Best Browser? [Poll reset with new options 2010/01/22]

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Which is the best browser?

Apple Safari
No votes
Google Chrome
29%
Microsoft Internet Explorer
4%
Mozilla Firefox
47%
Netscape Navigator
No votes
Opera
19%
Other...
1%

Total votes: 79

Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Re: Best Browser? [Poll reset with new options 2010/01/22]

Post by Grace »

nabfuck school installed netscape and removed all others.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

We were talking in #stats about how awesome netscape is just yesterday.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

opera with 23 tabs open, fierfox with 7 tabs

ff is overrated piece of shit and crome is like iphone its smooth design bla bla but it has as many features as windows notepad
and to all those who use firefox just beacaus of downthemall, opera has this integrated, goto link panel, select stuff and right clik and save to download folder
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Like I said, I hate this kind of discussion where everyone just yells random things and never listens to the others' arguments. It's kinda like arguing with religious people, because in a way everyone "believes" in their own browser.

23 tabs in firefox is for me roughly 150kB; twice as much as Opera. But that's fine! Because it doesn't affect me. Firefox has everything I need, and I mean everything, and I know it by heart, and I know where I can find everything etc. Firefox is perfect for me. It doesn't matter that opera requires half as much ram, because half of nothing is also nothing.

Now someone is probably gonna ignore everything I just said and probably just yell some other badongo argument, like "firefox crashes randomly on me it sux:!1!1"

Ok, it might crash on you, but it doesn't for me. If it did I would obviously not use it. No, Firefox works perfectly for me, hence I see no reason to use another browser. You can say all you want, but until I, myself, find Firefox to be bad, or until there comes a browser that wows me in a completely different way, I'll just use the browser that I know and love.

By all means try and prove me wrong, I'm just saying I won't change my mind for some minor detail that doesn't really affect me. No, jon, not even "Opera remembers my password in a "better" way".
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

ok some things that suck about firefox
it is slower than opera, it renders html wrong sometimes, it takes a shitload of memory, it has few features and little customizability, the password rememberer is annyoing (when i save my pasword on a site it auto saves paswords on the same site where form fields have the same names, so for exampel in my site i saved paswrod with ff, and later tryed to change acc setings, and ff ofc "rememberd" passworfd there too, and thats fine but wehn i try to erase the pasword it automaticaly re remembers it as if i didnt mean to erase it), it puts dotted rectangles around every link you clikc even if its an image wich looks ugly, it hasnt any scripting posibilities, you cant paste a file path in the upload form fields and you cant edit source code and update the page with it in real time like in opera
i coud mention more but its obviously not even needed
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

I totally understand you Igge. I've heard that kind of talking from Firefox users too, that I should switch to Firefox blabla and it is very annoying. I can accept people using other browsers than Opera, but they should be aware of the fact that I probably know the features of each browser much better than they do, and still I've chosen to use Opera so there is no point trying to tell me of those great Firefox extensions and shit. Opera doesn't have those (well, 11 beta does) but it has everything I need. Just like Chrome can have everything someone else needs. But it is very annoying hear/read comments like "But Firefox is better because it has [insert feature here which also Opera has]."

One's best is not always the other's best.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Haruhi wrote:nabfuck school installed netscape and removed all others.
wise to use a browser that hasn't had an update in 2½ years ;D "support for all Netscape browsers and client products was terminated on March 1, 2008"
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

jonharkulsykkel wrote:ok some things that suck about firefox
it is slower than opera, it renders html wrong sometimes, it takes a shitload of memory, it has few features and little customizability, the password rememberer is annyoing (when i save my pasword on a site it auto saves paswords on the same site where form fields have the same names, so for exampel in my site i saved paswrod with ff, and later tryed to change acc setings, and ff ofc "rememberd" passworfd there too, and thats fine but wehn i try to erase the pasword it automaticaly re remembers it as if i didnt mean to erase it), it puts dotted rectangles around every link you clikc even if its an image wich looks ugly, it hasnt any scripting posibilities, you cant paste a file path in the upload form fields and you cant edit source code and update the page with it in real time like in opera
Nothing of what you just said has ever bothered me. Sure, if it bothers you by all means use Opera. I'm just saying I've never noticed or been bothered by any of the things you just said.

VilleJ, I'm sure Opera is better than firefox. It's probably better in a lot of ways. I simply don't care, because I'm 100% happy with firefox anyway. There is nothing "I wish I could do" with my firefox that I can't, and therefore I see no reason to switch browser.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

jonharkulsykkel wrote: it has few features and little customizability,
raffled.

Igge and Lousku are right. You will always support your own child because you can't see the flaws as easily. It's like a kind of Patriotism.

I will say that more often i see firefox users that are close-minded, but i believe that's just because the masses use firefox.

I use chrome because it's the fastest and my internet is shit, i live in Australia, you can understand.
Image Cyberscore! Image
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

Igge wrote:
jonharkulsykkel wrote:ok some things that suck about firefox
Nothing of what you just said has ever bothered me. Sure, if it bothers you by all means use Opera. I'm just saying I've never noticed or been bothered by any of the things you just said.

VilleJ, I'm sure Opera is better than firefox. It's probably better in a lot of ways. I simply don't care, because I'm 100% happy with firefox anyway. There is nothing "I wish I could do" with my firefox that I can't, and therefore I see no reason to switch browser.
nothing wrong with that but this is what is the best browser topic not what browser igge likes topic

Haruhi wrote:
jonharkulsykkel wrote: it has few features and little customizability,
raffled.

Igge and Lousku are right. You will always support your own child because you can't see the flaws as easily. It's like a kind of Patriotism.

I will say that more often i see firefox users that are close-minded, but i believe that's just because the masses use firefox.

I use chrome because it's the fastest and my internet is shit, i live in Australia, you can understand.
that is ridiculus i dont even think about opera being norwegian when i use it and also: opera has the best feature for speeding up slow conections its caled opera turbo
lousku only uses crome to annoy me he even said it
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Igge wrote:VilleJ, I'm sure Opera is better than firefox. It's probably better in a lot of ways. I simply don't care, because I'm 100% happy with firefox anyway. There is nothing "I wish I could do" with my firefox that I can't, and therefore I see no reason to switch browser.
Well, I was not trying to say it is better in any way. Quite the opposite that "better" is not that simple. But it suits me the best just like Firefox suits you. Also nothing that jon mentioned has affected me when I chose Opera. I'm sure there are also flaws in it but they're not that relevant to me.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Haruhi wrote:
jonharkulsykkel wrote:Igge and Lousku are right. You will always support your own child because you can't see the flaws as easily. It's like a kind of Patriotism.
that is ridiculus i dont even think about opera being norwegian when i use it
:D
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

It was an analogy.

"Patriotism is your conviction that your country is better than others because you were born in it."

Just like.

"Browserism is your conviction that your net browser is better than others because you use it."

Yes, firefox has flaws. Opera has flaws, Chrome has flaws.

Igge prefers Firefox because he prefers firefox, he doesn't need to be able to live edit source code, so why does that matter to him?

Likewise, i prefer Chrome because i prefer Chrome, i don't need to have some fancy ass bookmarking system when i have a one-click bookmark that i can ALWAYS see and works fine for me?

You prefer Opera because it has these tasty features which you so desire, but i don't need them so i don't give a fuck :D
Image Cyberscore! Image
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

firefox is fast like fire and a fox, you can't beat that!!110
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

Igge wrote:
Haruhi wrote:
jonharkulsykkel wrote:Igge and Lousku are right. You will always support your own child because you can't see the flaws as easily. It's like a kind of Patriotism.
that is ridiculus i dont even think about opera being norwegian when i use it
:D
swaping our quotes and replying ":D" is also good argument
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Swapping was unintentional (many quotes to quote ez to mix up :(). The argument is as relevant to this topic as yours are to me. Note: to me.

I agree with Kopaka though. The built-in steam browser is hands down the best. End of discussion.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

Igge wrote:Note: to me.
ookokkok this proves again that you think this topik is about what everyones arguments mean to igge note: to igge.

i have to agree with kopa tho about steam browser
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Another Analogy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujUQn0HhGEk

And the last line pretty much sums this whole argument up perfectly.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I still think "to me" is a valid point in a discussion like this, since it revolves heavily around what a user personally wants in their browser. I think elma is a better game than world of warcraft because I like it for what it is, but if you were to remain 100% objective, elma is a fakcing crap game compared to wow.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

ok this is you: "firefox is best to me because i dont like functionality, security, speed or properly coded programs"
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

If that's what you need, then sure. I'd rather put it: Firefox is the best to me because it has everything I need.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

ehm lulz
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

jonharkulsykkel wrote:ok this is you: "firefox is best to me because i dont like functionality, security, speed or properly coded programs"
So on that note, this is you: "Opera is best to me because i dont like simplicity, speed, functionality or customisation.
Image Cyberscore! Image
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

Haruhi wrote:
jonharkulsykkel wrote:ok this is you: "firefox is best to me because i dont like functionality, security, speed or properly coded programs"
So on that note, this is you: "Opera is best to me because i dont like simplicity, speed, functionality or customisation.
ok only one of those are actualy something opera doesnt have, simplicity, and i dont want that i want a browser packed with so many features that it almost wins internet all by itself
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

I actually changed back to Firefox. I realised Chrome doesn't have so wide range of extensions that I need. Especially I had a problem with adblock extension in Chrome. When enabled, pictures loaded very slow. I tested this many times. Adblock is probably the most important extension for me. Some of today's ads are super annoying.

On the other hand, Chrome was clearly faster. I hope the upcoming Firefox 4 will come closer to Chrome in this category (haven't downloaded beta).
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Chrome is the best for me because I don't give a shit about the things Jon listed (they have never affected my browsing), it has no flaws and it's way faster than Opera in my usage. Example: if I visited omgy.com/snajdog.jpg 2 months ago, Chrome will find it instantly when I type "snajdog" in the adress field. With Opera I would have to search for it from scratch all over again. In this way Opera is really inconvenient. I know Firefox is the same as Chrome in this way but I had other reasons for switching from it.

There is no objectively best browser.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

jonharkulsykkel wrote:
Haruhi wrote:
ok only one of those are actualy something opera doesnt have, simplicity, and i dont want that i want a browser packed with so many features that it almost wins internet all by itself
Opera is slower than Chrome, has less functionality than Firefox and has less customisation than both Chrome and Firefox
Image Cyberscore! Image
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

Haruhi wrote:
jonharkulsykkel wrote:
Haruhi wrote:
Opera is slower than Chrome, has less functionality than Firefox and has less customisation than both Chrome and Firefox
hm seems like you havent used opera at all :0
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Gaddame i love that about firefox as well. I needn't even have searched for it before. Say I for some reason want to find out about a movie, "bulli dulli". I just type "bulli dulli" or "bulli dulli wikipedia" in url bar and it finds. Only typing the name of a movie "bulli dulli" will pretty much always redirect to imdb page.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

opera has this too, but doesnt work with image files for some reason and thats wat lousku was talking about
if i wanted to find bulli dulli i woud find in 3 sec
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

So image files are the only files it doesn't find from history? That seems unlikely. I couldn't test this much because there was no way to import Firefox history into Opera. Chrome imported it automatically.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

LousQ wrote:So image files are the only files it doesn't find from history? That seems unlikely. I couldn't test this much because there was no way to import Firefox history into Opera. Chrome imported it automatically.
Opera has NO support for changing to it, which is rather stupid tbh, from Opera's point of view.
Image Cyberscore! Image
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

i was using firefox for million years now, but most likely will change to chrome sooner or later. i like firefox very much, it has lots of addons, themes, i customized it a lot to be like i want it to be. but,... IT'S FUCKING SLOW! when scrolling through resized images (for example, image has 1200px width but it's cropped to 1000px), it take years to scroll over them. and on some forum sites, doesn't matter if phpbb or vbulletin, scrolling is like a nightmare. this doesn't happen with chrome and even not in IE :twisted: tried newest firefox beta, it was a little better, but still not much smooth. i am using only few extensions, so i can live without them i think. what's good about chrome: loading time is shorter, when some page crashes, only one tab crashes, not whole chrome (i just to have a session restore in firefox, but it took 10 seconds or more to restart lots of tabs), because every tab in chrome has separate proccess. however, few things are missing/buggish in chrome, but devs are fixing at least some of them atm. white blink when loading a page - happen sometimes, no firm status bar, ctrl+w is closing the last tab (in firefox, the last tab stays blank), useless "other bookmars" directory on bookmark panel, etc. but i can live with these, because firefox slowness is much more annoying. IMHO
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Opera wins heavily in these, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaT7thTxyq8 :)
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

now i bet you all feel silly!
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

I HATE POTATOES
Image Cyberscore! Image
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Igge wrote:I still think "to me" is a valid point in a discussion like this, since it revolves heavily around what a user personally wants in their browser. I think elma is a better game than world of warcraft because I like it for what it is, but if you were to remain 100% objective, elma is a fakcing crap game compared to wow.
Sry for offtopic, but this is totally false, in elma you can develop your skills, improve your times, compare with other players on different levels and many things (no need to mention xd).., while wow is just boring pixels-clicking game, where you do nothing and your "skills" are equal to the time you've spent in there. Nothing interesting about wow. Thus I can entirely impartially say that Elma is objectively a better game than wow (which is impossible to say about browsers). :wink:
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

Madness wrote:
Igge wrote:I still think "to me" is a valid point in a discussion like this, since it revolves heavily around what a user personally wants in their browser. I think elma is a better game than world of warcraft because I like it for what it is, but if you were to remain 100% objective, elma is a fakcing crap game compared to wow.
Sry for offtopic, but this is totally false, in elma you can develop your skills, improve your times, compare with other players on different levels and many things (no need to mention xd).., while wow is just boring pixels-clicking game, where you do nothing and your "skills" are equal to the time you've spent in there. Nothing interesting about wow. Thus I can entirely impartially say that Elma is objectively a better game than wow (which is impossible to say about browsers). :wink:
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Madness wrote:
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

You can never be 100% objective. It all depends how you look at it and watnat. Objectivity simply doesn't exists, which madness and igge, wow vs elma shows..
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

i rly too bored to read all the posts before mine but i have to tell that i'm usin firefox and it's fast enough, requires not so much memory and i've no problems with animation or smth using it.
Image Image
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

analcactus wrote:i rly too bored to read all the posts before mine but i have to tell that i'm usin firefox and it's fast enough, requires not so much memory and i've no problems with animation or smth using it.
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

leet screenshoting skillz :]

it doesnt matter if it eats 150mb or 75mb though :) cause it is 3-7% of ALL memory! (if we go middle with 2GB)
noone cares also about 0-2% of CPU :)
neither do i
Image Image
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

that was just to show memory usage :D no cpu is used when its idling ofc
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

i try to explain (ma english is consoantly down whrn i am drunken guy, alright):
when i do use firefox it means that it is really enough and it's OK in all areas of using:
i have NOT to download and setup the Java player
i have NOT to w8 until it starts
i have NOT to make some moves with preferences for succesfull work of that browser!

so if i reinstall Windows (OMG RLY i'm using windows xp) i instal nly firefox for pleasure!

well, you can tell by the way, i use my walk, im a woman man no time to talk, lousku
Image Image
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

ok im pretty sure this shoud settle the discussion
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

lool, what the fuck is it for? xd
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Rule 6, dude! That feature totally takes the soul and feeling out of F5ing.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

So you people have never come across websites that annoyingly refreshes when you just want to keep reading something?
Pretty common in newspaper websites, for instance.

Btw jon, I actually wasn't aware of that feature, nice find o/
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ