FEM 2022: 11.-18.7.

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

nick-o-matic
Kuski

FEM 2022: 11.-18.7.

Post by nick-o-matic »

Dear everyone,

FEM dates are officially confirmed: :apple: :flower: :head: Monday 11th of July to Monday 18th of July :head: :flower: :apple:

I was thinking of trying this kind of Monday-Monday period as opposed to the previous Wednesday-Wednesday periods. This time the weekend will be a proper climax of the event. Monday will be the cleaning day, I hope many would stay for that and help.

After two covid years it looks like safe to say that covid is over to a reasonable extent (let's still be safe and not arrive sick osvosv), at least all the travel should be oke so I am hopeful to see more extensive participation, especially internationally. This year should be particularly attractive for international participation since we are now living very topical times for war-related tourism, both WWII and possible upcoming WWIII. Regarding the former, just as one example the Simo Häyhä museum is close, highly recommended, see the tourism guide below. Also Parikkala and even our farm has plenty of war history. Regarding the latter, our farm is at prime location for observing/participating in any future happenings of interest.

Who is coming?

Confirmed:
  • adi Image (full time)
  • A.K.B. Image (full time)
  • bene Image Image Image Image Image Image (Wed-Sun)
  • ElrondMcBong Image (Mon-Thu)
  • finman Image (somehow some day)
  • Harald Hasch Image
  • Markku Image (full time)
  • nick-o-matic Image (full time)
  • Raven Image (Thu-Sat)
  • roope Image (weekend + mb a day or two extra)
  • veezay Image + Antti Image (full time)
  • Zero Image (weekend + mb a day or two extra)
  • Ramone Image (Thu-Mon)
High chances:
  • terb0 Image (weekend max)
  • Kiiwi Image
  • Rast Image
Middle chances:
  • ILKKA Image
  • Jamppa Image
Low chances:
  • Ismo Image (weekend)
  • Lousku Image
  • ramses Image
  • Poq Image
Tourism in Eastern Finland

Especially for people coming from other countries or more faraway parts of Finland I would recommend to do some local sightseeing. I did my best to create a semi-comprehesive list of sights to you.

Koitsanlahti village:

Parikkala sculpture park (2km)
  • http://www.patsaspuisto.net/english/ | http://www.patsaspuisto.net/
  • Seriously a must see for everyone, a world-famous place
  • A masterpiece by our local Michelangelo. He created a huge sculpture park into his own yard and allowed people to visit there for free. Now he is dead and there is a small voluntary but recommended entrance fee
Café Iloinen pässi (2km) Border zone signs (1-2km)
  • Signs that tell you not to go any further to the border zones
  • Do not go any further
Local berry farm (4km) Koitsanlahti manor (Koitsanlahden hovi) (3km) Orthodox-Karelian graveyard of Koitsanlahti Parikkala/Rautjärvi/Punkaharju: Uimola smoke sauna (30km) Hinkanranta smoke sauna (67km) Kollaa and Simo Häyhä museum (30km) Papinniemi camping (60km) Simpele antique and collecting summer event 13.-14.7. (10km) Eastern Finland: Savonlinna opera festival (70km) Lappeenranta (90km) How to get there?

If you are not coming by a car or carpooling you should first get yourself to Helsinki by plane or ferry and then take a bus/train.

Trains from Helsinki:
https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/frontpage
Price 19€ (if you book early) to ~50€ (if you book late).

Busses from Helsinki (Onnibus):
http://www.onnibus.com/en/index.htm
Price ~10€ (if you book early) to ~20€ (if you book late).
Only the 17:00 departures go all the way to onion farm (rest of them stop at Lappeenranta).

Busses from Helsinki (norm busses):
https://www.matkahuolto.fi/fi/
Price 19€ (constant price (I think??)).

Optionally, you can also fly to Lappeenranta if the few flights that exist match for you:
Arriving flights
Departing flights

If these options work for you, Lappeenranta would be the most convenient option. You basically get out of plane, show passport and get through quick security check (Lappeenranta airport is more like a bus station than an airport), take a shuttle bus or walk to train/bus station (they are close) and in one hour you are at onion farm.

You can even arrive from St. Petersburg. There are busses to Lappeenranta and Imatra and you can get a train ticket all the way to onion farm as well (train change in Kouvola).

After you are in either Simpele or Parikkala, someone will pick you up. Simpele is preferable if you come from the south. However, not all trains stop in Simpele since this year, so you might have to go all the way to Parikkala. But all the busses stop there.

If you come by car, there are two possible gravel road routes to our farm, shown on the map. However, if you are coming from Parikkala direction or go to Parikkala to do shopping, please avoid the one small bit of road drawn in this map. It is being maintained by a local farm, and they collect fees from villagemans that use it (it is norm system in Fin countryside). However, we don't pay anything to them so we should avoid traffic which can be related to us on that road.
Last edited by nick-o-matic on 10 Jul 2022, 14:23, edited 25 times in total.
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Re: FEM 2022: 11.-18.7.

Post by zebra »

Nice to see that FEM will be arranged again. However, you can count me out, I cannot participate this year.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

99% :)
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

High chances for me, probably 13-18th ish.
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Very good Zero and Kopa
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I will spontaneously arrive if I do based on how I feel and whether or not I jump in the car that zamppe is going with to get there or not.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

I'll be in southeast Europe travelling with my smol family during that time. Hopefully next year and have fun y'all!!!
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

Super High Chances! 99%!

Looks like Kosmos Festival is sold out, i will try to get in as a volunteer.

Can't wait!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I'll be travelling exactly that week, tickets already bought etc :/
But nice to see the event taking place again! Hopefully next year I can join <3
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Only 1 month left, would love to see some more people!
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Come along! Maybe I bring some aussie treats?? ;)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

This goes out to all people living closer to Finland than Australia: GET YOUR ASS TO FEM. :head:
ElrondMcBong
Kuski

Post by ElrondMcBong »

If AKB can make it, I can make it too :beer:
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

ElrondMcBong wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 16:56 If AKB can make it, I can make it too :beer:
What a legend! Looking forward to seeing you again soon! :D :beer:
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

I know I've been saying this year and again, but, Me and Rast (and hopefully Jamppa if possible) are excited and aiming to participate.

Money is an issue at the moment, but hopefully we will prevail. We will attend on as many days as we can as the budget is as of yet unknown.
Image "It's good to be having fun, but it'd be funnier to be good"
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Kiiwi wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 22:47 I know I've been saying this year and again, but, Me and Rast (and hopefully Jamppa if possible) are excited and aiming to participate.

Money is an issue at the moment, but hopefully we will prevail. We will attend on as many days as we can as the budget is as of yet unknown.
Stoke!!! It would be incredible to meet you! 8O Now I have to really think hard about my secret FEM event... :D
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

Kiiwi wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 22:47 I know I've been saying this year and again, but, Me and Rast (and hopefully Jamppa if possible) are excited and aiming to participate.

hopefully money isn't an issue. i remember we had the option to pay less than the amount if money was scarce. i'm sure we will find a way. even if i have to make soup for the homeless:)
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

I will attend FEM22. Arriving late Thursday in Turkku. then a little bit of a drive. But sick!
Ill travel back to Sweden from Turkku on monday evening.

See you soon!

:****
Elasto Mania - ez better
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I decided to go Wednesday evening from JKL and leave on Sunday. If someone needs a ride there are seats in car available.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Lots of good news! Welcome everyone.

I really don't want anyone to not to come because of money so we can be very flexible with attendance fees with people with very tight money situation. At this point there are no very big expenses anymore (this is the first year I didn't buy new things). Electricity, hot water, firewood, etc - few hundreds of euros. So from now on basically most of the money goes to my parents for upkeeping of the place. As you will see, the place is just nicer and nicer year after year, my parents are putting lots of effort and also money on the place and they deserve some financial help for that. So I would say that from now on the FEM payments are going to be a little bit like voluntary donations for my parents. They have been a bit into that direction instead of a fixed price for a while already, but now even more. So if you simply can't pay, I think it is more important to get more cool people attending than those ppls not coming at all. And I am sure that everyone of those who are paying will agree.

What it comes to other costs, Onnibus offers insanely cheap tickets from Helsinki. Unfortunately now it is getting too late for the best prices, but I guess they still are quite cheap.

Btw related to this stuff, I have plenty of uncollected old payments. Sorry for not being proactive with those, I have been busy and have had lots of stuff hanging. So please pay now at fem or lets talk over PMs or something if you are not coming this year.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

I thought I could possibly come but, it will not be possible due to my newly found drinking habits.
It simply will not happen until I can do either of these two things: Quit alcohol, save enough for alco and all the traveling expenses + food.
So maybe next year!
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Hosp. I leave sthl thur morning 7:45
If wanna cotravel. I gsve room on ferry. Ferry home mon evening.
Elasto Mania - ez better
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Was totally sick meeting and great to see familiar faces. :) Hope you enjoyed special FEM Riddle 2022!!!! Wish I could have also met Raven, Kiiwi and others, but perhaps next time? ;)

Here is the recipe for the Italian meat sauce I made. You can of course be approximate with the ingredients or change/substitute/add things at your will. I forgot mushrooms the second time I made this, and it's still really good, so vegetarian reimaginings etc. would probably be quite nice/good if you're willing to experiment.

Ingredients:
-2-3 onions (depends on size: 2 large onions is good)
-half a head of garlic (at least 8 normal sized cloves)
-2 zucchinis
-mushrooms (from 1/2 to full paper bag)
-2 chillies
-1kg beef/pork mince
-5 rashers of bacon
-6 anchovies (I used a tinful, which was more like 12+)
-1 beef stock pot (like this)
-2 cans crushed tomatoes (approx. 400g each)
-tomato paste (2 sachets with concentrate [~100g total], or just a small box of tomato paste)
-olive oil
-oregano
-thyme
-chilli powder/dried chilli flakes
-salt
-cracked black pepper
-pasta
-cheese

Method:

1. Cook onions with olive oil on frying pan (medium heat) until translucent. Mince/finely chop garlic and add to onions in last 1 min of cooking. Transfer into large pot, with a good dash of olive oil.

2. Chop zucchini (approx. 1-2cm pieces) and put in large pot with onions. Heat can be on low while you do other stuff now.

3. Cook mince on frying pan. Finely chop anchovies as mince begins cooking then add. You can transfer this meat to the large pot just before all meat is cooked through, as it will continue cooking in large pot.

4. Cook bacon on frying pan, then transfer to large pot.

5. Slice mushrooms and cook them in the frying pan. Thinly slice chillies and add to mushrooms while they cook. Once the mushrooms have cooked down to a much smaller size and have turned brown, then transfer them to the large pot.

6. Add beef stock pot, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste to the large pot and stir through. Add a good shake (at least 1 tsp) of oregano and thyme to the large pot, also add any chilli powder/flakes you like here.

7. Turn the heat up for the large pot, stirring everything well (so it doesn't stick) until it begins to boil. Lower temperature to low, so that the mixture is simmering. While simmering, stir the mixture around every 20 mins, make sure to taste it and add salt/pepper to taste. Usually best results occur if you allow it to simmer for about 2 hours, so it thickens up a bit.

8. Once the meat sauce is cooked, then make some pasta, serve meat sauce on top, then grate some cheese on top to finish it off. Yum!!!!

Serves 6-8 (I think)

Hopefully I didn't forget much, but have fun with that. :D
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Pics were not posted here yet https://mm.1g.fi/kuvat/FEM2022/