GAA future

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

jblaze
38mins club

GAA future

Post by jblaze »

goal of topic is hearing public opinion about importance of Golden Apple Awards (GAAs) existence

we've had discussions about legitimacy of having it still going, the biggets of concerns was seemingly low level of interest delivered by the community. the amount of final voters was not that far away from previous years' levels, although the amount of stokes given has detectably greatly decreased compared to further ages... or did just our ways of expression change?

we need that little research and some voices to hear from, how important is GAA? do you still want to see it going, or do you think its a childs play? shutting it up just like that would be a big decision, but do the people still care anyway? its a traditional summary of a year in its own irreplaceaple way, held for a great amount of years, so theres no way we shall treat it in an ignorant way either!

peace and apples!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
tomator
Kuski

Re: GAA future

Post by tomator »

Won't decide yes or no because I never get around to interacting with GAA, never voting or nominating. Just want to say that I keep an eye on it and check out winners/runners up so for me it's a very nice way to check out cool stuff.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

I think maybe it's time to abandon the rigid categories, and rather award fewer GAA's and only to specifically noticable and deserving things.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

gaa is a very important thing, it would be a great loss to see it vanish. im very curious to be a part of voting this year as many things happened
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

There is no need for it as very few nominees can be in any category, some cant even get 10guy. Let it die.
Team SPEED

Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Maybe it needs some rethinking. Two quick ideas from the back of my head:

1) Remove the categories and instead let people nominate whatever they think is GAA-worthy (could even be two winners in one old category)
2) Have GAA less often than every year
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Like tomator was hinting at, for me the nice part about GAA is to get sort of a compilation of the year with all the best recs, wrs, etc. I kinda care more about the top10s than who actually wins the category tbh.

So imo maybe focus more on the TOP10s of the year, and then maybe also have a few VIPs like: Kuski of the year, Designer of the year, Contributor of the year.

Then make it a 1h liveshow with some cool ICS compilations of the top10s, with an AKB voiceover explaining how torinch found "that" new style etc, and then finish the show with interviews with KOTY, DOTY, and COTY.

Just an idea)
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Igge wrote: 1 Dec 2020, 09:52Then make it a 1h liveshow with some cool ICS compilations of the top10s, with an AKB voiceover explaining how torinch found "that" new style etc, and then finish the show with interviews with KOTY, DOTY, and COTY.

Just an idea)
Live video chat show would be nice, no reason not to do that in this day and age... :)
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

SveinR wrote: 1 Dec 2020, 10:24Live video chat show would be nice, no reason not to do that in this day and age... :)
One reason: jury willingness. I'd be keen to, but not everyone would :)

edit: naturally new ppl could be drawn in for that though, especially if we abandon the traditional format!
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

There is a similar annual ceremony for Doom, another 20+ years old game that still has a following, and it's really revered. I think one of the reasons it works so well is because the community is comprised of people with varied knowledge of the game. For every hardcore veteran who's seen a lot of things there is a newbie that's completely bewildered by the number of levels and mods. So a top ten picked by experienced jury serves as a nice entry point and a showcase of community's best talents.

The situation in Elma is quite different. Almost every active player has a long history with the game, knows in and outs of it, and has already formed an opinion on all popular lev packs and kuskis. So I guess there's just not that much demand for a yearly roundup. People already know everything and have their own views: they don't need an authority telling them what's good.
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

For a long time GAA has felt like beating a dead horse. Juggling with the categories, not finding enough nominees, next-to-nothing (or completely missing) speeches etc. Not to mention people voting for their friends and who they like instead of actual achievements; some people don't have to do much to get people's votes automatically while other people are overlooked. I don't think there's any reason anymore to arrange GAA as it is.

Some good suggestions for the renewal have already been made; perhaps just gather some highlights each year and present them in a nice format. People can suggest achievements, contributions, creations.. anything without considering which category they would belong. There won't be any voting, just the GAA team gathering the suggestions and presenting the highlights which means there could be for example 5 levels, 11 replays, mentions of people who have improved their tt significantly, people who have performed well in battles/competitions.. statistics and analytics must be gathered and examined. Publish in a neat format and not just Discord copypastes.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Jup, agreed with Specter.

Imo a relaxed and informal panel show with 3-4 elmans on twitch would do nicely. One person would have to be in charge of streaming replays and showing pictures/videos etc, and rest would help with research before the event, and join to discuss the replays/levels/designers/battles/kuskis/cups/wrs/etc, and keeping an eye on chat for insights (memes) to keep the whole community involved.

It would require the entire community to help give ideas and fodder for such an event - to promote what they believe should be brought up. More than just a handful of kuskis pitching one-two replays each. But I believe it could be a really nice watch to "catch up" on the year, highlight achievements, and just have a good time.

Show highlights/compilations from all cups and sick battles throughout the year (so that we who didn't play certain cups/events still get to see what has been going on, and the sick recs and kuskis get recognition). Maybe some pre-recorded videos with certain people who have had big achievements (wcup winner, wrs, sick contributions, etc etc)

I would for sure watch such a show, and honestly I would be up for participating too, although i don't know anything about elma :(
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

specter2 wrote: 2 Dec 2020, 09:45 ... perhaps just gather some highlights each year and present them in a nice format. People can suggest achievements, contributions, creations.. anything without considering which category they would belong. There won't be any voting, just the GAA team gathering the suggestions and presenting the highlights...
I gotta agree with Igge's and specter's suggestions.

Similar to Academy Awards (Oscars), the winner would be selected from among the nominees by plurality voting of all GAA jury members. Also there could deffinitely be fewer categories - it is not that hard to tailor-make them every year depending on the nominations by the community.

I've been in GAA jury for several years and there's a ton of work associated with GAA and at times it somewhat felt that the hard work is not appreciated enough by the community. I've loved it, though. With changes mentioned above, it would feel to me that being the GAA jury is truly prestigious, because the results depend solely on the jury. Maybe the community could choose GAA jury members each year instead?
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I think it doesn't work directly so that "we just voted you to the prestigious position of doing tons of work". If they're nominated then the jury members would only view the nominations and pick their likings.

I think the idea of having an evening of showing off the cool things of the year sounds nicer than the award gala. Maybe they could be combined but so that the awards wouldn't be the main thing. Still I see tons of work for gathering all the cool things that have happened. Where's Lousku monthly?
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

Yes i think there shouldn't be any voting by anyone, any awards or any winners in any category and the categories shouldn't be predefined or exist at all. But of course the levels, replays etc. would be grouped in the presentation. It is very artificial to vote or decide between five great levels for example, and it doesn't serve any purpose to get a single "winner" decided by a selection of people.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

agree with specter osv
39:37,91
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Orcc wrote: 2 Dec 2020, 11:57Still I see tons of work for gathering all the cool things that have happened. Where's Lousku monthly?
This. No matter if we do it the classic way or this new way that's suggested, there's a not insignificant amount of work for a jury to do. And to be honest there doesn't seem to be a lot of motivation in the current jury. So if we want anything to happen at all there needs to be someone who's willing to do it.
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

gaa 2020 will not be?oo

just its almost april 2021 now and it stilll wasnt imo
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

it's still not 2022 yet
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

AndrY wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 07:07gaa 2020 will not be?oo
There was a lot of ideas but the moment I said we needed someone to actually do the work it was crickets, so what do you think
AndrY
38mins club

Post by AndrY »

Kopaka wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 18:03
so what do you think
duno:(
it seems too late
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

AndrY wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 19:50
Kopaka wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 18:03
so what do you think
duno:(
it seems too late
never too late, still EARLY and QUITE MANY things happened, just look at ELMA STEAM and WORLD CUP... i'd love some show... what's that uberhard gathering all the things? just make a topic and everyone paste, somebody put it in order, and then some votings
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
AndrY
38mins club

Post by AndrY »

abruzzi wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 22:32 never too late, still EARLY and QUITE MANY things happened, just look at ELMA STEAM and WORLD CUP... i'd love some show... what's that uberhard gathering all the things? just make a topic and everyone paste, somebody put it in order, and then some votings
ohh so who can make a topic?

im only playing battles here. really i just realised there was no gaa and surprised, nothing more. but its disturbing. and if so many ppl want to do it, do it if you want pls, it would be cool.

and where are all people who arranged it in previous years? it looks like the stop of gaa was caused by creating this topic.
its bad idea to create topics like "... future" mb nowadays:/
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Andry - organising and preparing gaa has always been a ton of work for the jurors. Berh - what's that uberhard gathering and selecting the most notable events, levels, replays, contests and achievements from a whole year, and then to somehow go through it, organise it into something digestible and present it so that it's nice to read? If you really don't know then give it a try.

No matter the idea we were to go with, it would involve a lot of work, and given the very small and still decreasing interest, nobody in the current jury was particularly keen to invest the time for only a few people to even notice. And no one new volunteered either, so not organising anything was the only outcome really.

This is not to say that gaa won't happen ever again, but there are two prerequisites for it imo - significant interest, and keen new jurors/gatherers.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Maybe there should be some ~45 minute stream where some knowledgable kuskis recap 2020. There might be some video with cool recs from 2020 in the background. They can discuss the recs from the video too, stop the video or rewind it if needed. People who watch stream could also suggest recs to be shown or ask questions idk. Porbably still too much work or not enough things to talk about, but imo better than normal gaa :killer: :blushes:
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

There are many ideas but problem will always come back to same issue - who wants to put in the effort to host such a thing?

:gaa:
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I'm not that interested in GAA anymore.
But I would like to see one winner from any category. That would make it special imo :)
Maybe five or up to ten nominees.
Pocho
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by Pocho »

Henlo. We was chatting with @Sla a few days back. We agreed GAA was najs.

We also thought about participating in some form of virtual-worldwide-elma-meeting via Discord like once a year, around late December each year, so to say.

And GAA could be hosted live, or some form of recognition ceremony and highlights of teh year, or something.

But as said previously... it all boils down at the people wanting to host sach... Because lots will participate for sure imho, but some guys need to take the megaphone and say things with some sort of structure... It shouldn't be a chaos 20+ people videocall.

That's where people like me or Sla fall short. We are either not big enough within Elma, or not enough charismatic... But we'll for sure like to hang out an evening on videocall, if it's once a year. Cheers

Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Grace wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 23:03 There are many ideas but problem will always come back to same issue - who wants to put in the effort to host such a thing?

I know that simply quoting this and dropping it here isn't necessarily all that helpful, but this is still the problem. The event itself is totally fine to host - a little nervewracking but for a lot of the GAA jurors, it's the fun part.

Indeed, I'm still happy to host the actual event (as I'm sure many of the other jurors are too) but I just don't have the time & motivation for all of the other stuff surrounding GAA

The months leading up to the GAA show where we have to sort through all the options and select candidates is always going to be the hard part, and that's the same for all these suggestions of "highlights of the year". We of course discussed the same idea in GAA jury but came to the same conclusion.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96