
Wrapper verson: Wineskin 2.5.12
Engine: WS9Wine1.7.14NoFlicker

It works for me, but it probably depends on OS and computer. I had to do a lot of testing, fiddling and switching engines before I found something that worked.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I play in wine and have made world records in wine iirc.
Only weird for me is that the tuning is slightly different. So some levels that i can play well on win 7 i suck at in wine. Like bumpy.
Also symbols in chat are unworking cause of layout so cant type some symbols. Most annyoing being the ? symbol. But they did work in a previous wine version so likely fixable if orka.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

bene wrote:I play in wine and have made world records in wine iirc.
Only weird for me is that the tuning is slightly different. So some levels that i can play well on win 7 i suck at in wine. Like bumpy.
Also symbols in chat are unworking cause of layout so cant type some symbols. Most annyoing being the ? symbol. But they did work in a previous wine version so likely fixable if orka.
Oh my god please tell a solution, it's so annyoing not being able to write questionmarks.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Have you tried using plus so people think you typoed+

Or underscore like nabs do in eol_
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Orcc wrote:Have you tried using plus so people think you typoed+

Or underscore like nabs do in eol_
I use underscore, but it looks stupid and people don't understand it half the time.
<nick-o-matic> niec

bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Ye I also tried underscore _ dunno why mans can't understand that. 99% of times you are liek "PR_" and mans are liek "w0w grats time?" and you are like "no, what is your personal record in this internal, number 15 serpents tale, I did not make a pr time" and they are like "is that a question?"
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

thanks to bene, i go it to work! no flickering or any other problems so far.
probably have low fps too (dunno how to check), because i can do low-fps glitches, but no vsync-related button press delay.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Shift "-" has always been my "?" symbol in eol
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

I have installed Linux Mint 19.1 on my notebook. When I play EOL via Wine, the game lags a little, every few seconds. It seems like there is a lack of some frames. I had Linux Mint 17.3 before on that notebook and everything was working fine. What can I do to fix this?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

I would be interested in a solution for this problem too. I have Debian 9 on my desktop and EOL runs without any issues, but on my laptop I run Fedora 28 and it's lagging terribly.