Nostalgic for old times

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Airplane
Beginner kuski

Nostalgic for old times

Post by Airplane »

Hi

I´ve been thinking about elma nowadays, the most awesome game I used to play quite actively from 2005, which I stopped about 1 year ago due to lack of interest about this game anymore. I deleted all, and decided to never play this again. From the beginning I didn´t know elma scene at all, I recall I loved this game the most around 2006-2007, that was really nice period because the scene was much more alive. I remember how every week at school I perseveringly pursued new updates on moposite. Especially WR updates, which I remember used to be every week, and there were always many gorgeous wrs. I aspired long time to get at least into the World total times top500, which was cool motivation for me, and I managed to get 46 total time in the half of 2008 and was waiting for new update, which seemed never coming up. After all it finally came up on 13th Juny 2009, but my total time hasn´t unfortunately appeared there for some reason and new update wasn´t going to happen, which made me lose any motivation to play somhow more. Moposite used to be the most significant part of Elma imho, and it´s dead.

I´ve returned now again to see if things went up and I see it´s even much worse. The number of players interested in the game has decreased a lot, also this forum is almost dead, and other things likewise. Belma is not what it used to be, Eol.., World Cups.., nothing. The current elma scene = Emptiness, nothingness, desertedness, just debris of scene from the past. I admire players who still play and especially new players (if there are some), because I realise I would never start playing this game if I found this at the present time.

Now I just reminisce about nice times what I experienced earlier with elma. It was really nice, and I´m sad Elma has died.
:|
Lukazz
36mins club

Re: Nostalgic for old times

Post by Lukazz »

hi berh.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Lukazz wrote:hi berh.
kinda
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Airplane wrote:[...]Belma is not what it used to be [...]
I don't remember ever seeing you on Belma.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

and cool that you read whole lauta throughout before posting anything.
Airplane
Beginner kuski

Post by Airplane »

Pawq, I never said I read whole lauta. Though I was visiting from time to time, just never bothered to register. And I´ve really noticed lauta way declining in comparison to years 2006-2007.
Xiphias, I never played a lot, and I never had some constant nick as well, just played from time to time for fun, but when I visited not long time ago few times, it made me leave always.
:|
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

tell some of your random nicks pls.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Belma is flooded with crap nowadays that's true. It's been like that for way too long. If EOL ever comes I guess it will be different. One can only dream.
What about some nick, yes?
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Lukazz wrote:hi berh.
hi:) i kinda agree with Submarine but what can we do, we can just observe new igges completely uninterested in elma, just foruming here. but let's not say we're completely dead, there's going on a cup right now and as for a pipe cup it's got quite many participants. belma is cool, too (i guess). let's stay tuned and head our hopes for Eol, Edq or Wcup one day...
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

abruzzi wrote:head our hopes for Eol, Edq or Wcup
too high expectations
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Well, berh, otherwise quite cool speech but hope edq never comes. Otherwise yes, lets hope. ;o
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Floppy disks to computer class in school to send in some 48 mins state <3 ah nostalgia...
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Finman, why dont you want another edq?
God Bless America
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

John understands what nostalgia is.

For me, nostalgia is playing a battle on my elma computer, making best time, running to internet computer, posting time on irc, running back to elma computer, making new best time, running back to internet computer, posting time, winning, running back to elma computer, putting rec on floppy disk, bringing back floppy to internet computer, uploading rec to mxb.dk and feeling very happy!
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

The_BoneLESS wrote:cool story
:D
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Replayed my ~50 first levels ever last night from 2 am to 4 am for max nostalgia, pwned around 85% of my PRs and missed shareware times.
:mrhat:
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

ah the old days.

the days when there was no alovolt key, whole lot of #across and most importantly #battle, actual excitement come WC time, enigma and lab pro bounces, autolevs, and trying to complete a single scorn lev.
mcleod
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

good old days when people indulged in nostalgia over the good old across days... face it, weltschmerz is from all times.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

yes if we really want to go far in the past i could tell you a story when i hadnt even played across yet i saw a guy playing it and he couldnt get past first hole in over and under :lol:

that was back in the 70s
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

Zweq wrote:yes if we really want to go far in the past i could tell you a story when i hadnt even played across yet i saw a guy playing it and he couldnt get past first hole in over and under :lol:

that was back in the 70s
mega cool story :mrgreen:

umm i couldnt past that hole in elma long time ago.. i remember that! 8)
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

For kuchitsu:

Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Cool stuff. Has anyone bought the floppy disk?)
magicman
Kuski

Post by magicman »

- When I first heard of Across was in math class, I remember picturing how it looked, man how wrong I was.
- Able to pull first first "super-brake" arrow+brake
- I remember I used to write down every internal time on a piece of paper back in ~'98/Action Super Cross.
- Calling my friends (iDeA & CoLiC) at the end of the evening and comparing our new internal times.
- Recording 'Elma Rap'.
- Making first Alo-volt in Tricks Abound. aka not super-volt =)
- Endless #across hours with MadMan and Onla during night hours. #across-stats with most average words per sentence(competing with jeppe).

I bet this list could go on for a while. Great Thread.
Team: CF || wc4 pos. 6th || tt: under 42 duno || Metallica... ImageImage
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i remeber when wow was released and magikman call mE:D at 2 am to wake me up to pley wow, i use xtC's moms credit card without money to activate account, then play all night and feel like shit next day, felt GREAT! And then i kick some nab b33n3333 from guild because he wont stop asking elma questions

remeber when got 59.37 serpents tale, that was like million years ago, maybe one of the fondest elma memories/ funest höyl nights, but obv impsy describe.

when I think about it all the funest / most nostalgy memories are from era prior to broadband ;) aka autumn 2003 for me.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I remember when starting playing wow and joining elma wow guild someone borrowed me a credit card so I could get free mont and stuff and then I was starstruck because zewman there and I was young and stupid and stuff happened so I changed servers. A few years later I played wow Zyntifox except we didn't know at first that both were elmers imo and both had almost 0 interest in elma osv dunno how we started talking about elma to figure that out osv.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

fondest memory is staring at WR table in disbelief and having no and i mean NO idea how any of the times are even remotely possible as i had played every internal for hours by then and was far ahead of my friends in terms of skill but was nowhere close relatively to any WRs. this was before discovering the best public replays page on moposite.

other memories:
first pro replay i saw was some 21 or 22 in uphill battle by zeizei. mfw: O_O
sending in times to 60+ and 50+ TT n00b WR tables
taking floppies to school to submit state.dat to moposite
getting super excited about elma 2 news on moposite and getting april fool'd
making a geocities.com drag and drop website for my nab levels
advertising elma to all latvian gaming communities i could find
making 40.low in framework, my first "world class" target time and bragging in #across
being amazed at the first version of battlebot in #battle
random people joining #battle for rap battles
darmoed being probably the friendliest guy in #across
shock at darmoed getting caught cheating
friendly internals competition in [MK]
winning my first mopobattle
39:37,91
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

where i can see old across internals?
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I remember when I got full version of elma from my cousin, and the last unlocked level there was Downhill. I thought it was the very last level, and I made it through all previous levels, and after beating downhill I was like What the Heck.
ley
Kuski

Post by ley »

when my cousin burned me elma, together with lots of other games, on a cd. i will forever be thankful for that treasure, since i probably never would have heard of the game otherwise.

i remember the first time i launched up the game. i clicked 'demo', and saw the recs from balazs or whoever. my first reaction was a heartfelt 'i am going to play this game for a long time', although then i did not know how long.

me and my little brother were not in such a hurry to finish the game, but some months later i eventually saw the last level, and from there it led me to moposite and the best-times table. i could not believe my eyes... i thought i might have had a wr or two, but i was wrong. some times were really unbelievable. it was some time -- filled with mystery -- before i could get my eyes on a pro rec for the first time.

then there were the recs from wcup 3, which we fell on. there was markku's winrec from wcup310, in particular. me and my brother were amazed by the turntrick used to go back to the flower. we nicknamed it 'markku's trick', and used the term in multiple of our discussions.

i was focused on the internals for the first hoyling year -- i would play the game for about 50 hours a day, and even more in the summer. then i went along as an externalist. i stopped in circa 2005 or 2006, when i had made lots of paxxlexx (official level packs) records to compete on the kinglist.

edit: then i published 'elastomania: the astonishment', which kind of marked my retirement from the game.
All bounces are equal, but some bounces are more equal than others.

i've just made head through poly; thought i'd share:
http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=323 http://mopolauta.moposite.com/download/file.php?id=324
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

I also can tell you how i found Action Super Cross. In Sweden we hade a paper magazine called PC För Alla (PC for everyone), and they had a CD with DOS-games. Across was one of them. Shareware version. I quickly liked the game and played like hell on my Pentium 133 mhz. This must have been around end of 1998, I'm not 100% sure.

On the CD I think it was the motorcycle and an apple printed on. Anyone else got the game that way?
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Imo me and my 3 elder brothers was competing for times in shareware version for a half a year. But did not know of any scene many years later because I had barely any knowledge about "the internet"
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Best drivers
Best driver in the this list
Be carefully
ToMaT
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

umiz wrote:I also can tell you how i found Action Super Cross. In Sweden we hade a paper magazine called PC För Alla (PC for everyone), and they had a CD with DOS-games. Across was one of them. Shareware version. I quickly liked the game and played like hell on my Pentium 133 mhz. This must have been around end of 1998, I'm not 100% sure.

On the CD I think it was the motorcycle and an apple printed on. Anyone else got the game that way?
I'm looking for old Hungarian magazine(s) which had CD with Elma shareware version, if there were any.
Do old Hungarian mans remember such magazine? Schumi, Targenor, anyone?
Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi »

PC Guru had an elma article on the CD for 3 years, it was led by MUe. I have all of them, I cane upload them if you want. GameStar had also some (led by JaM), 6 months or so. I dont have all, only a few of them.
Want that too?
Elasto Mania - 34:22.20 | #416 - 12. April 2021
Ancient Internals
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Thanks, any articles could be interesting! So, these articles were published on the CD, not on the magazine pages?
Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi »

Yes, correct. Probably I have some old scanned magazines with articles, but I have absolutely no idea where so I need time to find...
Ancient Internals
Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi »

Here is the old Elma Forever CD from MUe, for those who want nostalgic feelings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xgsk ... 5KbWM/view

iCS: The articles can be found in \Texts\Columns\ folder
Ancient Internals
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Great, thanks!
Didn't know Elma had such decent representation in any magazines.
Now I can confirm that I found the game in PC Guru 2002/04 :) Got the CD from a friend.
Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi »

Old article from 576kbyte magazine.

I know it is Hungarian, but I'll try to translate it later...
Ancient Internals
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Heh, I was looking for something like this, nice upload! The article is quite long, which is positive surprise. On the other hand, it was written in slightly annoying style.
It's funny that the writer referred to Elma as a "legendary" game already in 2001 :D
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

iCS wrote: On the other hand, it was written in slightly annoying style.

why?
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

abruzzi wrote:
iCS wrote: On the other hand, it was written in slightly annoying style.
why?
Feels like the author thought "hmm, I should write one full page about the game, but I can't more than half page... let's add more words to all sentences to make the article longer!"
But it's okay for a gaming magazine I guess.
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

I was nostalgic this day so I checked some old levels.

Quite funny to see 15 years old designer.

Look at this level from 2000-03. umiz033.lev
http://recs.zamppe.com/replays/1913/sho ... miz033umiz

Also look at my development in this level.
Level from 2020-01
http://recs.zamppe.com/replays/1914/sho ... 076_840AKB

20 years of levelmaking.
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

umiz wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 13:35 Look at this level from 2000-03. umiz033.lev
http://recs.zamppe.com/replays/1913/sho ... miz033umiz

Also look at my development in this level.
Level from 2020-01
http://recs.zamppe.com/replays/1914/sho ... 076_840AKB
haha:D

first read it as 2003 in 1st rec and 2001 in 2nd, thought real development xDD

Cool 2000-03 level. So sad that ppl cant make similar to what they was making in 2000-03. insguy made insguy01-50 and what next?:/ where are speedloops wtf?:D
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

2000 one nice too
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

to me seems more advanced than most 2000 levs also i kinda like it anyway
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created