How will you die?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

gimp
Kuski

How will you die?

Post by gimp »

We don't think about it much but we will be dead a lot longer than we will be alive, maybe even infinitely longer. The transition of This event is called death.

I believe technology will have advanced to the point where my mind can be uploaded into a robot before my normal bodily functions of lungs and brain give out. So most likely scenario will be some humane way of killing my body off after successful uploading. Probably lethal injection or pulling the ventilator on my comatose body.

Trick is to keep my mind healthy even into old age so that I can still be a likely candidate for the upload process.

How about you, how do you think you will die?
God Bless America
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Re: How will you die?

Post by Mawane »

gonna hit my head on a killer

this shouldnt be in advertizing :/
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

I just won't wake up one day.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Who cares about it? You will die, but no need to think about it, simply pointless.
Team SPEED

gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Well okay captain buzzkill I will make one up for you. Probably something normal and boring like heart disease
God Bless America
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

If your mind is uploaded onto a robot, it would probably not be you, but a copy with all your memories. So you'd be dead just the same.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

I was going to say that :x
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Key word probably. Again why rain on my parade you did not predict your death
God Bless America
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

What would be the point of trying to preserve anyone's mind? There's about 7 billion minds and yours is not unique in any way. When you die, someone else will be born and there's no harm done. You have to think of it globally.

How will I die? My guess is that I'll die of cardiac arrest at around the age of 70. Or I might get severely and incurably ill, then I'd probably just kill myself.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I'm immortal, so the thought of it never crossed my mind
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Madness all very good points, but you are assuming the people creating this technology don't care about money. I'm not claiming that my mind will be significant enough that anybody would care to preserve it other than myself. That being said I'll just have to throw some money into the equation after years of saving and interst accumulation. Then I will be able to afford the upload.

By the way you seem like only man who took this topic seriously about how you will die cool.
God Bless America
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I'm thinkin there's a big issue with that kind of technology. It's not legal to use humans for testing as far as I know.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

I will die in a room full of people who are singing in transcendental ecstasy. Their reaction to my death will be with utmost understanding of the mysticism connected to death, and as such, my transcendence will occur with smooth precision into the state of niirguna. Previously to that I will have had made a speech to the group, that makes it quite clear, in retro- or parallelo-temporal-futuro-conception, that I'm saying good-bye and smacking my lips.

Edit:
And I might add that the singing will go on blissfully for days after my departure, where the participants will, among other things, process my death. That process is rather one of enjoyment of the awe of the majesty, rather than mourning.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

Btw, Madness got it all wrong.

One of the basic principles of nature is diversity. That's why you'll never find two identical beings. And there is reason for remaining after death, though not in such a mundane way as a second life character. Beings like the Gautama Buddha made their imprints and remain still today, through telepathic vibration where aspirants can glide in the beauty of the ways that he paved. This is at the core of the purpose of existence.
-
-
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Ribot I really enjoyed reading your belief on how you will die. You turned a dark taboo subject into a meaningful, poetic, and beautiful forseen experience. Has anybody else thought of how they might die?
God Bless America
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I think it's gonna rain when I die
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Lousku wrote:If your mind is uploaded onto a robot, it would probably not be you, but a copy with all your memories. So you'd be dead just the same.
you could replace your neurons and synapses one by one with engineered equivalent that can then interface and upload to computer and back, first day you replace x neurons, then next day little more and so on, at what point are you not you anymore?
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Vermin Supreme wrote:
Lousku wrote:If your mind is uploaded onto a robot, it would probably not be you, but a copy with all your memories. So you'd be dead just the same.
you could replace your neurons and synapses one by one with engineered equivalent that can then interface and upload to computer and back, first day you replace x neurons, then next day little more and so on, at what point are you not you anymore?
One way to look at teh is you already die every moment and the next version just has the previous version's memories. But fuck do I know.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

My shuttle will crash onto an unknown planet...

I will die after choking with food, several years later.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

i will die happy
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Interesting spin on the question of "how will you die?" jblaze. I didn't expect it to be answered with an adjective like "happy", but rather with verbs and nouns, like "choking on an apple". If I answer it like jblaze then I would say I will die numb. My comatose body that dies after the mind upload will not be able to feel anything. Of course you may die happy in a long term sense, but then again when we die that pure instant of death might be some intense pain and all you are thinking is adrenaline and "oh shit oh fuck ahhhh!!!" and then dead. But I don't like to think of it like that either, old people deal with pain with an interior of self control that has armored numerous years of pain and experience already, they can have pain and die with a final thought most likely, "okay, it's time to go, it's been good". if mind uploading doesn't happen in the next 70 years I like to think I will go in peace, but truthfully I am afraid of the idea of the eternity, finality, and inevitability of nonexistence, not pain. I am afraid of dying with that fear that after I am dead there is a sea of abysmal nothingness so deep and dark our minds cannot fathom it, conversely our minds cannot comprehend the awesomeness and colossal time of infinity or foreverness, it's a curious thing, to rather die and experience nothingness, or be immortal and experience foreverness. You can't dream, imagine, or conceptually understand what nothing or forever really is, only the dead know. Anybody who claims they know what happens after death is lying or in denial, but my belief is that there is forever nothing.
God Bless America
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I recently heard this interesting idea. Sometimes a person can sleep just for five minutes, but when they wake up and you tell them the time they are like "what the heck, my dream was at least a few hours long!". Some people think that something very similar happens to people when they die. We've all heard the stories about people remembering their whole lives in like 2 seconds at the moment of death. So it kind of seems like there is this weird condition where when you're in a very deep and special kind of sleep, your brain can kind of bend time or at least your perception of it. And it is possible that the moment of death will feel really really long to you and you might experience a whole imaginary life during it, if not several.

Here's the original post: http://web.archive.org/web/201304102213 ... al-atheism
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Uploading your memory like that is a tricky thing. You said it yourself, after upload succesdfully done youll put body away. But then, how can it be you? The copy is just a copy, assume body wasnt terminated. Also, uploaded memory (wrong word maybe) could then be copied, twisted etc. Only wsy I see keeping yourself would be to actually keep brain/head alive somehow, and new body if thsts even needed. There seem to be some kind of continue issue when you talk about "the self"

A classic example: you have a boat. Each plank/board eventually gets changed, one by one. Every nail or screw has been changed. Is it still the same boat? Also, if someone saved all discarded planks/boards (parts) and then after every part was replaced, took all old and assembled them as they oncce originally were, would tgat be "the" boat? Are there two boats that is the same? Which is the original.

Saving ppls memories wont happen anytime soon I think. Not legally anywsy. Many new tech stuff opens up new moral dilemmas. And much of thst work is ppl going over ethics with it, same with new drugs etc.

Ill die of cancer or hsppily as an old man living in the woods by a lake. Probably.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Koo
Kuski

Post by Koo »

Peacefully.
Once I didn't know what poo meant =D
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

I was planning to live forever.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Maybe, I don't really wanna know, how your garden grows, cause I just wanna fly
Lately, did you ever feel the pain, in the morning rain, that just sulks you to the bone
ToMaT
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I might see me procrastinating going to hospital because im in the middle of a hoyl session, then when I get decent time, I drink a celebrational can of coke and die with a satisfying feeling of a run people will be amazed by in generations to come.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

gimp wrote:Ribot I really enjoyed reading your belief on how you will die. You turned a dark taboo subject into a meaningful, poetic, and beautiful forseen experience. Has anybody else thought of how they might die?
You know, that taboo can be something really useful. There was a wise guy who said that everything you do should be done with the spirit that it's the last thing you do before you die. That guy also considered death to be something like a friend.

It's really a good way to get rid of pettiness when making important choices in life. Also, when death pays a visit is one of the few times that people get real.
-
-
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

Mawane wrote:this shouldnt be in advertizing :/
yeah, i agree
[carebox]