What Do You Want In Externals?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Juble
Hat tricker

What Do You Want In Externals?

Post by Juble »

Yes what do you want in external levels?

I do not want gravity Apples
Looks good
Good Playablity
Flyrre
Kuski

Post by Flyrre »

I want the level to have many different style possibillities :wink:
[GF] ;)
2fast
Kuski

Post by 2fast »

nice looking,fun to hoyl,not too long or not too hard.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

>I like tunnel-levels with lots of possible styles. (not pipes)
>Not too many pictures but a lot of grass. :D
>The lev must be hoylable.
>Not so hard that u complete it one time and never again.
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

very hard and very long levs :lol:

fun to play
good looking...
no radim lev making thingie :P
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

- Several styles
- Fun to play and höyl
- Grass (no need for pics as I am using highq.lgr)
- Short to medium lenght (not over 1:30 mins)
- Not too hard
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

hehe i want funky gaps/stunts
nice looking
nice bumps
different ways/styles not necessary
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

It depends on what kind of level it is.

Battle levels:
1. Different styles
2. Höylability, by which I mean that you can continue to improve your time for at least 20 minutes

Contest levels:
I also want point 1 and 2 here, and also:
3. At least one huge trick that you will have to play for a while to get right
4. Length between 30 seconds and 1 minute

Cruising levels (like LOM):
5. Low difficulty
6. Good-looking
7. Cool styles and tricks

All of the levels should have grass and different textures, other pictures are unimportant since I can't see them anyway. The most important point for all levels is that there is something that brings you back, even after you've finished the level for the first time. Secret areas are a good example.
Jonas
Kuski

Post by Jonas »

I don´t get this with secret areas....who the fuck cares if there are a secret area on the level?....not me =)...I play the level to finsih it not to get to a stupid sign :)
TT: 43:18:94 Jonas [GF]
Flyrre
Kuski

Post by Flyrre »

Jonas wrote:I don´t get this with secret areas....who the fuck cares if there are a secret area on the level?....not me =)...I play the level to finsih it not to get to a stupid sign :)
Hehe, I here you haven´t played Skint´s levels! You get quite happy when you manage to reach some of his secret areas :P
[GF] ;)
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Everybody says they want different styles. Me too, in a way, but what I mean is: The designer shouldn't make any obvoius styles at all.

How you get to the apples and flower should be up to the player, not the designer, even though the designer of course should make sure it's possible to finish the level.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

I agree completely with zworqy. I think one of the problems with contests aiming to be like the internals (e.g OLP) is that the designer has planned the sick styles in the level for the player.
The great thing about the internals is that they were made by "n00bs", the sick styles that have showed up have appeared because the designer didn't even think that they would be possible. When you're making levels, don't plan how the level should be played, just made a rough outline of the route.
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

1. SECRET AREAS !!
2. not too short, not too long (not tutor length and not new wave / serpents tale length)
3. making you feel like proffesional :P
4. super-ultra-mega-fun-to-hoyl
5. internal-style (grass & pics in the right places, normal polygons etc)
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

Well, i mostly get addicted on external level (talking about contest kind of playing), if it's averagely sized, meaning not much over 1 min, best lenght is around 30-50s. Also, it makes hoyling much more enjoyable if the level also looks nice. Grass as a must, of course, and decent amount of pictures, but not on critical places where they might disturb you. I tend to create only 500+ distance pics nowadays so that the bike doesn't go behind the pics, that's annoying.
Some of you say they like to have levels where the main route is not obvious, and it has alot of styles; well, that is basically true. But i don't like levels either which has way too many style variations, like apple harvest (as extreme example). Also all annoying elements like falling trough killers are.. well, annoying. :)
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

dz wrote:Some of you say they like to have levels where the main route is not obvious, and it has alot of styles; well, that is basically true. But i don't like levels either which has way too many style variations, like apple harvest (as extreme example).
Agreed. Apple Harvest is an example of too little effort put into a level by the maker. Just throw up a bunch of random polygons, test it for a while, and you're finished. Apple Harvest has lots of different styles, but the styles are too hard to find. That makes the level annoying to play.
dz wrote:Also all annoying elements like falling trough killers are.. well, annoying. :)
I'd say that killers in general are annoying.
Juble
Hat tricker

Post by Juble »

MagnusB wrote: The great thing about the internals is that they were made by "n00bs", the sick styles that have showed up have appeared because the designer didn't even think that they would be possible. When you're making levels, don't plan how the level should be played, just made a rough outline of the route.
The thing is people play internals(hours at a time). but do you play externals the same. Its like an honour to get a WR in an internal is the same for an external also.
And if the internals were externals on some personal site would people play them as much to find styles and constanly beat times every week(mostly).

Back on the topic. Gotta have grass (except Insane Guys Levels, good without grass).