terribly sad news

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Mats
39mins club

Re: terribly sad news

Post by Mats »

TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

So I went to Marck-Antoine's funeral today. I have to say, I didn't expect this many people, but there were probably close to 200 people at some point. I wanted to make some kind of homage from the Elma community but it turned out that they were short on time and only the close family talked in the microphone. I obviously did not push it to get to speak. However, I talked to multiple members of his family and here's what I told them.

I told them that because Elasto Mania is such an old game, the community is very dedicated and very small, just about 100-200 people from all over the world who enjoy this niche hobby. I said that Marck was a pillar in the community, ever since he joined. Many of you mentioned that he was the first person who approached you when you joined. He was a very welcoming, very warm of heart, full of love to give and empty of negativity. I do believe that he was the most appreciated personality in the entire community. I don't think we will ever get to see someone as friendly, warm, selfless, cheerful, positive and dedicated in this community as Marck was. It's easy to say it in hindsight, but he really was such a brilliant light in a community where a lot of people keep it to themselves.

I also mentioned that he had started a project to design a big collaborative level with the community (Chain Pipe 4), but that it hadn't been completed; now, the project has been picked up and will be completed in his honor. I said that Marck was one of the best level designers, making hundreds if not thousands of levels for everyone to enjoy. He not only made so many of them, but he also put a lot of effort in each of them to make sure we'd get the best levels to play with. He left us his legacy, a heritage of hundreds of levels to treasure and play, remembering the brilliant mind behind them.

I told them how big the support was when we heard the news, and how shaken up the community was. We were really a second family to Marck, and now it feels like we've lost a brother. We may only be virtual friends, but the grief is very real.

For the cause of death, I did not want to ask it directly because I felt like it would have been insensitive; however, given the speeches and the information I heard, it appears that Marck-Antoine took away his own life in a moment of intense stress in fear of losing his job. It might have been a decision made in 5 minutes. I know that he really had two things in his life: his job and elma. He devoted himself to both, and it appears that the fear of losing one of them was a bit too much to handle. I am not 100% sure this is exactly how it happened, but I think this might be the best we are going to get. We don't know what was going on in his mind, but what we do know is that he treasured all of us very much, and that will not be forgotten.

For the funeral itself, I don't know what to say really. Funerals of 25-year-olds are incredibly depressing. His family was destroyed. I cannot imagine the pain of burying your own child. His little sister, poor her, looked so fragile yet so strong at the same time. His godfather made a very moving speech in which he talked about all the great experiences Marck had in his life, including his trip to Vancouver (which is when he met Memphis), his trip to Michigan just last week to meet Devin, and talked about his last phone conversation with Marck, where he talked about his vacation, his friends from Michigan, phone bills and his future plans of going to New Zealand, where he was going to meet Leeland. Leeland's post that Marck talked to him the very day he died about the trip to New Zealand in 2016 moved his relatives a lot. Thinking about that speech and the emotions his relatives felt when I talked about what Marck has done for this community, I cried on the way back home. It was a very moving experience, and I did not know I could feel this much emotion for someone whom I had met personally only once. He was truly special.

Overall, I think the general message from his family is thank you. We, as a community, were Marck-Antoine's second family, we were all his friends, and he wanted to meet us all. We helped make him happy certainly as much as he did to us. May we remember Mawane forever as the best human this community's ever had.

They handed out bookmarks to keep in his memory. I wanted to share it with you guys because it has something special on the back.
:mrhat:
Mrrrr
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Mrrrr »

As far as I understood from Devin (who knows it from his girlfriend who spoke with Marck's sister) he died from heart failure (not suicide). Dunno and it doesn't really matter. It's still sad... :cry:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

His uncle/godfather, in his speech, mentioned that he couldn't understand his decision, but that he couldn't judge him for it, and that it was a fatal decision made in just five minutes. That led me to believe it was indeed a suicide.
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Thanks Bismuth we appreciate you being there on our behalf and thank you for updating us and putting all this effort for Mawane.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Yeah agreed very cool of you to do all that Bismuth. I personally would of felt shy about doing something like that and talking to the relatives about a game and fear of seeming weird but if it was so important to Mawane its good his family knows now.
God Bless America
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

This is horrible news and was in shock when I heard from Bis. He was very young which makes it more depressing.

When he came to visit me in Victoria, he was quite nervous but I don't blame him. I think he missed the bus he needed to take to get close to my house so i picked him up. My girlfriend at the time now wife isn't a huge fan of the game or any video game for that matter and she met him as well. I remember him being really into level making and showing me the tools he used to make them. At the time, I had just got we in animal farm and was big into internals. Thought he would be begging to see wr but he could take it or leave it. I showed him it anyway but we definitely had different interests as far as elma goes. Can't remember what else we did as it was probably 10 years ago now that he came out to visit. Definitely a really nice young guy and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family now. RIP.

Thanks Bis for all that you did and updating the community on it.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Really appreciate you doing this Gabriel. Feels good to get some closure, and to know the family knows there so many people out there affected by this.

Chat log from when Mawane made me go sleep early for exam the next day.

Code: Select all

11.05.09  00:56:06  Mawane  Mats  u should go slep 
11.05.09  00:56:19  Mats  Mawane  oooh ye 
11.05.09  00:56:42  Mawane  Mats  or i spam you 
11.05.09  00:56:57  Mats  Mawane  well sleep early today then 
11.05.09  00:57:07  Mawane  Mats  d 
11.05.09  00:57:07  Mawane  Mats  s 
11.05.09  00:57:08  Mawane  Mats  dg 
11.05.09  00:57:09  Mawane  Mats  t 
11.05.09  00:57:09  Mawane  Mats  s 
11.05.09  00:57:10  Mawane  Mats  fse 
11.05.09  00:57:10  Mawane  Mats  sf 
11.05.09  00:57:11  Mawane  Mats  h 
11.05.09  00:57:12  Mawane  Mats  gfas 
11.05.09  00:57:12  Mawane  Mats  sd 
11.05.09  00:57:12  Mawane  Mats  fgh 
11.05.09  00:57:13  Mawane  Mats  as 
11.05.09  00:57:13  Mawane  Mats  gh 
11.05.09  00:57:14  Mawane  Mats  sd 
11.05.09  00:57:14  Mawane  Mats  ggjhj 
11.05.09  00:57:15  Mawane  Mats  fgh 
11.05.09  00:57:18  Mawane  Mats  ef4 
11.05.09  00:57:19  Mawane  Mats  f 
11.05.09  00:57:19  Mawane  Mats  r 
11.05.09  00:57:19  Mawane  Mats  qw 
11.05.09  00:57:19  Mawane  Mats  ht 
11.05.09  00:57:19  Mawane  Mats  v 
11.05.09  00:57:19  Mawane  Mats  i7e 
11.05.09  00:57:19  Mawane  Mats  t 
11.05.09  00:57:20  Mats  Mawane  i got the point gn 
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Thank you, Bismuth.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Been following this topic not really knowing what to say, makes me both happy and sad to read about the impact he's had on people. Didn't know about all the people he has helped introducing to the scene. At least he will be survived by the things he did here. Thanks to Devin and Bismuth for all the updates, it's nice to have that kind of closure.
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Yeah, thanks Bismuth and Devin! I'm very happy with how we were represented by you guys.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Thanks to all you guys who dedicated your time/money and representing us and comforting their relatives in this time of great grief. Thanks, Bismuth for being there.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

I feel that I can write a few more words now; that I'm a little more understanding of the situation. I've been shaken up for weeks over this; and I need to get some of it off of my chest.

It's not a word of a lie that Marck-Antoine has been a household name here at my home for many years. While I'm not the greatest player or the most active person anymore; Elasto Mania has been a huge part in my life - so much so that my family members know who Mawane, Bismuth, nIN, Lee etc. are just from my years of telling stories at the dinner table. They've been following this news just as closely as I have; and I've showed them Bismuth's post above.

First and foremost; Kuskis tend to be a rough crowd - we have brutal in-jokes and everyone insults people tongue in cheek without a second thought. It's just how we are; and it's not for everyone. Mawane stands as the most welcoming kuski that has ever played the game. He never had a rude or mean word to say about anyone and I truly appreciated that; watching how he interacted with the player base. I'm a fairly old kuski now and Mawane was like this from the first day we played together in #battle. I truly think that there are few if any people more steadfast and upstanding as Mawane was for this community.

Thank you; Gabriel and Devin; for extending the hands of the Elma community to the family. We're very spread out and so it's difficult for us to do much; but this lets the family know just how respected and important Marck-Antoine was to us as well; and that we are also grieving him. That was the most gut-wrenching thing I've ever had to read. The bookmark broke me and I cried like a baby.

Even as this game eventually fades away into my distant past; and I slowly lose the memories of !lev 10's, yelling at people for not speaking english in belma and Raven's obsessive runkka regime; I will never forget Marck-Antoine's kindness and enthusiasm for the game he loved so much; and how important he was to the friends he made within it.

I'm sorry I didn't know you better; for all the years we played together. I've been inactive too long and I didn't get to keep up with where your life was going; but I'm going to be able to look back on how excited you were to study chemistry all those years ago and our excited discussions of the basic tenants of the science; and the discussions of how awesome the world was.

I'll miss you buddy; even if we haven't been close in a few years - I'll still never forget you.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

I will miss Mawa nonetheless, but I am a little mad at him. Suicide... for the love of Elma and friends here, he should have grown old with us.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Big thanks to Bismuth and Devin's gf for going. I wish the family knows many more of us would hev attended if most of us didn't live in Europe.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

Hello, don't be mad at mawane for this. Personally I still don't believe suicide, despite his godfather's speech. They don't know the cause of death for sure yet as they didn't have any toxicology reports in yet. My girlfriend and Rosanne met up after the funeral at the hotel room and talked for hours about everything and they both believe his heart failed him due to his current stress. As many of you know he took his job and elma very seriously and those of you who don't know, he does not handle stress very well at all. While he was with me, he literally got sick and threw up multiple times due to stress from my gf and I getting into a disagreement, I can only imagine how the shock of possibly losing his job hit him. Thanks again for all of his condolences I believe Bismuth did a wonderful job at the funeral. I have in my possession his favorite hooded sweatshirt which we will hold onto and cherish forever. It was not the same seeing that sweatshirt come back from canada and have Marck not with it :( Thanks everyone for all the condolences and sharing memories. He was a great guy and I already know my funeral would be nowhere as well received as his. Next summer his sister is planning a trip to Michigan to come visit my gf and which I think will be great!
-brag
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

Damn very much thanks to Devin and Bismuth for that.

And Maw: this changes nothing, im still meeting you up there, not up there in Canada as i wanted but it will be when my time comes. Say hi to my dog, fu, nou, cyu!
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

Pab wrote:up there in Canada
ez me instead
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

ez, Tony there too, would also like to meet.
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
magicman
Kuski

Post by magicman »

This is very sad.
From what I've read, he seems very friendly to new players, something this community is lacking, big props to Maw!
R.I.P
Team: CF || wc4 pos. 6th || tt: under 42 duno || Metallica... ImageImage
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Beautiful bookmark. Very sad, very fitting.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Cfilorvy
Kuski

Post by Cfilorvy »

I'm not that active in the scene these days, that's why I haven't commented earlier.
When I read the first post and replies, I could not believe it, but when I continued reading it started to sink in, and it really brought tears to my eyes.
Mawane was a great guy, and I talked to him a lot back in the days.
Awful and sad new.
RIP Mawane.
TT: 42
Undiente
Kuski

Post by Undiente »

Oh, god.

:_(

Suddenly I remember every single interchange we had over the years.
Haruhi wrote: First and foremost; Kuskis tend to be a rough crowd - we have brutal in-jokes and everyone insults people tongue in cheek without a second thought. It's just how we are; and it's not for everyone. Mawane stands as the most welcoming kuski that has ever played the game. He never had a rude or mean word to say about anyone and I truly appreciated that; watching how he interacted with the player base. I'm a fairly old kuski now and Mawane was like this from the first day we played together in #battle. I truly think that there are few if any people more steadfast and upstanding as Mawane was for this community.
Can be rephrased, but can't be said better.
1999: Discovered accross.
2002: Joined scene.
2003-2010: Made hundreds of quality levels.
2011: Discovered real life.
Giancarlo
Kuski

Post by Giancarlo »

Damn. I am truly shocked at the moment. I have just heard the terrible news.

I was just speaking on fb with an other old-school hungarian kuski (inf3rno - some of you maybe know him from the old #battle times) about joining EOL again. I was speaking about Mawane to him. I'm in the scene since 2001 but I stopped playing for several years (son has born, running businesses, etc).
But almost exactly 1 year ago out of the blue i have got an email:

http://i.imgur.com/XCMblp2.jpg?1

So I just told the story to him how Mawane brought me back to the scene and what a good thing it was. And this was the moment when we found the terrible news about Marck-Antoine. :(

We talked a lot at the time I was active. Before 2009-2010. I think he was the only non-hungarian kuski who knew my real name without using fb or moposite. And vica versa.

We always warmly welcomed each other when we saw each other in EOL during a -for me- late night battle. Damn, he was such a good guy.
Damn I never had tears in my eye for someone who I never knew personally, only through the internet. :(
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Devin, are there any updates? Or... will we ever find out what was it actually: heart failure / suicide? I still believe it was the first.

We miss you Mawane! :cry:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Undiente
Kuski

Post by Undiente »

I hope it was the first...
1999: Discovered accross.
2002: Joined scene.
2003-2010: Made hundreds of quality levels.
2011: Discovered real life.
CommonSeb
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by CommonSeb »

I can't believe what I am reading!
I have not been around the community for the past few months and just found out.

The first thing I remember from the time when I joined EOL in 2011, was Mawane complimenting me on my very first levels and asking me
if I wanted to join his team. I was immediately a part of the community thanks to him, and he always gave me a good reason to stay
on the server through the night until almost everyone was gone, cause that's when he would log on. And that was always a highlight.

When I was playing again last night I was hoping he would log on, cause I didn't know. And reading this now is just surreal and shocking...

I am gona miss my mentor and team-mate.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

devin - have you recieved any actual confirmed news about the situation? its been well over month since
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Klaskerlol
Kuski

Post by Klaskerlol »

I remember laughing so much at his rap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMUphVV08iQ He seemed so happy then :(
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

I can't believe this. Some days ago i checked Lauta after years and i've read "RIP Mawane" somewhere in a signature but i thought it was a kind of joke or something.
A lot of funny chats, msn and a even a phone call come to my head now.

RIP mawa
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

It was probably my signature. Unfortunately no joke.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
barryp
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by barryp »

Oh mawa, what an awful thing to hear on my return to elma. Top guy. Will miss you.

Original chainpie maker all the way back then....it now means so much more!

Rest well.

Barryp
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

Random find:

http://www.kopasite.net/up/0/mawane2013.jpg

Mawane had kuski wood cutout on top of his printer in 2013
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

jblaze wrote:devin - have you recieved any actual confirmed news about the situation? its been well over month since
asking again what was the cause of this horrifying accident if we may know
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

sunl wrote:Random find:

http://www.kopasite.net/up/0/mawane2013.jpg

Mawane had kuski wood cutout on top of his printer in 2013
http://kopasite.net/up/3uj4qikx67f9via/P1120059.JPG
Team MiE
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

thanks Bismuth for being there and expressing to his family how important Mawane was, making them realise the devotion he put. that's really nice, shows some kind of strength of the community. i really hate any death for its irreversibility, any plans or dreams to meet, get to know that person better, go to hell. I liked Mawane, we talked sometimes, then after I did some bad things to elma we became enemies. obviously he was right and i was just stupid. now i won't have any chance to draw this ever back. remember how sensitive he was, always first to help, explain anything to the newcomers etc. His level of every-day-helpfulness is unreachable even for folks like Lousku, e.g. Just to prove I also made him happy once or twice:
Mawane wrote:I talked to Berhabdul tonight! He was drunk, but not so much.About 1-2 minutes but doesn't matter. I understood about 60% of what he said, lol. We talked about belma and Heroes of myth and magic III. He said me that he really loved ''!Ulti-ma-p''. Here is his request:
http://up.k10x.net/oquceliarmyyv/Heroes III.rar
Mawane wrote:SLA
omfg, I can't believe that I talked with two people by phone in two days! WOAAAHHHH! I really loved to talk with him!!! it was hard to understand with his spanish accent, but i made him repeat and repeat slowly and i understood 90%. Another best moment added to my life! we talked about internals and what was hapenning in our lives. I'll remember this forever like my meeting with memphis. thanks sla for encouraging me to call you: i finally found all numbers to add to your phone number, lol. If someone want to call him:
011(overseas code)-54(country code)-11(city/area code)-4639 6737
Was nice to see that I was the author of one of his "best moments". Remember also about the famous movie, where he overcame shyness and did his best to positively entertain us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMUphVV08iQ

Most of the 100,000 views happened because i put the movie on one of the polish "funny" sites.

edit: personally i cannot watch this since his death due to overwhelming sadness
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Interactions with other players certainly meant a lot to him, like you said he was sensitive and had a gentle soul.
God Bless America