Global Warming

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Global Warming is...

human made
33%
natural and nothing to do with the human pollution.
13%
all bull shit political talk
30%
boring
24%

Total votes: 46

Lukazz
36mins club

Re: Global Warming

Post by Lukazz »

Pawq wrote:
Pawq wrote:vegetard? O,o
foolin here
and my saing that not eating cows would be better was ironic, im a total opponent of saying that humanity has any influence on earth's climate
please explain why. it's really not that i am a global-warming-fanatic, and i don't know much about it, but i bet 99% of the people here shouting "BOOOOOOL SHIT" about everything have no fucking clue about the whole thing.

EDIT: or let's start in an easier way. what exactly do you think is bullshit? do you think it's bullshit that the amount of CO2-emissions has something to do with the temperature, or do you think it's bullshit that it's makind's fault that there is so much CO2-emission?
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

carbon dioxide exists in earth's atmosphere naturally, i think that human's increasing of co2's and other toxic gases' emission is irrelevant for the natural amount of those in the atmosphere.
Lukazz wrote:do you think it's bullshit that the amount of CO2-emissions has something to do with the temperature
yes, i think so. i think whole global warming theme is bullshit.
Lukazz wrote:bet 99% of the people here shouting "BOOOOOOL SHIT" about everything have no fucking clue about the whole thing.
i am probably part of that 1%
i have made an extensive project about global warming and ENSO around a year ago. i have then read plenty of scientific materials and labs about both phenomenons, about their authenticity, humanity's influence on them and their impact on the earth. since then my opinion about global warming is very clear, and basing on it i am not going to eat less cows or to use biogas instead of ordinary petrol.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Pawq wrote:carbon dioxide exists in earth's atmosphere naturally, i think that human's increasing of co2's and other toxic gases' emission is irrelevant for the natural amount of those in the atmosphere.
Lukazz wrote:do you think it's bullshit that the amount of CO2-emissions has something to do with the temperature
eh, pls explain this: http://www.klima-retter.de/images/CO2undTemperatur.gif
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

You can't believe yourself that those 0,00x % of CO2 produced by humans has that big impact on global warming.
And BTW: The less cows you eat, the more increases the amount of them = More CO2 ! xD
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Madness wrote:You can't believe yourself that those 0,00x % of CO2 produced by humans has that big impact on global warming.
1. "you can't believe that blablabla" is not an argument.
2. things like cows and rain forest clearence produce CO2-emissions, that are not directly produced by humans, but it's still their fault.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Lukazz wrote:
Pawq wrote:carbon dioxide exists in earth's atmosphere naturally, i think that human's increasing of co2's and other toxic gases' emission is irrelevant for the natural amount of those in the atmosphere.
eh, pls explain this: http://www.klima-retter.de/images/CO2undTemperatur.gif
That graph is an AL GORE BULLSHIT. Omfg !

Have you read about variations in solar activity, global climate cycles, warming and cooling periods, natural phenomenons... ? The worlds climate is nothing like a greenhouse !
There's 0,038 % of CO2 in atmosphere from which 99.7 % is due to natural causes. Eliminating human activity wouldn't have any major impact on climate change. It's all about money.

Get some sensual reading instead of Al Gore brainwasher.
http://www.sciencebits.com/NothingNewUnderTheSun-I
http://www.sciencebits.com/NothingNewUnderTheSun-II
http://www.sciencebits.com/NothingNewUnderTheSun-III
Morgan
36mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Morgan »

saying the humans activity affects global warming is stupiest thing ive ever heard
Image TT - 36:53.16 || 17 Polish Records || SPEED
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

why should i believe this graph more than the one i found? btw. i just googled for "temperature + CO2 + graph" and that's the first pic i found. what i wanted to say is, that i don't know anything about the whole thing and that's why i just don't care anymore. i'm not an expert and neither is anyone of you guys here. if not even the experts have the same opinion, how can i know what's actually right? i was just acting pro-global-warming because almost everyone here said it's total bullshit.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Nice storm in Southern Finland :)

Personally I don't give a shit about the climate as it's not going to stop humanity before I'm dead (though that wouldn't be so horrible either 8)).

My question: why do YOU care?
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

in the 70'ies there was Global Cooling ...
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Al Gore
Beginner kuski

Post by Al Gore »

Global warming is a serious problem which is human-made absolutely (proven by British scientists). If we won't solve it, we will get to the big troubles.
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Al Gore wrote:Global warming is a serious problem which is human-made absolutely (proven by British scientists). If we won't solve it, we will get to the big troubles.
not as epic as bill gates' one
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

Mawane wrote:
Al Gore wrote:Global warming is a serious problem which is human-made absolutely (proven by British scientists). If we won't solve it, we will get to the big troubles.
not as epic as bill gates' one
+10
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

no time for longer answer luki, ill do it eveninges, but your graph is funyn xd
i will expand this i promise
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Pawq wrote:no time for longer answer luki, ill do it eveninges, but your graph is funyn xd
i will expand this i promise
if you want so. but don't expect an answer of me where i try to prove global warming. ;D
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

It makes me a bit sad how people really think this thing is bullshit. Hence a longer post.
Madness wrote:Have you read about variations in solar activity, global climate cycles, warming and cooling periods, natural phenomenons... ?
Those things are real but you must be able to set things to correct scales and have some sense of proportion. That kind of natural things have caused much bigger changes than we are experiencing now but the timescales have been hugely larger than some 100 years. Lifting Earth's middle temperature with let's say 1 degree requires absorbing huge amounts of sun's thermal energy. (There has been big changes in a small time in the history too but they have been due to some big volcano activity etc. And you can't btw blame volcanos on a long term since the same CO2 they emit eventually accummulates to the bottom of the sea as some carbonates etc and then evetually after some hundreds of million years will be erupted from a volcano again.)
Madness wrote:The worlds climate is nothing like a greenhouse !
Sorry but this makes you look like you don't know anything about this subject. xd Earth indeed can be linked to a greenhouse - without greenhouse gases Earth's temperature would be something like 30 degrees lower and that is simply a fact. It doesn't have anything to say against. I wrote a more detailed post about this long time ago in the beginning of this topic, go to see =)
Madness wrote:There's 0,038 % of CO2 in atmosphere from which 99.7 % is due to natural causes. Eliminating human activity wouldn't have any major impact on climate change. It's all about money.
Let's start thinking this from that fact that without any interruptions CO2 amounts are constant during a small time sequence. CO2 is being produced all the time (organs decompose, animals exhale, forests burn etc) but all the time as big amount is also absorbed (plants photosynthesize, CO2 is absorbed to the seas etc). Stuff is in balance. But let's imagine that CO2 is increased with 1% (very possible, your numbers seem small). Now still 99% of all CO2 is by nature but still there can be a detectable change. Let's calculate it roughly: we can estimate the relation between CO2 amounts and global temperature to be linear, we can roughly calculate that the global temperature's raise because we know that without CO2 temperatures would be 30 degrees less. Therefore the raise would be 0,01 x 30 degrees = 0,3 degrees. But the relation doybtly is linear. Actually in many things small change can cause big effects. Also in this CO2 case a small change easily strentghens itself. Reasons for this are plenty. A small change in CO2 amounts raise the temperature a bit which causes:

-amounts of ice in the Earth's poles will decrease and less sunlight will be reflected
-sea temperatures will raise and make seawater's CO2 solubility worse (a simple fact) and CO2 will be emitted from the seas
-big permafrost areas in Siberia will melt and start decomposing
-deserts will expand

So a 1% change easily strentghtens itself and doublty is left to be 0,3 degrees. And actually the time required to the change is hugely more than 100 years, especially the warmage of the seas takes it's time. But basically on a long term the 1% could lead to a chain reaction (small change of CO2 causes more change in CO2 which causes more change...) until 100% of the atmosphere is CO2 (this is a case in Venus which is hundreds of degrees hotter than what it would be without CO2). Luckily this won't happen easily here because there are also many things that compensates these changes. Increased photosynthesis is one (which we btw interrupt with deforestration).

This can happen to the other direction also: a decrease in CO2 can lead a chain reaction that annihilates all CO2. Actually there have been periods where the whole Earth has been covered with ice - much more serious case than the small ice age 10000 years ago. Only some really huge volcanic eruptions saved Earth then.

Anyway I'm not that those really extreme examples are likely to happen - I think humankind has now enough power to stop the changes if things really start going serious. But we should start stopping already these relatively small changes. I think the main problem is overpopulation. Big population with poorness easily causes deforestration, which I think to be the biggest reason for the climate change (you can think forests to be huge CO2-demolishermachines). Already dozens of percentages of forests have been extinguished. China's one child / family -system might be questionable in human rights way but otherwise it's very effective and exemplary - the same system should go for most 3rd world countries. Some 2 billion persons would be nice amount to inhabitant the Earth. I think that Finland is pretty good example - we have so little people in our area that most of our land is forests but then again we have enough people and technology to take care from all our forest which makes them healthy and excellent sink for CO2. Even though we produce hugely paper and wood for other world too our forest's mass increases every year. Our forests are in so healthy condition that you can see the difference to Russia's forests from satellite photos - our side seems much greener.
Also, of course, getting energy more from solar energy and nuclear energy etc instead of fossil fuels would be better (fossil fuels suck anyway, they produce much more schaisse than only CO2 too). And also eating less meat etc would be better but once again breeding less would be much more effective.
Madness wrote:Get some sensual reading instead of Al Gore brainwasher.
I've actually never read anything by Al Gore and actually I don't really trust most climate change professionals. Especially if there's some news about some computer model that indicates something. There's big money in the global warming research and it attracs also many noob researchers that make shit results. This thing is too complicated. Especially politicians are always really stupid in this kind of things.

But I believe things you can clearly see yourself and think yourself. For some reasons the warming seems to touch most easily the poles of the Earth. And there does exist some pictures from 100 years ago where there are a lot of ice and snow in the mountains etc. But nowdays the same places are completely iceless even at winter. It's detectable in Finland too.
Also 100 years is way too short time for natural climate changes. Also undoublty human actions have increased the CO2 amounts (no matter if they are small comparing to nature's ones) and there haven't been extraordinary volcaninc activity lately. I would count 1+1 to be 2 here no matter what any scientist says.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

That's just speculations.

You are all the time refering to global warming in consequence of CO2. That's bullshit, CO2 is not that significant as they're trying to pound into our heads, there are soo much bigger natural factors than CO2 that we can't affect. I'm not saying humans have no influence in climate changes, but this matter is just exaggerated.

There's a forecast that there will be strong solar maximum in 2011-2013 and will last for several years, so it might be a bit hot here, but no panic, ok ? Warming and cooling periods are nothing extraordinary.
Morgan
36mins club

Post by Morgan »

forcing countries to spend billions euros for building climat-friendly powerstations or using some filters on exhaust stacks is stupid also. that is one of priorites for european union lately :|
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Madness wrote:That's just speculations.

You are all the time refering to global warming in consequence of CO2. That's bullshit, CO2 is not that significant as they're trying to pound into our heads, there are soo much bigger natural factors than CO2 that we can't affect. I'm not saying humans have no influence in climate changes, but this matter is just exaggerated.

There's a forecast that there will be strong solar maximum in 2011-2013 and will last for several years, so it might be a bit hot here, but no panic, ok ? Warming and cooling periods are nothing extraordinary.
World's temperature is pretty much a function of two things: it's surface's ability to reflect sunlight instead of absorbing it and atmosphere's ability to absorb infrared radiation (which greenhouse gases does). And the biggest impact humankind has there is in increasing amount of greenhouse gases and especially CO2. Other important greenhouse gases are water vapour (to which humans don't really affect expect with aeroplanes that create it when they fly) and methane (which humans affect a bit with for example growing much cows). But CO2 amount is the one that's the most easy to increase. Everything that is burned turns into CO2, for example oil and forests.

And solar cycles really doesn't affect on a long term. I was speaking from a 100-year-interval and solar cycles are some 10 years long. I once again say that world is now warmer than 100 years ago (especially clear this is on arctic areas) and that's too short interval for any natural factors (what did you mean with them?) to cause so big changes. I think human's actions are the only possible solution to this issue. If you see what world used to be 2000 years ago and what it is now the change is enormous, humans have changed the landscape totally in major part of the world. How is it an impossible idea that it really doesn't affect climate too?
Morgan wrote:forcing countries to spend billions euros for building climat-friendly powerstations or using some filters on exhaust stacks is stupid also. that is one of priorites for european union lately :|
Filters etc aren't very stupid. I think it's lal how there in Poland you still filter very little. xd Finnish factories have invested much more to things like that.
Morgan
36mins club

Post by Morgan »

nick-o-matic wrote:
Morgan wrote:forcing countries to spend billions euros for building climat-friendly powerstations or using some filters on exhaust stacks is stupid also. that is one of priorites for european union lately :|
Filters etc aren't very stupid. I think it's lal how there in Poland you still filter very little. xd Finnish factories have invested much more to things like that.
i think there are many other much better ways to spend that billions euros
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

FU NOM
damn
im going to reply after i manage to read that 10000page post. maybe in a year, cya
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Morgan wrote:i think there are many other much better ways to spend that billions euros
I don't know your situation really well but if the filters will have significant effect to whole Poland's emissions it doesn't sound so bad way to spend money.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

"permafrost" areas disappearing according to the media. Which medias are trustable? I suppose everyone agrees having less ice on the earth affects on the amount of reflected sun energy, the melted ice then in liquid form absorbing more thermal energy. How much does it affect in the very end? Is the melting only still part of "recovering" from the latest glacial age? Are we all going to burn in hell? I'm not very educated in this topic. Hell I'm not very educated in any topic. But what do I really think about global warming? maybe there is such, maybe there isnt, however the earth remains habitable long enough for the people with brains to find out if other habitable planets are realistically reachable. If they're not, we're fucked eventually :)
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Nice post nom :* I had been wanting to write something here, but didn't really have any good arguments.
Morgan wrote:saying the humans activity affects global warming is stupiest thing ive ever heard
Pawq wrote:FU NOM
damn
im going to reply after i manage to read that 10000page post. maybe in a year, cya
Yep good arguments, I'm convinced now.... ;)
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

But ANYWAYS, for those who want Acopalypce, like me, I hope Global Warming will fuck up everything like doing an iceage. That would, like in battlefield 2142 or smth, make a WW cuz of overpopulation in livable areas.
Morgan
36mins club

Post by Morgan »

i found some pro graph in google o,o
ye human made CO2 affect global warming
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i'd really like some stats about what CO2-emission is considered human-made and which not. because graphs like the one you posted are totally useless without this information.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Morgan wrote:i found some pro graph in google o,o
oh common.
if i find some graph that at least look like it could be made by experts at google --> "WTF AL GORE BRAINWASHING BULLSHIT OLOLOL"
if you find some graph that looks like some 8-year-old made it in 10 seconds in paint --> "OMFG I PROVED GLOBAL WARMING WRONG!"
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

Its all just speculations, don't trust anything.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Now this is what i would call a "heated" debate. :lol:
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

buahaha nice joke! =D

I read a bit through, and it seems nom knows a great deal about this. Still, that doesn't make him right. But you guys should at least respond to his argument that the really minor humanmade CO2 exhaustion still has it effect on the climate, however small it seems to be compared to the natural exhaust. I haven't seen any adequate reply to that. Nom elaborately explained how he thinks the balance of earth functions, and why that would make seem global warming plausible as a consequence of human behaviour, but all he gets is 'will read later' and 'still don't believe', which are unrational ways of dealing with a discussion. The topic will that way probably be soon dead.

Nom, could you explain why this whole discussion is so unclear from the start anyway? I could imagine parties having short term priorities that out of an interest on an economic basis defy the existence of such a thing as global warming, but I believe the same controversy around the subject is to be found in the scientific area, which would suggest ambiguous test results and a less-than-obvious greenhouse effect. Or is it just that economic interest blurs out the real truth in this, like some people (Al Gore?) suggested.

I know for a fact that the deforestation is real and truly has a disastrous effect on the local climate. Why is it so hard to prove for the worldwide ecosphere (is that a word even?), that is my question.
Kazeta
Kuski

Post by Kazeta »

U ARE BACK ALREADY?
TT: 47:40,88
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

heah I never said I wouldn't come back or leave for good or quit or continue playing or anything. All I said is that I would be slowly fading out from the scene and that's what is going to happen. Besides, that's not a satisfactory response to my post.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i guess global warming won the discussion.