The future of competitive Elasto Mania

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Re: The future of competitive Elasto Mania

Post by Chris »

Since legit times are those driven in eol, the site should be modified to make it easier to verify times.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

One thing that scares me is that SL has been around for such a long time, but pretty much no one ever tried to experiment with it just for fun. Now, however, that we have an undetectable version, it seems that everyone immediately downloaded and started playing with it. I just hope that's merely a coincidence.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

I start experimenting now since I thought was impsy to get before xD and this SL is ez to use unlike that Hourglass, impsy program. (But I only use SL for myself on new state for fun not publishing state.dat and saying its not sl and stuff, all my SL recs are named xxHospSL so you know it's cheated.)
ToMaT
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Igge wrote:One thing that scares me is that SL has been around for such a long time, but pretty much no one ever tried to experiment with it just for fun. Now, however, that we have an undetectable version, it seems that everyone immediately downloaded and started playing with it. I just hope that's merely a coincidence.
This is the way I found new style in 17 =)
SL is a sick practice tool as I said earlier
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Igge wrote:One thing that scares me is that SL has been around for such a long time, but pretty much no one ever tried to experiment with it just for fun. Now, however, that we have an undetectable version, it seems that everyone immediately downloaded and started playing with it. I just hope that's merely a coincidence.
yea this is really a pity; I hope people will find it less interesting after few weeks, like playing elma with nitro patch.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

totem wrote:
yea this is really a pity; I hope people will find it less interesting after few weeks, like playing elma with nitro patch.
that's just what i mentioned before :)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

before sl kinda seemed cool, i still dont have it but i liked the discussions about it. but now it keeps dawning on me how much all of the external and cup scene is fucked. skintatious, kopasite, juish level pack, jopi pack, whatever it doesnt really matter all that hard work is fucked now and times driven by people in these externals wont be trusted. saveload is a damn shame and i dont think ill ever be able to embrace it or accept it, and i am also surprised how much everyone else has catered to it. what we should be focusing on is making a program that can detect sl so that not all is lost in the external scene, not advertise the way how to cheat in this game.

does anybody feel the same way as i do? i feel like i am alone on this one.
God Bless America
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

You are not alone, I am slowly dying inside.. It's natural to be curious and wanna try it ofcourse, but many people seem to not even care if competitive legitimate elasto mania is gonna die out.

It seems like no one trusts anyone to not use sl, but it's not like it's not been possible to cheat on external contests or even moposite records before with other tools, some not as public ofcourse, but others very public tools. And there hasn't been big problems with that, two cases on skintatious and a single on kopasite. But in any case it has always been the plan to make some RSS/API on EOL for such externals contests aswell as moposite records for that matter, so that times from EOL can be copied/verified automatically to those contests. A shame you HAVE to play online ofcourse but that seems the only solution for now atleast.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Am i the only trusting person in the whole scene? :|

Yes, i am gravely annoyed that undetectable SL has been publicised, however i think of it as merely another tool to advance elma. I don't blame Smibu for "destroying elma" as so many hurtful and unjustified assholes on EOL seem to be.

I have faith that cups can still work, that significant users of sites like Kopasite and Skintatious can continue to be honest players. After all, when you play a game as long as we have there IS no joy in cheating. WR's may be easily beatable now but still you face the fact that your SL'ed time is still shit, there's no point to cheat.

Those with skill enough to make WR's with SL in externals and internals are probably old enough to remain honest anyway. Add into it that the program only works successfully for every 1/10 people or so without being harder to use than Hourglass, i think maybe things won't be so bad that the entire scene will die painfully.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

Kopaka wrote: But in any case it has always been the plan to make some RSS/API on EOL for such externals contests aswell as moposite records for that matter
this is exactly what i meant by something good might come of this, that the above might actually happen sooner rather than later. now i don't know what it takes for this to happen, but atleast it's cool to see that it's something that the people behind eol are thinking about, and i also can't wait to hear more about this elma physics cloning project.
the future of the external scene (meaning non-battles) needs to make its way into eol somehow. that's where all the players are and all the newer players (and probably also older) are used to everything being easy when competing, as it is when battling on eol. if this easyness can be brought to normal levpack contests and cups, or new formats, within eol while not taking the freedom from the contestmakers (important that there's a great diversity in how you chose to make your contest). well that would be winning.

regarding internals, well that needs some kind of solution pretty soon i geuss.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Haruhi very optimistic man. +1 for that. Several mans seem to have lost faith quickly :) I see no reason to give up my expectations in community though. EOL is alive and kicking, internals are being hoyled for wrs actively (everyday internals parties ez), and people are mostly concentrated on legitimate elma anyway, waiting for issues (caused by smibu's sl spread) to be resolved. And it seems EOL is one of possible ways of doing it.
Agree with J-sim btw.
p.s. hm, kinda low-quality post, sorry for that :D
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I agree with every single word of yours gimp
and Haruhi: I bet most of the players would remain honest and would not cheat in cups etc, but it is enough to have one who does, and the whole thing is spoiled :(
Uncle Milty
39mins club

Post by Uncle Milty »

get eliminated by s/l in elimination cups would suck
---
Team EA
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Uncle Milty wrote:get eliminated by s/l in elimination cups would suck
But beating someone even though he has s/l would be epic :D
But that's kinda impsy imo... sl is just too powerful and unfair... (if used right)
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
trew
38mins club

Post by trew »

I'm also optimistic like Haru. I trust ppl will not use this for bad. I know it has happened before, not when I was in the scene tho, so I don't have any experience with it.
Fucking broken image every month
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

And if Elma DOES die we all go FishMoto.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Fredrik
Kuski

Post by Fredrik »

I mostly play internals to compete with myself anyway, if someone cheats some super impsy time it doesn't really affect me that much I feel. I also feel that I would have no joy cheating sick times with SL because a lot of the fun in this game for me is the hard work and hoyling that has to be done to get good times, not as much showing off to others, therefore no point in cheats. I just hope many mans feel the same way.
Team KoN