Talvi Cup by Ville_J starts on February 28th!

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Talvi Cup by Ville_J starts on February 28th!

Post by ville_j »

Talvi Cup 2010

Hello! I am happy to announce, that my long planned cup will start on February 28th. That's right, next weekend. The cup is called Talvi Cup, thanks to niN for kind of suggesting it! The cup will have 10 events, and it will last from Feb 28th to May 2nd. I hope the starting date is not coming too late for many of you, but I just couldn't announce it earlier.

Nine of the levels are made by me, and one level is made by niN. Thanks to Zebra, Bjorn and Haruhi for offering their levels too, but this time I chose to go with niN's level. All your levels were nice multi-style levels, so I couldn't include them all. I am not giving more information about the levels or styles, you just need to play and see :-) One thing though is, that events 5 and 6 will be running simultaneously and only for one week, but I can tell you that they aren't very monstrous levels. No other "weirdness" about the events, every event will start on Sunday at 20:00 (EET) and deadline is on next Sunday at 19:00.

As you may know, the cup is based on cupsource. Big thanks to Kopaka for making it and always helping me when I had some questions. I have made some changes on the site, and hope that everything is working ok. I've done very much debugging and other things to try to find every possible error, but sometimes it just isn't enough. If you encounter any errors or strange behavior, please contact me.

Some of the things I've made include highlighting your position on player and event standings, point difference to next position/1st position, a guestbook and a level-name-guessing-possibility which can give you some extra points. First one to guess level's name correctly will gain extra 3 points. There is more information about it on the Talvi Cup rules-section.

What else... I don't know. I hope many players will play this cup because it has taken some time to prepare it. I also invite everyone to join #talvicup @ircnet for the discussion and who knows what. Oh and right, here is a link to Talvi Cup page:

http://talvicup.oktobia.org

So, hello! It seems like I'm more back to Elma than I ever thought I could be. I will be arranging a cup next year, most probably in feb-march-april, ! don't know the exact time yet. This topic is here to open discussion and to get some nice ideas from you.

What is the cup called?
I don't want it to be "VJ cup" or anything related to my name or something. I was thinking maybe Winter Cup, do you think it is appropriate? By searching in lauta I found out that there have been two cups named Winter Cup (2003 and 2004, source) but they have been only for hungarians. Would it be confusing, or somehow inappropriate to call this Winter Cup 2010 or something? Do you have some other suggestions for the name?

What do you want from the cup?
The cup is not going to be a pair-cup or a first-finish cup, but a regular cup. I definitely will be adding my own twist into it, but how much, it depends. Would you like it to be more of an "experience" than just play-höyl-send-play-download-höyl? Experience is maybe a bit too powerful word, but what I mean is, that you might get certain benefits if you're actively exploring the scene, and so on? I'm not trying to make anything great, but just little things to make it something than just another cup blah. As I said, I will add my own twist to it no matter what, but if you really don't want it, I will reduce it.

Timing of the cup
As I said earlier, I have not decided the timing of this cup yet. What would be a good time to arrange it? I know there is for example lovely cup maybe in early 2010, then EOL may or may not be coming... Your thoughts about the month? Is there something I'm forgetting? I have also made almost 20 levels for the cup and will continue until the day the cup starts. Then I will pick only the best of the best levels and include those into the cup. This leads to my final question:

How long?/How many events?
What would be suitable amount of events? As I said, I have already made quite many levels, and will choose only best of those. The levels are from side to side, very different in styles. Short, long, simple, complicated, planned styles, non-planned... etc. so they shouldn't be too similar. I will not be accepting levels from other lev makers now, but maybe later I can give it a try.

Something else?
The cup site will be based on Cup Source, but I have already started developing it for my cup's benefits. Layout is completely different and I've made many custom coding too and more will come. I hope that your innovative minds can now help me to plan this cup even more, and make it something special!
Last edited by ville_j on 20 Feb 2010, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Re: "VJ Cup" - thoughts, suggestions, planning

Post by niN »

The timing of the cup is perfect! I will be able to participate in it I think.

I personally don't really like the name Winter Cup too much. Like you said it's been used before and I also think it sounds a little off the top of ones head. I like the idea of relating the cup to the season it's being played though. Maybe the finnish word for winter if it sounds cool?

I would love a normal cup with a nice and original twist from you :) Just remember to keep it simple for the players! I often float away to the craziest thoughts when I fantisise about cups.

The timing is perfect! I will get a computer set and ready for use on early January I think. February would be the best month for me!

I think about 8 - 12 events. A few long levels (1.5m - 3m), lots of medium levels (35s - 1.25m) and very few shorter levels

Looking forward!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

niN wrote:Maybe the finnish word for winter if it sounds cool?
Talvi cup? hmm.

I'm highly anticipating this one, I'm sure there will be great levs o/
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Sounds nice, time doesn't matter for me but 20 events could be cool. Not too many short ones. AND Like Maw Cup 2009 that forget to make the levs finishable for EVERYONE not jsut the pros or something. They should be like internals that everyone can finish. Ok now I am done bye
ToMaT
Kortsu
Kuski

Post by Kortsu »

roope wrote:
niN wrote:Maybe the finnish word for winter if it sounds cool?
Talvi cup? hmm.
Vital Cup, eheheheh...

But seriously, I'm new to this scene so I really don't know what kind of levels the majority likes. My favorites are probably short multiple style höyläs and mid-long straight-forward levels.

Cup Source development sounds interesting, I'm sure the site will be nice.

Can't wait for all these new cups!
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Would be nice if you could do it in March since Lovely Cup will be from January to March probably :wink:
:mrhat:
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Ooh, Talvi Cup sounds quite nice, I will definitely think of it! If I'm not very very wrong, I remember that talvi has been somewhere somehow voted as the most beautiful Finnish word. Or then it was just some random foreigner who said it sounds nice, who knows.
Thorze wrote:Sounds nice, time doesn't matter for me but 20 events could be cool. Not too many short ones. AND Like Maw Cup 2009 that forget to make the levs finishable for EVERYONE not jsut the pros or something. They should be like internals that everyone can finish. Ok now I am done bye
20 events is too much I guess, I'm thinking closer to niN, around 10-15. About the levels, I have paid very much attention on those. Like you said, they should be finishable for everyone. I think some of the levels I've made look and feel like internals, and all of the levels are quite easy to just finish.
Bismuth wrote:Would be nice if you could do it in March since Lovely Cup will be from January to March probably
Indeed, I will try to do that. But I must arrange my cup so that it fits together with my life too, so I cannot be too sure yet.
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

I don't think <3 can demand such huge time interval completely for itself. There's stuff cuming from others than just <3 and Ville, like team MiE ;), and having two cups at the same time maybe can't be avoided. But anyway I will most likely play Ville's cup, it sounds very cool! But no huge amount of events please, it requires too much orkaing and it isn't a World Cup. Also would be interesting to see one really untraditional and brave, totally different level! And generally would be cool if levels had variety in their style and flow (like internals, most are pretty different from each others you know).
Juish
38mins club

Post by Juish »

for the name:
- instead of "the grinch stole christmas" make it called "the kuski that stole christmas",
- too bad it wasn't timed to start the day before christmas and call it "the nightmare before christmas"
- would be cool to be called "The 2010 Winter Villympics" (i know you said you didnt want your name in it but it worked too well then to just write olypics) Give out gold, silver bronze villympic medals (just an image, not real medals), and who ever has the most medals at end wins. Also name the events after real winter olympic events that somewhat reflect the tricks done in the levels "mens Ski long jump" for example for a level that has a style involving a big jump. kind of a themed approach to the cup.

just a few thoughts i came up with.
TT= 38 somethin
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

This sounds good. Ville J's levels have always been the best there are. Normally I don't play any cups but this got my attention instantly :)
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

I Really like the kuski that stole christmas! Very nice name imo :)
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

I think that sucks. And if the cup doesn't start at christmas, then it's too far fetched anyway.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I think 8-12 events like nin said is a good amount, so people don't get too fed up with it. Also I like the idea of having to skip one or two events like there were in a few cups some time back. So if say there's 12 events, you can only send to 10 of them. So if there's a level you really don't like or you really busy some week the cup is not ruined for you. (:
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

If nothing else at least I'll send in some first finishes for support :) Also waiting for other cups is not that important, people will probably play the best one. I really think that team <3's cup with six levels at once sounds shitty, who can be bothered to play that many at the same time?
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

VJ Cup sounds interesting, just start it whenever u want - <3 cup will be fail anyway.

Like nom said it would be cool to see much variety in levels, and one or more very very different kind of events? :P. Can´t say yet if I have time or energy to hoyl all events, we´ll see.
Team MiE
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Nice to see that people are interested in this. Juish had some nice idea about olympics thing, I have already thought of it but ended up rejecting that idea because it didn't kind of fit to my cup. And the name "the kuski that stole christmas" or some variations of it I don't like that much. The skipping of 1-2 events sounds very nice and reasonable, I think I will include it. What comes to the cup levels, I will definitely try to make different style levels, and some unique crazy levels too. As I said I have bunch of levels already, and there are still about 3 more months to make those, so I think I will manage to get a high quality mixed style levels throughout the whole cup.
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

(Offtopic) Nice to see how you guys are really looking forward for our cup, since we've been putting quite some energy lately to arrange it (levelmaking and all). It tells me "hey, you see? You're spending hours to make levels and discuss with team members about the organization our your cup with big hopes that everyone will enjoy, and look how appreciated it is!" I really don't know what are your reasons of being so sure our cup will be fail, and I'm not quite sure I want to know them because I think I got an idea and that's enough. Seriously, you're telling me "Fuck you guys".

(Ontopic) Of course Ville J you can start your cup before <3 cup ends, I was only suggesting :)
Alma
Kuski

Post by Alma »

it would be nice if it came 3 lvls per event, 1 short hoyla 5 - 10 sec,1 medium 10 - 25 sec and 1 long and tricky 30 sec - 1.30 min

gets boring to hoyl one lvl per event after a while :s atleast for me :(
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

few random thoughts:
1: I like cups, where levels are made by two (or even more) playas. It feels somehow better and new level is always fresh and max. It looks better in list of levels as well :)
2. Talvi cup sounds very good. (I googled what talvi means :D)
3. The medal system is not very good for 10 levs cup. Only 30 medals there and most of them will be most likely taken by same players. = not fun for a lot of kuskis. It requires special cup where guy with most first places (gold medals) takes the best position imho.
4. eh, forgot when I was thinking about medal system. w/e
5. Skipping 1-2 events is always good! Worked very well in past cups.
6. I like weird levels with weird rules like in bananacup. Include some plx! Or someone somewhere else :)
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Well, I won't be having that "designer" column in the events table, if/when I am the only designer so you don't need to worry about how it looks :wink: The medal thing is something worth thinking and I've had it in my mind for some time now. And I guess I won't be including any crazy rules things, but we'll see.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Ok, the start of this cup is getting closer, it's 2010 already! I'm quite sure I will start the cup on February, but the exact date is still missing. After some thinking, I've decided to give all the level makers an opportunity to send in some levels. I will check all the levels, and if good enough, I will include one or two of them in the cup. Before sending a level, please read these rules carefully:

- The length of the level doesn't matter.
- Do not add any pictures in the lev, that includes masks too.
- You can use grass if you want. Not in a mongo way though.
- By sending a level to me, you give me a permission to publish it as an event in my cup. I have also rights to edit the level.
- You will be credited as a designer of the level.
- You can not send or make the lev available for others in any way.
- You can not play your own level. Important: the cup system will probably be so that you can skip one event. Therefore you won't "loose" any points if your level is chosen as an event. This feature is in development and I hope I get it done.
- I will inform you before the cup if your level was picked.
- There is no guarantee that any of the sent levels will be picked xD
- Send in only good levels :-)
- Send the levels to address v_jankala at hotmail dot com

I hope I receive at least few levels, so don't disappoint me xD
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

-np
-np
-np
-np
-oh, good levels? nvm o,o JAJAja
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Jappe wrote:i dont really like this current trend of not allowing levelmakers to participate in their own level, in ffcup its very understandable and in cups where few people make all the levels but instead of punishing the levelmaker for contributing a level it should be rewarded
I can see your point. However, you know that a level maker has a huge benefit playing own lev. And as I said, you probably can skip one event, so you don't actually loose any points.. just that you have to play all the other events then xD And actually, I don't see it as a punishment. Rewarded? When on earth have I seen battle lev makers rewarded? You want some extra points in teh cup? o,o The prize is you can see people playing your lev and making good times, different styles if possible etc. xD If you want to play my cup very very very seriously and think this is unfair system, then don't send levs, it's ok for me =)
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Well, yes. The advantage can be bigger or smaller depending on the level type. And in wcup there have been much more players than my cup will have, so the winning or even ranking good in own level is less likely. I wanted to have simple rules for this sending in thing, so this was way to go. I wouldn't want to see thorze winning his own lev. Or anyone else.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Ville_J wrote:I wouldn't want to see thorze winning his own lev.
I'd like to see that.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

I just want to inform you that I have implemented the skipping events thing on cup source now. It means that you can skip 1 or maybe even 2 events if you don't like lev or something else.

Now that it has been said, has anyone even thought of making a lev for my cup? So far I have made 30+ levels and 11 of them are the ones I really like. So if I won't get any levels from you I can do fine, but it would be nice to see someone else's levs. Anyways, the cup site is almost finished and pieces are starting to fit together, I will inform you more later.
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

I just want to inform you that vj finished vjc33 in 2:02
thats all :)
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Omg Mawane's a w/b itch, what should we do o,o
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

VJ I can make a lev, but I will need some time.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Jappe wrote:thats nothing, just wait until EOL comes and automatic level upload uploads the cup level to database when you dont remember / know it exists
That sounds very, very nice 8) Well naw this doesn't matter because I will edit the level and make it a bit longer. Or then I am just saying so you would think 2:02 is not possible when it actually is. You never know o,o And niN, you have like a month to make it.
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

VilleJ u will get a lev from me in exactly 4 days. Sorry for the delay, hopefully it's ok!
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

No levels needed. Ez generate them. :P
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Lal Madness xD I was going to announce the starting date this weekend, but I had very serious problems with my computer. Everything is fine now and I didn't lose anything important. I just need to get everything back up and running before I can be sure when possible to start the cup. So niN you still have days left to work on your lev :)
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

VJ. I have made a lev that i believe you would like and am contemplating sending it to you -> one problem is that it has masks (Textures) in it. Not wanted?
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Well ok, it doesn't matter, you can send it anyway :)
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

made a lev, will give it to youi :)
ville_j
Kuski

Re: Talvi Cup by Ville_J starts on February 28th!

Post by ville_j »

UPDATE! Information and link to Talvi Cup page on my first post. You might want to register right away, because you can start getting little points already!
Kortsu
Kuski

Post by Kortsu »

Just saw the site and like I already said, it has an awesome look. Let's hope the levs are great as well.
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

04 and 05 at the same time? Just wondering if this is not a mistake
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

It's 5 and 6 at the same time. If you'd read my first post you'd know it's not a mistake :)
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

VilleJ wrote:It's 5 and 6 at the same time. If you'd read my first post you'd know it's not a mistake :)
I smile and hope no one noticed how nab I am :)
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

LoL
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Talvi Cup has started! First event is available for download, and don't forget your chance to gain some extra points by guessing the level names correctly. BoneLESS already earned 3 points!

http://talvicup.oktobia.org/?s=events
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

So, will the right answer be revealed after it's guessed right or after the event starts?
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

After the event starts. I don't know why people don't bother reading the Rules section, there is one =)

edit.
Rules considering the guessing thing were not too clear, so I updated them. Now you should be able to fully understand the thing how it works :)
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Reminder: first event deadline in 7 hours. Be sure to send your time in in time xD
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Event #02 deadline in 4 hours, remember to send your time. I also added countdown to Talvi Cup page so you can easily hoyl for the final hours. I think I will be posting some results of events and overall standings to this topic too to keep it even a bit active.

Also, some days ago Ramone suggested that maybe there should be some kind of section where winner of the event and/or runner ups and such can give their comments of the level and style finding process or anything. I had that in mind when I made the site, but I decided that Discuss-section is enough. So I hope people would write down something there, would be nice to read. I have changed the max. characters per message (previously 255 xD) so you can write longer messages now =)
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

thx for advice i forgot to play :D
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Top-5 after two events:

Code: Select all

1. Rooker [NK]           200
2. BoneLESS [HHIT]       150.5
3. Bjoern [EF]           150
4. talli [EPO]           134
5. zebra [TAP]           114
Rooker has won both of the events (1 and 2), very nice achievement. Will he make a hat trick? 2nd event had few quite nice styles so I recommend people to watch those =) 3rd event is also up, go and check it out too.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

lol well done, Rooker! :D