why are some people uploading to zamppe and some to elma.online

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

kuchitsu
Kuski

why are some people uploading to zamppe and some to elma.online

Post by kuchitsu »

let's pick one guys?
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: why are some people uploading to zamppe and some to elma.online

Post by pawq »

+1

I don't think there's any functionality on recs.zamppe.com that is not already present on elma.online, so I'd vote for starting to shift towards elma.online (not to say "abandon zamppe" :})
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

i like zampik moar. simpel and working well. But I will use elma.online if there's no zanpe
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Yeah, I think that's precisely what's causing this split. On zamppe there is no clutter and everything is right in the center, whereas on elma.online the rec stuff is pushed to the side in favor of other info that you probably don't care about if you just came to watch/share some recs.
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

a matter of preference. elmaonline is great too but my eyes just like zamppe more
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Yeah. No direct url to rec-part of elma.online is annoying and bad.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

elma.online zoom is very far, on zamppe no need to zoom every time.
Team SPEED

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

so you prefer the community having two sites with recs because "eyes like zamppe more"? I know he's cute, but c'mon. elma.online is still evolving, and is most likely going to be here for the long term, while recs.zamppe.com was afaik meant to be temporary anyway, so it makes little sense to keep making it even more fragmented than it already is...

I agree that random URLs for recs on elma.online suck (can't remember what the reasoning behind it was), but it already has quite a bit of functionality that's missing on recs.zamppe.com (ratings, comments, other recs in level [albeit bugged atm], full screen option).
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

pawq wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 17:53 so you prefer the community having two sites with recs because "eyes like zamppe more"?
i'll happily switch over to elmaonline once zamppe is gone
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi »

recsource.tv plz
Elasto Mania - 34:22.20 | #416 - 12. April 2021
Ancient Internals
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

let's be honest, both sites are prety bad. I could improve recs.zampe.com a lot but it feels idiotic to parse some ajax search page off elmaonline.net to try find corresponding .lev for .rec. I mean building on top of hacks feels like high chance for waste of time.

An attempt to create wasm recplayer might happen in the autumn, based on https://github.com/kryptan/other-elma. We talked about it in fem. In theory it should giv a smoother rec viewing experience :beer: no idea how big project it will be or is it poss at all, might be too hard for a zamppe :(
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

pawq wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 17:53 so you prefer the community having two sites with recs because "eyes like zamppe more"?
I don't agree with your disagreement here. If the UX is better on one site, people will use it. Make elma.online superior to zamp, and people will switch over. I currently agree with people saying zamp has better experience.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

It's part of the UX to have as much stuff as possible in one place tho. Maybe finally closing elmaonline.net when elma.online is ready will help with that.
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

pawq wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 17:27 It's part of the UX to have as much stuff as possible in one place tho. Maybe finally closing elmaonline.net when elma.online is ready will help with that.
I mean, it comes down to taste, and it may be personal preference, but I find the "everything in one place" concept goes against everything I've learned in UI and UX, everything I appreciate about other sites, and has lead me to really dislike elma.online, especially it's homepage.

I'd recommend, if having the keeping the barf that is the homepage is a requirement, creating elma.online/recs where the experience is much more similar to zamp, with only the recent recs, links to best internal recs, and whatever is necessary.

I still use elmaonline.net almost exclusively, and I've tried elma.online, but really can't get over how convoluted the site feels.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Zamppe is 100% replays, no distracting other elma stuff.
Somehow i don't really check the latest replays on elma.online, while zamppe is good for casual replay watching (better recsource feeling). I think replays on zamppe have more views, better for sharing rec for one-time view with a wider audience.
elma.online is better for uploading multiple replays driven on the same level, easier to overview. Also, the commenting possibility is nice.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

tej wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 14:56 I'd recommend, if having the keeping the barf that is the homepage is a requirement, creating elma.online/recs where the experience is much more similar to zamp, with only the recent recs, links to best internal recs, and whatever is necessary.
Yes yes yes! This is the most sensible solution imo. Create a section dedicated entirely to recs that can be viewed separately from the welcome text, latest battles, etc. Replays are important enough to warrant their own page, goddammit!
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Yeah, and then you're discarding all the integration possibilities between rec/lev/kuski/etc pages.
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

pawq wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 16:42 Yeah, and then you're discarding all the integration possibilities between rec/lev/kuski/etc pages.
You don't need to discard anything. The recs can be available in two places. The /recs endpoint should just be a view into the recs with a player, free of all the visual overload.

Since we're talking about visual overload, I really think the homepage of elma.online could use some more minimalist design, the big black sidebar, the big green topbar, tons of elements all fighting for my attention.

Since we're talking about the site, as well, do levs have comment and rating capabilities like recs do?
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Add a "replays" button to the sidebar that takes you to a dedicated replays page with all the latest and most watched replays...
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
ofta
Kuski

Post by ofta »

i think elma.online could use a bit cleaner design, like a smaller sidebar size (so much dead space) and a bit easier for eye to focus on the essential things. also i think the long list of latest replays could use some labels so i understand what kind of rec im watching. like sometimes you wanna share a fun trick in the middle of the run, or just a move somewhere or sometimes you just did a quick afterballe rec and when eveything is just in a long list its kinda hard to get a structure. but yeah I think its nice to have everything in one place, but it needs design and structure improvs

also the dream would be new addition "cloud replays" from elma main menu and addition of "save replay to cloud" with short description for sharing
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Making an elma.online/recs section is something I've thought about as well, to have a more focused replay watching experience, upcoming search enhancements should help as well to find stuff. Anyway, UI is not something that has been a big concern yet for that site, mostly focused on getting all the features there and frontpage has been a bit of a kitchen sink. That said it's nice to get the feedback so when I do get to it I'll know what people prefer.

Replay url is something people has talked about as well, what do people prefer there?
elma.online/g16kh7gbng3
elma.online/g16k/01kopa1399
elma.online/g16k/01kopa1399/qwquu001
Or something else. Personally I like something as short as possible, but hadn't thought of the benefits of having filename directly in url.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Benefits of filename in url: ppls know what they looking at before clikko

for example, 2 recs pasted in disco:

elma.online/g16k/01Jarkko1379
elma.online/g16k/boobs031slesk

I see 01 rec, I clikk
I see boobs rec, idc really

Helps with informing my observe experience :)

Benefits of no filename in url:

Surprise bonus rec out of nowhere some days

Benefits of level in filename:

I suppose even more informative but also seems a bit redundant level of inform for me
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

Grace wrote: 5 Aug 2020, 23:25 ...
Agreed. Rec filename in url helps to link someone it and they can just go "already seen it" and you can talk about it immediately.
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

at elma.online:
Why do I have to sometimes press "back to prev page" twice, when I spy recs, before it takes me back to homepage?
I was able to reproduce it, but only randomly. I don't exactly know what causes it.

It happens always if there's a rec in "Other replays in level", though. After I click it I need to press "back" twice before it takes me to homepage. And sometimes it merges the current rec with prev rec in one screen, when I press "back" once, which is like the coolest feature/bug ever.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Bludek wrote: 4 Sep 2020, 11:44 at elma.online:
Why do I have to sometimes press "back to prev page" twice, when I spy recs, before it takes me back to homepage?
I was able to reproduce it, but only randomly. I don't exactly know what causes it.
It happens because both the table row and the replay name is a link, so if you click replay name it clicks two links. Others has reported it before and I was unable to figure that out, but did recently and it'll be fixed in the next release sometime this weekend.
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

can you disable zamppe site now so that recs are finally in one place thanks
Dorknoob
Kuski

Post by Dorknoob »

pawq wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 16:42 Yeah, and then you're discarding all the integration possibilities between rec/lev/kuski/etc pages.
No reason we couldn't make a very similar feel to zamppe without distractions. Just abandon the rec taking you to the lev page and have optional link to take you there. Do it similar to this page: https://elma.online/r/cup/68069/CPC14jblaze Just add rating/comments/link to lev/battle page.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

We should have Laissez-faire attitude towards people making sites for elma
God Bless America
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

it's good to make sites and whatever but the data being scattered to different systems is a bit problematic and annoying and that's one of the reasons why recsource was not brought back and now this is just creating the same problem again
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

I could make it read only
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Zweq wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 18:35 I could make it read only
at least make the community vote or smth.
recs.zamppe is just much more user-friendly and clean experience than elma.online atm.
Sometimes I just wanna spy some old int recs or browse through newest uploads, but at elma.online it is not even possible to see the list of most recent recs after you click on the latest rec.
It's also just so much faster (and easier) to find a rec by a specific player or in a specific lev on recs.zamppe.

So please do not make recs.zamppe site read-only just yet.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Bludek wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 12:13Sometimes I just wanna spy some old int recs or browse through newest uploads, but at elma.online it is not even possible to see the list of most recent recs after you click on the latest rec.
Just use middle-mouse button and open rec in background tab?
Bludek wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 12:13It's also just so much faster (and easier) to find a rec by a specific player or in a specific lev on recs.zamppe.
It might be faster, but as long as many people have migrated to elma.online it won't be a complete list so what's the point then..
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Bludek wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 12:13
Zweq wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 18:35 I could make it read only
at least make the community vote or smth.
recs.zamppe is just much more user-friendly and clean experience than elma.online atm.
Sometimes I just wanna spy some old int recs or browse through newest uploads, but at elma.online it is not even possible to see the list of most recent recs after you click on the latest rec.
It's also just so much faster (and easier) to find a rec by a specific player or in a specific lev on recs.zamppe.

So please do not make recs.zamppe site read-only just yet.
apreciate, but aparently elmaonline.net has been redirecting to elma.online since few days ago, so recs.zamppe.com can't find level anymore for the uploaded rec, which i probably shouldn't fix?? :bear: so it became read only few days ago by coincidence.

recs.zapoe.,cum was always severely hindered by the fact that it has no direct connection to elmaonline database. It would be a good idea to fix those usability issues for elma.online recplayer instead.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

The relative infancy of the layout and functionality on elma.online is such a horrible argument to keep uploading replays to a separate isolated database that will become obsolete sooner or later.
iltsu
37mins club
Team: EF

Post by iltsu »

Reczamppe is just easier and better.
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

You know what they say: "You can't stop progress, but you can help decide what is progress and what isn't.”

SveinR wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 12:42
Bludek wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 12:13Sometimes I just wanna spy some old int recs or browse through newest uploads, but at elma.online it is not even possible to see the list of most recent recs after you click on the latest rec.
Just use middle-mouse button and open rec in background tab?
I am unable to find good analogy off the top of my head, but you are just suggesting to me to settle with slower and more click-intensive option.

I am not trying to be harsh, in other aspects elma.online is sik amazing, I am just loving the simplicity of rec-dedicated website.
pawq wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 13:58 The relative infancy of the layout and functionality on elma.online is such a horrible argument to keep uploading replays to a separate isolated database that will become obsolete sooner or later.
I guess this is true. It is just hard to see from a standpoint of regular users / community members.
Last edited by Bludek on 24 Mar 2021, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

fix rec.zape ffs
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

y vtf vhen fik's.. ?
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Hi mans.

Since many ppl are saying that zamppe recs are superior (which for me is too) but it seems like the plan is to use the recplayer on elma.online, lemme just give my 2 cents as to what i like on zamppe recs so it can (hopefully) be also implemented on recplayer on elma.online.

For comparison here is how an example of TAS 18 rec on zamppe recplayer looks for me: https://i.imgur.com/2a8B0BH.png.

Here is how an example of norm 18 rec on elma.online recplayer looks for me: https://i.imgur.com/5LgYB2p.png.

Most notable difference: rec player on elma.online doesn't even fit my screen vertically (ik I have shit resolution but still the player is just a big square). I like the widescreen resolution on zamppe.

Other things I like about zamppe: all replay metadata is displayed in one place (top left), meanwhile time and rec type (TAS) is in top right. Also I like that there is "download rec" text as the only hyperlink so you don't need to guess which one of the hyperlinks is the one that downloads the replay (which can be confusing on some sites, sometimes it's the time, sometimes it's the level, etc.). I like the timer, apple counter and progress bar are all displayed inline and don't take much of the player space. Also the search underneath the player is nice. On elma.online you can't even see the rec timer unless you are hovering over the player with your mouse which will pull out the progress bar/timer that will be obscuring the bottom part of the player.

What I like on elma.online: there is full-screen option (afaik this does not exist on zamppe).

What I am missing on both sites: if the browser tab is not in focus, don't autoplay the rec (also pause if was already playing after switching to another tab). Many times I was opening several recs into new tabs on zamppe and when I was done with first rec I switched to another tab and the second rec was already halfway through so had to move it to start. Also would be good if you could pause player on left click (currently works only pressing space) and go to full-screen mode by double clicking.

In conclusion, I like zamppe recs mainly because you can see everything you need straight away and nicely put in its place, whether it's the metadata, download button, timers, progressbar, etc. And the fact that the player is widescreen makes it display perfectly even on my laptop that has shit resolution. And ofc ground > brick background texture lel.

Since i see ppl making super cool work with elma.online I hope this rec player stuff can be implemented too, would be super cool. Other mans should also add their observations about zamppe/elma.online so we get good rec player there ffs. Or idk just fix zamppe recs and we keep separate 2 rec players xD

Keep up the good work elmans.

Edit: Added mention of option to go to full-screen by double clicking.
Last edited by culinko on 26 Mar 2021, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

pressing p (when recplayer is active) disables pics and makes it default ground/sky, pressing g removes grass. should probably have this somewhere in the rec player

nice to see some actual good feedback though. i think the recplayer-react component needs to be updated to be able to scale the player on fly iirc. That would mean it would be easier to make buttons to click for "theatre mode", widescreen etc. Willing to put in the time to doing it but currently busy with some other things
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

I'm auto-clicking due to muscle memory on my rec.zamppe shortcut in chrome several times a day and I am always sad that there's nothing new :(
It was just so good to mindlessly spy new recs for my brainz to clean. It is like losing recsource.tv all over again.

/sad bear out
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

FinMan wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 06:23 pressing p (when recplayer is active) disables pics and makes it default ground/sky, pressing g removes grass. should probably have this somewhere in the rec player
This is actually pretty cool, I had no idea. Funny thing is that these shortcuts are also implemented on zamppe which I had no idea too :D It would be great if this setting could be saved somewhere so ppl can use same setting automatically next time they visit the rec player. Either create settings for rec player somewhere in profile or store it in a cookie.

Also when trying these shortcuts on zamppe, I found a bug. Idk if it's known or not, here are reproduction steps:

- play rec, click to focus player, press "p", click to play another rec -> player gets bugged
- play rec, click to focus player, press "g", click to play another rec, click to focus player, press "g" -> player gets bugged

Need to refresh the page in order to fix the bug (tested in Chrome).
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

The programmers here dont have to do shit if they dont want to. We shouldnt discourage people from making an uploading site if they want to make a better one than whatever is out there. People may start using the better one and everything is not in the same place, but thats the nature of the beast and how things progress and get better.
God Bless America
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

agre with gump lassi fare or vtf caled elsewise u get facebok twatter snydrome 1 big central piec of shit (like elmastat's osV)
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

if elmo.online is so terrible you can for example try app on https://epple.janka.la, it's an app for my own use so you might not like it but you can install it on your pc/phone/tablet whatever and data is from elmo db

you can write your own app using the eol apis so it's not forced to use elmo.online, it's just convenient data is in one place
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I would really like people to see beyond of what's currently out there. User friendliness on zampo is better at the moment probably for every user, but there is a nice buzz around developing elma.online site. Pls don't settle with current things but instead contribute by listing the things that you'd like to see on elma.online rec player and start uploading your recs there, it will pay off one day.

Big hand to everyone working on elma.online site, it's looking better and better all the time!
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

watching recs on a daily basis died with recsource.tv the perfect site (ALMOST)
so youtube videos are preferable plz ty
ToMaT