why are some people uploading to zamppe and some to elma.online

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

kuchitsu
Kuski

why are some people uploading to zamppe and some to elma.online

Post by kuchitsu » 24 Jul 2020, 07:42

let's pick one guys?

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: why are some people uploading to zamppe and some to elma.online

Post by pawq » 24 Jul 2020, 09:16

+1

I don't think there's any functionality on recs.zamppe.com that is not already present on elma.online, so I'd vote for starting to shift towards elma.online (not to say "abandon zamppe" :})

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek » 24 Jul 2020, 10:08

i like zampik moar. simpel and working well. But I will use elma.online if there's no zanpe
EOL top 10 kuski of 2010, 2014 and 2015.

kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu » 24 Jul 2020, 10:58

Yeah, I think that's precisely what's causing this split. On zamppe there is no clutter and everything is right in the center, whereas on elma.online the rec stuff is pushed to the side in favor of other info that you probably don't care about if you just came to watch/share some recs.

ArZeNiK
38mins club
Team: Ferrari

Post by ArZeNiK » 24 Jul 2020, 11:15

a matter of preference. elmaonline is great too but my eyes just like zamppe more
hi im arzenik :>
september 23th 2017 never forget

Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone » 24 Jul 2020, 17:05

Yeah. No direct url to rec-part of elma.online is annoying and bad.
Elasto Mania - ez better

Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs » 24 Jul 2020, 17:20

elma.online zoom is very far, on zamppe no need to zoom every time.
Team SPEED

i love everyone :*

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq » 24 Jul 2020, 17:53

so you prefer the community having two sites with recs because "eyes like zamppe more"? I know he's cute, but c'mon. elma.online is still evolving, and is most likely going to be here for the long term, while recs.zamppe.com was afaik meant to be temporary anyway, so it makes little sense to keep making it even more fragmented than it already is...

I agree that random URLs for recs on elma.online suck (can't remember what the reasoning behind it was), but it already has quite a bit of functionality that's missing on recs.zamppe.com (ratings, comments, other recs in level [albeit bugged atm], full screen option).

ArZeNiK
38mins club
Team: Ferrari

Post by ArZeNiK » 24 Jul 2020, 18:13

pawq wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 17:53
so you prefer the community having two sites with recs because "eyes like zamppe more"?
i'll happily switch over to elmaonline once zamppe is gone
hi im arzenik :>
september 23th 2017 never forget

Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi » 24 Jul 2020, 18:30

recsource.tv plz
Elasto Mania - 34:26.58 | #412 - 11. June 2020
Ancient Internals

Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq » 24 Jul 2020, 20:51

let's be honest, both sites are prety bad. I could improve recs.zampe.com a lot but it feels idiotic to parse some ajax search page off elmaonline.net to try find corresponding .lev for .rec. I mean building on top of hacks feels like high chance for waste of time.

An attempt to create wasm recplayer might happen in the autumn, based on https://github.com/kryptan/other-elma. We talked about it in fem. In theory it should giv a smoother rec viewing experience :beer: no idea how big project it will be or is it poss at all, might be too hard for a zamppe :(

tej
Kuski

Post by tej » 26 Jul 2020, 16:20

pawq wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 17:53
so you prefer the community having two sites with recs because "eyes like zamppe more"?
I don't agree with your disagreement here. If the UX is better on one site, people will use it. Make elma.online superior to zamp, and people will switch over. I currently agree with people saying zamp has better experience.

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq » 26 Jul 2020, 17:27

It's part of the UX to have as much stuff as possible in one place tho. Maybe finally closing elmaonline.net when elma.online is ready will help with that.

tej
Kuski

Post by tej » 27 Jul 2020, 14:56

pawq wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 17:27
It's part of the UX to have as much stuff as possible in one place tho. Maybe finally closing elmaonline.net when elma.online is ready will help with that.
I mean, it comes down to taste, and it may be personal preference, but I find the "everything in one place" concept goes against everything I've learned in UI and UX, everything I appreciate about other sites, and has lead me to really dislike elma.online, especially it's homepage.

I'd recommend, if having the keeping the barf that is the homepage is a requirement, creating elma.online/recs where the experience is much more similar to zamp, with only the recent recs, links to best internal recs, and whatever is necessary.

I still use elmaonline.net almost exclusively, and I've tried elma.online, but really can't get over how convoluted the site feels.

iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS » 27 Jul 2020, 15:02

Zamppe is 100% replays, no distracting other elma stuff.
Somehow i don't really check the latest replays on elma.online, while zamppe is good for casual replay watching (better recsource feeling). I think replays on zamppe have more views, better for sharing rec for one-time view with a wider audience.
elma.online is better for uploading multiple replays driven on the same level, easier to overview. Also, the commenting possibility is nice.

kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu » 27 Jul 2020, 16:13

tej wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 14:56
I'd recommend, if having the keeping the barf that is the homepage is a requirement, creating elma.online/recs where the experience is much more similar to zamp, with only the recent recs, links to best internal recs, and whatever is necessary.
Yes yes yes! This is the most sensible solution imo. Create a section dedicated entirely to recs that can be viewed separately from the welcome text, latest battles, etc. Replays are important enough to warrant their own page, goddammit!

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq » 27 Jul 2020, 16:42

Yeah, and then you're discarding all the integration possibilities between rec/lev/kuski/etc pages.

tej
Kuski

Post by tej » 27 Jul 2020, 16:57

pawq wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 16:42
Yeah, and then you're discarding all the integration possibilities between rec/lev/kuski/etc pages.
You don't need to discard anything. The recs can be available in two places. The /recs endpoint should just be a view into the recs with a player, free of all the visual overload.

Since we're talking about visual overload, I really think the homepage of elma.online could use some more minimalist design, the big black sidebar, the big green topbar, tons of elements all fighting for my attention.

Since we're talking about the site, as well, do levs have comment and rating capabilities like recs do?

Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben » 29 Jul 2020, 00:54

Add a "replays" button to the sidebar that takes you to a dedicated replays page with all the latest and most watched replays...
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

ofta
Kuski

Post by ofta » 3 Aug 2020, 01:22

i think elma.online could use a bit cleaner design, like a smaller sidebar size (so much dead space) and a bit easier for eye to focus on the essential things. also i think the long list of latest replays could use some labels so i understand what kind of rec im watching. like sometimes you wanna share a fun trick in the middle of the run, or just a move somewhere or sometimes you just did a quick afterballe rec and when eveything is just in a long list its kinda hard to get a structure. but yeah I think its nice to have everything in one place, but it needs design and structure improvs

also the dream would be new addition "cloud replays" from elma main menu and addition of "save replay to cloud" with short description for sharing

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka » 5 Aug 2020, 22:12

Making an elma.online/recs section is something I've thought about as well, to have a more focused replay watching experience, upcoming search enhancements should help as well to find stuff. Anyway, UI is not something that has been a big concern yet for that site, mostly focused on getting all the features there and frontpage has been a bit of a kitchen sink. That said it's nice to get the feedback so when I do get to it I'll know what people prefer.

Replay url is something people has talked about as well, what do people prefer there?
elma.online/g16kh7gbng3
elma.online/g16k/01kopa1399
elma.online/g16k/01kopa1399/qwquu001
Or something else. Personally I like something as short as possible, but hadn't thought of the benefits of having filename directly in url.

Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace » 5 Aug 2020, 23:25

Benefits of filename in url: ppls know what they looking at before clikko

for example, 2 recs pasted in disco:

elma.online/g16k/01Jarkko1379
elma.online/g16k/boobs031slesk

I see 01 rec, I clikk
I see boobs rec, idc really

Helps with informing my observe experience :)

Benefits of no filename in url:

Surprise bonus rec out of nowhere some days

Benefits of level in filename:

I suppose even more informative but also seems a bit redundant level of inform for me
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 19 WC, 24 Pro, 5 Good | 37 Australian Records | AvgTT: 40:09:92

tej
Kuski

Post by tej » 7 Aug 2020, 15:44

Grace wrote:
5 Aug 2020, 23:25
Agreed. Rec filename in url helps to link someone it and they can just go "already seen it" and you can talk about it immediately.

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek » 4 Sep 2020, 11:44

at elma.online:
Why do I have to sometimes press "back to prev page" twice, when I spy recs, before it takes me back to homepage?
I was able to reproduce it, but only randomly. I don't exactly know what causes it.

It happens always if there's a rec in "Other replays in level", though. After I click it I need to press "back" twice before it takes me to homepage. And sometimes it merges the current rec with prev rec in one screen, when I press "back" once, which is like the coolest feature/bug ever.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2010, 2014 and 2015.

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka » 4 Sep 2020, 20:41

Bludek wrote:
4 Sep 2020, 11:44
at elma.online:
Why do I have to sometimes press "back to prev page" twice, when I spy recs, before it takes me back to homepage?
I was able to reproduce it, but only randomly. I don't exactly know what causes it.
It happens because both the table row and the replay name is a link, so if you click replay name it clicks two links. Others has reported it before and I was unable to figure that out, but did recently and it'll be fixed in the next release sometime this weekend.