how do you rate levels?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

ArZeNiK
37mins club

Re: how do you rate levels?

Post by ArZeNiK »

even if you think "people just dont put that much effort into them", that shouldnt be an excuse to arbitrarily cap your mental ranking system at 8. that's like some boomer teacher of an unimportant subject never giving grade bigger than 8 because "people just dont learn that much".

besides...what else do you rate other than battle levs, that you need to have your quality standards reduced in the anticipation of something "efforted"? even that wouldnt make me undd why you cant just keep 2 different scales for levs designed with 2 completely separate scopes (lev for event in organization for months and played for months, vs. max 1 hour lev mostly created at the scream of a "pls new"...or not, but long projects like ram-FFs leave you unphased anyway because you dont like FFs, another weird story for another day) but, you don't seem to rate cuplevs, or external packs anyway. so why keep that gaussian curve so thin? it is starving.

and PS. this is not a personal offense at all as you can see i havent made a single battle in like a year :DD i should tbh, but no motivation (unrelated to bad ratings, im just lazy)
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

ArZeNiK wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 07:00 even if you think "people just dont put that much effort into them", that shouldnt be an excuse to arbitrarily cap your mental ranking system at 8. that's like some boomer teacher of an unimportant subject never giving grade bigger than 8 because "people just dont learn that much".
there is no mental cap, if someone were to make an amazing battle level it would get a 9-10. but i mean if you're stuck on a reality tv channel it is very unlikely you find a great tv show there if you prefer some sci-fi programmes.
ArZeNiK wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 07:00 besides...what else do you rate other than battle levs, that you need to have your quality standards reduced in the anticipation of something "efforted"? even that wouldnt make me undd why you cant just keep 2 different scales for levs designed with 2 completely separate scopes (lev for event in organization for months and played for months, vs. max 1 hour lev mostly created at the scream of a "pls new"...or not, but long projects like ram-FFs leave you unphased anyway because you dont like FFs, another weird story for another day) but, you don't seem to rate cuplevs, or external packs anyway. so why keep that gaussian curve so thin? it is starving.
this is a good topic to discuss. the concept of rating a battle lev is indeed a bit vague because it is unclear whether you should be rating the "battle" or the level itself. but when (if?) the level rating feature is implemented on the site and chat battle ratings get applied i would believe those go to same pool and that's why i don't give the battle levels any handicap. same applies to replays of course – already on recsource era some people rated battle recs with a different mindset than other replays and that is a bit problematic in my opinion. but i'm not interfering anyone's rating process, they can do it how they like. maybe there is a way to make a sensible separation between battle levs/recs and everything else, and if i were to change my mindset to that surely my ratings would look different.

the reason why i'm not rating cuplevs or external packs is that there is no way to rate them.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

specter2 wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 19:07 also i have already said that 9-10 rating is very unlikely for a battle level because people just don't put that much effort in them. the type of levels i like also seem to be very rare in the battles. you can call it bullshit for all i care, but you are creating the problem in your own head.
pls example of !lev 10 (not battle mb)
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

here some quick ones that might get a 9-10 though there might be a nostalgia factor in play

https://elma.online/levels/11487
https://elma.online/levels/8319
https://elma.online/levels/104887

also ramone used to make some real good battle levs during ram and one packs if i remember correctly.