GAA 2019 and future discussion

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

GAA 2019 and future discussion

Post by Kopaka »

(if you are new, GAA is our annual award show)

- First things first, we need some new members in the jury. So if you are interested please let me know. You don't have to have an intricate knowledge of all aspects of what has happened over the last year, but having somewhat followed what's been going on is a good idea of course, and have some motivation to do some reasearch.

Secondly a couple things we've discussed in the jury that we'd like to discuss.

- Last few years, at least, there has always been a number of categories where it's really hard to find enough nominees. With a bit of a decline in overall activity this is only going to get worse, as is finding motivated jury members. So is there a time where it doesn't make sense anymore and should be killed off, or at least a significant decrease in number of categories?

- With the 20th anniversary next year someone had the idea of an additional all time award show. Which could be interesting, but could also be very biased, since many who's around now wasn't in the beginning, and those who were may not remember the early years very well any more.

- Other thoughts?
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Re: GAA 2019 and future discussion

Post by Orcc »

Evolve or die as it goes in business. I think removing categories is not a problem, because the ones without many candidates are usually not the most interesting ones. If there was a worthy winner in a category without much competition, there could be some binus apple mentions.

There are still new areas of interest coming randomly so why not add a new category even for a year and see if it works out? One thing to be considered could be categories like in sports, where you will know the winner by the end of the year. Battle levels made, battle wins, maybe something else (total time cut is hard to make fair, so that would need jurying)?

All time GAA could be tricky, but maybe scrolling through all the previous GAA's and writing down winner lists (with the notes of their achievements if found) and see how it looks like? I know the latter part might take some work, but in case someone is up for the case. It could be biased in two ways: the newer stuff is better remembered but the old stuff is golden.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

what are the objective requirements for a jury
i mean like ok knowledge and ability to research but like
???
can a jury be also a nominee
osv
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

ArZeNiK wrote: 6 Dec 2019, 19:51 what are the objective requirements for a jury
i mean like ok knowledge and ability to research but like
???
can a jury be also a nominee
osv
A jury member can be nominated and win and that has happened many times. The only stipulation is that in case of a jury vote in 5th step you can't vote for yourself but you can choose not to vote, in case of community vote which has happened for all categories at least last two years you can vote for yourself like other community members can.
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

whats deadline for application. i might write one
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

GAA jury application process
step by step instructions

step 1: pm an existing GAA jury the following or similar: "can I gaa"
step 2: profit (or not)

would probably be good to know like within a week or so, as we'll have to get started fairly soon