Do you want left alo in Elma 2?

This is the only place for Elma polls on Moposite. Kuski of Month polls are also here. Read more info >>

Moderator: Moporators

Do you want left alo in Elma 2?

Yes!
33%
Probably yes.
5%
Not sure.
5%
Probably no.
7%
No!
50%

Total votes: 58

Tigro
Kuski

Re: Do you want left alo in Elma 2?

Post by Tigro »

Lousku wrote:How about this: Leftalo is always possible to execute unless a battle has "leftalo cripple" on (I think people will agree that this should be the default setting, perhaps even requiring special battle rights to switch off). Default record lists exclude leftalo runs and there are separate lists including leftalo. This would keep normal record lists as they are while allowing anyone to play any lev with leftalo if they so wish.
this.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Adding left alo makes as little sense as removing alo completely, if not less. After all, alo is a bug and shouldn't even have existed. Adding another bug on purpose just because there already is one just feels unnecessary and wrong.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Tigro, could you just refrain from posting when you have nothing to say?
Igge wrote:Adding left alo makes as little sense as removing alo completely, if not less. After all, alo is a bug and shouldn't even have existed. Adding another bug on purpose just because there already is one just feels unnecessary and wrong.
Alo was originally a bug but can't be considered one anymore, since it's just as predictable as normal volts.

My suggestion wouldn't remove anything from current gameplay mechanics, and neither would it require anyone to adjust to new mechanics. As you can see in the results of this poll, there are people who want to play with left alo. They would be free to do so with their own record lists. I can't see how this would be different from, say, current cripple record lists. You're free to höyl without brake, but nobody is required to even pay attention to nobrake record lists. In the same way, players ought to be able to configure a leftalo button and höyl separate leftalo records, while the majority of players play the same game they're used to.

Can anybody point out flaws in this idea?

edit: I see Xarthok already suggested it months ago :)
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Flaw: The left-alo list would undoubtedly become the dominant one, simply because the replays, times and styles would be more impressive. Who would care about someone doing 13.99 on Warm Up when 13.90 using left-alo would already be common? Note that this is a made-up example as I have no idea how left-alo would affect that level, but the point still stands. Obviously in other levels the difference would be bigger.

This means that everyone would be "forced" to adopt the left-alo paradigm. If you're only talking battles I guess it could work, but it would be a rather arbitrary restriction. After people get accustomed to using left-alo most would probably want to play internals and cups with that too.
Lousku wrote:I can't see how this would be different from, say, current cripple record lists. You're free to höyl without brake, but nobody is required to even pay attention to nobrake record lists.
The difference would obviously be that the "cripple" list would be more impressive than the normal list, and that the normal list would in effect be the one that's "crippled". I guess you could say it's somewhat comparable to saveload lists or even nitro lists, which nobody really cares that much about, but when the feature is a built-in part of the game I think it would feel different.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Very fair point, thanks for the reply! I guess it's impossible to predict exactly how the addition might affect general gameplay, but it's definitely possible that leftalo playing would become prominent, repelling some significant number of players from the game.