Levels rating system?

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Levels rating system?

Post by Chris »

The !lev 3, !lev 10 etc is bad in my opinion. 1-10 scale is unclear. Which levels should be given 10? Someone may give 10 to every good level, while other person may reserve highest note only for very special levels. I know that current system isn't implemented, but if there will be any rating system I would rather see something like: !good for good levels, !meh for average levels and !bad for bad levels. There may be shortcuts like !g, !m and !b. It still leaves plenty of room for different interpretations, but it's still more clear and fair. The designers may be later judged by amounts of the !good marks etc. What do you think?
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Tigro
Kuski

Re: Levels rating system?

Post by Tigro »

same as in IMDb thread:
1: pls abort
2: why
3: shit
4: bad
5: somehow worth playing
6: ok
7: good
8: pretty great
9: masterpiece
10: perfect
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

its too easy to drop someone's rating just by giving 1/10
something like/dislike could be good i guess?
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

What is the difference between good and ok or masterpiece and perfect? Even if you give me good or ok explanation, most of people will never read it and still will give notes using their very own scale. The youtube rating was pretty useless with most of vids having 4,5 rating until google simplified it with up and downvotes. Now you see the numbers of votes and you have some idea of what are you going to watch.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Yeah we discussed something like youtube's like/dislike a while before telling ppl to vote ingame, can't remember why I choose not to or if I forgot about it. However a much bigger issue is that it seems there isn't a whole lot of voting going on. With like 1-2 voting for a level you can't really make any reliable average and some best voted this month or whatever isn't so useful.

Currently we have this: http://elmaonline.net/battles/designer which shows your own votes, so you can remember them for stuff like GAA. Some top list based on designer (average of all votes on a given designer's levels) might be plausable aswell with current amount of votes.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

the other problem is elmans are all idiots and vote !lev 10 on the most randomly awful balles
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Yes, it's a big problem that all the others except Haruhi are idiots and don't have the perfect evaluational sense which he possesses.

On the side note I think people don't vote because the voting doesn't do jack shit. Even battles with 10 rating are seldom GAA-worthy.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Orcc wrote:Yes, it's a big problem that all the others except Haruhi are idiots and don't have the perfect evaluational sense which he possesses.

On the side note I think people don't vote because the voting doesn't do jack shit. Even battles with 10 rating are seldom GAA-worthy.
Perhaps i wasn't clear. I'm not meaning in terms of people just voting high on levels i don't like, i'm talking about people who start 60 minute battles on the default new level and jonsykkel goes "wtf" "!lev 10"

Perhaps you would do well to try and read things, rather than jumping to an insulting conclusion, Orcc.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Haruhi and Orcc said basically the same thing. Haruhi said people throw away 10s on the most random battles, and Orcc says voting doesn't mean anything because even a 10 (by today's standards) isn't GAA worthy. What they're both saying is people should be more considerate and only use 10s when they feel they've played one of the best levels of the year (remember that on the EOL site you can see which levels you've given 10s over the year, and use this when nominating levels for the GAAs).
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Igge wrote:Haruhi and Orcc said basically the same thing. Haruhi said people throw away 10s on the most random battles, and Orcc says voting doesn't mean anything because even a 10 (by today's standards) isn't GAA worthy. What they're both saying is people should be more considerate and only use 10s when they feel they've played one of the best levels of the year (remember that on the EOL site you can see which levels you've given 10s over the year, and use this when nominating levels for the GAAs).
This is why I propose other system. We can keep blaming people, but it's system doesn't work with these people. You can't change people, but the system can be changed.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Haruhi wrote: i'm talking about people who start 60 minute battles on the default new level and jonsykkel goes "wtf" "!lev 10"
I think this again has the same reason as the low turnout for voting, it's just that the votes don't do anything. If for example average of designers' lev ratings and battlewinners' rec ratings would show on people's eol profile page, I think it would encourage people to vote and actually put some thought into it. Jon doesn't count thou
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

well, you know your lev sucks if jon goes !lev 10, it's like the first thing you learn in eol
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

I suggest: make the voting work, and make something called "the level of the day", "the level of the week" etc based on that, and let's just see how it starts going. After that obviously it's the right time to improve the system or throw it away. Of course the eolscene (at least the part that only uses eol.exe) currently does not give a shit about anything that's on the site but we can always try.

There also could be a thing that prevents certain people from voting etc.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Just make it possible to see who voted what (maker still sees it in the chat right away), and add possibility to see the latest rated levs in any selected player's personal page. I couldnt care less about what most other people think, it all comes down to taste/skill/mood most of the time, so the average score doesn't tell any information in most levs and it's impossible to use it effectively to find out what lev would be interesting to try for me, even if i wanted to.
But i'd be extremely interested in checking latest levs that jon liked or luther disliked much, those are probably good. Now that i think of it, there was similar functionality added somewhere already, right? Excuse my bad memory plox.