When is FEM?
Please fill this doodle so that we could decide the dates: https://doodle.com/poll/7pag7wy4cz4df69n
Also, this year FEM could take longer time than 7 days and it can start/end at any weekday. So some discussion about this is also welcomed. I am thinking of something like from Wednesday morning to Wednesday night the following week.
What is it like in FEM?
To see it perhaps the best way is to check the pictures of previous FEMs, kindly provided to us by Markku:
The finance part
Attending FEM will again cost something this year, but I don't know the exact prices yet. We do not do any renting this year, but things like electricity will still cost for my parents. Also there will be some expenses in the organizing part as it will be necessary to buy some stuff. Also I am planning to have weekend work parties to clean and organize the FEM venue, and I am going to offer food from the FEM payments and free attendance for the participators. Moreover, by showing up early for doing the last organizing things or staying late for cleaning and re-organizing might free yourself from the attendance fees.
How to get there?
If you are not coming by a car or carpooling you should first get yourself to Helsinki by plane or ferry and then take a bus/train.
Trains from Helsinki:
Price 19€ (if you book early) to ~50€ (if you book late).
Busses from Helsinki (Onnibus):
Price ~10€ (if you book early) to ~20€ (if you book late).
Only the 17:00 departures go all the way to onion farm (rest of them stop at Lappeenranta).
Busses from Helsinki (norm busses):
Price 19€ (constant price (I think??)).
Optionally, you can also fly to Lappeenranta if the few flights that exist match for you:
If these options work for you, Lappeenranta would be the most convenient option. You basically get out of plane, show passport and get through quick security check (Lappeenranta airport is more like a bus station than an airport), take a shuttle bus or walk to train/bus station (they are close) and in one hour you are at onion farm.
You can even arrive from St. Petersburg. There are busses to Lappeenranta and Imatra and you can get a train ticket all the way to onion farm as well (train change in Kouvola).
After you are in either Simpele or Parikkala, someone will pick you up. Simpele is preferable if you come from the south. However, not all trains stop in Simpele since this year, so you might have to go all the way to Parikkala. But all the busses stop there.
If you come by car, there are two possible gravel road routes to our farm, shown on the map.
Is there going to be some rules or other kind of boring stuff?
Yes. FEM is a big community for one week, and as a by-product of fun fun fun there are also plenty of tasks that need to be done to keep things rolling and the place in non-chaotic condition. Most improtantly:
- Please recycle - there will be own bins for norm waste, cardboard, biowaste, metal and glass. Also bottles and cans worth deposit money will be and as per tradition, they will be returned to the shop and obtained funds will be used as cabin rent money.
- Please contribute to keeping the place organized. This includes
- taking the trash out
- emptying the dishwasher
- making the dishes
- keeping the fridge organized (There has been some problems with the fridge space during the last two years. So please try to use fridge space reasonably and organizedly. Drinks can be stored in an outside ground cellar. It's not as cool as fridge but you can take some drinks from the ground cellar to the fridge or freezer shortly before you use them. Also when you leave make sure that you are not leaving anything to the fridges, or if you do, please make sure everyone know that those items are for everyone)
- all other kind of miscellaneous cleaning and organizing of the place
- Please contribute to end cleaning before you leave. In each FEM the biggest problem has been that at the end there are massive amounts of trash and dishes everywhere and unlabeled food items in the fridges which means hours of work for the last mans standing. So when you leave please take some trashes out and/or do dishes and make sure you are not leaving any unlabeled food items in the fridges. If you don't want to take some foods with you please donate them for common good or throw them away.
- Returning the empty bottles and cans to the supermarket and giving the €€€ to me (for FEM-money)
- Boiling some cofe if there's no cofe left
- Making common food
- Taking care of warming the wood sauna
- Most importantly: contributing to the program and competitions or at least making battles for EOL if there isn't anything else going on - the meeting is about Elasto Mania after all =)