How many hours have you played?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

ribot
Not banned

How many hours have you played?

Post by ribot »

As I was seeing before, zweq has been playing 20k hours for a period of 20 years. Let me break that down for you:

1000 hours per year
~= 2.7 hours or 2 hours and 45 minutes per day on average for 20 f*king years!

I mean zampper has touched me in different ways over his accomplishments, but this amount of playing is choking me on the slow supriz.

Personally I probably have not played that amount any week of any year. Even when I played wcup seriously one week I only did 10 hours.

My playing has been irregular but i dunno if i have even done 1000 hours.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Lukazz
36mins club

Re: How many hours have you played?

Post by Lukazz »

When I was still in school I guess I also easily played 10-20 hours per week, sometimes more, for several years. Nowadays more like 1-2 hours per week at most.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

I think we should translate this calculation into years so it starts making sense :)
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

I guess it wasn't that clear but I have played about as many years as zweq but he has played maybe 20 times more. So no, I'm not interested in how many years you have played.

I'm more interested to see the dedication some people have. I'm sure you can make sense of it if you try harder.
-
-
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

I was talking about 20k hours being a bit of an abstract number but if you say someone's played 24 hours straight for more than two years that's pretty sick :)
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i donno how correct my assessment of 20k hour / 20 years is, but seriously 20k hours over 20 years is not much. I remember an internet friend in WoW who had like 300 days (7200hours) /played over 1.5 years since the game was released. So, all he did was play and sleep.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

you're a beginner then ;)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Agreed somewhat. 1k h/year is not that much in and of itself, and I'm sure we all have spend that kind of time on elma and/or other games (or hobbies for that matter). I think the amazing part of elma is the fact that people have such consistency in their playtime. 1kh/1y is oke, 20kh/20y is very impressive.

I think mostly this comes from the game being competitive, so by logic the more time you put in the better you get, so the goal of the game is basically just playing a lot and getting better.
I know I spent maybe 1kh on CS 1.5, maybe 4kh hours on CS 1.6, and then a couple more thousand on CS:GO. This also comes from CS being competitive, but also having the possibility of cruising surf levels or funmaps for those times you can't find 4 others for a full team.

What sets elma apart from other competitive games I think are several things, like not having newer versions/reboots, being single player, no commitment (can literally play for just 5min if in a rush), really lightweight to bring to school on USB, etc. Elma has been there in all its entire glory since the first day until today, and its instant playability makes it so easy to just rack up hours here and there, whenever and wherever.

Then you have the wow etc, but I feel like those are intrinsically designed to be addictive because it makes more money for the company. By having daily tasks etc you kind of trick peoples psychology (FOMO etc) and physiology (dopamine kicks etc) into playing more, much like a drug. So I would maybe put those games in another category, even if part of it ofc applies to elma as well - it's just elma wasn't purposely built to be as addictive in the same way.

Idk where I'm going with this post, just felt like elma has a special place when it comes to höylability compared to other games, and that's why we're still here after 20y.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

Of course you are right mans, and it would be interesting to see Elma in a deliberately addictive version. Kalmard better read this!

I was thinking from my own perspective, it is impsy for me to play a game that much. There are some games I could play for 10+ hours a day, but not for any more than a few days. Then it usually takes months before I can enjoy that game again.

Elma is like a meta game where I can take a break from gaming or programming to cruise for a minute, but super hard to put a lot of time into.
-
-
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Igge wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 12:35 This also comes from CS being competitive, but also having the possibility of cruising surf levels or funmaps for those times you can't find 4 others for a full team.
Pls join elma csgo discord, so we can play together :)

https://discord.gg/26sqjH
Team SPEED